Small Town Heroes (IC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
MrTweedy

Small Town Heroes (IC)

Post by MrTweedy »

Most people have heard of the theory of parallel universes, well, they exist. How many are there? Well people say infinite, but who's to say really. At the end of the day, it's not really important, not to this anyway. This tale takes place in a universe that if scientists named, it would be called S-1. It is a universe where what we call legends, myths and fantasy, they call history and fact. It is universe the world was changed, history diverging from our own in 1939. It was then when powers, magic and even divine forces were not just present, but were weaponised and manufactured. Where there were only a few anomalous powers here and there, possessed by a rare few, now there were hundreds, and that number only grew. WWII caused a huge amount of destruction across the globe, more than had been seen in our universe, whole cities were completely lost forever, and much of Eastern Asia lost connection from the rest of the world. What has happened to much of that continent still remains a mystery.

It was during the way that a new source of paranormal abelites arose. During the explosion that destroyed Hiroshima, a now famous scientist called Nakajima Shiko released a huge blast of what is now called the -H-strain, a form of radiation that effectively accelerate human evolution on a genetic level. The results were wild and unpredictable, but fatalities were surprisingly low. The strain was passed through the generations as a recessive gene, and it caused a huge spike in the number of super beings the world saw.

Many portions of history were changed after this, with such power, how could it not be? Crisis after crisis that our universe suffered through were averted, but many that we never saw were inflicted upon S-1. The next major shift came from 'the Red Scare'. Super powers or not, America still feared the spread of communism. Both sides begun to stockpile as many heroes as they could, preparing for while simultaneously trying to ensure it never happened. Mutually assured destruction was used to hold war at bay, but a subtler battle was fought beneath the surface. Spies begun to replace the war heroes of old, with supernatural beings taking on roles in the CIA, the KGB, MI6 and so on. It was a dark time in the world, as the production of heroes continues for less heroic needs.

As the cold war progressed, the Vietnam war begun. The Vietnam war was one of the first major pushes into Asia since WWII, and the American army found a wild and untamed place. Civilisation had been forced into tight clusters to of towns and cities, with the wild in between being dominated by strange creatures and monstrous entities. Where the Vietnamese had learnt to adapt to this life, the Americans and their allies were poorly prepared for this warfare.

In 1970, a team of American paranormal troops lead by a C.I.A. agent; known now to the public only as Mr Red, stumbled across a village in the jungle of Vietnam, and it was there that a startling discovery made that rocked the globe, perhaps more so than the use of superheroes. The team had discovered elves. Despite everything the world had seen, all sentient races had always been human. This was the first encounter with another intelligent race. Despite the efforts to cover this up, the public found out. Why they were there was never revealed to the public, nor why they were only discovered now.

It was as if there was a cascade effect across the globe. In the Soviet Union, trolls and ogres were discovered. In Norway and Ireland there giants, in Germany, more elves were discovered. These discoveries only spread as more and more of the worlds mythology was confirmed to be true. The world reacted very differently from country to country, person to person. Many races were oppressed and looked down on, while others thrived in this new world.

22 years have passed since then, and the world has settle down somewhat. The oppression and aggression of the past had begun to recede as the world moved towards a new century, where super humans and mythical beings were considered commonplace. In fact the vast majority had fully integrated into society, with only a few species and super beings remaining beyond civilisation. Heroes became government funded, or could receive private contracts, but to avoid the brand and punishment for being a vigilante, all who wished to be heroes had to attend a super school. It would be there that they would learn how to use their powers for good.

Of course, not everyone can afford to go to the kind of schools you see in the movies, not everyone has a rich guy in a wheelchair to take in students. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and accept what you have, and sometimes that is a crappy state funded school in your hometown. In New Jersey there is a town called Bass City. It has no claim to either of these titles, and is the kind of place that barley shows on a road map it is that unimportant. Despite this it was home to many, and many of those are children who dream of one day becoming heroes.

It is id September, 1992, and the first day of school is about to begin. The sun rises on the day, and for those first time students, it is time to wake up. What the day, the week, even the year holds for them is impossible to say, but one thing is certain, it is going to be exciting.
Last edited by MrTweedy on Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flynnarrel

Re: Small Town Heroes (IC)

Post by Flynnarrel »

JD Daniels

The bed was cramped for his large frame. It was a bare twin mattress sitting directly on the floor covered by a sleeping bag laid open. JD didn't know why it was called 'twin' when obviously not twins could share it. And JD didn't really need the sleeping bag for warmth - he never got cold these days. He debated if he even needed the bed. It was past 2am before he could get to sleep and here it was, the alarm beeping 6 and he was none the worst for wear. In the old days he might say that he was too excited for sleep or fatigue but this was a regular occurrence - even the solace of dreams was slowly being denied him. He debated skipping breakfast, food was another comfort that dwindled for JD, the tastes muted, the need fleeting, the zeal for it dying. But some things were ingrained, habits and routines offered comfort in their own ways. And Uncle Travis would flip his grits if JD skipped breakfast - that meal was sacrosanct in ARMY doctrine.

JD searched through two open-but-unpacked cardboard boxes and his suitcase to get all that he'd need for his morning hygiene and the school day ahead - toiletries, clothes, school supplies, backpack. He looked around his spartan room, walls still bare from their recent move in. Uncle Travis called it a 'blank canvas' and had given JD money for posters and other hangings. He'd even mentioned that if JD wanted a crucifix or other religious paraphernalia the teen should feel welcome to get some though the man's hesitation made it clear he didn't understand why JD might want such reminders. JD shrugged away the thoughts of room decor and went to the first room of the house unpacked - the upstairs gym. He'd insisted it be in an upstairs room. When JD was lifting he found that if he was straining near his max weight nearby soil would try to shift to assist. The further away he was from the ground during a workout, the better. He was sharing his fears about trying out for sports teams while keeping his "powers" (he always included quotes to remind him not to use the word 'curse') in check over dinner the previous night. Travis reminded him that this was a school for Enhanced and that JD didn't need to hold back. JD let the awkward subject drop quickly.

Freshly showered from a quick workout, JD came into the kitchen to the smell of lingering bacon and a note explaining that Uncle Travis had an early briefing with his new C.O. at Fort Dix, he apologized for not being able to see JD off but made bacon and eggs; there was a plate in the fridge. JD nibbled a corner of bacon, understanding that his Uncle's commute was a Goliath of a trial he couldn't fault the man for leaving early, but JD eschewed the breakfast and ended up grabbing an orange from the fruit bowl, hefting his small pack over his shoulder and taking a light jog to the bus stop.

The morning's air was crisp and fresh as JD forced a large lung-ful into his otherwise heavy lungs. This was his life now and he'd live it the best way he could. Right now, that meant waiting for a bus to a new school, filled with strangers and uncertainty.

Perception: 1d20+10 13
an in-auspicious beginning.
Last edited by Flynnarrel on Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Something pithy this way comes."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Sarah Dimple
HP: 1, Condition: Normal

Friday, July 11, 1997

"Mom, I can by my own stuff," the teen complained.
"I know dear. I'm just coming along to put it on my card. I get discounts for using the card."
"Jerry gets to shop by himself."
"Jerry is older than you."
"Jerry couldn't coordinate Garanimals."
She and her mother bought new clothes and school supplies. Keeping Mom out of the old lady stores was like pulling teeth, but Sarah managed to find several cute outfits that she couldn't wait to go home and blog about. There were even a couple notebooks with cute cats on them.
"Isn't that Leon Goldfarb? Such a nice boy according Ellen, his mother. Do you ever talk to him?"
"MOTHER!!!"
"I'm just asking. It doesn't hurt to ask."
But it did hurt to be asked, Sarah thought.
Finally they made it back to the car and everything fit inside. Not there was any doubt, but her mother always joked that it wouldn't. Sarah was tuning out her mother and her continuing litany of the positive qualities of this or that friends teenage son. Out of nowhere, Sarah felt her body rocked to the right and the car was suddenly on its roof. She did not remember anything else as it was suddenly dark.

Sunday, July 27, 1997

Darkness. Pain. It hurt to open her eyes. When she did, it was still dark. She was surrounded by thick pillows. Moving them aside she found she was in a box with a curved lid. A coffin. She screamed. She then realized she needed to breathe and stopped screaming. She pushed against the lid but it would not budge. She tried again. Nothing. She felt around the edges and found a gap between the lid and lower part. She tried to get he finger in and it seemed to just slip through the gap. She kept this up and soon she was half in the coffin and half in the dirt around. Trying not to think about the worms and bugs in the dirt, she squeezed out of the coffin into the dirt and found herself on the surface. It was dawn, or dust, she was not sure which. She turned around as saw pretty flowers. Behind them was a tombstone:

Sarah Kaye Dimple
Beloved Daughter
b. November 8, 1983
d. July 11, 1997

She ran her fingers across the freshly chiseled stone. Her hands looked funny, they had a ruddy color. She repressed the urge to scream. It was a mistake. She wasn't dead. She just woke up in a... No, no, it was a mistake.

She ran. She fled the cemetery and ran. She noticed a sign for Cape May Courthouse and headed that way since she knew how to get home from there. Soon she was on her block heading to the house. She rushed through the front door and went to her room.
"Who's there?" Her mother called. Her voice sounded weak.
"It's just me, Mom," she replied.
"Who?? James, who's here?"
"Coming, Dear," her father called from downstairs.

In her room she kissed her fingertips and touched the kiss to Nick Carter, Taylor Hanson, and Jared Leto, or at least the posters of them. She started to remove the filthy dress she was barely still wearing. It was a lovely shade of peach at one time, she guessed. But it was all ripped. That's when she noticed her skin was reddish-orange, almost like a clay pot.

Her father pushed open the door. "Who do you think you are?" He demanded.
"I'm getting dressed, Daddy. Please leave."
"Get out of my daughter's room this instant, you vagrant."
"Daddy, it's me. Sarah."
"Sarah is dead you evil girl. What kind of prank is this?" He reached out and to grab her arm but she slipped past his attempted grab.
"What? No, it's me. Don't you recognize me?"
"No, I don't. Now leave before I call the police."
"James, stop. Look at the dress she's wearing," Geena hobbled into the room, leaning against a wall. Her leg was in a cast and she had several prominent bruises on her arms and face.
"What?"
"Her dress. That's Sarah's dress."
"It can't be," James said. "Can it?"
"Mom, what happened to you?" Sarah asked.
"There was a car accident," Geena said. "I broke my leg and was severely bruised. Jerry had a few scratches. And Sarah..."
"Sarah died."
"I didn't die."
"You don't look like Sarah and if you did, you would have a gash in your face," he said placing his hand edgewise on his face indicating a cut from the lower right side of his jaw to his opposite temple.
"No," Sarah said as she moved to her vanity. She looked in the mirror and saw a red-skinned teenager who looked nothing like herself. "No. NO!" And suddenly her skin color returned to its normal hue but still her face was different. Several times she shifted to the reddish coloring to her normal coloring, and each time, her face was different. "NO!!"
She turned around. "You call me Pumpkin." She pointed at James. "And you were trying to get me to talk to a bunch of boys who are your friends kids. I didn't die. In that closet are 15 dresses, 12 skirts, 19 blouses, 7 pairs of jeans,...."
"Sarah, Sarah, Sarah, it's you. It makes no sense but it's you. You've returned to us." Geena said.
"Are you s--?" James stopped mid-word from the look Geena gave him. "Let's get you cleaned up and take you to the hospital."
"But my face..."
"There must be an explanation."
But there was none. She was a mutant and apparently she could recover from death, and change shape.

Monday, July 28, 1997

"You're definitely a mutant, Sarah," the doctor said. "You aren't even breathing. Not sure how your system works. Your blood is very unusual."
"But I'm not dead, right?"
"No, of course not."
"Jerry called me Zombie Girl. But I'd have to be dead to be a zombie."
"I suppose that true. There's not a lot of literature on zombies."

Labor Day, Monday, September 1, 1997

Sarah had been going through her closet trying to decide what to wear the first day of school. The problem was she had no idea what her complexion would be. She did not see any reason to go Pla-Doh before now and then but sometimes she just had to. So to distract herself, she was putting her book bag together. She had her pencil box with pencils, pens, sharpeners, and erasers all set. She was collecting notepads when she picked up one with cats on it. And blood. Her blood.
"Sarah, burgers are ready. Are you coming outside?" Her father called.
"Yeah," she called back, setting the notepad aside. She stood up, straightened her white skirt, and went downstairs.

Now, Wednesday, September 3, 1997

The alarm rings and I sat up in bed immediately. Ever since the incident, I wake up totally refreshed. Sometimes I miss trying to smack the alarm clock's snooze button. I get out of bed and head into my bathroom. The family McMansion is boring and cookie cutter but at least I don't have to share a bathroom with Jerry.

After a shower, I try not to grit my teeth as I look into the mirror and see a face I do not recognize. Today, I'm rather cute I guess, nice check bones. And less noticeable blemishes. What is the point of having a completely new face if it still ends up having blemishes. After I blow dry my hair, my hand slides along a series of applicators to select concealer #3. I think my skin tone is a #3 today. A quick bit of eye liner, a touch of shadow, lip gloss, and some highlights. I go back into the bedroom to get dressed. Bra, undershirt, dark leggings, black leather pencil skirt, purple sleeveless blouse, and my leather bolero jacket. In the mirror, I look the same as I do every day. Except for my face. I grab my book bag and head downstairs.

"Jerry, Jerry," I hear my mother calling him. He doesn't bother with the snooze button. He just sleeps through the alarm. As I walk past his room, I rap on the door a couple times. "Get up, sleepy head." I hear him groan so I head downstairs.

"Hello, Pumpkin," my father says as I enter the kitchen.

I kiss him on the cheek, "Morning, Daddy." As I sit down, I say, "Morning, Mother."

"Good morning, Sarah, how are you feeling?" She asks me that every morning since the incident. I finish eating my breakfast as Jerry rushes into the room like a whirlwind. "Jerry, you really should eat something," mother says.

"No time, Mom," he says as he grabs a bagel from the table. "C'mon, Squirt, we're leaving now."
Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask »

There was always a fine line between the haves and the have-nots. Fortunately she was on the right side of the line.

Erin supposed it was a mixed blessing of having yuppies for parents. They made certain that she lacked for nothing though most of the time they were never around when she really needed them.

That's what the hired help are for, to serve as replacement babysitters.

Erin waited impatiently for the school bus while chewing the blueberry Eggo the maid whatishername cooked. Her $95 Walkman blasting the Nancy Sinatra song, the theme from the old James Bond movie Goldfinger. She didn't mind the song nor was she in any hurry to go to class, it was the waiting at the bus stop which made the morning unbearable.

The bus finally rounded the corner and arrived five minutes late. Erin resisted the urge to reach up and pinch the bus driver's smug cheeks and turned her into solid gold. Maybe that would at last shock her trendy though clueless parents into reality and send her away to Paris.

Of course they might send her to a private clinic like Aunt Mildred where she spend the rest of her days in mud baths and cucumber face peels. Leave to them to think a mutation is a social faux pas.

Erin boarded the bus and sat in the middle seats where the cool kids hung out, well away from the free school lunch crowd which often lurked at the rear.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Maya McKinny (Lifestream / HP: 1)

Maya stared daggers at her alarm clock. The clock going off meant it was the first day of school. The first day of school meant the first day where she couldn't go to the beach any time she wanted. With it being her second year, she already had some idea of what to expect for the next nine months and, with a sigh, dragged herself out of bed to start getting back into the school year routine.

A short while later, Maya descended to the main floor where Deirdre was watching some cartoon while finishing breakfast. Uncle Conor would already be off to work and Aunt Ana was bustling around the kitchen, breakfast on the table for Maya, and lunches just about complete and ready to be grabbed on the way out.

"Morning aunt Ana." Maya greeted as she sat at the table for a quick breakfast. Cream of wheat, eggs and toast. "Good morning, Maya. All ready for school?" "Yeah. And um..I was planning to head to the beach after school. Is that okay?" "Of course dear. I put some money in your lunch for something after school. Your uncle will pick you up after work, so around six thirty."

Maya smiled. It was rare her guardians would deny her going to the beach, usually because of some other plans. They figured it was a healthy hobby and kept her from picking up less than wholesome after-school activities, and due to her abilities, she was safer than most beach-goers.

A few minutes later, "Alright girls, you best get going or you'll miss your buses. Don't forget your lunches." The cousins collect their lunches and head out to the buses. "Hey Maya, can I come to the beach too?" Maya smiles and ruffles Deirdre's hair. "Should have asked before we left. You'll be expected home for homework." "Aww, no fair!" "Tell you what, we'll go this weekend, but only if you get all your homework done. This got some grumbling. "You gotta get your homework done too if mom and dad are gonna let you go!" "I suppose so. Guess I'll have to keep up on that so I can keep my promise." Deirdre looked sceptical but relented. Maya was usually pretty good for her word unless something came up.

Maya's bus stop was a little closer, so with a final wave, Deidre jogged off the last half block to where her pickup and some other kids from her school were gathered, and Maya got on her bus, finding a vacant seat.
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

JOHN WHITEEAGLE (Lokata) HP: 1

John looked around his bedroom. Six weeks, and it still wasn't decorated, but the essentials were there. His parents had pulled him away from his old life and brought him and his siblings here. His brother and sister were fitting in well, but he was still trying to find his footing.

His attire is the same as always, his t-shirt is of the Group Badlands, their Voodoo Highway album displayed on the front. "I wonder if anyone here has heard of them?" He thinks to himself. John walks downstairs to have breakfast before heading to school. Grabbing a quick bite to eat, he heads out with his brother and sister.
As they walk towards the bus stop, his brother says " When I get my car, this bus stop garbage will be over. For me at least, I don't know if you two will make the cool cut." His sister is upset as she tells him, "I'm telling mom on you, there's no way she'll let you exclude me." John let them argue as he pulled his earphones on and started his walk-man, the first notes of Dreams in the Dark begin, and he blocks out the bickering between his siblings.
Last edited by Hawk on Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CaptainKaulu

Post by CaptainKaulu »

Vil Grumych Granit
Luck (Inspiration): 3; HP: 1
Condition: normal

Vil doesn't have a room of his own; he sleeps in the same room as his parents. That's not one of the things about being poor that he minds; it's just normal troll culture. Not that their apartment is big enough to do it any other way.

He rolls out of bed early, but just sits on his bed thinking about this new school experience until his factory-worn parents stir.

"Morning Papa, morning Mama." He gives them both hugs.
"Good morning Vil. Are you ready for your big day?"
"I dunno. I guess so."

For breakfast he has a full box of granola -- it's one of the things "normal" people here actually eat that he's developed a taste for -- but with water, as he finds milk a bit strange still. He doesn't pour the water into the granola; he likes it as crunchy as possible, so he drinks the water on the side.

Grum and Masha have to leave while he's eating breakfast; as early as school starts, their work starts earlier. They're hurrying out the door, in a lumbering sort of way, so there's not a lot more conversation that happens in the morning.

Vil packs a lunch of celery, almonds, and raw lentils: crunchy foods rich in minerals. It's a very big lunch bag. It's a good thing he doesn't struggle under the weight of food, textbooks, and other accessories, like so many high schoolers do.

He picks out a soccer jersey to put on, but at the last second throws it back into the closet (where it lands in a rumpled heap -- Mama will probably scold him gently for that later on) and picks out a Metallica shirt instead, foraged from the thrift store. Used, and XXL, but hopefully more trendy, to help him fit in with the other kids' music tastes. (It doesn't even occur to him that it's a band from last decade.) He certainly does grab his soccer ball, though, on the way out the door, tossing and kicking to himself as he begins the walk to school. He doesn't bother to lock the door behind him; there's not much to steal, and even fewer thieves who want to mess with a family of trolls.

It's still warm this early in September. It's not long before Vil is softly panting under the heat of walking to school. Winter will be a breath of fresh chilly air, when it finally comes.
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

As JD steps over the rough mat set before the door of his house, he would spot a small white card underneath his shoe. Lifting his foot back up he would see that it is a small business card, it must have been posted through the letterbox. It was far too early for the regular mail delivery though, had someone dropped it off by hand? On closer inspection he would see that the front as a simple angular hook design embossed on it. Underneath is a phone number, and an abbreviation, D.P.A.C. On the back someone has scrawled in neat, flowing handwriting 'Travis, you really can't avoid this, times are changing'.

Leaving the house it is not too far to the bus. It is a beautiful day with clear sky and a faint breeze in the air. A couple of puffy white clouds pass overhead here and there, proving a little protection from the heat. There wasn't much to see on the way that JD hadn't seen before. The house was a little way out of town, and everywhere he looked he saw fields with trees and bushes marking the boundaries. Walking along the side of the road was not dangerous here posed no real danger, the cars were far and few between, the road was barley paved. He sees the 'bus stop', more of battered sign with the 's' of bus heavily faded. It's a little wait for the bus before it comes plodding along up the road. He is meat by a tired looking older man who gives him a slight nod. JD is the first one on the bus, giving him his choice of seat.

Sarah's parents glance up to say something to Jerry, but he is already out of the door before they can, leaving Sarah behind. With a sigh Geena looks at her daughter with a smile. "You better get going Sarah, I don't want him to be late again". She rushes forwards to scoop Sarah up in a hug, planting a kiss on her forehead. "Have a wonderful day at school, I know you will make friends".

Her father Jerry smiles as he looks up from his plate. "Don't go on Geena, she's going to be fine, aren't you pumpkin?" The question was rhetorical, it seems that he has every faith in her.

As Sarah emerges outside she sees Jerry already starting the car, forcing her to rush to get her seat. He doesn't look at her as he pulls out of the drive and races the second hand car down the street. He stared dead ahead, silent except for the crackle of the radio. It was as if she wasn't there at all. As they pull out of the way of the house he suddenly slams the brakes on the car.

"Right, out." He would state as he leans across to open her door. "No way in hell I'm taking you all the way to that school. You can take the bus, better run though or you've got a long walk over town".

As Erin leaves the elegant house, the walk to the bus shows her a brief glimpse of the bustling life closed gate community. Many of the children who lived there would also be attending school soon, though most were going to the private school the 'Siegfried School of Supernatural Excellence'. It was a sprawling complex a few miles out of town where only the most gifted (or most wealthy) attended. Almost all 'super' children of the Silver Creek would attend this place. Of course her parents didn't even know that she would be going to the school she was going to. How could they not knowing of her powers? It would be tricky to keep this from them, but if Erin was careful, it may be possible.

As she passes one garden she hears the sound of metal strike metal, and looking across she would spot a pair of well dressed elven children fencing in the early morning. She knew them before, met them a few times even. Daylor and Arryn Yinrel. Members of perhaps the richest family that lived in this community. They were not particularly pleasant. Man elves had made their homes here, though less of the other 'fantasy' races. Many elves had made a good life during the integration, and it showed here.

As Erin boards the bus and sits down she sees a hand jammed into the door to stop it from closing. As it opens again, she sees a panting but smiling Arlene. She was dressed in her school uniform, though it was not for Green Creek. Arlene didn't have any powers, and was attending one of the regular schools in town.

"Um, excuse me, this bus is for studnets going to-" the bus driver would start.

"Oh it's fine! You can drop me off where I say" Arlene would respond cheerily.

"I, er-"

"Thanks!"

Still panting a little she moves to slump down beside her friend. Grinning wide she would speak in her ever boisterous tone. "Hey girl! Are you ready for your first day?" Arlene never really fit in with the reserved community, she was 'the loud girl' to Erin's parents, the trouble maker.

As Maya hops onto the bus she would see a few people on board heading to school with her. she would see JD with a space open beside him. It was a quiet bus, used to bring in the students who were a little out of the way from the main areas of town.

Although the sky above John is blue and bright, the terrain around him is grey, drab even. This was one of the more built up part of town with a few squat blocks of small apartments with a few bigger houses here and there. There was the smell of exhaust in the air, and he can hear the muffled sound of traffic as the cars and trucks move through the street.

After a short walk he reached the covered bus stop for the school by the side of the road. He's the only one there, though he does see a large troll lumbering down the road in his direction. Telling the aged of the troll was difficult, but he could well be a similar age to John.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

MrTweedy wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:05 am As JD steps over the rough mat set before the door of his house, he would spot a small white card underneath his shoe. Lifting his foot back up he would see that it is a small business card, it must have been posted through the letterbox. It was far too early for the regular mail delivery though, had someone dropped it off by hand? On closer inspection he would see that the front as a simple angular hook design embossed on it. Underneath is a phone number, and an abbreviation, D.P.A.C. On the back someone has scrawled in neat, flowing handwriting 'Travis, you really can't avoid this, times are changing'.

Leaving the house it is not too far to the bus. It is a beautiful day with clear sky and a faint breeze in the air. A couple of puffy white clouds pass overhead here and there, proving a little protection from the heat. There wasn't much to see on the way that JD hadn't seen before. The house was a little way out of town, and everywhere he looked he saw fields with trees and bushes marking the boundaries. Walking along the side of the road was not dangerous here posed no real danger, the cars were far and few between, the road was barley paved. He sees the 'bus stop', more of battered sign with the 's' of bus heavily faded. It's a little wait for the bus before it comes plodding along up the road. He is meat by a tired looking older man who gives him a slight nod. JD is the first one on the bus, giving him his choice of seat.
JD backtracks a few steps in to the house to leave the card on the kitchen counter for his uncle as it was obviously meant for the older Daniels. He briefly associates the initials on the card with the rapping music person ('2-pack' or something, JD never really followed that kind of music, or any music, really) and wonders what D.P.A.C. stands for. Maybe the hook symbol meant it as a fishing organization of some kind? Was there good fishing in New Jersey? But ultimately he'll shrug off the thought and go about his day.

Faced with the empty bus he thinks breifly about walking all the way to the back but figures that would set the civil rights movement back a few decades. Instead he goes about 5 rows in to sit mid-frontish. He looks out the window at the passing landscape. He give interested looks to any who come on, not unfriendly, but not openly engaging either. He's a kid unsure of his place in this new world.
"Um, excuse me, this bus is for studnets going to-" the bus driver would start.

"Oh it's fine! You can drop me off where I say" Arlene would respond cheerily.

"I, er-"

"Thanks!"

Still panting a little she moves to slump down beside her friend. Grinning wide she would speak in her ever boisterous tone. "Hey girl! Are you ready for your first day?" Arlene never really fit in with the reserved community, she was 'the loud girl' to Erin's parents, the trouble maker.
JD does look up sharply at the odd exchange, he's ready to intervene if required, but settles back when it's obvious nothing is needed.
As Maya hops onto the bus she would see a few people on board heading to school with her. she would see JD with a space open beside him. It was a quiet bus, used to bring in the students who were a little out of the way from the main areas of town.
JD's teenaged frame is just cresting 6 feet of wide muscle. Nevertheless, as if sensing her attention, JD shifts slightly, giving just a little more room if the redheaded girl wanted to sit on the rest of the bench beside him. He meant it more as a courtesy than an invitation and his eyes shift back to the slim backpack between his knees.

If she sits elsewhere he'll 'relax' again, his body spreading out a smidge. If she sits next to him his eyes will widen in surprise at the brief pinch of panic and he'll not know what to do.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Maya took the seat next to JD, as much because it was an available seat, but also because she didn't recognize the boy. "'Morning. Are you new?" Unlike the louder girl on the bus, Maya's more casual in her question, not trying to infect others with excitement or anything like that. Just a casual question to a new face.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

EpicEclipse wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:45 pm Maya McKinny (Lifestream / HP: 1)

Maya took the seat next to JD, as much because it was an available seat, but also because she didn't recognize the boy. "'Morning. Are you new?" Unlike the louder girl on the bus, Maya's more casual in her question, not trying to infect others with excitement or anything like that. Just a casual question to a new face.
JD opens his mouth but the first sound is a quick intake of air. The large teen clears his throat and tries again. "Uh, yeah. Moved here a few weeks back. Just ma uncle and me. I'm... JD." His voice is low and the Southern twang in his soft words is prominent.

The angle makes it awkward to extend a hand for shaking, but he does so.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

The redhead does her best with the awkward handshake. "I'm Maya, I've lived in the area my whole life, so if you need to know where something is, don't be shy about asking. So, what's your shtick?" Maya, despite her claim of living in the area her whole life has more of an Irish accent on account of learning to talk primarily from an Irish family.
Last edited by EpicEclipse on Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Sarah Dimple

Dazed, Sarah exits the car. As it drives away she shouts, "I'm telling Daddy what you did. You big dummy."

She looks around and tries to figure out where she should go. She looks at her watch. There's no way I'm getting to school on time if I walk, she thinks. But Mom can't drive since the accident. And Daddy must have left for work by now.

She turns and walks toward the school. She contemplates the school buses but she has no idea what the bus routes are. She's never taken the bus to this school. It's the first day shes attending this school.

She could change. She's much faster when she's clay. It'll ruin her outfit. She has a spare in her book bag but it isn't nearly as cute. She could take off her clothes before changing. She looks around for somewhere to change but where would she change at the school and what will she look like when she changes back.

She ducks into a shed on someone's property. She removes her clothes and puts them neatly in her book bag. With a thought, her skin turns reddish-orange and becomes soft to the touch, malleable. She rushes out of the shed and rushes to school.
Last edited by jmucchiello on Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

EpicEclipse wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:02 pm Maya McKinny (Lifestream / HP: 1)

The redhead does her best with the awkward handshake. "I'm Maya, I've lived in the area my whole life, so if you need to know where something is, don't be shy about asking. So, what's your shtick?" Maya, despite her claim of living in the area her whole life has more of an Irish accent on account of learning to talk primarily from an Irish family.

"Shtick?"
JD asks, confused. "I guess... I like sports. And ma uncle says I'm a natural. I'm... not really into any bands yet, I've just started really listening to music, radio stuff anyways. I guess that's it really."

"What sorts are you in to, Maya?" he asks shyly trying to meet her eyes but only really making it up to the bridge of her nose.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

"Sports huh? You ever surf?" Her expression lights up with the possibility of a new face to the surfing scene.

"Ahem.. Sorry, I get little ahead of myself. But surfing is kind of my thing. Music's nice and all, but I don't follow anything super specific. Whatever people have in their stereos on the beach is good enough. The waves kind of have their own music anyways." She smiles kind of absently, thinking about it.

"Oh, but I meant like, what can you do?" she holds up her hand, palm up and slightly cupped, water seeming to manifest in mid air floating in a little ring the size of a dinner plate by way of demonstration. She does try to hide it from the driver with the seat, after all, she can't vanish the water, so there's gonna be a puddle for the poor driver to clean up, but at least it'll just be a little one.

"I do things with water mainly. Pretty much immune to the cold and pressure of the ocean and can breath underwater just fine."