Small Town Heroes (IC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Flynnarrel

Re: Small Town Heroes (IC)

Post by Flynnarrel »

pathfinderq1 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:44 pm "I'm AJ," she said, extending one hand halfway, as if she weren't exactly sure that was the right introductory gesture. "Are you new around here? I haven't heard an accent like that lately..."
JD grins sheepishly, though it wasn't visible under the stone helmet. "Yeah, mah uncle uncle an I just moved up 'bout a month back." JD says.

"I've been working with mah powers most of the summer and their still tricky at times. Well, I don't mean to distract too much from the tests." he says.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

John WhiteEagle: LAKOTA

EpicEclipse wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:04 pm Maya McKinny (Lifestream / HP: 1)

Maya looks more directly at John, away from the testing for the moment. "Slow down there cowboy. Like I said, I am trying to take this testing seriously, even if plenty of others here aren't. Right now isn't exactly a prudent time for making new friends. Wait until after the testing, okay?" She really wasn't trying to come off as rude, but she was trying to concentrate on the testing while her ear was being chatted off.

"Sure, I'll let you get back to it, but I'm not a cowboy,...... obviously." John moves away and reclaimed his backpack. He looks around observing what the other students were doing, and how they were interacting. Keeping his ears open, he will wait for the next test to start.
Last edited by Hawk on Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

Raising his voice over the low hubbub of chatter, Mr Pemberly is eventually able to attract the attention of the students. "Alright everyone, good work so far. We will be running one more test, and then we will be taking a quick break. If you'll all follow me". Instead of remaining in the gym, the TA leads them towards a door set in the side of the gym. The blue paint was flaking a little around the edge of the frame. What was beyond the door was what looked like it used to be a long and narrow storage room, but it had since been gutted. A strip light flickered on overhead, presenting a strange view. At the far end, the walls and floor had been lined with what looked like a set of mattresses, and at the end close to the door was a contraption made of perhaps steel. It looked like some kind of piston, but it didn't power anything, and instead seemed to almost have been aimed at the mattress. The faster students could probably figure out what was about to happen, and it wasn't going to be painless.

Mr Pemberly turns to face the students with a wincing smile. "Ok, so I won't lie to you, this test, it's not the best one that we run. On the plus side, it doesn't really take a lot of work on your part". He gestures to the apparatus as he continues. "All you need to do is stand in front of this, and we are going to be testing your defence abilities. We used to test students against other students, but there were all these injuries and grudges getting settled, and, well, it was a whole thing. Trust me, this is the better option".

With that explanation completed, he makes his way into the room as the students hover around the entrance. Pemberly kneels down, setting his clipboard aside as he begins to fiddle with the piston mechanism. There is a faint hum as a motor starts up. Judging by the care that the TA is working, it would seem that this equipment is one of the few valuable things in the school.

"Ok, quick test" he would mutter to himself before pressing a large red button on the top of the machine. There is a loud hiss of hydraulics and in an instant the machine lurches on the spot, and a length of steel fires forwards with a bang. As it does, a number of the students take a very solid step back, clearly not excited about being hit by that. Nodding to himself as the piston slowly retracts, Mr Pemberly turns to face the students. "Alright, let's get this over with. Who's first?"
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Flynnarrel wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:28 pm JD grins sheepishly, though it wasn't visible under the stone helmet. "Yeah, mah uncle uncle an I just moved up 'bout a month back." JD says.

"I've been working with mah powers most of the summer and their still tricky at times. Well, I don't mean to distract too much from the tests." he says.
AJ Sullivan
HP: 1; LP: 1; Condition: Bruised (-1)

AJ shook her head. "Don't worry about it. I mean, I'm not watching the tests too close- it's just the flying and everything, having real honest-to-goodness super powers, it's still really... New and exciting, I guess. I get really caught up in it. Probably good to get me attention back on what we're doing." She paused and looked around a bit- it looked like this test was wrapping up. "Anyway, welcome to Bass City, I guess. I've been here a couple of years, and I've definitely lived in worse places..."

She looked as if she might go on, but at that point Mr. Pemberly raised his voice and her attention snapped to what HE was saying. Once they were shown the whole piston set up, AJ moved to the front of the group. "I'll give it a try, sir," she said, once Pemberly called for volunteers. She moved over to where it looked like she ought to stand, lowering her goggles back into place and taking a ready stance that looked more like a football pose than a trained fighter. The silvery glow sparked to light around her, but this time it remained as a close aura instead of spreading out.

The piston obviously hit her harder than she was expecting, driving her backwards into the padding on the wall. She shook her head wearily and stepped out of the line of fire. "That wasn't too bad. My older brother hits harder than that..."

>OOC:
-Toughness check, DC 17, using force field: 1d20+6= 12
-roll: https://orokos.com/roll/754937 (This is actually just the base d20 roll of 6, without the modifier- pushed the button too quick)

>So for a Toughness check at DC 17, fail by 5 (just the edge of 1 degree, so bruised -1).
Last edited by pathfinderq1 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

JD is impressed as AJ volunteers to be first. He watches as the thing impacts her solidly.

He checks she's okay otherwise, and steps up next still in his stone armored form. He nods for the button to be pressed.
Toughness: 1d20+10 27
The piston hits and JD doesn't even move or flinch. In fact, the machine may have rocked back slightly, finding no purchase or give from the mountainous teen.
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

John WhiteEagle:LAKOTA
HP:1

Taking his position in front of the piston, the Apache teen brings up his telekinetic shield and nods to the instructor to launch the piston at him. The piston strikes his shield and bounces back, leaving John uninjured and unmoved. John moves out of the way to allow the next teen to have their turn.

Toughness:1D20+8=[18]+8=26

Now that his test was over, John walks over to J.D. and congratulate him on an impressive showing. " Very cool..........., I wonder how many tests they are going to have us do? " He says.
Last edited by Hawk on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

JD nods as John exits the testing target zone. "Niiiiice."
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

John WhiteEagle: LAKOTA
HP:1

Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:13 pm JD nods as John exits the testing target zone. "Niiiiice."
"Thanks, you as well."
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

AJ Sullivan
HP: 1; LP: 1; Condition: Bruised (-1; Regenerating 2/10)

"Pfff," AJ muttered as she watched the boys take their shots without flinching and then congratulate one another. A couple of show-offs, but then what boy that age DIDN'T act that way- she had seen her older brother and his friends do much the same thing. As the other students lined up to take their turns, AJ moved around to where she could get the best look at the piston set-up- powers were all well and good, but she had been a techie and a gearhead longer than she had been s superhuman...

>OOC: just checking in, basically.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Maya McKinny (Lifestream / HP: 1)

Ugh...finally the last one...no, this doesn't look dangerous at all.. Maya looked on in disbelief at the last test. In one sense, she understood heroes tended to take a beating as part of the job, but what she didn't really understand how these tests were so....generalized.

Not that it would detur her from giving her best as she took her turn, getting into position and staring defiantly at the large piston as she brings up her water shield. It might not hold back the big metal rod, but it would at least slow it down and blunt the impact.

Even as the piston shot towards her, Maya's eye seemed to glow lightly as against all expectations, her water shield catches and stops the contraption dead inches from Maya's body. Determined as the set expression is on Maya's face, even she looks surprised as the piston withdraws and she releases the shield, ushering the water safely away from the testing area as she steps down.
Toughness: 1d20+6 21
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Sarah Dimple
HP: 1; Condition: bruised (-1); staggered

Once again at the end of the line, Sarah steps up, nervous. That thing looks painful. But she really doesn't want to power up. She can take it. She can take-- The piston fires and she flies backward into the mattress. Her chest hurts and she staggers as she steps away from the machine. "I'm okay," she mumbles as she weaves a moth's path away from the machine. She clears her head after a moment. But the bruise lingers.
CaptainKaulu

Post by CaptainKaulu »

Vil Grumych Granit
Luck (Inspiration): 3; HP: 1
Condition: unscathed

Toughness vs piston: 1d20+10 28

Vil takes his turn, not even blinking as the piston hits him like a mosquito bite. But he's tactful enough not to say anything that could be construed as a troll showing off its native toughness as he rejoins the other students.
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

Although the likes of Vil, JD and Maya had performed well in there test, it seems that the majority of students lacked their physical toughness or defensive powers. Of course the over muscled boy that they had seen performed admirably in the test, but the vast majority of the children were hurled into the mattresses with varying degrees of bruises. Perhaps this was something for them to work on in their future training.

As Sarah completes her test, should would notice Mr Pemberly raise an eyebrow a little at her test as he takes a little longer writing whatever it was that he was writing. As the students huddle back around to nurse their various injuries, the TA would raise his voice once again. "Alright everyone! We're going to take a quarter of an hour break outside before the next set of tests. If you'll all follow me" he would state as he shuffles out of the room and begins to lead them towards the exit of the gym.

He leads them down one of the schools dingy corridors, and for a short while they are the only ones there. Before they reach on of the glassed double doors that lead outside, a bell rings somewhere at the end of the corridor, and almost instantly doors all around them swing open, spilling the current students out of class. The freshmen quickly find themselves surrounded and jostled at the students make their way to their next class. Again they see a glimpse of the dizzying array of students here as this school. In this corridor alone at least a quarter of the students seem to be human, and here and there they see crackles of powers being discharged.

Eventually however they are able to burst free through the door onto a tarmacked area. The square of tarmac is large enough for most of the students in the school to fit on relatively easily. The left and front side of the square is lined with the school buildings, with the right leading out past a set of concrete bollards into a car park. The back of the square lead out onto what seemed to be the playing fields, and from here a number of pitch lines and goals for American football can be seen.

"Alright, the car park is out of bounds, and try not to wander off too far, because I'll need you all back here when the next bell rings. I suggest you take this time to get to know each other a bit, and take a rest from the tests you've gone though. Don't forget, meet back here when the bell goes!"
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

It takes JD a moment of concentration but eventually the Stone armor and shield crack and crumble off of him. He looks at the resulting gravel sheepishly and tries to spread it around sop it's not that obvious. He looks around for Maya as if to reaffirm what he said on the bus - a mess.

Regardless, JD heads for the muscled kid. "Good job in those tests back there. I'm JD." JD introduces. "You... uh... going out for any sports? I was thinking football." he says to make conversation with his slower southern drawl.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Maya McKinny (Lifestream / HP: 1)

Maya sighs as the tests end...then rolls her eyes at the mention of another round of them after the break. She smiles as JD catches her eye to indicate the mess of rubble. Given a bit more practice, she could probably well up some water around that rubble and usher it away, but her control wasn't quite there yet, and trying would just make mud at best. Seeing JD go to speak with some other students, Maya sought out a comfortable place to relax in the shade for a little while, taking an energy bar out from her bag to snack on, watching the other students mingle, giving a welcoming smile to any that approach her.