Small Town Heroes (IC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
MrTweedy

Re: Small Town Heroes (IC)

Post by MrTweedy »

As the students slowly fill the seats and chatter among themselves, their voices quieten as there is movement on the side of the stage. Slowly, a middle aged man would emerge from the side in a slightly wrinkled suit and shirt. The suit itself was an emerald green, and although faded around the knees and elbows it was still a bright colour in contrast to the dull room. He was a tall, slender individual with red-brown shoulder length hair that was a little messy, as if he had slept recently. This was accompanies by a neatly trimmed moustache and wispy beard. Despite the subtle dishevelment of the man, he did wear a couple of rigs on his fingers, and had well polished shoes. One of the more noticeable features about the man was that he was sat in a well polished wheelchair.

Pushing himself up towards the front of the stage, he takes a deep breath as he surveys the students below him with a wide smile. "Welcome students!" He would declare in loud voice that echoes around the room. The voice was almost musical, like that of a bard or storyteller. "Welcome! Welcome to Green Creek Public School of Paragons, Anti-Heroes and Vigilantes! Wait, that's not right, forget the vigilante part".

Clearing his throat, he pushes on the arms of the chair, and in one swift motion he lifts himself out of the chair, standing tall. The chair rolls away a little with a small squeak as he places his hands on his hips. There is a murmur of surprise and confusion from the students as they watch this odd man present himself.

"My name is Principle Sykes, and I am in charge of this place. Well, technically the board is, but when you guys mess up, you answer to me!" All the while that he speaks there is a beaming smile on his face. "Every year, I like to take a moment to talk to the new students, for it is here, that we train the next generation of protectors, heroes, and if we mess up, villains. That's not intentional though, I feel like I should clarify that. We don't try to create super villains here, that's not deliberate".

Catching himself in his tangent, the head master shakes his head and clears his throat. "Anyway, I wanted to take this moment to take about what it is to be a hero, here at Green Creek. What is a hero? Do we really need heroes? Is it true that the only reason we need people with supernatural powers is because there are people with supernatural powers in the world? Yes, and also no. To me, a hero is someone who is strong in body, mind and soul. Someone who is physically strong enough to beat down those who oppose them. Determined enough to never give up on the face of adversity, no matter how strong or justified it may be. Someone who has the moral conscious to always try to do what is right, even when they are told it is wrong".

This speech seemed to confuse most of the students, but a few here and there could be seen nodding along, smiling at each other. The words may not be the most coherent (or even appropriate for students), but the way the spoke and carried himself, it seemed to inspire the students regardless. "A hero is a powerful person, even if they do not have powerful powers. It is more than simply punching buildings and rescuing cats. It is becoming an image, and icon that people will look up to. It is hard, harder than most jobs, but if you want, if you are willing to work, we will help you become the heroes you can be. In whatever form that may be. Welcome to Green Creek!" With this final declaration he spreads his arms wide, grinning wide through his teeth as he looks over the students.
Last edited by MrTweedy on Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

JD will not the first to applaud, but if there IS applause he will join in. His home schooling never really included motivational speeches so he didn't know the protocol.
"Something pithy this way comes."
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

AJ Sullivan
HP: 1; LP: 0; Condition: Normal

When the students had been ushered into the auditorium, AJ had chosen a seat near the front but off to one side. Almost immediately she had opend up her backpack and pulled out a notebook. Her head down, she was busily writing something- perhaps impressions of the tests, perhaps impressions of her fellow students. She was, in fact, so caught up in what she was doing that it took her a moment to notice the arrival of the Principal. She set her notebook down on the desk and looked at the odd fellow with a bit of curiosity- had she seen him around town, or heard her family talk about him? He certainly seemed unusual enough in a mostly normal town like Bass City...

>OOC:
Aj wants to make an INT check on this guy- functionally an untrained Expertise- Area Knowledge (Bass City), to see if she has heard of Mr. Sykes. It seems possible, given this is a fairly small town and he seems to have a rather flamboyant personality.
-INT check 1d20+4= 20, roll https://orokos.com/roll/771345
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

As AJ watches the peculiar man on the stage, searching her memory for whether she had seen him before, a few memories are dredged up. She most certainly had seen him before; in fact in a number of places, though she had never heard of him referred to as the principle of Green Creek (or any position of authority). She had seen him on the streets of town a few times, talking with a few people at the post office, walking along the beach, he had even been to the scrap yard looking at old cars. Always in a brightly coloured suit of some description, always smiling wide as if at some personal joke. It was odd, until AJ actively tried to remember Mr Sykes, there were no memories of him. It could be understood if he at least looked forgettable, perhaps it was a power?

As the speech finishes, there is a slow murmur among the other students as the puzzle through his words. Eventually though Joseph pushes himself to his feet and begins to clap with a beaming smile. Following suite, other students begin to clap as well, a few even throwing in a whoop here and there.

Nodding approvingly the principle struts around the stage a little before letting the students quieten down. "Alright, alright, thank you for that. Now I know some of you may be thinking, what if I am not cut out to be a hero> What if I'm not strong enough, not smart enough? Will I fail? Yes, yes you will". He lets that hang in the air longer than he probably should before continuing.

"That is why you will learn one of the most important lessons here, teamwork. For your time here, you will be working with a team of other students to for a team. A hero team, if you will. Now all of you may be masters of some things, like stabbing, or passing through walls, but you may really struggle when it comes to things like flying or reading minds. That is why your team will be so important, they will help you succeed where you would fail on your own. While here, they will be a part of you, your second family. You will pass together, or fail together. If you look after each other, then you will learn to thrive as one".
CaptainKaulu

Post by CaptainKaulu »

Vil Grumych Granit
Luck (Inspiration): 3; HP: 1
Condition: tired

(Vil was right behind Joseph in leading the applause for the flamboyant principal's speech, having not really noticed the flaws in the public speaking style.)

He raises his hand. If called upon, "How big will our teams be?"
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

JD nods, seeing the sense in the man's words. He looks around to see who of the new Freshman class would be dissapproving of the positive message... who might be trouble.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Sarah was still fuming about her appearance as the man spoke. Soon she had to stifle her reaction to laugh. The testing methodology sudden made much more sense given this buffoon's speech. She only then realizes she is sitting with no one she knows and starts trying to find out where Lucy ended up. When she doesn't immediately spot her, she immediately assumes Lucy doesn't want to know the freak she is.
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

John stands with his classmates. He looks around and wonders. How big the team will be, and Who will be on it with him. Turning to J.D. and Vil, he says "Here's hoping we will be together."
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

The principle pauses mid step to point at Vil. "It's not really a question answer kind of speech kid, but sure I've got time for one. The teams are going to be six students, I think. Yeah that sounds right. Anyway, we figured that six students of your level should be able to watch each others backs during your missions and assorted hijinks. After all that is what being a hero is about". Clapping his hands together, he gestures hurriedly for the students to rise. "Alright! I left my notes in my other jacket, so that will be all for today. You've got a little bit of time before the last bell, but after that you will be able to head home. If you are taking the bus make sure you're at the bus park at the front because those things are surprisingly prompt at leaving". Just as abruptly as he had begun, the speech was over and Mr Sykes marches of the stage without another word. As he left he looked like he was in a hurry to be somewhere.

As Sarah looks around, she sees Lucy sat near the back of the seats. She seems to have been whispering to her other two friends, not really paying attention to what was going on around them.

Meanwhile JD's glance around the room reveals little. It is difficult to tell trouble makers from excited teens, as all too often, they are both.
CaptainKaulu

Post by CaptainKaulu »

Vil Grumych Granit
Luck (Inspiration): 3; HP: 1
Condition: irked

Vil nods at John's expressed desire that they be on the same team. Mentally, he's including Joseph in that desired group as well.

Vil's skin is thick figuratively as well as literally, but the principal's less-than-communicative attitude about his "speech" grates on him a little bit. At least the principal called him "kid" instead of singling him out as a troll, but still ... hadn't his question about group sizes been an important and natural thing for the students to want to know?

Anyway, with the answer "six," Vil turns to John, J.D., and Joseph. "How many teams does that mean there will be? Someone who's faster at counting and, uh, dividing? than me?"

As Principal Sykes storms off-stage, Vil hesitantly calls out, "Wait, you forgot your wheelchair! ..." Then belatedly wonders again why the principal appeared initially in a wheelchair if he didn't need it.

As the students are left to their own devices and chatter begins to pop up from the crowd, Vil turns the other direction from where John, J.D., and Joseph are sitting, and there spots Sarah as she looks around the room for Lucy. "Terra cotta ..." he says. "You smell good. Earthy and solid."

OOC:
Maybe this was already mentioned, but how many students are there total?
I'm assuming Vil can identify terra cotta, and even know the word for it in English, with a routine Expertise: Geology check of 18.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Sarah is still in her own world when she realizes someone is speaking to her.

"Terra cotta ..." Vil says. "You smell good. Earthy and solid."

"I? What did you say?" she responds obviously flustered. Vil is large and muscular. Her eyes focus momentarily on his oversized fists and she wonders what it would feel like to be squeezed through his fingers. As soon as she has the thought she is glad she's still orange-skinned or her cheeks would be beet red at the moment. "Thank you, I guess. I've never had anyone say they liked how I smell when I'm like this." Elongating her arm slightly because of their height difference, she extends her hand to Vil, half out of politeness, half to feel what his hand feels like. "I'm Sarah."

Her mind races, wondering why she feels this way. He's not handsome in the classic sense. And his clothing is mundane at best. Being seen with him will probably hurt her chances with Lucy. Part of her is saying ditch this guy and find Lucy. But she isn't listening to that part of her.

(ooc: having Googled it, terracotta is apparently #e2725b. But will I remember :). Oh, yeah and anyone can probably make a DC 9 perception check (versus her average deception roll) to figure out she having naughty thoughts about Vil.)
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

JD, ever watchful, noted some change in the earthen figure's demeanor but was too inexperienced to know what it meant fully. Still, she didn't seem displeased so JD was happy about that.

"That'd be... uh... 6 teams, Vil." JD says after some thought. Though not particularly gifted in the brains department the Southerner was particularly keen on noting those around him.
MrTweedy wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:57 pm ... there are about 30 students in the freshman class alongside you (about 200 in the school in total).
I'm assuming the 'alongside you' means 30 plus the 6 PCs.
As Vil and Sarah shake hands, JD will make introductions. "Hey Sarah, I'm JD, this is John. I remember seeing you from the bus this morning. You were moving at a decent clip. That clay form seems pretty awesome and useful." he notes appreciatively.

"You can probably ride the bus home with us if you want. This morning there was a girl from a completely different school that boarded but the driver didn't seem to mind much. Unless you prefer the walk..."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"Hey Sarah, I'm JD, this is John. I remember seeing you from the bus this morning. You were moving at a decent clip. That clay form seems pretty awesome and useful." he notes appreciatively.

"Hello," Sarah says, suddenly feeling popular. "John and I have met. Yeah, this clay body is fast and flexible. But it ruins my clothes. This bathing suit I'm wearing will be orange by the time I'm done today." She turns one of the shoulder straps over and the boys can see it is completely matches her clay color instead of black like the outside color.

"You can probably ride the bus home with us if you want. This morning there was a girl from a completely different school that boarded but the driver didn't seem to mind much. Unless you prefer the walk..."

"I may do that. My idiot brother kicked me out of the car this morning after promising to take me to school. He's such an... a backside."
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

As the students file out of the school there is an exciting hubbub among the students as they begin to head back out towards the bus stop outside. There is a lot of talk of who wanted to be in who's team, who had the best power and who was going to make the coolest hero. The tone was one of excitement, of potential and freedom. Being a teenager is one thing, but a teenager with superpowers, that is a whole other world.

As JD and Vil are talking to Sarah, they would feel Joseph slap them on the back as he strides up behind them. "Hey guys, it looks like things are going to be exciting right? How do you think they'll sort the teams out?"

"Pfft, doesn't matter, whatever team I'm going to be on is going to be the best one". This new voice came from the kid in the leather jacket, Mat as he adds himself to the gathering. "I'm telling you guys, I'm going to put my name on this fucking place when I'm done".

Meanwhile Maya would see the girl that she had spoken to during the break approaching her. Holding a hand out for a high five, she would give Maya a friendly smile. "Yo, I told you that it was all going to be alright. All you had to do was loosen up, right?"
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

John WhiteEagle: LAKOTA
HP:1

As the students start to break off into smaller groups to discus the team options, John asks Vil and J.D., "Guys, I wonder if there is any way that we can request to be on the same team? It may be something that we can brainstorm ideas about on the bus ride home." Noticing that Vil seems resistant to the thought of riding the bus, the Apache teen says. "Come on Vil, even if we can't think of any ideas, at least we can hang out a little longer. What do you say?"

Persuasion: Persuasion:1D20+4=[11]+4=15