Adventures Assemble S3E3: The Great Brain Robbery!

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
stavaros_the_arcane

Re: Adventures Assemble S2E3: Call to Arms!

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

kenseido wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:05 pm Kisai
Then he leans over and pets Gelert. "Thank you, again, my friend. I almost let my anger get the best of me and overplayed my hand. They don't need to know everything I know just yet.

Pulling out a treat, he gives it to Gelert. Either they don't know the Dragon is Seiryu, or they think I don't know. Perhaps in some mixed-up way, the High Master is trying to goad me into leaving for the sake of all. In any case, there would be one person here who knows the truth about the Dragon and knows that I know - Lucienne's agent.
Gelert happy noms his treat. "Happy to help."

Ysariel wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:56 pmThe High Master looks around one shoulder and his eyes narrow at Gelert's words.

"Very well. I see the ancient wards around Shambhala have bestowed upon you a generous measure of the truth. You, then, understand how great the task of stopping the Incarnate of War is. If Lucienne is allowed to enact her foolish and ignorant plan, and even attack the Incarnate directly, the resulting conflict will further empower the Incarnate of War. Perhaps even to the point of invincibility. She must be stopped, whatever the cost."
Gelert nods his agreement solemnly.

He turns to the others. "I'll explain what the spells showed me later. It is very important info about the Armada and why Lucienne can't be allowed to have her way."
Ysariel wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:56 pm From one side of the hall, a herald cries out. "Lord Ishmael ibn Uthman, Guardian of the Sacred Flame, Keeper of Simurgh, the Firebird of the South!"

A Persian man staggers in, supported by his armed guards. Blood splatters the carpet behind him as he walks. Immediately you see he is very heavily wounded; his clothes and skin bear the marks of laser burns.

"We have lost it," he gasps. "We lost the guardian spirit, the Firebird... to Her!"

"Lucienne," hisses the High Master.
The terrible implications of this news could wait, right now there was a seriously injured man bleeding in front of them.

Gelert is off like a shot, running up to the Lord Ibn Uthman and his guards. "Sir I'm a healer, your injuries need immediate attention. Please allow me to help." As soon as its clear that the guards aren't about to attack him if he tries to help, Gelert begins applying his healing energies to the injured mage.

OOC: Healing 9 (Increased Range: ranged)
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Nightbird
Outside the walls of Shambhala
OOC
I'm very sorry for your extremely delayed scene. I revised this several times, and I kept delaying it in favor of moving the main group along. As an apology take 1 HP.

This will be a standard skill challenge, with 5 checks, the difficulty spiking on the 3rd check, and you pass if you accumulate 3 successes. If you fail you are captured and brought before the High Master.
You walk across the snow, planting your feet upon the rocky gravel that peeks through the pristine white coat, and inch your way across the frozen ground to what seems like the fortress's water supply. Here, a crystal clear mountain stream flows through a mighty portcullis under a square guard tower into the fortress. For a moment, you wonder - surely powerful mages would have their own means of magically producing water? Why would they need a natural source? But the die is cast, and you are already under the tower's shadow.

The guard tower is some 50ft tall, hewn of the same smooth stone that makes up Shambhala's outer walls, weathered and worn with age. You observe the porticullis at its base, made of ancient, parallel vertical bars. The bars are extremely narrow, designed to prevent any human from squeezing through. However, Killpatrick taught you some tricks in the event you ever had to escape from an evil lair.

Alternately, you could also pull the oldest one in the book - create a distraction and watch for guards to open the gates for you. A cry of help, perhaps?
OOC
You can make an Escape Artist check (untrained) to squeeze through the porticullis bars.

Alternately, you can make a power check with any Damage power, including unarmed damage.

You can make a Deception check to create a deception in the hope that it attracts guards who will open the porticullis to investigate.

You can also do anything else you consider reasonable.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

All (except Nightbird)
Shambhala - Hall of Divine Harmony
Kisai wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:35 pm "How does that affect selecting a new Master Mage? How can you select one without the four Guardians?"
"The selection of the Master Mage is entirely the affairs of mortals," the old woman in the elegant black gown explains. "But without the blessing of the four heavenLy guardians..."

"The election continues as normal," hisses the High Master. "He or she who is elected Master Mage must then free the guardians, and receive theirrightful power from them." He clenches a scaled fist. "Curse you, Adrian Eldritch! If not for your stubborn refusal to surrender your seat, none of this would've happened!"
Moonlight wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:29 am "Wouldn't a more pressing concern be that Lucienne seems to have bypassed the wards on this place, or did this attack happen outside of Shamballa?"
Gelert wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:57 am "Sir I'm a healer, your injuries need immediate attention. Please allow me to help." As soon as its clear that the guards aren't about to attack him if he tries to help, Gelert begins applying his healing energies to the injured mage.
Ibn Uthman's guards part way as Gelert approaches, and the old mage groans as blue light surrounds him. He opens his eyes at Gelert and groans in relief. "By the holy flame," gasps the wizard, "I am saved! By a talking dog!"

One of his guards explains. "We were assaulted in Baghdad by her agents," she says. "They referred to each other by color-coded names... Red Flag, Agent Orange, Greenlight, and a large force of their Men in Black. The acolytes were all slain, the wards of our demesne shattered... my lord was deeply wounded. Then a triangular portal of light appeared above us, and Lucienne directed her power against my lord and wrested control of the Guardian. Under the circumstances, we stood no chance..."

A familiar voice - to Kisai at least - booms from the opposite side of the hall. "Do you see now why your course is folly?"

"Lord Reizo Saito, Herald of the Eastern Wind, Keeper of Seiryu, the Azure Dragon!" proclaims the herald.

Kisai's father walks in with his retinue: a burly man whose tattoos mark him as ex-yakuza, a street samurai, retainer mages and shinobi from allied clans. He wears a traditional Japanese kimono and hakama, but is unarmed. He looks directly at Kisai, paying no attention to Qora and Moonlight.

"Do you see now the powers you deal with? The consequences of the course you choose? If even old and powerful mages can be struck down by her hand, how long do you think you will survive if Lucienne turns her hand against you?"
Last edited by Ysariel on Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Kisai

Philip is ready to play it cool until his father shows up and does that thing that he does that so annoys Philip.

Talking.

"She has shown up, only we defeated her minions. And when she tried to take Seiryu... well, she failed."
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird
HP: 4 > 5 > 4 LP: 1
Condition: Normal

Moving as quickly and quietly as possible Nightbird flitted from rocky outcrop to a dip in the landscape always alert and as silent as a shadow even moving across a bed of loose shingle without disturbing a single piece of shingle. Even while focusing on staying hidden Imogen was still able to soak in the scenery, the landscape, the breathtaking views and deep down a sense of what she couldn't really describe but knowing she was probably walking over the very same trails that Kilpatrick had in his younger days, maybe he even considered scaling the sheer mountain wall over there with nothing but his own hands and feet or perhaps passing the portcullis without leaving any sign of passage.

Taking her time to observe the obstacle in front of her Imogen considered the possible options, a sonic scream would probably blast a hole in the gate but also attract a lot of unwanted attention, a distraction was another option although its success would depend on how alert the guards were and finally there was a riskier option using skills taught in her second year of training, options in case she was ever captured, tied up or even imprisoned.

Taking another moment of two to concentrate, Imogen focused on relaxing her body, controlling her breathing to expel as much air as possible and if required dislocating her limbs to slip through the bars, thankfully she was still relatively slim although wiry.

Still as silent as a shadow Imogen twisted her body to stick one leg through the bars then a twist to slip her hips whilst her arm curved round to give her leverage to pull her torso through. The hood of her cape was pulled tight around her head to provide some protection to her ears and face.

"I will do this!! I ... can ... do ...IT!!!"

Nightbird will attempt to slip between the bars.
Nightbird Slight of Hand: 1d20+8 20
HP to reroll

Nightbird Slight of Hand: 1d20+8 24

From memory escape artist is a subset of slight of hand which Nightbird has a +8 bonus in. If I have misinterpreted just use the rolls above of 12 and 16 plus any bonuses if applicable instead.
stavaros_the_arcane

Ysariel wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:42 pm All (except Nightbird)

Ibn Uthman's guards part way as Gelert approaches, and the old mage groans as blue light surrounds him. He opens his eyes at Gelert and groans in relief. "By the holy flame," gasps the wizard, "I am saved! By a talking dog!"

"You would not believe how often I get that reaction. Actually maybe you would." Gelert as he finishes up his healing. "My name is Gelert and its nice to meet you sir, despite the unfortunate circumstances."
Ysariel wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:42 pmA familiar voice - to Kisai at least - booms from the opposite side of the hall. "Do you see now why your course is folly?"

"Lord Reizo Saito, Herald of the Eastern Wind, Keeper of Seiryu, the Azure Dragon!" proclaims the herald.

Kisai's father walks in with his retinue: a burly man whose tattoos mark him as ex-yakuza, a street samurai, retainer mages and shinobi from allied clans. He wears a traditional Japanese kimono and hakama, but is unarmed. He looks directly at Kisai, paying no attention to Qora and Moonlight.

"Do you see now the powers you deal with? The consequences of the course you choose? If even old and powerful mages can be struck down by her hand, how long do you think you will survive if Lucienne turns her hand against you?"
Gelert looks up from his patient to shoot a glare at the man. The corgi does not like the man's defeatist attitude and has the distinct impression he's trying to leverage others tragedies to serve his own agenda.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

All (except Nightbird)

"Your brother is dead," Reizo Saito says simply.

There is a bitter hollowness in his words as he lets that hang in the air a moment.

"Young men always believe they are invincible. Always. Until it is too late and they discover the world is full of old and dangerous powers. You face an immortal threat whose origins not even the wise of Shambhala understand. If you are elected High Master, the task of confronting not only Lucienne but recovering Suzaku, whom Lord ibn Uthman lost, falls to you. You truly believe you are capable of that? You believe you are worthy to be blessed by Seiryu?" He points at you. "If you and your friends do... then accept my challenge for the seat of Master mage!"

The High Master starts; his jaundinced, yellow eyes widen in shock. "The dragon," he hisses. "It is not with you?"

"The dragon was lost when my eldest died in the Armada's attack on Phoenix Bay," the patriarch of the Saito clan says coldly. "It passed to Phillip by accident. An error we shall soon rectify. Come, Phillip! Let this be the end of this nonsense. Prove you can stand on your own two feet. Or submit and cease this foolishness!"

Mages of all traditions and disciplines are pouring into the hall from every entrance, attracted by the commotion. There must be hundreds of them, of every ethnicity and nationality. Even several Lemurians are present.
Gelert wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:47 pm "You would not believe how often I get that reaction. Actually maybe you would." Gelert as he finishes up his healing. "My name is Gelert and its nice to meet you sir, despite the unfortunate circumstances."
Ibn Uthman and his retinue make a gesture of thanks. "Blessings be upon you, Gelert. I would repay you for your aid, but none, not even the High Master, are permitted to interfere with the challenges to become the Master Mage. Such a battle is between the contesting parties and their retinue alone.
OOC
You can accept or deny Reizo Saito's challenge.

If you accept then combat begins immediately, with no surprise round. if you deny, you are considered as not being in the running for Master Mage. If you intend to not accept, it's worth noting that the mages mention that the immediate duty of the Master Mage will be to recover the 4 Guardian spirits. 3 are held by Lucienne, yes, but Kisai holds the 4th.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Kisai

As his Father goes on, Philip's anger begins to climb again.

And then suddenly, it's gone. Oh, Grant. What could have been.

Philip chuckles a moment. "Do you know why I went away to college, Father? It wasn't to get away from you or the family. I wanted to study so I could help Grant. I wanted to master technology so it could be another tool for him to use. I wanted him to have a weapon that no magical enemy would be prepared for."

He pauses briefly. "I wanted to be his sidekick." He chuckles again at the thought.

"I didn't choose this. I never wanted this. The Dragon chose me. I'm sorry Seiryu didn't think you were the right person for this job. Maybe... it was a kindness. Gratitude for your lifetime of service and loss of your son, not to be dragged down into this quagmire. You earned your rest."

He chuckles. "I don't know."

"I don't want to fight you, Father. I will do what must be done to stop Lucienne."

Philip steps back and raises his cane. Then his eyes light up.

"Let's let Seiryu choose. I'll bring him forth and he can choose which of the two of us should represent him."

He moves over to Gelert and kneels down to pet him. As he does, Philip whispers, "Lucienne's agent will likely make a move. Be ready."

He looks back towards the others. This is risky, but its a fast way to draw out Lucienne's agent and end the feud with Father once and for all.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Nightbird
Outside the walls of Shambhala
Nightbird wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:30 am "I will do this!! I ... can ... do ...IT!!!"
OOC
Oops! You should actually be informed of the DC, so that you can decide whether to use HP. In this case the DC for the 1st check is exactly 20, so your 1st roll passes, and your HP for reroll is refunded.
At first, it seems like you won't make it, but with a renewed effort you squeeze through the bars and manage to enter the tower interior.

Under your feet flows the mountain stream that feeds the city crystal-clear alpine water. You see that after a short distance, it flows into some kind of underground cistern - a pool the size of an Olympic-sized swimming pool, supported by pillars, that must serve as some kind of water storage system. This must also be where those who dwell in the fortress come to obtain clean water, but it seems strangely deserted now. The pool is deep - from a quick observation, it must be more than a dozen feet deep, but you lack the senses or tools to measure exactly how deep. At the far end of the giant cistern, you see a small stairway, dimly lit with torches. There is no way to cross the cistern to the stairs except by swimming across it.

To your left, you also see another stairway that folllows the angular interior walls of the tower upwards into the fortress. This must have been used by guards defending the tower in whatever ancient age where Shambhala was actually used as a fortress. Soldiers could fire arrows or drop stones down from the guardhouse at the top, or attack down the stairs to clear out invaders, and the tower itself would be connected to the battlements and other towers to allow the defense to be swiftly reinforced.

You see faint beams of sunlight shining in from open windows at the very top of the tower, over 50 ft high. However, after listening carefully you don't hear any sounds of conversation or footsteps that might indicate the presence of guards inside the tower; you saw earlier that the battlements of Shambhala are not occupied right now, so this is expected.
OOC

You have 1 success, and 4 checks left to go.

You can swim across the cistern and attempt to reach the stairs at the far end. If you do this, make a DC 22 Athletics check or DC 25 Attack check. You will be attacked by a sleeping dragon at the bottom of the pool, but either out-swim it (Athletics) or force it to retreat (Attack).

Alternately, you can climb the stairs and attempt to reach the guardhouse at the top: make a DC 22 Acrobatics check. You can only take 10 if you have skill mastery. The stairs will retract into the walls, but you will be able to reach the top of the tower if you pass the check.
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird
HP: 4 > 5 LP: 1

Once again taking her time Imogen observed the room before moving forward silently to the side of the pool, reaching out with an ungloved hand she touched the water and to her complete (not) surprise it was cold, not so cold that she couldn't swim across the pool to the stairs on the far side but still cold enough.

Deciding that she didn't want to get wet so soon Imogen made her way to the nearby stairwell and started up the stairs.

As the stairs started to retract from under her feet Imogen picked up the pace bouncing from stair to stair even using the sides of the stairwell for extra purchase to get to the top.
OOC wrote: Thanks and while I was tempted to try to swim across the pool running up the stairs made more sense

Use Acrobatics Mastery +15 to take 10 for a +25 result.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

All (except Nightbird)

Kisai's father's eyes narrow in anger as he speaks. You can practically hear his grinding teeth and shaking fingers. Then, without warning, like a popping balloon, his fury turns to surprise.

"Sidekick? You wanted to--"
"I'm sorry Seiryu didn't think you were the right person for this job. Maybe... it was a kindness."
Immediately, the fury returns.

"Very well!" he spits. "Call forth the Dragon. We will see if you are truly chosen, as you claim."
OOC
Kisai can accept an optional Power Loss complication and lose the Dragon: gain 1 HP. You lose access to your Dragon Avatar container. Alternately, if you don't accept the complication, then the dragon stays with you.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Nightbird
Shambhala - central keep
OOC
You now have 2 successes, and there are 3 checks left to go.
You deftly spring for the air as the steps begin to retract into the walls, backflip off the opposite wall and land atop the landing at the end of the stairway like an Olympic gymnast.

The tower is connected, as expected, to the battlements of the inner and outer walls. The battlements are now deserted, and look like they have been for years, as the fortress-city has not faced any besieging army for centuries. You silently follow the battlements and enter the central, quadrangular keep that dominates the fortress.

You pass through a large room lined with shelves that hold uniform, little porcelain urns. Each urn has a small portrait before it, either drawn or photographed, along with names and years. With a chill, you realize that the urns hold the ashes of the cremated dead.

One particular urn catches your eye. The portrait is that of a woman with her head shaved bald. She looks like this:

Before you can investigate further, you notice the sound of footsteps. Except your sharp ears warn you that they are not human footsteps: they are Lemurian footsteps. From what you can tell, there are two of them, and they are speaking to each other in hisses and grunts that must be the Lemurian language. Unfortunately, you can't understand their speech, but the purposeful manner of their walking suggests they are not merely passing through and are actively looking for something... or someone.
OOC
You can evade the Lemurian Overmages x2 by making a DC 25 Stealth check.

Alternately, you can attempt to surprise them by passing both a DC 20 Initiative check and a DC 23 Attack check (both must be passed to obtain 1 success.)
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Kisai

Philip sighs as a sadness comes over him. "Very well, Father."

He had hoped it wouldn't come to this. Especially here and now. For this to happen in front of all these people... his father may not survive the humiliation.

Philip closes his eyes and places one hand on top of the other. He then pulls them apart and turns them over and repeats. Again and again, until a light starts to form along the ground in front of him. Looking closely, there are symbols appearing inside the light. Numbers and letters that Qora recognizes to be some sort of machine code, but not one she is familiar with.

The light expands into a large circle. Then there is a roar that the Champions are all too familiar with, Kisai's dragon. The dragon erupts from the light and then just hovers there. As usual, the Dragon's face is expressionless.

Except, Gelert recognizes the look of an animal annoyed. Seiryu does not appear to be pleased he was summoned here. He looks at Philip and then Reizo. For an instant, the displeasure is apparent on Seiryu's face.

"I'm sorry, Father," Philip says, his eyes still closed. On cue, Seiryu floats behind Philip, making his choice clear and apparent. He chose Philip when Grant died and he chooses him again today.
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird
HP: 5 > 4 LP: 1

Realising that she was in a memorial area or perhaps even a tomb, Imogen became even lighter on her feet if possible moving through the room like a wisp of smoke.

Glancing at the various portraits Imogen was surprised by the diversity of individuals displayed, male, female even snake people but was struck by the eyes of a bald woman whom pulled off the bald look making it look good.

Wondering just who the woman and the others were, Imogen hearing the sound of approaching footsteps and low voices quickly moved to the side of the room finding a spot above eye level where she became as still as a statue as she blended into the shadows.

OOC wrote: Taheka DC25 Stealth: 1d20+14 18
HP to reroll

Nightbird DC25 Stealth: 1d20+14 19 + 10 = 29
And pass
stavaros_the_arcane

kenseido wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:21 am Kisai

He moves over to Gelert and kneels down to pet him. As he does, Philip whispers, "Lucienne's agent will likely make a move. Be ready."

He looks back towards the others. This is risky, but its a fast way to draw out Lucienne's agent and end the feud with Father once and for all.
Gelert nods, ready to have Philip's back and protect the magical dragon if it came down to it.
Ysariel wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:01 pm All (except Nightbird)

Kisai's father's eyes narrow in anger as he speaks. You can practically hear his grinding teeth and shaking fingers. Then, without warning, like a popping balloon, his fury turns to surprise.

"Sidekick? You wanted to--"
"I'm sorry Seiryu didn't think you were the right person for this job. Maybe... it was a kindness."
Immediately, the fury returns.

"Very well!" he spits. "Call forth the Dragon. We will see if you are truly chosen, as you claim."
OOC
Kisai can accept an optional Power Loss complication and lose the Dragon: gain 1 HP. You lose access to your Dragon Avatar container. Alternately, if you don't accept the complication, then the dragon stays with you.
"Oh he mad..." Gelert quietly comments.
kenseido wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:58 am Kisai
Except, Gelert recognizes the look of an animal annoyed. Seiryu does not appear to be pleased he was summoned here. He looks at Philip and then Reizo. For an instant, the displeasure is apparent on Seiryu's face.

"I'm sorry, Father," Philip says, his eyes still closed. On cue, Seiryu floats behind Philip, making his choice clear and apparent. He chose Philip when Grant died and he chooses him again today.
Gelert gives the annoyed dragon a look as if to go 'I know. humans, am I right'.
"I think he's a little put out that he's being called up to answer questions he's already answered."