[OOC] – M&M 3e – A New Heaven and New Earth - Game Halted

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Supernaturalist

Re: [OOC] – M&M 3e – A New Heaven and New Earth - (Recruiting Complete!)

Post by Supernaturalist »

Spectrum,

The things you mentioned about her ability to create empowered clothing make sense given her Inventor Advantage. The only thing that seems odd is that she has a zero intellect. Even though this is considered "average", I typically expect more than that from an inventor, especially one who can create fabrics with exceptional qualities and even certain powers.

I've been a little busy this week, so give me this weekend to look over the character some more. I do think it could be interesting for you to be the "outsider" even among mutants with your appearance. It will certainly present role-playing possibilities that might not be Robert and Sahir.

-S
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Would you allow AWE to used for the skill instead of INT? More of an intuition rather than knowledge based concept?

I'm also not completely sold on the fabric-kinesis concept. If you have a better suggestion there, I'm open to it. Maybe more spidery?

Sorry, things have been a beat down over here. I'm hoping to get enough time this weekend to put together something more substantial.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

With someone who doesn't look quite human, I am getting a strong XMen vibe. Sahir and Robert should be able to get by, but someone obviously not standard human will be fun to see
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I'm glad that I inspired some ideas!

One thing that would be fun to play with but is a bit risky in today's political climate...

There were quite a few successful black businesses before desegregation. The owners found an under-served market and did very very well for themselves. In the wake of desegregation, many of those businesses closed due to their market having more choices.

Could something similar be done for the mutant population?

I do like the idea of Arachne having a wider clientele and having a small following upon their those that genuinely appreciate the style or are trying to win social consciousness points.
Supernaturalist

Spectrum wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:44 pm Would you allow AWE to used for the skill instead of INT? More of an intuition rather than knowledge based concept?

I'm also not completely sold on the fabric-kinesis concept. If you have a better suggestion there, I'm open to it. Maybe more spidery?

Sorry, things have been a beat down over here. I'm hoping to get enough time this weekend to put together something more substantial.
To me, the fabric-kinesis source for a power-array makes more sense if it were a magical origin rather than a mutant one. Of course, someone might respond that Storm has a broad weather control power (and she is a mutant). To which I have to admit "Yeah, you're right." Still, there's something about concept that seems magical or other-worldly.

On the other hand, a more "spidery" type concept is quite viable for a mutant origin. Theoretically, humans and spiders shared a common evolutionary ancestor well over half-a billion years ago. Perhaps your mutation altered certain genes in a manner that resemble genes in certain species of arachnids. The bottom line is that you now have organs that perform remarkably similar functions to certain species of spiders. Whereas Peter Parker was altered by a radioactive spider-bite, you were actually born with the genetic potential to develop spider-like abilities. I dunno. What do you think? If you want, you can play around with your power points in order to tweak your abilities and powers.
Supernaturalist

Spectrum wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:51 pm I'm glad that I inspired some ideas!

One thing that would be fun to play with but is a bit risky in today's political climate...

There were quite a few successful black businesses before desegregation. The owners found an under-served market and did very very well for themselves. In the wake of desegregation, many of those businesses closed due to their market having more choices.

Could something similar be done for the mutant population?

I do like the idea of Arachne having a wider clientele and having a small following upon their those that genuinely appreciate the style or are trying to win social consciousness points.
Even if you make changes to your character's fundamental powers, I still think your background story largely holds. I'm still a little wary about allowing the inventor advantage with such an average intelligence. You have a 10 awareness (and a 10 agility) which are well into the superhuman range of power. You could drop down to 8 in either and still have levels that no normal human could ever attain regardless of training or natural talent.

Now, I'm not compelling you to drop these, but I think for the type of technology that you want to produce the lowest intellect you could have would be a 2. You are after all wanting to imbue clothing with advantages and powers. I'm probably low-balling the intelligence you'd need to have, but I'm willing to go that low at first.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I'll play around with points.

Do I need to be meet the tradeoffs? That would open up the points dramatically more.
Supernaturalist

Spectrum wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:41 pm I'll play around with points.

Do I need to be meet the tradeoffs? That would open up the points dramatically more.
You do not need to meet the PL cap limit on tradeoffs, but I would not go very far below them.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Thank you for the suggestions. I have updated the sheet again.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

To me, the fabric-kinesis source for a power-array makes more sense if it were a magical origin rather than a mutant one. Of course, someone might respond that Storm has a broad weather control power (and she is a mutant). To which I have to admit "Yeah, you're right." Still, there's something about concept that seems magical or other-worldly.
With mutants like Storm, I always keep in mind she is Omega Level, so her powers are theoretically limitless. PL wise that translate for me at least to anywhere between PL 8 to PL 15 depending on various things(in comics its editors) related to her state of mind and control.
Supernaturalist

Spectrum,

At first glance, I like what I see. You have time to come up with a backstory as Camus will not be back to join us until early August. Also, remember that the manifestation of your mutant powers and appearance only took place within the last year. When you find the time, could you produce a picture of what Arachne looked like prior to her manifestation? That is the appearance that many/most people will remember you by at first. My assumption is that many friends and family will take your transformation pretty hard. I'll scrutinize the build this evening and get back to you with feedback tomorrow, but as I said the general direction you've taken it looks good to me.

-S
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Went down the image rabbit hole. I have selected an additional two pictures of what she looked like before (and a true name).

I'm close on the background, just need to put 'pen to paper'.
Supernaturalist

Spectrum,

Thank you for the pre-manifestation pics. I also sent you a PM.

-S
Supernaturalist

Ok, I looked over Spectrum's revisions for his character and approved them. So, Arachne needs to be updated with the new character info. We are still waiting for Camus to return from vacation and submit a build. I just wanted to let everyone know where we were, and say "thank you" for your patience.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

No worries mate. Should be a fun game.