Small Town Heroes (IC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Hawk

Re: Small Town Heroes (IC)

Post by Hawk »

John WhiteEagle:LAKOTA
HP:1
MrTweedy wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:50 am As Reana begins to pass cutlery and plates to her son, she rolls her eyes at the question. "Oh, Raven still wants a car, even though she can't drive yet!" This part is almost shouted as John's mother leans around the side of the kitchen wall so the pair in the living room can hear it. This was an argument that has happened on numerous occasions, ever since their brother had passed his driving licence.

"That's not the point mum!" is the shrill response from John's sister, however the argument does begin to simmer at the smell of cooking. As they move to help set the table, John can see that his father is still dressed in the dull blue overalls from work, the top half tied around his waist.

"Alright, let's shelve this argument for now, and just have dinner" he states as he takes the plates from John. "Hey John, how was school? You blow anyone up yet?" He cracks a smile as he makes the light-hearted dig at his son.
John doesn't stick his nose into his sister's argument, knowing that it was between her and his Dad. Returning his father's smile, he replies. "Not anyone yet, but the year has just started, so give me some time. But other than that things are o.k."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

MrTweedy wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:50 am At the mention of JD's father, he spots his uncle shake his head, just a fraction. "That man" he mutters to himself before raising his voice to the normal decibel. "You're hearts in the right place son, there's no denying that. I just want you to be aware that joining the army is a big step in anyone's life. It's not something to take lightly. It was different for my generation with the expeditions into asia. My parents didn't want me to join up, but lot of my friends volunteered, and I followed them. It was the done thing then. For your generation there aren't any great wars, and military life is changing". There is a touch of something in his voice at this last point, something difficult to identify.
"It's changing cuz of metas, init?" JD asks. "Aint there rumors other countries are trying to breed them or clone them? I mean, whoever has the strongest powers on their side wins, right? I mean... WE wouldn't try anything shady like that so America needs good people to step up, don't it?"

JD spoons himself another serving of steamed veggies and a small portion of rice. "Anyway, it's not like I'm on my way to a recruiters' office before bed. I got several years still. They just asked what I was leaning towards."
"Something pithy this way comes."
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

"Are you sure? You didn't hurt anything?" Sarah's mother threats as she continues to fuss over her daughter.

"Leave her alone, she said she's alright" her father says as he glances up from the table.

"Maybe, but if that's the kind of thing that school is going to be doing, you can't except me to send her back! What else have they got in store?" Geena snaps as she turns to face her husband.

"It's a state school, it's not as if they exactly have a budget for killer robots" James responds with a chuckle, clearly not too concerned.

"Well I'm glad to see you take your daughters safety seriously" Geena snaps before turning to listen to Sarah. "Jerry isn't here? He didn't tell me he was going anywhere. Did he say anything to you in the car?"

John's father nods and chuckles again as the food begins to be served out. There is a little tension as his sister simmers quietly in her seat, but beyond that it was a fairly average evening meal. John's brother continued to prod the subject of the car by talking about what he had planned for his, but was shushed by their mother pretty quickly.

As Travis begins to finish up his plate he nods a little to the question set by JD. "No, America have taken a strong stance on 'artificial' meta's" he would say with a rye smile. "America's enemies have been trying to create super soldiers since world war two. The Thule society, unit 731, they probably won't teach you about this kind of stuff at that school. Nowadays it's the likes of the NKVD, even our allies have their own programmes".

Travis's views on the Russians had always been very clear to his nephew. Since the arms race to gather paranormal items and individuals, the Russians has amassed a reportedly staggering number if powers. This stockpile had ensured the brutal survival of the eastern bloc, holding a huge portion of the eastern European countries in a vice-like grip. It was the reason that many families like Vil's had fled. Those with powers or who weren't human became of immense interest to the state, make life dangerous for many.

Currently it was a race between the two super powers to see who could penetrate the nexus asia. Huge regions of that portion of the world were since abandoned or remained unexplored since end of world war two. Whatever was out there, many powers were very interested in finding out.

As Travis pushes his plate away from him he nods approvingly at JD's summary. "I know, I just want you to consider all your options. You've got more than we used to, and I don't want you to miss out. You're your own man JD, never forget that".
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"Killer robots at least probably have safety protocols, Dad," Sarah joked. "They dropped a dishwasher on one kid. He caught it easily. But that didn't have to be the outcome."
"Jerry isn't here? He didn't tell me he was going anywhere. Did he say anything to you in the car?"
"I met some people at school and just took the bus home," Sarah said. "I don't think you were here when he came home and made a bunch of noise I think searching his room and then storming back out.

"I might take the bus tomorrow."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

MrTweedy wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:40 am As Travis begins to finish up his plate he nods a little to the question set by JD. "No, America have taken a strong stance on 'artificial' meta's" he would say with a rye smile. "America's enemies have been trying to create super soldiers since world war two. The Thule society, unit 731, they probably won't teach you about this kind of stuff at that school. Nowadays it's the likes of the NKVD, even our allies have their own programmes".

Travis's views on the Russians had always been very clear to his nephew. Since the arms race to gather paranormal items and individuals, the Russians has amassed a reportedly staggering number if powers. This stockpile had ensured the brutal survival of the eastern bloc, holding a huge portion of the eastern European countries in a vice-like grip. It was the reason that many families like Vil's had fled. Those with powers or who weren't human became of immense interest to the state, make life dangerous for many.

Currently it was a race between the two super powers to see who could penetrate the nexus asia. Huge regions of that portion of the world were since abandoned or remained unexplored since end of world war two. Whatever was out there, many powers were very interested in finding out.

As Travis pushes his plate away from him he nods approvingly at JD's summary. "I know, I just want you to consider all your options. You've got more than we used to, and I don't want you to miss out. You're your own man JD, never forget that".
"Yes, Uncle Travis." JD says scooping the last bits of rice and veggies from his plate to finish them off. While JD's physical hunger was long since sated, he enjoyed the treat so much he scraped his plate clean of the exotic sauces. With even his need for sleep diminished, JD would spend some time reading ahead in his class text books - he knew he needed the extra study time and the extra hours of his day would easily be consumed by homework.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

MrTweedy wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:50 am As AJ walks through the door with the commotion she hears the clank of cans being scattered and the scrape of a chair. Her father can be heard muttering to himself before it is followed by coarse huffing and cursing. He rushes out into the hall, but his body seems to physically sag as he sees his daughter. "Alli, Alli I'm so sorry. I was trying to set something up, and I must have lost track of time and dozed off". The stuttered explanation falters before he sighs heavily. "Sorry kiddo, I know you don't need this on your first day of school. Did you get back ok? I, erm, I made food if you're hungry".
AJ Sullivan
HP: 1; LP: 0; Condition: Normal

AJ smiled wanly, fighting down the urge to cry just a little- she had to be strong, she HAD TO. "Yeah. it's fine, dad. I got kind of caught up in some school stuff." She dumped her backpack on a chair in the hall, and started towards the kitchen. "School was good, I guess, but really weird. It was all kinds of tests- and not, you know, normal tests like those machines I was hooked up to at the hospital, or even that stuff they had be doing out at those labs on the base. Some of it wasn't too strange- like we did some dodgeball, and this written test about our powers and stuff. But they tested people's strength by dropping stuff on them- that's why Uncle Dave was out there, he brought all kinds of things for them to use. And they had this piston thing to knock us around a little- they even made us pair of and try fighting each other. I made some notes about ways I would improve it, just a what-do-you-call-it, a thought exercise . They said they're gonna analyze all the tests and split us up into teams for the year- they're gonna tell us about THAT tomorrow. I mean, I didn't really have any idea what to expect, but this wasn't it..." She paused as she stepped into the kitchen and looked at the banner he father had hung up. She couldn't entirely hold back a few tears, but she covered it be sweeping off her goggles and then turned to give her dad a hug. "Thanks, dad."

>OOC: Job/life stress isn't resolved yet, but it took a few big steps. Should be dragging myself out of this mental pit soon (-ish)
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

"You made some friends? Aw darling that is lovely" Geena coos as she draws her daughter into a hug. "I'm sorry you didn't have a great day, but maybe tomorrow will be better". As Sarah makes mention of her brother searching his room, her mother makes a move towards the stairs in a hurry.

James looks up from the table and calls out after her "oh, Geena leave it alone!" but she is already gone. "Well, I guess I'm starting dinner" he grumbles as he stands up from the table. Eventually Geena would remerge, and the pair would work together on sorting out the meal for the evening. Dinner was quiet, but not unpleasant for the family.

As Tavis cleans up the plates from the meal, JD is dismissed from the table so he can go to do his reading. The books that were needed for this school were an interesting mixture. There had been text books on English, maths and science like what would be found in every other high school, but there were specific texts as well. There were books on heroic philosophy, history of the supernatural, links between mythology and modern heroes, there were even some on super sciences, combat tactics and new-age powers.

Ted would stifle a yawn as he listens to AJ describing her day, shaking himself a little to wake himself up. "Yeah, Dave always makes a killing at the start of the year at that place. He just dumps whatever scrap he can't shift on them and makes a profit. He told me a while ago some of the stuff that they do there, I always assumed he was talking bul- er, rubbish. He swore that they set fire to a teacher last year, but it never got in the papers or anything".

As AJ hugs her father he holds her tight, and she feels him let out a sigh. "Hey, come on. It's not much but you know, I figured you've earnt it". After a moment he lets her go and moves across to the oven to begin heating something up. "Oh by the way, if the phone goes, it's may be Mack. He said he was going to call today if he could".

Across town, Vil's mother brings through dinner as his father talks, setting a tray down in front of each of them before she joins them. Having finished what he was saying, his father tucks into the meal with gusto. Shortly after finishing his food, he beings to fall asleep after, as he often did. Vil would feel his mother squeeze his shoulder and give him a smile as she passes by. "He really is proud of you, you know. He's expecting great things from you".
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

MrTweedy wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:48 pm As Tavis cleans up the plates from the meal, JD is dismissed from the table so he can go to do his reading. The books that were needed for this school were an interesting mixture. There had been text books on English, maths and science like what would be found in every other high school, but there were specific texts as well. There were books on heroic philosophy, history of the supernatural, links between mythology and modern heroes, there were even some on super sciences, combat tactics and new-age powers.

JD frowns at some of the advanced nature of the reading materials but tries to plod through at least the first chapter of every book before turning in.
CaptainKaulu

Post by CaptainKaulu »

Vil Grumych Granit
Luck (Inspiration): 3; HP: 1
Condition: content

Vil is not so studious as JD. After basking in his parents' affection through dinner, he spends the evening watching soccer before retiring early -- the tests did leave him pretty tired.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

MrTweedy wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:48 pm Ted would stifle a yawn as he listens to AJ describing her day, shaking himself a little to wake himself up. "Yeah, Dave always makes a killing at the start of the year at that place. He just dumps whatever scrap he can't shift on them and makes a profit. He told me a while ago some of the stuff that they do there, I always assumed he was talking bul- er, rubbish. He swore that they set fire to a teacher last year, but it never got in the papers or anything".

As AJ hugs her father he holds her tight, and she feels him let out a sigh. "Hey, come on. It's not much but you know, I figured you've earnt it". After a moment he lets her go and moves across to the oven to begin heating something up. "Oh by the way, if the phone goes, it's may be Mack. He said he was going to call today if he could".
AJ Sullivan

AJ returned her father's hug, holding on just a heartbeat longer than he had. As he went over to the oven, she started setting out plates and silverwear for dinner. "It would be great to hear from Mack- I know he has been so busy. Maybe he is gonna tell us when he gets to suit up for the team- we'll have to see if the game is on TV or not. Anyway, I can't wait to hear about college," she quipped, with a smile (and just the tiniest hint of longing in her voice on the word 'college'). Someday...

"I can believe they set somebody on fire- there were just so many different powers, and some of the kids did NOT seem to have a lot of control. I guess that's why they make us go to school, so we're ready to, you know, go out into the world and all. No fires this year, I think- but there was a girl who could control water, and another kid who could make these walls and stuff out of stone. He could probably go into construction or landscaping, make a career out of it. And there was even a troll, an honest-to-goodness actual troll, bouncing a soccer ball around just like a regular kid..." As she started setting things up, she kept up a stream of chatter about the day. She knew she had schoolwork to do later- even though they hadn't really been assigned much for the first day, she wanted to stay ahead of things... But that was later.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Meghan Monroe
Hp 1 Recovery 4

The Last Day of Summer
Tomorrow: the School-opalypse

This was the last day of freedom, the last day to live life before having to go back to the prison that was school. Yeah, it was a new school for 'special people' but it was still.. ick... school. Maybe if she was really clever, she could sneak in and take PE a couple of times per day? Probably wouldn't be that cool. It was about sitting still for long periods of time, listening to boring stuff, getting embarrassed when she couldn't sit still for the words and numbers to stop moving on the page and hope that she was creating them back the way that they should be. Lame!

But that was tomorrow (little did she know that it was actually today) and she was determined to make the most of it.

Her eyes snapped open, a glance over at the clock, it took a good moment, her eyes struggling to stay focused. It was..well, it was a still dark out side, and that was the important part. With a snap, she threw off the blankets and spun out onto the floor. Pumping instantly into a dozen, no make that twenty, eh.. keep going to lots of push ups, just to get the blood flowing. About as many jumping jacks! The sweat felt good, letting her know that she was alive.

It was a day without direction but with a singular drive, to enjoy this last day of freedom as much as she could. Indeed, the path that she took was one that could be used for one of the infamous Family Circus maps. What did she not do in her endless quest? Well, making sure that a few of her favorite neighbors got their newspapers directly on their door. Or that she got to see the new puppies that were over that house. Or practicing her hand walking along the rails near the library. Or helping water the garden of the neighbor that couldn't move so well anymore. Or making sure that every puddle was splashed, no road left unrun, no tree left unclimbed, no hill left unrolled. It was a fun day, a day intense in the thrill to live every moment, every second filled with energetic fun. There wasn't such a thing as a stranger, just friends that she hadn't met yet. If she knew someone that needed help, she was glad to help, she just.. couldn't... stop... moving. It was like a shark, swim or die.

But dusk was setting before she realized it and it was time to head home and get ready for the first day of school. So, with the unlocking of the door, it was a dark house, which wasn't unusual at all. A blinking light on the machine.

"Megs, hope you had a great day at school! I left some money for you for lunches. Tim decided to take me to Reno for the week! Bye-eee!"

Wait, what... was she supposed to be at school today?

Well, at least she could be the first student there the next morning. She just had to run it all off to sit long enough for it to be worth it.

How long until she didn't have to go to school anymore again?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

As AJ sets the table her dad reaches into the oven for the food that was warming there. Barley containing his swearing he rushes the casserole dish to the table with a clatter before putting his hands under the cold tap. The food was spaghetti Bolognese, or at least was meant to be. It usually tasted ok but aesthetics had never been Ted's strong point. Glancing back from the sink he nods to AJ. "Oh if half the stories you hear about that place are true, well you'll have a better time at school than I did. Anyway, I don't think you will get set on fire, you're too smart for that, probably". At this last part he laughs as he teases his daughter before spooning out a healthy portion for the pair of them. The meal is not bad, and AJ's father makes some small talk about the day before stacking the plates with a few other dirty ones. He always says he'll do them tomorrow.

"Alright kiddo, I've got to finish up a couple of pieces in the workshop before tomorrow. If I'm not back inside in time don't be up too late, alright?" He leans forwards to give his daughter a quick kiss on the head before he makes for the backdoor of the house, leaving AJ to her own devices. It wasn't until later that she heard the phone set in the hall start to ring.

Answering the phone, Aj is assaulted by the sound of rock music and shouting in the background. After a moment she hears the voice of her brothers voice. "Hello? Hello? Can you hear me? Guys?" It sounds like he turns away from the phone for a moment to shout behind him "Guys, come on! I'm on the phone!"

----------

Running outside, Meghan by amazing luck (or lack of it) does not see any of the school buses taking fellow classmates to their first day. She may have seen the battered truck loaded with what looked like metal garbage heading in that direction. Still, there was a lot for her to do, and never enough time to get it done. Still, despite the odds she did manage it. Meghan was well known on her street (and the street over), so received a lot of waves and quick greetings by those not in work. There weren't any kids her age out on the streets today due to the vast majority of them being in school. However she did see a few folks that stand out in the crowd of faces as she makes her rounds.

There was a group of 'the cool kids' a couple of years older than her dressed in the green and silver letterman jackets of her soon to be school. Perhaps they had left school at lunch (or not gone in at all). They had been lunging at the road end, leant over the handlebars of their bikes as they chatted among themselves. Then of course there was Mr Script, reportedly a retired super. He always had plenty of stories to tell, though whether there was any truth in them was difficult to say. Still, they were certainly entertaining. The old man would spend most of the day sat in his garden, watching the world go by. There were people rushing to the office, bikers outside of the local bar, construction workers setting up scaffolding around town hall, there was so much to see. Still, the day must come to an end eventually, hopefully the next day will be alright.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Sarah "Pla-doh" Dimple

Since she's taking the bus in the morning, Sarah decides to turn in early.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

MrTweedy wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:52 am "Alright kiddo, I've got to finish up a couple of pieces in the workshop before tomorrow. If I'm not back inside in time don't be up too late, alright?" He leans forwards to give his daughter a quick kiss on the head before he makes for the backdoor of the house, leaving AJ to her own devices. It wasn't until later that she heard the phone set in the hall start to ring.

Answering the phone, Aj is assaulted by the sound of rock music and shouting in the background. After a moment she hears the voice of her brothers voice. "Hello? Hello? Can you hear me? Guys?" It sounds like he turns away from the phone for a moment to shout behind him "Guys, come on! I'm on the phone!"
AJ Sullivan

Dinner was pretty good, and AJ savored the time with her dad- it looked like today was one of his better ones. Once he headed back to his workshop, she cleared the table and washed the dishes. She was just digging out her schoolbooks when the phone rang. She scrambled over to answer it, quickly moving it back away from her ear at the riotous noise. At least this time she could be fairly sure it wasn't her fault- landline phone seemed to be safe, but sometimes her powers caused interference on mobile phones.

"Hey, hey, Mack!," AJ not-quite-shouted into the phone. "Sounds like you're having a good time down there... Do you need me to fly on down there and get things in order?," she joked, knowing that the last thing her older brother wanted was for his little sister to interrupt what he was up to at college.
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

"No! No don't do that!" Mack quickly replies as the sound continues behind him. It takes a moment for him to realise that she was in fact joking. He laughs before someone in the background asks who he is on the phone to. "No one, shut up dude!"

Turning back to the phone Mack can be heard more clearly. "Sorry, the football team is starting hell week tonight so there's no where quiet to call from. Dad said you started that special school today right? How was it? And how are things at home?" The second question had a more serious tone to it, most likely concerned about their dad over AJ. Mack knew his sister was capable when it came to the crunch.