[OOC] – M&M 3e – A New Heaven and New Earth - Game Halted

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Spectrum

Re: [OOC] – M&M 3e – A New Heaven and New Earth - (Recruiting 3 by Invitation Only)

Post by Spectrum »

Hey there, you hit me at just the right time. I'm very glad to be part of the group. :)
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
mrdent12

Re: [OOC] – M&M 3e – A New Heaven and New Earth - (Recruiting Complete!)

Post by mrdent12 »

It's going to be an interesting cast to be sure.
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

mrdent12,

I was just looking over your motivations and complications. Is there any additional information that you want to send me about your enemy, Russ? You could provide me a little bit more background about him or simply leave it to me to fill in everything else about him. It's up to you. It's just that when "Enemy" is taken as a complication, GMs have a way of presenting the enemy in a very different way than the player may have imagined them. ;)

-S
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

He's the standard crime boss peddling in drugs, prostitutes, and gambling. I left him fairly generic with his only quality being out for revenge.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Supernaturalist, kinda in a holding pattern until I hear back from you :)

Throw a dress maker fabric-telekinetic/creator into the mix of concepts that are floating through my head :)

How much of slice of life versus combat efficiency do I need to be looking at?

Thanks!
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Nicola Russ

Bio:

A former member of some Boston criminal syndicates, Nicola moved to Atlanta to make his own empire. With his various connections, he got some girls from Russia, drugs from Mexico and Afghanistan, and opened a few card rooms. His reputation in the underworld was one who kept a calm face, but was brutal if you crossed him. Despite what he projected, the truth was he was a manager type who resold products be it women or drugs. His name came on the radar of the FBI due to helping facilitate a shipment of plutonium that was ultimately intercepted by the FBI. They didn't have any evidence on him though, so they couldn't hold him.

Being on the FBI radar only boosted his street cred. An agent managed to infiltrate the organization once, but was quickly found out. They were never heard from again. His operations relied on middle men and shell companies that seemed legit. One even sold socks. Still, his revenue came form the classic drugs, women forced into prostitution from Russia, and good old gambling. This helped pay for various people in the FBI and local cops to keep him up to date on any investigations into him. That was until he was brought down by Robert, a PI, looking into him.

Since being arrested and convicted of human trafficking and drug smuggling, his contacts have stopped calling, but he still has some influence on the outside because of bank accounts the FBI was never able to track.

Personality:

He is ruthless, but cunning. Some of his actions can be irrational, but at the end of the day its money he wants. Mess with that and he will find a way to mess with you.
Supernaturalist

Spectrum wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:37 am Supernaturalist, kinda in a holding pattern until I hear back from you :)

Throw a dress maker fabric-telekinetic/creator into the mix of concepts that are floating through my head :)

How much of slice of life versus combat efficiency do I need to be looking at?

Thanks!
Spectrum, I PMed you. Sorry, I didn't realize you were waiting on feedback from me.
Supernaturalist

mrdent12,

Thank you for providing the info. That's more than enough with which to work.

-S
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

No worries mate. Robert is setup to be a character full of hooks. He's modeled off the classical cop/pi who gets beat up, into sticky situations, yet still manages to come out in the end ok.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Arachne - PL 8

Arachne - PL 8

Strength 0, Stamina 3, Agility 8, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect 3, Awareness 8, Presence 0

Advantages
Benefit, Ambidexterity, Benefit, Athletics Based on Agility, Benefit, Status: Famous, Benefit, Wealth 2 (independently wealthy), Connected, Contacts, Equipment 1, Fascinate (Expertise: Fashion and Style), Favored Foe: Wealthy, Great Endurance, Improved Grab, Jack-of-all-trades, Skill Mastery: Expertise: Fashion and Style, Well-informed

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+10), Athletics 2 (+10), Expertise: Fashion and Style 12 (+15), Insight 2 (+10), Perception 2 (+10), Persuasion 10 (+10)

Powers
8 Legged Freak: Extra Limbs 4 (4 extra limbs, Advantages: Benefit, Ambidexterity, Improved Grab) [5]
Arachnids: Comprehend 2 (Animals - Speak To, Animals - Understand; Limited: Arachnids) [2]
Silk Armor: Protection 5 (Removable, +5 Toughness) [4]
Spider Senses: Senses 6 (Analytical: Vision, Analytical: Touch, Infravision, Microscopic Vision 1: dust-size, Radius: Sight, Ultravision) [6]
Spider Style [18, 2+2+14]
. . Caught in my web: Cumulative Affliction 8 ([0 active, 0/13 PP, 1/r+4], 1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Immobile, DC 18; Accurate 4: +8, Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Contagious, Cumulative; Limited Degree, Unreliable (5 uses)) [12]
. . Spinning a web: Create 8 ([0 active, 0/13 PP, 1/r+5], Volume: 250 cft., DC 18, Advantages: Inventor; Innate, Precise, Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - Sticky and Strong; Reduced Range: close) [13]
. . Wall Walking (Advantages: Prone Fighting) [13]
. . . . Gliding: Flight 4 ([0 active, 0/13 PP, 1/r], Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round; Gliding) [4]
. . . . Lots of Legs: Speed 2 ([0 active, 0/13 PP, 1/r], Speed: 8 miles/hour, 120 feet/round) [2]
. . . . Movement: Movement 3 ([0 active, 0/13 PP, 2/r], Swinging, Wall-crawling 2: full speed) [6]

Equipment
The Web

Offense
Initiative +8
Caught in my web: Cumulative Affliction 8, +8 (DC Dog/Fort/Will 18)
Grab, +0 (DC Spec 10)
Throw, +0 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +0 (DC 15)

Complications
Enemy: Antimutant Bigots
Fame: Hot new designer
Motivation: Acceptance
Obsession: Working
Prejudice: Obvious Mutant
Responsibility: Industrial Applications
Responsibility: Small Business Owner

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 8, Toughness 8, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 44 + Powers 35 + Advantages 13 + Skills 15 (30 ranks) + Defenses 13 = 120

The Web - PL 8

Toughness 6, Size Medium

Features:
Gym, Living Space, Personnel, Workshop

Power Points
Abilities 1 + Powers 0 + Advantages 0 + Features 4 + Skills 0 (0 ranks) + Defenses 0 + Equipment 0 (0 ep) + Weapons & Armor 0 (0 ep) = 5

Birth name: Rebekah Yoder

Focus on!
The scene opens to a community tv quality setup, two comfortable chairs in front of a small studio audience. In one chair sits Yolanda Porter, a heavy set African American woman with a ‘just so’ hairdo and wardrobe. For the audience, she has a huge smile. Her body also speaks of unease whenever she glances towards her guest. The guest is well, put mildly, a freak, an abomination, unclean. What could have one been attractive features are marked by signs of the Beast, huge multifaceted dark eyes, smaller eyes trailing out across her cheekbones. Dangerous looking mandibles jutting out from a dark lipped maw. Her dress, a milky white in color, drapes beautifully over her form. Six arms fidget, unsure where to rest, some crossed over the chest, others gripping the arms of the chair tightly.

“Welcome back. Today, we have a very special guest, the costume designer and stylist Ariana!”

The audience politely claps. A call of Freak can be heard from the audience.

“I’m very glad to be here Ms Porter but my name is Arachne. Thank you for having me on your show.”

“So what kind of name is Arachne? Why did you choose it for yourself?”

“It’s ancient Greek. Arachne was a great weaver and very proud of her skills. Too proud. She claimed that her skills were better than their goddess of crafting. Further, she said that her skills did not come from the gods.”

Yolanda, and thus the audience, shows signs of boredom.

“Well, as the Greek gods often did, that ended up very poorly from the woman was turned into a spider. Arachne, arachnid, spiders..” A momentary pause, “I’ve always admired spiders and their incredible webs.”

“Rumor has it that you grew up in a cult but escaped when you were a teenager.”

“I wouldn’t put it that way. I grew up in a small Amish community. It was severe, it was strict, but it also felt right to me. Just like any child, I used to love being around friends. It was a simple life but it was a good life. Community is so important! People cared about each other and came together for the common good. I used to love being part of the quilting circles.”

“So why did you leave?”

“It’s not unusual for young people to spend a year or two out in the English. Sorry, the normal world. To knowingly make the decision to stay in the community and become an adult. I left with a few friends and headed out to Atlanta. My eyes were opened and well, the community would say that I had become corrupted by the sinful worldly ways. *a moment of quiet* My eyes once open could not close again. I worked odd jobs, lots of odd jobs. For a while I was a plumbers assistant, a nanny, worked fast food, did some telephone sales, but at every chance, I was doing something creative with my hands. *all six flutter in the air* I was really lucky to work with some musical acts and a few plays.”

“Is that about that the time that you became well..” a gesture.

“Actually, yes. The stories about how someone changes are often different. In my case, it truly was a chrysalis. I was living with a few friends in a really tiny apartment. We were almost living on top of each other. I kept a few spiders as well, pets is the wrong word, but made sure that they had some nice tidbits to eat and that their webs weren’t disturbed. I just thought that I was getting sick, some flu or another that just kept getting worse. Everyone else was out, living their lives, when the fever got really bad and I started to hallucinate. I thought that the spiders were crawling into my mouth. So many of them.”

Yolanda starts to look uneasy, a few gasps from the crowd.

“Well, about a week later, I came back to and thought that I was trapped like a mummy. I eventually struggled free and discovered that I was cocooned like a fly. Some of my roommates were freaked out, some of them were excited, many of them were very supportive. I may be a mutie freak, but I was their mutie freak.” An uneasy laugh from the audience. “I still needed to pay rent and feed myself so I tried my hand at what I was always good at, making clothing. A few of my friends took them out and started selling them. Soon word was spreading and there just wasn’t enough space in the apartment to do everything. I looked for something bigger and outgrew it, and took my friends with me. I was amazed at how successful it all was. People started asking for special orders and to meet me.”

“After a really awkward start I opened The Parlour to the public. I’ll admit, I’ve had to make some really hard decisions. On one hand, I still wanted to help as many people as I can. On the other, people were willing to throw really obscene amounts of money at me. I try to find a way to slip between the two, helping out the community around me with my God given talents, through time and through money.”

“You still live in Freaktown?”

“I do, and I love it there. ‘Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.’ Philippians 4:8. Yes, there are some jerks in the community but for a very large part, it is Love and it is Community.”

“You’ve done some amazing work.”

“Thank you! I love to experiment and see what new things I can try. Sometimes it’s the quest to make someone feel as beauty as they are on the inside. I even did a flying suit that came close to breaking the world record on distance flown. It’s fun! I really shouldn’t give details, but a few businesses have even approached me about industrial uses of the webbing but nothing set in stone yet.”

“Do you have a boyfriend?”

“No. *laughs* No. Can you imagine that first kiss? Maybe. Someday. Love is more about two hearts touching than the physical.”

“Anything that you’d like to finish up with.”

“Just to thank you, all of you for being so patient with me today. Oh! And check out the Charlotte’s Web play at the Children’s Theatre until October First. It was great working with all of the kids. So talented!”

“And that’s all for today, I want to thank all our wonderful guests today!”
Last edited by Spectrum on Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Probably worth asking, do I need to spend EP for a car and basic loft/office. Neither would be special in anyway.
Supernaturalist

Spectrum,

I'm interested to see the backstory particularly how he co-workers and business connections/partners react to her obvious physical transformation. Just remember that a substantially different physical appearance (especially a scary one) will be a huge complication. Also, some points of clarification about the powers...1) your "Tailors" power allows you to move any fabric that you can touch (or just the fabric you create)? and if the former then 2) by "fabric" you mean broadly any kind of woven, flexible material?

-S
Last edited by Supernaturalist on Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supernaturalist

mrdent12 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:00 pm Probably worth asking, do I need to spend EP for a car and basic loft/office. Neither would be special in anyway.
As long as neither are special, then I would say no.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Yep, its a generic car and office/live in loft. For the loft, think Jessica Jones type office with space to live and a safe.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

This week has been really rough, haven't been able to sit down and put pen to paper, finger to keyboard.

Some high points:
Arachne is a fashion designer that makes her own spidersilk to create clothing. With her special senses, she is also able to put infrared or ultraviolent patterns into the clothing. She is also talented enough to create clothing with small effects, such as advantages or things like gliding. All of those factors make her a darling of the Atlanta trendy. Unfortunately, this has also brought her to the eye of antimutant bigots and they are using her as an example of just how deluded people are in thinking that mutants are safe.

I would also like to throw in an element from Aberrant with eufiber, allowing the silk to function in a wide variety of industrial applications, such as communications or construction.