Small Town Heroes (IC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
MrTweedy

Re: Small Town Heroes (IC)

Post by MrTweedy »

The girl would look down with an impressed smile on her face as she examines her own outfit. "It is! Finally, another person with a little taste! I love your top by the way". After a moment the girl would extend a hand to Sarah. "My name is Lucy, what's yours?"
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"Thanks," Sara says as she makes sure Lucy gets a good look at her top. "I'm Sara." She shakes Lucy's hand.
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

John WhiteEagle:LAKOTA
HP:1

John moves toward the front of the line, not wanting to wait until almost the end to get this over with. When his name is called, he drops his backpack with Vil and J.D., and asks them to watch it for him. Taking up his position in the center of the room he awaits for the onslaught of red ball to hurl his way.

He starts of fairly well, dodging several of the projectiles that hurl his way from various directions, he starts to feel good about his chances, when suddenly a ball travelling at an impressive velocity nails him square in the chest, and almost before looking, he knew that it was Vil. "He sure is good at soccer". The Apache teen thinks to himself. He dodges another ball, and falsely believed that he was doing well until a shot in the side of his head cured him of that belief.

John looks around to see who got the last shot on him. Recognizing the redhead water manipulator, John walks over to her. "Good throw. My name's John, what's yours?"

(John will retrieve his backpack when his conversation is over.)
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

With John's test over, the other students seem a little more receptive to him. As the first to not use powers, his performance certainly looked more acrobatic, and judging by the murmuring, the others felt like they stood a better chance. Of course, that doesn't stop others using their powers to get the edge in their testing. Not just in defence, but in attack a number of powers are displayed.

Kellher takes his place in defence, as confident (or cocky) as he was before in the first test. This time though, he was untouchable. His body charges with a white-blue electricity, and in a blink he teleports from one point to another, dodging each ball with a faint thunderclap from his power. The over-muscled boy took his place, and however strong he was, he was not agile, and was promptly peppered with shots. One girl launches the ball with enough force to set it aflame, while the bookish girl from the previous test had been able dodge the worst of the attacks with a swirling vortex of wind.

Eventually, there are only a few students left, and the TA turns to face Sarah's group. "It looks like it's your turn. Let's get it over with".
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Maya McKinny (Lifestream / HP: 1)

Maya shrugs lightly to John, her attention mostly focused on the other students doing their testing, and throwing balls at each. "I think I'm just taking this a bit more seriously than others. And it's Maya." She smiles lightly. "Don't get me wrong though, I'm taking it seriously, but it's because I'm competitive, so I'm finding it fun is all. Would be more fun if everyone else took it a bit more seriously though."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"Can't take it seriously when it's so outlandish," Sara mumbles. Sara takes her turn and while she dodges most of the balls, several manage to tag her.
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

John WhiteEagle: LAKOTA
HP:1
EpicEclipse wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:02 pm Maya McKinny (Lifestream / HP: 1)

Maya shrugs lightly to John, her attention mostly focused on the other students doing their testing, and throwing balls at each. "I think I'm just taking this a bit more seriously than others. And it's Maya." She smiles lightly. "Don't get me wrong though, I'm taking it seriously, but it's because I'm competitive, so I'm finding it fun is all. Would be more fun if everyone else took it a bit more seriously though."
"I wasn't going to use my "powers", because I want to get a clear understanding of where I am without them. I'm new to town, six weeks actually, how long have you lived here?" I have just started meeting people my own age today. I've been talking to those guys over there." John points to J.D. and Vil. Realizing he seems to be talking too much, he stops and waits for Maya to say something.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

"So, you're a troll." JD states the obvious at Vil. "What's that like?"
"Something pithy this way comes."
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

Mr Pemberely sighs a little as Sara passes by. "Please do try and take these tests seriously, it's going to make everything a lot easier. Glancing around before checking the clipboard, he frowns a little. "Hm, I think there's one left to go still".

The other girls that Sara was talking to fared about as well, much to the joy of the students enjoying the easy targets. The one exception was one of Lucy's followers. Dressed in green and with rich brown hair that passes the shoulders, she stood out in a similar manner as the others. However he power; whatever it was, allowed her to almost predict the movements of the balls, dodging them before they even were thrown. Watching on with crossed arms, Lucy appears to be satisfied with the display. Half turning to Sara, she speaks in a quiet voice. "So what's your power then? I guess we'll all be forced to act like these idiots eventually".
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"It's rather annoying," Sara says. "I try not to use it much. I change into a better version of me but my skin is a terrible color. And there are side effects. I'd rather not talk about it. How about you?"
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

AJ Sullivan (Charger)
HP: 1; LP: 1; Condition: Normal

>(Earlier): AJ had gotten up early, even by her standards- it wasn't even light when she got out of bed and started getting ready for school. For her first day of high school, her first day of "Super School" (or at least 'Supes and Dupes', as some of the locals called it). She certainly hadn't been planning on THIS, not back at the beginning of summer- she had been planning on regular high school, with most of her friends. But well, best laid plans and all that...

She ducked out of the house just as the first fingers of day were starting to show in the eastern sky, with her backpack over one shoulder and a protein shake and few energy bars in a brown paper sack- she didn't need to each much these days, but her body really wanted a few critical things, and she knew she wouldn't have time for a proper breakfast. Behind her the house was dark- her father would be asleep for hours yet.

But Uncle Dave (Skinny Dave, not Brass Dave or Davey Joe) was pulled up at the curb in the rusty old Sullivan Salvage dump truck, the back bed of which was piled high with an assortment of random metal odds and ends- he and AJ had loaded it up the night before. He smiled as AJ climbed up into the cab of the truck and offered a quick fist bump. "Ready for high school kid?," he rasped, the voice of a life-long smoker.

"You bet!," AJ crowed, with more enthusiasm than she really felt. The drive over to school didn't take long, but it did give AJ time to wolf down her so-called breakfast. They pulled around to the back of the school, in behind what had to be the gym. A pair of large doors were already open there, and the lights were already on, showing a couple of the janitors or maintenance staff already hard at work getting the school ready for opening day.

Uncle Dave backed the truck around to the doors and AJ slid out of her seat, leaving her stuff for later. Two of the workmen came out and opened the back of the truck- they exchanged a few words with Dave when he came around to help. One of them produced a tattered list and they looked over the pile of junk in the back of the truck for a moment. From somewhere inside the building AJ could here a mechanical buzzing that rose to a roar- some sort of machinery starting up. That was followed almost immediately by a weird tingling sensation, the tactile equivalent of a faint ringing in her ears.

Uncle Dave and the two workmen reached up into the truck and started pulling out various lumps of metallic junk, apparently guided by that list they had. Working together the three men hauled the first piece in through the doors, where another man waited with a control box. Once they were inside, the other man lowered some equipment down from the ceiling- a battered disk slung from a strong web of cables. After a moment AJ recognized it as an electromagnetic crane, a smaller version of the one they had in the salvage yard, the one that lifted cars into the crusher. With a whine the crane started lifting the junk (a battered old dishwasher) up towards a hatch in the ceiling of the gym. AJ looked up for a moment, trying to figure out just how all of THAT was supposed to work- then she shook her head. She would find out soon enough- but high school was already kind of weird...

The three men headed back out to the truck, ready for another selection from the junk pile. AJ stepped forward to stand beside her uncle. Even before she started speaking, a faint silvery glow began to kindle in the air around her hands. "I can help out with this, I think," she said. Dave nodded quickly, but the two workmen looked at each other briefly, then at AJ, then back at one another. Working at a school for superhumans they had obviously seen stranger things than this, and after a moment the older of the two men nodded. "New student huh? Welcome to Green Creek, then. And if you wanna help out, you just go right ahead. As long as we can wrap this up before Pemberly gets here, that is. He likes to follow "procedures"..."

With AJ 'helping' the work went much faster than expected- they finished getting all the metallic junk into place just as the first cars started pulling into the faculty spaces in the parking lot. After a brief breather, the two workmen went off to other tasks somewhere else in the school, and the man who had been running the crane climbed up a ladder into the space above the ceiling, getting ready for some sort of "test" later. AJ and Uncle Dave wandered deeper into the school- the cafeteria staff were at work by now, and Dave scored a pair of cardboard cups full of something the called 'coffee', and they headed back to the gym.

By now another man had arrived, a weedy little fellow with curly hair and a clipboard, who was coordinating 'something with the guy operating the crane. AJ took a seat on the bleachers while Dave spoke with the man for bit, comparing the list Dave had with a list on the clipboard. After a few minutes and one grudgingly-applied signature, Dave ambled back over to sit beside AJ, watching the operation. Finally the guy with the clipboard nodded and his attention swung over to AJ. Consulting his notes, he sighed and spoke. "Miss Sullivan, is it? I'm Mr. Pemberly, a teaching assistant here, and I handle the new student introduction process. If you would come over here, we need to make a final check of the equipment for this, and we'll let you take your first test." AJ stood up and started walking over before the man cleared his throat and spoke again. "This is, um, a test of your physical strength. Injuries are not unheard of, but I believe the school nurse IS already here, so you should be fine. Now, if you wil just stand over here..." He used his pen to point at a space on the floor- directly underneath the hatch where they had loaded all of that stuff earlier.

AJ paused for just a moment. Physical strength? Injuries? "This is, uh, Powered Up, right?," she asked to which Pemberly replied with an impatient nod and another twitch of the pen at the floor. AJ started forward again- but now a soft silvery glow seemed to surround her, lined with barely noticeable darker streaks. "Then I'm ready," she said as she stepped into the designated space- or rather just above the spot, and the silvery energy seemed to lift her gently into the air. She looked up just in time to see a massive block of metal falling towards her head. In a panicked reflex, she pushed out with one hand- and the thin dark lines within the silvery cloud arced outwards, snaring the block and holding it in mid-air about a foot short of hitting her. "Whoa!" With a flick of her wrist the heavy piece of metal rose back up towards the hatch, which promptly slid shut.

Mr. Pemberly gave a soft cluck- AJ Couldn't tell if if was disapproval or not. And Uncle Dave hooted wildly and clapped, acting like the Giants had scored a crucial touchdown. AJ sighed and blushed a little as the silvery energy faded and she sank back to the ground,, her battered Converse sneakers settling gently onto the wooden floor. Pemberly made some notes on his clipboard, then made shooing gesture with his pen. Without another word AJ went back out to the truck and grabbed her backpack, then she and Uncle Dave climbed further up into the seats to wait for the other students to come in. Once Pemberly went off to retrieve the other first-years, AJ took out one of her textbooks and started reading to pass the time.

The other kids were ushered in and went through their tests- probably without even noticing that AJ and Dave were watching, given how far up on the bleachers they had perched. AJ had, in fact, hunkered down a bit, looking for familiar faces from middle school, or just around town. She hadn't been planning on going to 'Super School' when summer started, so she hadn't paid too much attention to who else was supposed to end up there. Was that an honest-to-goodness TROLL looming over most of the other students?

Once the testing was complete Pemberly shuffled the other students off to the other side of the gym and opened a closet full of variously sized balls. AJ and her uncle started climbing down from the bleachers. Almost by reflex, AJ moved towards the pile of junk, ready to help clean it up. But her uncle reached out and patted her on the shoulder. "Don't worry 'bout that. You get on over with the other kids- you're supposed to be going to SCHOOL here, remember? Those other guys and I, we'll get all this sorted- but I can leave it on the truck back at the yard for you to unload, if you really want to." Aj looked over at the other students, who were starting to sort themselves into groups. She flashed her uncle a smile and took a step over that way- but then she stopped, hesitating. "Go on, Git!," her uncle snarled, then burst into another smile. "You'll do fine, kid. Come on, be Sullivan Strong!". AJ smiled, this time more fiercely, and started walking across the gym...

>OOC: Sorry about the wall of text here, and I hope I didn't overreach by borrowing Pemberly (tried to keep to his previous IC actions anyway). Dex Check is an 8, and the Move Object from her Control Field is rank 4, so enough to catch/hold the test weight. Rolls are in my OOC post.

pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

(PART 2)

AJ Sullivan (Charger)

AJ slowed down a bit as she walked over towards the other students- mostly just to get a sense of what was going on for this part of the test. It looked like some weird kind of dodgeball- and she had been playing THAT for years. In fact, her older brother had sometimes made her play it, whether she wanted to or not, simply by tossing a ball at her randomly, with or without a warning "Think Fast!". That was just how older brothers were.

The groups didn't seem to be quite evenly divided, so she drifted towards one set that was mostly kids she DIDN'T recognize. One of the girls looked sort of familiar, but none of the guys did. She just sort of attached herself to that bunch, without saying a word, just kind of drifting into their orbit. She stowed her backpack up against one wall, out of the way, and took her place in the firing line. Her throwing aim was pretty much unremarkable, but when it was her turn to play target she powered up again, rising into the air in a soft cocoon of silvery light laced through with fine dark lines like fractal threads. She hung in the air, only a few feet up and well within range, pausing only long enough to pull a pair of flying goggles into place before the barrage of sports balls was launched her way. She moved easily, smoothly through the air- not terribly fast, but so easily that she seemed to be defying basic physics. It wasn't as if gravity had let go of her, it looked almost like gravity was shifting around her, pulling her back and forth through moves she shouldn't have been able to make. It didn't make every shot miss, but it certainly made her a harder target than most of the other new students.

When the onslaught ceased, she sank back down to the ground and the silvery glow faded away. She slid the goggles back up onto her forehead, and watched the rest of the tests...

>Again, rolls and notes are in the OOC post.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Vil didn't seem talkative. Maybe it was a troll thing or perhaps JD had given offense without realizing it. He made his way to the silvery student.

"Hey there." JD says approaching her. "I'm JD. Can you fly? That's awesome." he says assuming the answer.
"Something pithy this way comes."
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Flynnarrel wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:18 am Vil didn't seem talkative. Maybe it was a troll thing or perhaps JD had given offense without realizing it. He made his way to the silvery student.

"Hey there." JD says approaching her. "I'm JD. Can you fly? That's awesome." he says assuming the answer.
AJ Sullivan (Charger)

At first it seemed as if she hadn't heard him, or maybe she was just ignoring his comment. But after a moment she did turn to look back at JD, and he would be able to tell that she had just been a bit... distracted. Her eyes were still wide with excitement and she had a broad smile on her face- a look JD might recognize from some of the more fervent folk in his church back home or from hardcore sports fans watching their team triumph. "Yeah, flying is great. Especially now that I'm learning how to do it really well. I haven't had my powers more than a couple of months, and when I first started flying I kept doing these uncontrolled barrel rolls every time I turn too tight." Her smile slipped just a notch as she started to come back down to earth emotionally.

"I'm AJ," she said, extending one hand halfway, as if she weren't exactly sure that was the right introductory gesture. "Are you new around here? I haven't heard an accent like that lately..."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Maya McKinny (Lifestream / HP: 1)

Maya looks more directly at John, away from the testing for the moment. "Slow down there cowboy. Like I said, I am trying to take this testing seriously, even if plenty of others here aren't. Right now isn't exactly a prudent time for making new friends. Wait until after the testing, okay?" She really wasn't trying to come off as rude, but she was trying to concentrate on the testing while her ear was being chatted off.