Adventures Assemble S3E3: The Great Brain Robbery!

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Ysariel

Re: Adventures Assemble S2E3: Call to Arms!

Post by Ysariel »

All
Shambhala, the Golden City
Kisai wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:35 am"They are my entourage. They are here to witness my crowning as the next Master Mage."
"You?!"

A single sharp hiss, a flare of nostrils and tongue. The High Master had already turned back towards the city and now he whirls back round to face Kisai, eyes wide, forked tongue probing the air. Behind him, the others exchange surprised looks.

The High Master points a scaly finger at all of you, but especially at Kisai. "On what merit do you lay claim to the mantle of the Master Mage and the Akashic Library?"

"But Father," Zhang blurts out in horror. "Surely there is no harm in allowing him to try? Kisai and his friends are noble souls. If they think themselves equal to meet the threat of the Lightbringer, why not let them prove their worth?"

The High Master raises both arms in a furious rage. "Fool! Have these outsiders addled you with novelty? Are we to turn this sacred ritual into some gladiatorial sport? Offering up the seat of Master Mage as a prize for all to contest? Those who are presenting themselves here today are among the most honored names among the magical community. I will not permit any outsider to stake their claim on a whim and make a mockery of our traditions."

The Taoist priest murmurs. "High Master, he is the remaining Saito heir. Perhaps..."

"Then let him contest under his father's banner. Else I forbid it." The Lemurian High Master turns to you and spreads a clawed hand. "Enter as guests; or leave, as enemies. Choose as you wish before the gates close."

Accompanied by the four mages, he turns and heads back towards the city. Zhang can only stand there in shock.
OOC
You can enter the city unopposed. However, if anyone defends Kisai's right to contest the election for the Master Mage, the High Master confronts you again: in that case, pause after any checks you want to make, and wait for my response.

Kisai can show the High Master the dragon, Seiryu, by using his powers (no check needed, as you are essentially taking 10).

You can also make interaction skill checks, however note that the High Master's attitude to you is Hostile (the other mages are Neutral and Zhang is Friendly).

You can also do whatever else you consider reasonable.
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

Qora
intimidation: 1d20+12 30
"It was by Master Kisai's wisdom we vanquished the Dreamer in Darkness, not only banishing it, but destroying one of the four ruinous powers," Qora announces loudly. "But on behalf of Master Kisai, we accept your offer of hospitality and our responsibilities as guest, just as you are now bound by those same rules."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Kisai

"I..." Kisai says loudly before anyone leaves.

"am the mage who saved this world from Lord Steel's Iron Curtain. While all of you hid away, desperately clinging to your dwindling powers, I went into the storm and defeated it at its source. Lord Steel was your destroyer. He had destroyed you once before and now you all owe your lives to ME!"

Kisai makes a mental note to apologize to the others for taking full credit. He is sure they understand, but it's still something he should do.

"Now let's move past this farce so the Guardians can name me by my rightful title and you all can go back to hiding from the real threats to this world!"

This was literally everything he hated about the magical community. The ridiculous arrogance, the vile and petty power games. Everything they did was to further their own pathetic egos. Any thoughts of 'benefit of the doubt' was wiped away by their stupid posturing. He is ready to burn this whole temple down with everyone in it right now.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

All
Qora wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:13 pm "It was by Master Kisai's wisdom we vanquished the Dreamer in Darkness, not only banishing it, but destroying one of the four ruinous powers," Qora announces loudly. "But on behalf of Master Kisai, we accept your offer of hospitality and our responsibilities as guest, just as you are now bound by those same rules."
Kisai wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:20 pm "I..." Kisai says loudly before anyone leaves.

"am the mage who saved this world from Lord Steel's Iron Curtain. While all of you hid away, desperately clinging to your dwindling powers, I went into the storm and defeated it at its source. Lord Steel was your destroyer. He had destroyed you once before and now you all owe your lives to ME!"
At this the wise and revered mages exchange looks.

"That is not a claim to be made lightly, warrior," says the dark-skinned shaman at last. "Adrian Eldritch --" he almost spits the name -- "struggled against that power and the Cult of the Endbringer for decades. So did we, and your predecessor heroes. If you have truly destroyed the Dreamer in the Dark, you have accomplished in a single blow something none of us have come close to achieving."

The old crone in the dark gown and wide-brimmed hat strokes her chin skeptically. "There are rumors of what happened in some undersea gaol, and the Cult has indeed been abnormally quiescent since then... But to destroy and not merely banish one of the ruinous powers, is such a thing possible?"

The Taoist priest leans close to the sorceress in red. "What is the young man babbling about?" he whispers.

The woman shrugs in response. "It's about Lord Steel, who came from a future where he already conquered the world. I personally consider it preposterous... if he conquered the world once, surely he could do it a second time?"
The High Master resists Qora's Intimidate attempt with Insight.
1d20+14: 31 [1d20=17]
Close but he passes
The High Master steps forward. "I believe you all had part in such deeds. I wonder why you are so eager to credit them to master Kisai alone." His eyes gleam with alien cunning and wisdom, and you sense the cruel intelligence of a mind that has plotted and schemed and waited for centuries. "Perhaps you are desperate to contest the election, and seek to raise up some candidate worthy of the part, by any means necessary. The words of such desperate men and women cannot be trusted."

He turns to his fellow mages. "It is in the nature of heroes to be arrogant, to believe that they alone are capable of righting the world's wrongs with their rash and brutish action. Need I remind you of the folly of Kilpatrick and White Rose, who left believing they could root out the evils of this world, without care for whether they would bring the nuclear arsenal of the PLA down on us? Where are they now? Dead and lost, as befits errants of their like."

The High Master levels a clawed finger at Kisai. "You are welcome to the hospitality of Shambhala. But I will not permit the interference of outsiders on matters of such import. Stay out of the election... or stay out."

You realize that the High Master is a formidable manipulator. He has not only cast doubt on your claims but pre-empted any accusations of arrogance against the wise of Shambhala.

The High Master turns to ascend the steps to the city. As he does, he whispers to one of the other mages.
Gelert: Perception, Result of 23
As the High Master whispers you manage to hear what he says clearly:

"The wards must be strengthened against Lady Lucienne. I will see to them personally."
OOC
Kisai can show the High Master the dragon, Seiryu, by using his powers. As before, no check is needed.

Alternately, you can drop your demands of participating in the election, and enter Shambhala as guests.

Alternately, you can chose to enter the city by following Nightbird's stealth route instead (since I have been tardy in starting her scene I will make it a group skill check if you choose this route).

You can also do whatever else you consider reasonable.
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

Qora steps back to a deferential position by Kisai, nodding that she will abide by his decision, whatever happens, with an undercurrent of 'this is your show, make us and your ancestors proud'.
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Ysariel wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:33 pm All

The High Master levels a clawed finger at Kisai. "You are welcome to the hospitality of Shambhala. But I will not permit the interference of outsiders on matters of such import. Stay out of the election... or stay out."

You realize that the High Master is a formidable manipulator. He has not only cast doubt on your claims but pre-empted any accusations of arrogance against the wise of Shambhala.
Gelert decides to take to heart a lesson he learned in order to enter the city. Fighting war with war is a fruitless endeavor.

"My apologies as I am but a humble dog and not versed in your wisdom and ways I'm a little fuzzy on the rules for all this. Please enlighten me... exactly on what grounds are you trying to exclude Kisai from putting himself as a potential candidate? I believe one of your esteemed body described this process as: 'Those who think themselves fit for the mantle of Master Mage will assemble with their retinues, and pit their might and wits against the other contenders.' Has he not done so. As a practitioner of the mystic arts can you really say he is an outsider in regards to the selection of a Master Mage. Surely you can't mean to exclude him based on something like bloodline when you've also acknowledged he meets those pedigree standards? If its a question of power surely the contest itself would put proof to any claims. Or does he need to present a resume of all his deeds and a list of character witnesses, because I'm sure that could be arranged. And surely mages as honest, wise and powerful as those here could ensure their veracity in short order. I'm sure if you lay out your concerns about his qualification clearly Kisai would happily address them."

OOC: Two can play at this word game, lets see if we can out twist a snake man. Persuasion 1d20+14: 26
Ysariel wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:33 pmThe High Master turns to ascend the steps to the city. As he does, he whispers to one of the other mages.
Gelert: Perception, Result of 23
As the High Master whispers you manage to hear what he says clearly:

"The wards must be strengthened against Lady Lucienne. I will see to them personally."
Gelert's ears perk up, this may be the first potential common ground they had with the High Master.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

All

None of the wizards express more than mild surprise at Gelert's speech. If they are not yet familiar with your renown, talking animals are well-known enough in the magical world.

"You would hear my protest? Then so be it. He is a hero and Lucienne --" the High Master spits out the name with a whip-like crack of his forked tongue -- "has a long, long history of manipulating superhumans to her advantage."

You know immediately what he speaks of. S.P.E.C.T.R.U.M., which under Lucienne's command turned so many metahumans, by manipulation, bribery or force, into serving her cause.

"The hominid race craves power and all too easily bends to her will. Your city is at the very heart of her machinations. Her filthy pawn, Cooper, lords over it. She has shown intense and personal interest in all of you. Perhaps she has made you some offer, some deal in exchange for your service? Was it was she who gave you the strength to vanquish the Dreamer in the Dark? Two of your number are missing from this party -- up to some mischief, perchance? And after all this, now you show up on the eve of the election? To allow you into the city at all tests the limits of my magnanimty. You are permitted here only because of the legacy of the Justice Foundation."

The other mages shift uneasily. You sense they are resentful that he has just lumped them in with the rest of the 'hominid race', but since he is High Master and they are not, they remain silent.

"However..." He strokes his scaled chin, and pauses. "I will concede that I did not expect the ancient spells laid upon the city to find you worthy."

He laces his fingers. "Very well. You may enter the city; and if the other candidates will accept your challenge, I will not interfere. Let us see what part, if any, you play in her grand design."
Qora: Expertise: Courtly Intrigue
You can guess the High Master's intent: he hopes that with your presence, Lucienne will show her hand, and this way she can be defeated. He is keeping his enemies close, as the humans say.
"Father -- " Zhang starts.

But the High Master has already turned and is walking back to the city. One by one, the human mages too turn to follow.
OOC
The High Master's attitude to you changes from Hostile to Unfriendly. It can't be further improved through Persuasion.

You are free to enter Shambhala and participate in the election for Master Mage. You can still decline and take the stealth route, if for whatever reason you wish. If not, I will move you on to the next scene.
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Gelert calls after the High Master, "Your mistrust is entirely understandable in that context. I hope we can prove that it is misplaced to you in time. In the meanwhile let me share something the spells around this city showed me... Even if she gets everything she wants, Lucienne is doomed to fail. The foe she claims to oppose can't be fought with her methods.You can't stop War with violence. Just chalk that up to one more reason for her not to get her way."

As they head into the city, Gelert turns his attention to Zhang, the poor kid seems distraught. "You okay? That got pretty intense there, sorry you got dragged into that."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Kisai

Philip was about to tear into the pompous fools and summon up the Dragon until Gelert spoke.

Even though he wasn't talking to Philip, his words cut through the rage. He just stands there letting the rage die down while the High Master and others leave.

Then he leans over and pets Gelert. "Thank you, again, my friend. I almost let my anger get the best of me and overplayed my hand. They don't need to know everything I know just yet.

Pulling out a treat, he gives it to Gelert. Either they don't know the Dragon is Seiryu, or they think I don't know. Perhaps in some mixed-up way, the High Master is trying to goad me into leaving for the sake of all. In any case, there would be one person here who knows the truth about the Dragon and knows that I know - Lucienne's agent.

Them and whoever it was he encountered during the test.

Philip then turns to Zhang. "Do not be disappointed, my young friend. Your father carries many burdens and is not himself. I am sure he will apologize and make it up to us all."

He didn't totally believe that, but Zhang should.
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

"the enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy," Qora says, "No more, no less. it is very little, but he trusts us to be against her. I also apologise, Kisai. On Oziri, it is customary for one's entourage to speak of their leader's great deeds for them, a holdover from my grandfather's time, when the nobility almost bought into their own performance as living gods."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Kisai

"You have nothing to apologize for, Qora. We hold the only secret worth knowing. There is likely only one person outside of this group who knows the Dragon's secret, and that we know it. Lucienne's agent may reveal themselves that way."
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

All (except Nightbird)
Shambhala - Hall of Divine Harmony

"I... I thought that with heroes here, all the problems would be solved," he says. "Father would join forces with the heroes, a new Master Mage would be chosen, and we would set out to defeat evil. Father was always suspicious of outsiders, but even so..." he shakes his head. Simon puts a hand supportively on his shoulder.

The High Master looks around one shoulder and his eyes narrow at Gelert's words.

"Very well. I see the ancient wards around Shambhala have bestowed upon you a generous measure of the truth. You, then, understand how great the task of stopping the Incarnate of War is. If Lucienne is allowed to enact her foolish and ignorant plan, and even attack the Incarnate directly, the resulting conflict will further empower the Incarnate of War. Perhaps even to the point of invincibility. She must be stopped, whatever the cost."

The High Master leads you into the city. You pass through the titanic gates of steel and towering battlements into a vast area paved with slate-grey flagstones. Monks practice martial arts here - an eclectic mix of mostly Chinese, Japanese, Tibetans and Nepalese. Foreign mages, easily recognizable by their flamboyant ritual garb, observe your passing from pavillions and gardens. Before you rises the gargantuan, quadrangular bulk of the fortress proper.

"Shambhala is protected by the mightiest wards ever laid down by mortals," the High Master says as he leads you through the grand central plaza. "Eons ago, the hominid nation of Atlantis battled against the Lemurian empire, and both destroyed each other in catastrophic war. Refugees from the apocalyptic conflict came together in peace, here among the Himalayasm. Together, they raised the first wards in hopes of a shared future. Each generation of wise men and women has reinforced them, to the point that the wards are so complex that no one enemy can hope to undo them all."
Kisai - Technology, 8 ranks

The wards are sphagetti code and the High Master has only half a clue how they work.
"All those who would enter Shambhala are tested by spells, and only the worthy may enter."

You are led into the central fortress building and enter into a huge and richly decorated hall, supported by pillars the size and girth of tree trunks. Red tapestries decorate the walls and floor, and huge gates open on three sides. "This is the Hall of Divine Harmony," says the High Master. "Those willing to contend for the honor of becoming Earth's Master Mage are assembling as we speak. We shall see if any wish to challenge you."

From one side of the hall, a herald cries out. "Lord Ishmael ibn Uthman, Guardian of the Sacred Flame, Keeper of Simurgh, the Firebird of the South!"

A Persian man staggers in, supported by his armed guards. Blood splatters the carpet behind him as he walks. Immediately you see he is very heavily wounded; his clothes and skin bear the marks of laser burns.

"We have lost it," he gasps. "We lost the guardian spirit, the Firebird... to Her!"

"Lucienne," hisses the High Master.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Kisai

Philip holds back the smile. Such smug arrogance. Watching it crumble was more than a tiny bit enjoyable.

"What's that make? Two?"

He knew it was three, but Lucienne's agent may be playing the role of "successful keeper of the Guardian."

"How does that affect selecting a new Master Mage? How can you select one without the four Guardians?"
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Moonlight

"Wouldn't a more pressing concern be that Lucienne seems to have bypassed the wards on this place, or did this attack happen outside of Shamballa?"
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

Qora

"More pressing that a man is dying before us," Qora says, furious at her inability to do anything other than to nod to Gelert to help the man if able