Small Town Heroes (IC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Flynnarrel

Re: Small Town Heroes (IC)

Post by Flynnarrel »

"Surfing? Like on boards an' such? Ah.. no.. I mean.. I've nevah had the chance..." his words drift off at her display of power and questions.

"Oh, ma cur... you mean, uh... ma abilities." He looks down at his lap, his body language conveys shame or embarrassment. "Yeah, I'm... still getting a handle on them. Mostly I jus' seem to break stuff or make a mess of things."

"Like, literal messes. Ma powers involve dirt. Sometimes stone." he explains.
"Something pithy this way comes."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Maya McKinny (Lifestream / HP: 1)

"Jersey has a decent surfing scene. You should come out some time if you wanna give it a try."

She tilts her head slightly when he seems ashamed of having powers, but doesn't comment on it. "Well darn. Hoped maybe you had some ability that could evaporate this. I can draw out water, can't really get rid of it." She looks around and surreptitiously lowers the small ring of water to let it flow onto the bus floor and hoped the driver wouldn't notice before it could dry on its own.

"Dirt and stone though huh? Sounds like it could be really useful in some industries."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

JD nods. "Yeah, if I make a rampart or tunnel or somesuch I can't really get rid of it or... 'unshape' it. I can move stuff around a bit though."

"So you've lived in the area a while. Will you have friends at the school?"
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Maya purses her lips in thought and leans back in the seat. "What about flattening it out? Do you make the dirt, or move what's there around?"

She pauses at the question about friends. "I mean, of course, though I guess I'm a bit of a black sheep. They're all about parties and makeup and stuff, while I prefer the waves. So I have friends, but I wouldn't necessarily say I have any besties, you know?"
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

"Flatten out? Maybe, but at that point I'm breaking it rather than... reshaping it, y'know?"

"As to creating or moving, a bit of both I suppose." JD admits giving a half-shrug. "I'm not really... well practiced. And training with ma uncle only goes so far. He's pure. That's why we moved here." he says, unaware of his word choice.
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

LAKOTA: John WhiteEagle
HP:1

Seeing a Troll in the flesh, so to speak for the first time was quite an experience for John. As the Troll gets closer to his location John gives him a slight wave and says, "Hi."
Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask »

Erin didn't hear much aboard the bus, not while wearing her oversized headphones playing The Bangles. From the corner of her eye, she did noticed one girl nearby seemingly showing off her powers to a boy. Apparently guys are now into girls with massive sweating abilities. Go figure.

Erin switched off her walkman and as she did so, overheard them talking about surfing. Though a sport enthusiast, she much preferred the more physical aspects such as baseball and volleyball. Besides all she can do either at the pool or the beach is doing the doggy paddle, not good when you have to a image to uphold. She politely tried not to stare at the couple and began to rummage through her purse and took out her favorite baseball, autographed last month by Derek Jeter from the New York Yankees himself. She curled her right fist as she made a knuckle ball and smirked as the baseball quickly transformed into solid gold.

A real pity it only lasts about an hour or so. Otherwise I'll buy the entire American League.
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

As the bus rumbles along, rattling over the occasional pot hole or speedbump, there would be more and more stops as other students clamber aboard. The bus slowly fills with the hubbub of excitement of the first day of school. Students of every shape and size clamber aboard, a true cross-section of the quaint little town. This was not the only bus to the school, there were a few other collecting students from other parts of town.

There is a ripple of murmurs along the length of the bus as it passes by a strange brown silhouette heading in the same direction as them. Another student perhaps? If they were, they certainly didn't look human.

As Erin makes a subtle use of her powers, it would quickly be evident that she wasn't the only one. Every so often there was a pop of flames, or a crackle of blue energy as a few of the students show off their powers. Others clutch all manner of deadly weapons, ranging from swords to staffs to far more alien looking devices. The bus drivers originally cheery complexation becomes somewhat more strained by the noise and flashes of light.

As Erin grips the golden ball her friend would give her a nudge, grinning as she does. "You know, I keep telling you that we could have some real fun with that power of yours. I'm still so jealous that you get to go to that crazy school while I'm stuck with all the norms. You're going to have so much more fun than me!" Glancing around secretively, Arlene lowers her voice a little. "So, you never told me how you're planning to keep your little secret from the folks?"

While the others are crammed into the bus, John sees a bus trundle slowly down the street, drawing to a halt in front of the stop. Already crammed with kids, the doors slide open and a now weary looking driver looks down at the group stood there.

"Green Creek? Anyone?" She says in a tired voice.

At the question John feels a hand in the small of his back push him towards the bus. "Go on" he brother says, grinning down at John. "Our's be the next one. Wait here for us here after school alright? Mum and Dad will kill me if you start walking home alone".

At this point the large troll that John had seen reaches the stop. The bus driver calls out to him as he begins to pass by. "Are you going to Green Creek dear?"
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

JD is startled as kids bring deadly weapons on board the bus to school then thinks about it a moment. He supposes at a school where every student was a potential weapon of mass destruction, a few carrying swords or such wasn't that big a deal. An institution's policy on bearing arms at a school where students could summon fire or deadly charges of electricity or who knew what else at a single thought was kinda silly.

JD rubbed his hands together - a nervous habit - as he couldn't help but recall his life-long teachings on the evils and destructions that may be wrought by powered individuals. And he was about to meet a school full of them! He took a few steadying breaths and tried to remind himself that his the teachings of his father's church were extremist and wrong. People were people, no matter what they could do or if they were like that mud creature they passed on the way here or if they were.... JD stopped and stared at the huge stone giant at the bus stop they were pulling up to. Astonish and awe on his face. He knew, conceptually, there'd be more of the 'fantasy races' in this area. The only exposure he'd had in person was a dwarven family who moved into the town he grew up in but ended up moving out of a few months later when their home and furniture business kept getting vandalized. They'd had a son that JD's father expressly forbade him from talking to so JD never got close to them in their brief stint in that slice of rural Alabama.

People are people. He reminded himelf.
Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask »

Erin rolled her eyes at Arlene and replied in a somewhat hesitating tone: "Being among 'Norms' ain't so bad as it sounds. As for my mom and dad, all they know is the word exclusive attached to the Green Creek school and that's fine for them as long as i don't get expelled or there isn't any bad publicity involved. Besides they aren't around half of the time anyway with Dad commuting back and forth to Trenton and back while mom is busy with keeping the books with the bank. Its not like they be going to any PTA meetings in the near future unless the Y2k bug hits us early this year."

Despite her bluster, Erin really didn't feel like her parents are as myopic as she believed while keeping her powers a secret from them.

Maybe she should wear a mask on school grounds.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Maya keeps an eye on JD as he seems to ponder the universe, and the new students boarding. Giving JD a little bump with her shoulder, she leans forward a little to look at his face. "You okay there? Y'look like you're figuring out the logistics to end world hunger." she smiles lightly at the light tease.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

JD pulls his attention out of his own thoughts and focuses on Maya. "Sorry... just... a little overwhelmed, I think. Newness all around." he says.

He tries to recall the thread of conversation. "Uh yeah, I think I do a bit of both - moving what's there but also creating if need. I got this thing where I put a suit of rock armor around me. A shield too. It was ma uncle's idea."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

"Well I can see why you'd be concerned about messes then, trailing all that dirt and rock grit around even after you take off such a suit." she smiles again. "But seriously, that sounds really neat, like a knight." she raises a mischevious brow. "Don't get any ideas about me being some kind of damsel though."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

"You're no princess then?" JD smiles shyly, getting in on the joke.
CaptainKaulu

Post by CaptainKaulu »

Vil Grumych Granit
Luck (Inspiration): 3; HP: 1
Condition: confused, as usual

Hawk wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:26 pmSeeing a Troll in the flesh, so to speak for the first time was quite an experience for John. As the Troll gets closer to his location John gives him a slight wave and says, "Hi."
MrTweedy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:21 pmAt this point the large troll that John had seen reaches the stop. The bus driver calls out to him as he begins to pass by. "Are you going to Green Creek dear?"
Vil waves back to John, not sure how to act in this new acquaintanceship, but naturally amiable. "Hi. I'm Vil. What's your name?"

As the bus driver calls out to him, Vil turns his attention. "No, I'm going to Green Creek." He takes one more step down the sidewalk before realizing his mistake, and does a double-take stop halfway through his step. "... Wait."

Rapidly -- or as rapidly as he can in this heat -- he weighs the pros and cons of hopping on the bus. Would that make him fit in better? Or estrange other kids who walk to school? How would his parents feel about him hopping on the bus without having signed up for it? Would he even fit in the seats of the bus? Did this kid that called out to him really want to talk to him more?

He even considers pulling out his Magic Soccer Ball and consulting it for advice, but there's not time to do so before the bus driver starts to give up on him and sits back down in the driver's seat. Seeing his opportunity vanishing, Vil acts on impulse, jumping onto the bus without having really made up his mind whether he wants to.

He ignores the look the driver gives him -- half curious, half exasperated at his last-minute boarding -- and goes and sits next to John WhiteEagle.