Small Town Heroes (IC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Flynnarrel

Re: Small Town Heroes (IC)

Post by Flynnarrel »

JD Daniels

When the huge stony non-human student falters, the nearby JD makes to step forward when the stone armor around his non-shield hand starts to grow, reaching out toward the tire but never getting more than a foot before D's shock halts it. (So it's lucky the student regained his own footing).

With the test concluded JD looks at the assembled pile of heavy objects glad it wasn't his job to get these all back where they were. He remains in his armor (bearing his shield) in preparation for his next test.

He does approach the huge figure, "That was a near thing. Good job on pulling that off." he says to the rocky student. "And you," he says to the Native American student, "you caught that huge AC unit like it was nothing and set it down with ease despite the bulk, is that part of your powers?"
"Something pithy this way comes."
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

John WhiteEagle: LAKOTA
HP:1

John replies to the student that approaches him. I am stronger than a normal person, but I wouldn't claim to be a "super" man. I also am able to some degree be able to affect objects through something like telekinesis. What can you tell me about yourself?"
Last edited by Hawk on Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

JD

"Ma name's JD, JD Daniels, and ma uncle and I just moved to this area a month back." the stone=shelled student says, his voice reverberating a bit in his helmet, muffled slightly. "It guess you'd say ma powers have to do with stone and earth." he says, shrugging large grapefruit-sized pauldron covered shoulders.

"The coach said your names were John and 'Vil', that right?"
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

John WhiteEagle: LAKOTA
HP:1

"You're new to the area J.D., so am I. My family moved here six weeks ago. We have moved around several times, our last stop was Atlanta. Where are you from?" John waited for J.D.'s response. Vil and J.D. seemed pretty cool so far, and John was happy to be interacting with other kids his own age.
Last edited by Hawk on Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Maya McKinny (Lifestream / HP: 1)

Maya makes a face when Pemberly overrides her offer to mend up any minor injuries, but doesn't say anything as she moves the orb of water shed held onto, hovering over her hand, off to one of the drains, then settles in to watch the rest of the students go, wincing slightly as she sees Vil slip on a bit of remnant water before catching himself.

While Vil goes about his strength test, Maya uses her power to push away the rest of the water to the drains to prevent any more slips, mentally smacking herself for not doing it in the first place.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Sarah watches the catches with disinterest. She is sizing up the other girls trying to figure out who will be the popular girls. Of course, these are just freshmen like her so she needs to see who the upperclassmen gravitate toward when trying to find friends.
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

With the final student having completed their test, the other students are given a few minutes as Mr Pemberly frantically scribbles on the clipboard. Most of the chat is either about the powers being displayed, or a few mocking their friends for their faliure. Vil notices that he gets a few long stares from some of the children as he returns to the group, but those that he spot quickly look away, avoiding his gaze.

As the TA steps forwards, it looks like he is walking out of a miniature scrapyard with the dumped items from the test. Clearing his throat, and then doing so again the students finally quieten down and turn to listen. "Alright, that is the first round of testing completed. Some great results so far, but we still have a long way to go if we are to finish this before lunch.

Walking across the gym the others would turn to follow him, leaving the trash in their wake. Pemberly moves to a large set of blue doors, and swinging them open is instantly bombarded by a mass of sports balls of every shape and size. Nearly getting nocked off of his feet the man staggers back, stifling his curses in front of the children. "He said he would tidy up, why do I even bother" he would mutter to himself. Gathering his composure, he turns to face the students and gestures to the balls with the clipboard. "Alright, this next test is a little less, well, exciting, but I think some of you will enjoy it. This is going to be testing two key attributes for heroes. That is dexterity, and agility. This test is real simple, everyone will take a ball, and will be trying to hit the target. The target in this case, will be one of the other students".

As he says this there is instantly a ripple of excitement with this idea, a few locals even begin joking about settling a few scores. "The aim of the target is to simply dodge the balls, the rest of you are trying to hit them. You'll all be marked on your ability to dodge, and your accuracy, so please take this seriously. Again, if you have any powers that will help you in this test, make sure to use them". Reaching down he would go to pick up one of the dodgeballs from the floor. "Now, who wants to go first?"
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

JD again strides out though with much heavier footfalls in his stone armor and shield.

"Powers to help not get hit, huh?" JD says before taking a step and planting his shield on the ground. The earthen construct grows, quickly forming a waist-high rampart complete with a brick pattern and crenellations on top. When JD stands he still has his shield on his arm. The circle is big enough to give him some dodge room still. He knows he could have made it a full dome or even 10 feet high to negate the chance of him getting hit entirely but JD didn't think that was right. He also knew he could go prone, make himself a near impossible target but again, that wasn't a good or 'fair' test in his estimation.

He hefted hit shield and awaited the rubber projectile storm.
[+2 cover from the wall can be bypassed if anyone has Precise Shot(Ranged, Cover), JDs taking the dodge action for another +2, total of 20 needed to hit him.]
CaptainKaulu

Post by CaptainKaulu »

Vil Grumych Granit
Luck (Inspiration): 3; HP: 1
Condition: excited

Vil gently taps Mr. Pemberly on the shoulder. "Can I kick the balls at the other students instead of throwing them? I think my aim will be better that way." He grins with pride just a bit. "I'm a soccer player."
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

Mr Pemberley looks down initially at the tap on the shoulder, and then looks up when he realises who it is. He would take a moment to think about the question before responding with an apathetic shrug. "Hm, well I don't see a problem with it. I did just drop a tonne of scrap on your guys, so a kicked ball shouldn't be a problem".

As JD sets up his surprisingly inventive (if themed) defences, there is a ripple of complaints from the students as they grab the balls.

"Come on that's not fair!" However as they get no support from the TA, they have no choice but to proceed. With the help of the ramparts, JD is able to dodge what few balls pass him with relative ease. Most bounce off of his defences before they reach him, but there are a few close calls. He feels one brush past his leg, courtesy of Vil and a well aimed kick. However he is caught of guard by a blistering throw from Maya as a dodgeball whams into the front of his helmet. Maya receives a few cheers as someone finally gets a good hit on the boy.

Eventually the back of the gym is littered with the red-brown balls, and the students rush to retrieve them, giving JD a chance to get out of the firing line. "Very good round" Pemberley remarks to the young man as he re-joins the others. "Let's see how you are with your aim".

As the students begin to cluster back up, chattering excitedly among themselves, Sarah spots a few girls in a small group near the edge of the gym who look familiar. Well dressed, and acting as if they were above this kind of thing, these were most likely the kind of people she was looking to seek out.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

JD showcases one of the drawbacks of his powers as he is forced to upend and roll his make shift cylindrical wall to the strength testing area. to add to the other dropped heavy items.

When he comes back he looks a lot less sure of himself in the accuracy part of this exam.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Sarah walks directly, confidently up to the other girls. "Can you believe how ridiculous this is?" She asks quietly.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Maya McKinny (Lifestream / HP: 1)

With the first test over, Maya is aghast when the next one turns out to be glorified dodgeball, except less of a game, and more of a firing squad. The first test was kind of dangerous, this one seemed at least more globally relevant. Not everyone had super strength, but everyone could benefit from being able to aim and dodge.

When her turn comes up after having had a few rounds of throwing at other students, taking her time and doing pretty well for herself on accuracy, Maya brings up a dancing screen of water that helps her deflect many of the ball throws against her, moving her body out of the way of balls that get past the shield, slowed by it.

Overall, a fun experience. She genuinely hoped more of the tests are like this one.
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

Despite the students best efforts, they are unable to get an effective strike against Maya. There are a few close calls when stronger students manage to punch the balls through the water, but nothing of major concern for the water manipulator. Pemberley nods approvingly as he marks something down. A few students look increasingly frustrated, and Maya hears a few words thrown around about her cheating as she heads back towards the others. She had heard similar complaints about JD and his makeshift palisade, but then teenagers were quick to throw around such accusations.

As Sarah approaches the others, they would turn to face her, taking a moment it would seem to inspect this newcomer. Dressed in the latest fashion, the first girl had long blonde hair and appeared to be the leader of the other two. "Oh, I know" she would respond in an unimpressed tone. "If I wanted to go to a school that was going to drop trash on me in a place that smells like feet, they could at least have it make sense. So, what's your name?" she would say after a moment.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"I know. They should have said to wear sportswear if we were going to be in a gym," she says. "I'm Sarah. Love your outfit, is that DK2?" (ooc: Sarah should be able to identify "latest" fashion.)