Adventures Assemble S3E3: The Great Brain Robbery!

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
kreuzritter

Re: Adventures Assemble S2E3: Call to Arms!

Post by kreuzritter »

Ysariel wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:49 pm Qora
Shambhala - Underground
Qora wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:35 pm"Ah," Qora says, "Precursor civilization or first contact gone wrong?"
"Both. Follow me."

He leads you, if you follow, down the ancient hallway. The air is cold and dry; the stone floor under you smooth and spotless like polished marble. As the High Master walks, glowing crystals light up one by one on the walls, illuminating murals thousands of years ago. You see images of a mighty civilization, towering ziggurats and sprawling temples rising from tropical rainforest, ruled over by serpent-men...

"Once upon a time, saurian life reiged supreme upon this planet. The Lemurian Empire achieved unparalleled heights in culture, sorcery, science and philosophy. But the Empire grew decadent, content to stagnate in its mastery of the world."

Another image is illuminated. Strange stars appearing in the sky, evoking wonder and terror from the masses below. Alien vessels of physics-defying size hover above the clouds. The ovoid ships bring humanoid figures to the planet, shaped like Venus figurines of titanic size, miles tall. You cannot help but notice the similarity to the image that Gelert saw of Pandora in the memory contained in his ring...

"Were the gods displeased at our arrogance? Did they see fit to bestow upon us punishment? From outer space came the Preservers, deiform servitors of ancient star gods. They ignored our every prayer and supplication, and raised up humanity from the great apes. They gave unto humankind the fruit of life."

You walk into view of a third mural. Lemurians, directing humans in fields, reading to them from tomes, showing them geometric shapes: the Fruit of Knowledge...

"Despite the Preservers' favor, humans were feeble in body, mind and spirit, short-lived and stupid. We looked upon them with the compassion of superiors, and taught them all we knew."

You see two cities depicted on the fourth mural. One is the paradisal civilization in the lush rainforest, home to the serpent empire of Lemuria. Another rises from the middle of the ocean, jagged spires and battlements ready for war. Countless legions march forth from both to join an apocalyptic war...

"But for all the things humanity lacks, it wants not for greed, ambition and hatred. The hominid empire of Atlantis grew mighty on our knowledge. It craved more, and what we would not give, they would take by force. The war that followed ended that beautiful, glorious age forever."

The fifth mural is incomplete, consisting of only crude sketches, the worksmanship and detail far inferior to the previous four. Fire rains from the skies, oceans boil, mountains crumble, and the great rainforests turn to ash...

"My people were destroyed. Many survivors fell into barbarism and degeneracy, becoming little more than beasts. Some hid underground, selling themselves to eldritch powers and forgotten gods for the strength to do so. And we... we came to Shambhala."

The High Master turns to you.

"We came to forge a peace. To try and forgive the bitterness of the terrible injustice done to us. To try and teach humanity to correct its errant ways. The last time I tried was decades ago. When Shambhala last opened its gates, and sent forth its wise men and women to a world on the brink of nuclear warfare. But the leaders of the human nations were deaf to our pleas for a world of compassion and justice. They one by one allowed themselves to fall under Lucienne's influence. I have lost my faith in human champions."

He slumps against the wall. For the first time, you see the terrible weight of ages that he bears, and he is utterly exhausted.
Qora sits down next to him, hesitantly putting a comforting hand on his shoulder

"I am not sure what I can say," she admits, "Nor can I imagine your experiences. You have fought a long war, and with scarce allies. What I can offer is this thing Gelert is fond of quoting: 'Look for the helpers.' Those who in a crisis, commit to the idea that "I will help, today." and aid those in need. they never seem like much, because they do not boast or bray like those so wrapped in their own vanity, the people, not those in power, who want to prevent inevitable change for as long as possible. But year after year, there are those who came to Shamballa, to learn your ways, and people like your son learn from what missteps you make, as you've learned from those of your ancestors. Lucinne seeks to master the present, but no one commands the future.

"When I was younger, away from home and learning, I heard from a dying man, of a philosophy known as the Great Game. they believe that there is a simplicity to existence, that the night sky is simply an.. immense game board. there is the great black, the void, and strewn across it, small and surrounded and vulnerable, yet brave all the same, is the great white. I asked him about the supernovae, that even stars wither, die and burn out, did this mean, with those lights so tiny and scattered, that life was losing? and this dying man, whom some civilizations literally revere as gods, looked at me with kindness and replied 'no. once there was only black. we are winning.'. I never quite got that, until I spent some time with an adherent of The Blue. They say that the light is not the stars themselves, but every life that goes on about them, and that where there is life, there is hope. Master, you are as you say, so very tired. You have fought the good fight, and can undoubtedly carry on, but not forever. You have no faith in humans, well, from what I have heard, that is quite all right. I do not ask you to put your faith in us. I ask you to put your faith in your son, and his belief that we can topple Lucienne's false light."
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Several hours ago...
Flagship Island

The maximum-security cell of the ship's brig was once home to Lord Steel's prisoners; now it houses one S.P.E.C.T.R.U.M. agent. Iron gears grind, pistons hiss and a resounding CLANG shatters the night as the gate slams open.

Amethyst stands, silhouetted against the light beyond: feet apart, one hand on the opened gate. Before her, a rectangle of light falls on Shrinking Violet, spreadeagled and bound by a quartet of metal chains in the middle of the cell.

The Illuminati agent does not raise her head. "Have you come to gloat, or make some joke offer of a good word on my behalf in exchange for coming over to your side?"

"No. You guys only understand power, so that's the language I'll speak with you. The Champions are going to destroy Lucy and everything she owns. You've one chance to ditch that ship before I torpedo it."

Shrinking Violet laughs.

"You know nothing about power, Michelle Hong. You grew up in comfort and privilege. You're the kid of lecturers who slaved to send you to Stanford, and a brother who gave up his college fund to hire the private tutors your genius demanded. Then you dropped out to start a company selling overpriced consumer gizmos, until - oops! Your brother went and got himself killed by aliens while you watched, helpless and useless. You can barely fight without that ridiculous suit of yours. A machine does your fighting for you, Michelle."

"Save the bravado, Violet. You did your own fighting, and look where it got your sorry ass. I'm protected by my dearest friend, and you're utterly alone." Amethyst leans against the door frame and folds her arms. "Are you sure Lucy hasn't abandoned you? Left you to rot in prison now that you're no longer useful? What keeps you loyal to her?"

"You want to know?" Sudden anger. A flash of white-hot fury in the eyes. "You want to know why? I'll show you." 

The grotesque sound of flesh warping and shifting, something straight out of a horror movie or an abattoir, fills the room. Then, silence.

"You're Grue," Amethyst says at last, lowering the blaster pistol in her hand.

"Half-Grue. The offspring of extraterrestrial infiltrators with human parents in an attempt to breed more of their kind and take over the world. Thanks to their polymorphic cells, I'm neither male nor female, neither human nor alien. This world treats me as a freak; people hated and feared me even as a child. Lucienne was the only one who saw past all that to the gift I had." She/he laughs bitterly. "You wouldn't understand any of this, would you, Michelle?"

"I understand way more than you think. I never had a normal childhood. I grew up surrounded by professors and tutors and people way older than me, and I never learned to get along with girls my age. I never learned to play the stupid games women play with each other."

"They hated me for it. They took every chance they could to make my life hell. Even the people who claimed to represent me, to fight for my rights, instead shamed, mocked and humiliated me at every turn. I didn't look, dress, think or behave how they thought one of their own should, you see. I didn't fit into the neat little box they labelled good, so by definition I was evil."

Amethyst places a hand over her chest. "Listen. What society - humanity - did to you was wrong. But I know how oppressors and tyrants work. They'll gladly pretend to stand for our rights and wave the banner of justice. They brand anyone who disagrees with them as counter-revolutionaries, anti-fascists, enemies of the people, enemies of the state, race traitors. They teach us to be victims and to embrace our victimhood, since that makes us dependent on them. And before we know it, they rule us. Lucy doesn't care about justice or anti-alien prejudice. She cares about herself." She pauses. "You don't have to throw in your lot with her. Come with us. We can change the world together."

Shrinking Violet laughs bitterly. "You're a superhero, Michelle. Your job is literally to maintain the status quo. Don't talk to me about change."

"You're fighting for the Illuminati, an ancient conspiracy that's ruled the world since the dawn of time. Who do you think made that status quo in the first place?"

"Lucienne has power. Power to destroy the corrupt, despicable old world order and remake it --"

"You're letting her use your hurt as a leash --"

"We're using each other, Michelle. I'll pay any cost if it means this shithole of a world goes down in flames."

Amethyst is silent for a while. Then she says:

"I hoped you still had a moral core. That somewhere in your rotten shell, there might still be a decent person. There isn't."

She slams the door shut. There is no more color, only blackness.

As she walks through the ship's darkened passageway, Amethyst feels a rising anger inside her. A terrible fury, white-hot, fierce and free.

Apparitions of her past confront her as she walks through the darkness. The girl who sat sobbing in darkness as her brother died saving her employees. The girl who walked down the university hallway to jeers of "whore" and "slut" and "Hey Michelle, are you sure your huge udders aren't fake?" She sees herself standing before her board of directors as they moralize to her about her sexualized public image. She sees how Lucienne allowed her to think she was running her own company, in charge of her destiny, when she was being puppeteered all along to develop the technologies the Illuminati wanted. And she is royally pissed off.

With all her vast talent and powers, how could she have allowed any of this to happen? How had she stood by, meekly allowing herself to be pushed around, victimized and humiliated at every turn, her loved ones threatened and used as bargaining chips? No more. Never again.

"I won't let her get her hands on you, Amy," she whispers.

"Michelle..."

Her anger is cleansing, joyous, bright and pure. Her anger sets her free. Amethyst sheds the last vestiges of the girl who used to be called Michelle Hong, and turns her back on the past forever.

The door glides open and she enters the ship's bridge, the armored boots of her purple-and-pink battlesuit thumping heavily on the deck plating. "How're you doing, Mr. Eldritch?" she asks.

"Better," says the Master Mage. He is sitting on the communication officer's chair. "The light of Lucienne's all-seeing eye shines less brightly on me now."

Amethyst stops. "Your power is what's holding Lucy in check, right?" He nods.

"If she's not fighting you, maybe she's saving her strength for something else. For Shambhala."

Adrian Eldritch's mouth hardens into a grim line.

"Let's make our own move before she can strike." Amethyst gestures, and her suit's holo-systems project a 3-dimensional model of Pyramid Plaza. "We'll bust into Illuminati headquarters, put out her fancy eye, and bring down Cooper once and for all."

Eldritch takes a deep breath and places his hands on his thighs. "The stronghold of the Illuminati will be extremely heavily defended. Lucienne will have all manner of strange and dangerous powers in there. We'll need every ounce of strength in order to survive."

"Yeah. That's why I'm calling in some old friends and gathering help, starting with you." Amethyst turns to Beatrice. "Ready to bring down your ex-bosses?"

The undercover AEGIS agent, also Cooper's former PA, stands and checks her sidearm. "I thought you would never utter those words, Michelle."

"It's Amethyst."
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Qora
Shambhala - Underground

The High Master listens to your words in silence. At length he sighs, a long, wheezing hiss. "I am amazed how you remain hopeful, even as someone who came from beyond the stars to live among humanity. Is it is the influence of the Guardian of Hope with you?"

"And you. She has asked me to place my faith in you; what do you think?" he turns to Zhang.

Zhang hurries to his father's side. "Father, I know there is great evil among humankind. I have seen many evil men and women myself - a handful attacked me in Kathamadu. But I have also seen noble and kind souls among the humans. Father, if there is to be an end, if this is to be a reckoning, let Lemurians and hominids stand together for once. Even if not all our race can be at peace, let those few who have listened to your teachings join hands. Father, please!"

The High Master is silent for a long moment. It is not easy to struggle against a lifetime of disillusionment.

And then --

And then his eyes fly open. "No," hisses the High Master. "I allowed my resolve to falter. She sensed my weakness... she is poised to strike us. Lucienne!"

You don't see or hear anything. You are so deep underground that even your superhuman vision does not see all the way to the surface, and you cannot hear or feel anything untoward. However, you judge that the alarm in the High Master's eyes is real.

He grabs hold of your hand. "You must rally the human mages. Lead them in defense. I will see to Shambhala's wards and strengthen them."

"Father?" Zhang asks.

"Take your human friend and seek shelter in the fortress. Do not come out until the battle is over. Go. Go!"

OOC

You can return to the surface (no check). Alternately, you can insist to accompany the High Master with a successful DC 25 Persuasion check.

You can also do anything else you judge reasonable.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Kisai, Gelert & Moonlight
Shambhala - Hall of Divine Harmony
"Is this how a former chosen of the Dragon acts? You fought on Seiryu's behalf for decades. Have you forgotten what it feels like to be a guardian?"
"No. No, I have not." Father says.

He reaches out with one hand to stroke Kisai's cheek. "I should have known how alike you and Grant were. Young men, brave and headstrong, who cannot be dissuaded from danger or heroism. I should've known my every attempt to take the dragon from you would only encourage you."

"Do you know what kind of magic binds one of earth's greatest kami to a bloodline for eternity? Our ancestors, to prove their virtue to Seiryu, made an inviolable pact of blood. Each noble hero to fully awaken the dragon's power would accomplish their great deeds, and be fated to die in battle, ensuring they could not become a tyrant-sorceror in time and threaten the very peoples they fought to save. The price for Seiryu's power... is death!"

"Grant was told of this, and he willingly accepted this fate in order to fight Lucienne. But before he could fulfill his destiny, he was killed by the Armada. When the dragon appeared in your hands, I understood what this meant. The great deed was yet to be done, and Seiryu had sought out the next candidate. You inherited his mission and his fate: to battle Lucienne, triumph and die."

Tears fill his eyes. "I have already sent one son to the grave; I cannot bury another. That is why I tried to take the dragon from you: so that I could bear Grant's terrible destiny in your stead. I tried to discourage you, to intimidate you from pursuing this path. I even sent assassins after you - assassins I knew you would easily dispatch, meant to put the idea of death in your mind. But all my foolish efforts have failed. My time has passed, and the dragon has chosen you instead."

"Master!" "Milord!" a chorus of alarmed cries rises from Father's bodyguards as he rises, then gets to his knees and bows before Kisai.

"I beg of you," he says. "Reject your destiny. Turn away from this battle. Chose life over death. You are the last Saito heir."

Rainbow light shines through the doors and windows of the hall. The assembled mages look up in terror and wonder, and cries of shock ring out in the great hall. Lucienne is exerting her power against Shambhala.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Moonlight

Aranel was glad she had heeded her mother's lesson and held her tongue, Kisai's father was a lot more complex individual than she previously thought. "But wouldn't Seiryu be able to sense the content of his current wielder's heart? To know if they would be tempted to wield his power in such a way or if the individual's noble spirit could resist and continue to be a defender until their final days? Mayhaps after this current crisis has passed we can ask him ourselves to learn the truth of this bargain your ancestor made, the meaning may have gotten twisted over the ages like a game of telephone which I've heard of."
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Nightbird
Shambhala - central keep

Barely a minute has passed since the apparition spoke to you when the attack begins.

The light of the sun seems to dim, and in its place you see a strange multicolored glow in the sky, like Northern Lights, but far more sinister. You recognize at once the rainbow light that is the hallmark of Lucienne's power. Moments later, triangular portals of light appear on the snowy slopes surrounding Shambhala in all directions.

From within the portals pour the army that vanished from under the nose of the U.S. government over half a century ago: the Super-Powered Elite Corps for Tactical, Reconnaissance and Undercover Missions, formed to illegally marshal U.S. superhuman talent nominally in service to the government, but in truth to Lucienne's ambitions. There are thousands of men in black Western suits, each of them eerily like the other. Strange, futuristic tanks emerge from the larger portals, leaving no tracks on the pristine snow. Superhumans in bodysuits, fitted with mind-control collars or neurosuppressive drug systems, fly or run out onto the field. Portals appear in mid-air to disgorge black helicopters and advanced jet fighters. Their stealth engines fill the air with an eerie hum as they overfly the fortress-city.

You are not certain how Lucienne is able to do this, as Shambhala is supposed to be protected by impregnable magical wards. Either her power is far greater than anyone anticipated, or there is some chink in the wards that can be exploited. Or... there is sabotage.

OOC

None of the portals are within the city proper; they surround the city in a ring at a distance of approximately 300-400 yards. However, the aircraft seem able to fly over the city without issue. No weapons have been fired yet, and you are not in combat.

You can continue to observe the invading forces (no check).

You can hurry back to the Hall of Divine Harmony to join the other heroes (no check).

Alternately, you can try to track down the Lemurians you saw passing by your way earlier and either see where they are going, or question them. You do not have Expertise: Survival, and you are not in a suitable environment where your Expertise: Streetwise would count, so this is just an unmodified Awareness check.
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

Ysariel wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:16 pm Qora
Shambhala - Underground

The High Master listens to your words in silence. At length he sighs, a long, wheezing hiss. "I am amazed how you remain hopeful, even as someone who came from beyond the stars to live among humanity. Is it is the influence of the Guardian of Hope with you?"
"maybe, but In one night, my father's people went from beasts of burden to rebellion, breaking free from the mightiest of star empires and, and not 5 years later, found themselves a home. And we owe that to human friends made by Kron the Invincible."

"
And you. She has asked me to place my faith in you; what do you think?" he turns to Zhang.

Zhang hurries to his father's side. "Father, I know there is great evil among humankind. I have seen many evil men and women myself - a handful attacked me in Kathamadu. But I have also seen noble and kind souls among the humans. Father, if there is to be an end, if this is to be a reckoning, let Lemurians and hominids stand together for once. Even if not all our race can be at peace, let those few who have listened to your teachings join hands. Father, please!"

The High Master is silent for a long moment. It is not easy to struggle against a lifetime of disillusionment.

And then --

And then his eyes fly open. "No," hisses the High Master. "I allowed my resolve to falter. She sensed my weakness... she is poised to strike us. Lucienne!"

You don't see or hear anything. You are so deep underground that even your superhuman vision does not see all the way to the surface, and you cannot hear or feel anything untoward. However, you judge that the alarm in the High Master's eyes is real.

He grabs hold of your hand. "You must rally the human mages. Lead them in defense. I will see to Shambhala's wards and strengthen them."

"Father?" Zhang asks.

"Take your human friend and seek shelter in the fortress. Do not come out until the battle is over. Go. Go!"
persuasion: 1d20+8 28

"if Lucienne is as canny and corrupting a foe as you say," Qora says, nodding to Zhang and Simon to be careful n their flight, "She is probably counting on you to attend the wards, and has her assassins in waiting. I will go with you as protection.
Last edited by kreuzritter on Sat May 02, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Kisai

Hearing his Father's words give Philip a long pause. Had he really misjudged him all this time? He never really sensed malice in Father's intentions, but he never dreamed this was the reason.

"Father, I can't reject my destiny. I was raised too well for that. And I would never trade your life for mine. It is my honor to serve as Seiryu's avatar and follow in my brother's footsteps."

Philip bends down and lifts his father up.

"Seiryu has a plan. I do not know what it is, but I trust him. Lucienne will not be my end, nor will the Incarnate of War. I have something that none of the other Saito's had... a second family. We will defeat them." He looks down at Gelert and then to Moonlight.

"Together."
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird
HP: 6 > 5 LP: 1
Condition: Normal

The words of the spirit kept resonating in her head, faith will win this battle not fists. It was hard for Imogen to digest the message yet the presence of the spirit left her with no doubt that the spirit believed what she was saying and those images from the future, snakes and humans need to work together to succeed.

Who would have thought the fruit of knowledge was handed by a Lemurian so does that mean the Lemurians are actually the ... Imogen gave herself the equivalent of a mental slap ... nothing would be gained from spiraling down that rabbit hole and knowing what she knew now with time travel, Lord Steel and all that who knew what had been changed or twisted over time.

The appearance of Lucienne's invasion force couldn't be missed, it was impressive, overwhelming and yet according to the previous High Master shouldn't be possible. Looking closer Imogen noticed that the portals were some distance from the city, maybe outside the city wards or maybe it was a very detailed illusion, scare people into surrendering because it appears they have no chance whatsoever.

Or another possibility, treachery if someone is working from the inside then it makes things very easy for Lucienne. Thinking back Imogen recalled the Lemuirans that she had hide from just before, they seemed to be acting strangely, maybe she was reading too much into it but she needed to be certain.

Tapping her commlink Imogen quickly explained in a lowered voice what she was seeing, numbers of soldiers, weapons, vehicles before adding "Looks like Lucienne is making her move, all the portals seem to be some distance from the city. Maybe they are waiting for the wards to fall otherwise they would already be in the city. I am going to check out something. Be alert for treachery."

With that Imogen headed in the same direction the Lemurians had.

Nightbird Awareness: 1d20+3 14
HP to reroll

Nightbird Awareness: 1d20+3 6 + 10 = 16 :D
Edit: Being more specific about what Nightbird was saying about the enemy forces as wasn't too clear beforehand
Last edited by Gilliam on Sun May 03, 2020 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Kisai

Kisai immediately shifts back into hero mode when the light show begins and his comm activates hearing Nightbird.

"If it's a group of Lemurians, proceed with extreme prejudice. They were here earlier acting suspicious," Philip says into the commlink.

He turns to the others.

"Let's join her so Shambhala can be at full strength against Lucy."
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Nightbird...
Shambhala - Central Keep > Palace of Heavenly Virtue

You retrace your steps and search for the two Lemurians. Killpatrick once taught you the art of hunting down fleeing criminals - the skills to see their tracks in everything from a beer can crushed underfoot to footprints in muddy back alleys. But you are primarily familiar with modern cities and to apply those skills in the ancient fortress of Shambhala strains your abilities to their limit.

At length you determine that the two Lemurians at some point gave up searching for you and headed upwards. This greatly simplifies your job, since now you have them cornered. You ascend the stairway leading to the highest level of the fortress of Shambhala, and as you do, the sound of their hissing voices tells you that you've found your mark. You stumble upon the following scene:

...and Qora
Shambhala - Underground > Palace of Heavenly Virtue
"if Lucienne is as canny and corrupting a foe as you say," Qora says, nodding to Zhang and Simon to be careful n their flight, "She is probably counting on you to attend the wards, and has her assassins in waiting. I will go with you as protection.
"The mighty wards of Shambhala are the city's true defenses. To allow an outsider to..." The High Master closes his eyes in thought, then shakes his head. "No, it matters not anymore. You have had ample opportunity for mischief already, yet you have given me no reason to distrust you so far. If you wish to come, daughter of Kron, you are welcome."

As Zhang and Simon scurry off to find shelter, you and the High Master leave, leading from the deepest dungeon to the tallest tower. The High Master leads you all the way to the very top of the mighty Dzong fortress's central keep: a great pavillion some 200 by 100 yards in dimension, sheltered by an ornate roof of porcelain tile, supported by pillars the girth of tree trunks, 108 in total. There is no furniture here, nor any items or devices, but inscribed on the floor and the pillars are ancient and immensely complex patterns of verses in Sanskrit and more ancient laguages.

The lack of walls here gives you your first view of Lucienne's invasion force. There are hundreds of portals the shape of equilateral triangles, some just tall enough for a grown human to step through, others large enough for tanks and aircraft to pass. Some hang in mid-air, disgorging black helicopters and advanced stealth aircraft, while others surround Shambhala, pouring forth legions of Men in Black.

The High Master steps forth and the inscribed verses on the floor and pillar light up and glow in a network of warm golden light. But the glowing area is only a small fraction of the pavilion - looking like a spider's ragged web with the High Master at its center. "The wards are weakened," the High Master hisses, his forked tongue tasting the crisp air, "and I smell treachery."

A dozen Lemurian mages in robes of brilliant gold and saffron emerge from behind the pillars. They surround you and the High Master.

"What is the meaning of this?!" he demands.

"The time has come, Master!" hisses one of the Lemurians. "We have undone the wards so that the Lightbringer might assault the city. The human wizard, Kisai, will be forced to confront her, and once he is dead we may reclaim the sacred dragon!"

The High Master is apoplectic. "You would endanger all who are present - the Akashic Library itself - for this?!" he thunders, hands high over his head.

"Master, we saw the disgust in your eyes when Seiryu sided with the human wizard. We have never forgotten how the house of Saito stole Seiryu from us with their foul sorcery centuries ago. Today this injustice will be rectified!"

"Fools! Fools one and all! Whatever the ancestors of Saito did, the Lightbringer is the greater threat in the here and now. You have lost the clutch to save but a single egg!"

"The High Master is not himself," one of the Lemurians says, brandishing a jeweled staff at you. "A Lemurian would never approve of a human wielding the power of the saurian guardian deity. These foul outsiders have warped his mind!"

In that split second, Nightbird sees her opportunity to strike.

OOC
Nightbird's successful check grants both herself and Qora a surprise attack during which they both have a standard action to take. They both start in light cover within Close range of the Arch-Sorcerors.

The 12 Arch-Sorcerors fight as a single entity using mass combat rules. They suffer +2 DC from Takedown attack and +5 DC from area attacks. Beware, due to their centuries of experience and mastery of ancient magicks, they are extremely high PL and versatile for a mass combat unit.

Surprise round
-- Nightbird *
22 Qora
18 Lemurian Arch-Sorcerors (squad)
-- High Master Szzarvak

Nightbird is up!
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

kenseido wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:53 pm Kisai

Kisai immediately shifts back into hero mode when the light show begins and his comm activates hearing Nightbird.

"If it's a group of Lemurians, proceed with extreme prejudice. They were here earlier acting suspicious," Philip says into the commlink.

He turns to the others.

"Let's join her so Shambhala can be at full strength against Lucy."
Gelert gives Kisai a look, the man has just had a lot of emotional baggage thrown at him at once. When there was time they'd have to sit down to talk through this development.

But for now, they had a city to save and a crisis to avert.

"Right. Lets go."
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird
HP: 5 > 4 LP: 1
Condition: Normal

Finding the only route the Lemurians could have taken, Imogen headed up the stairs still making no more noise than a cat.
A dozen Lemurian mages in robes of brilliant gold and saffron emerge from behind the pillars. They surround you and the High Master.

"What is the meaning of this?!" he demands.

"The time has come, Master!" hisses one of the Lemurians. "We have undone the wards so that the Lightbringer might assault the city. The human wizard, Kisai, will be forced to confront her, and once he is dead we may reclaim the sacred dragon!"

The High Master is apoplectic. "You would endanger all who are present - the Akashic Library itself - for this?!" he thunders, hands high over his head.

"Master, we saw the disgust in your eyes when Seiryu sided with the human wizard. We have never forgotten how the house of Saito stole Seiryu from us with their foul sorcery centuries ago. Today this injustice will be rectified!"

"Fools! Fools one and all! Whatever the ancestors of Saito did, the Lightbringer is the greater threat in the here and now. You have lost the clutch to save but a single egg!"

"The High Master is not himself," one of the Lemurians says, brandishing a jeweled staff at you. "A Lemurian would never approve of a human wielding the power of the saurian guardian deity. These foul outsiders have warped his mind!"
Seeing her opportunity Imogen erupted from the shadows, her kicks and punches intending to disable and stun her opponents, a punch to a throat, a kick to the knee joint, a foot stomp on a tail.

Nightbird will use Stunning Attack (Affliction 8 resisted by Fortitude: Daze/Stun/Incapaciated) along with Takedown Attack 2

Nightbird Stunning Attack: 1d20+14 17
HP to reroll

Nightbird Stunning Attack: 1d20+14 32
DC25 Fortitude Save (including Takedown bonus)
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Kisai, Gelert & Moonlight
Shambhala - Hall of Divine Harmony
Psistrike wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:49 pm"But wouldn't Seiryu be able to sense the content of his current wielder's heart? To know if they would be tempted to wield his power in such a way or if the individual's noble spirit could resist and continue to be a defender until their final days? Mayhaps after this current crisis has passed we can ask him ourselves to learn the truth of this bargain your ancestor made, the meaning may have gotten twisted over the ages like a game of telephone which I've heard of."
Kisai's father shakes his head sadly. "That is certainly within the kami's power. But... this is not a matter of any one individual's trustworthiness. The ancestors of Saito sought to establish a lineage of guardians that would protect humanity into the distant future."

"It was to prove their bloodline's worthiness to be the dragon's champion and wield its power that they made their terrible sacrifice. Only such oaths written in blood are worthy of the inviolable contract between mortals and the greatest of kami. Had they not made the promise, none would have been granted the power - however pure."
kenseido wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:00 am "Seiryu has a plan. I do not know what it is, but I trust him. Lucienne will not be my end, nor will the Incarnate of War. I have something that none of the other Saito's had... a second family. We will defeat them."
Kisai senses the approval of the dragon. A powerful clarity fills you, like the breeze after the fresh spring rain. You don't know what fate the dragon sees for you, but you do know that you are on the right path."

Father shakes his head. "My son, there is no escape from destiny. With this, then, you have chosen death. And I will not bury another son."

He rises to his feet. But there is no more anger, only a kind of quiet resignation.

"In that case, let us die side by side. Let us face the end together, and leave behind a legacy worthy of the name Saito." He turns to his retainers. "You are all released from my service. Go. Find what refuge you may before the end."

"Lord," says one of the samurai, "we have served you for years - decades in some cases - out of devotion to the ancient ideals of the Saito line. We will not be known as traitors in the final hour. We stand by you to the bitter end." He looks at Kisai. "No hard feelings."

Outside, the rainbow light of Lucienne's portals continue to glow as dozens of black helicopters overfly the ancient city. The choppers deploy not bombs or guns (at least not for now), but powerful loudhailers, and from them booms Lucienne's voice:

"Wise magi of Shambhala, today all the world stands on a precipice. Soon, the Incarnate of War will descend upon this planet and reduce all life upon it to cinders. Against this terrible force, only one weapon will suffice: the ancient spells in the Akashic Library."

"Already, I possess three of Earth's mightiest guardian spirits. The failure of their keepers is testament to their unworthiness; I alone am fit to stand against War Incarnate. Submit to me, wise ones, and elect me Master Mage. Yield up the last guardian and open the gates. Vast are the blessings that await those who bend their knee to the Bringer of Light."

Slowly, the magi in the hall crowd around you. The three of you, an elf, a mortal man, and a talking dog, suddenly find yourselves the center of attention.

"A column of the Lightbringer's infernal machines is advancing up the road to the city, and her flying contraptions fill the air. No doubt once we refuse, she will destroy the gates and attempt to slaughter all who resist," hisses one of the wizards.

"Can she be overcome?" the wizened old lady who had accompanied the High Master to meet you asks. "And even if she can, then how about the Incarnate?"
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Kisai

Philip places his hand on his father's shoulder and nods. Maybe he is fated to die, but he will do it on his terms.

He nods to the samurai as well.

"One disaster at a time, please," he says to the old woman.

"Okay, first priority is to get the wards protecting Shambhala up asap. We need to find the High Master and the others. There were some other Lemurians looking suspicious, and they need to be stopped.

He turns to his father. "Can you put coordinate the people here to put up a temporary barrier while we deal with restoring the wards? Every second you buy us will be worth its weight in mithral."