Adventures Assemble S3E3: The Great Brain Robbery!

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
kreuzritter

Re: Adventures Assemble S2E3: Call to Arms!

Post by kreuzritter »

Ysariel wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:30 pm All
Kathamadu, Nepal - City streets

A nervous-looking waiter comes to take Qora's order, but Zhang looks agitated. "It is not safe for me to stay here long," he whispers.

"Why? The Champions can easily kick the butts of those rogues," Simon says. His faith in you is absolute.

"No doubt. But Father warned me not to be seen by humans in my true form. Humans - and the Nepalese and Chinese governments - have had many encounters with evil sorcerers of fallen Lemuria, and they may take action." He sighs, flitting his forked tongue. "It seems we must all pay a price for the evil actions of our misguided broodmates."
Qora
HP

"I understand," Qora replies, "On Oziri, we have the Haud, serpent-men like yourselves once kept in check by the tyranny of my grandfather, and who thought to overthrow my father after he seized the throne, claiming they were the planets rightful rulers once. as such, any reptilian offworlder is likewise regarded with suspicion. It seems, sadly, that some states are universal... but that is why we must make the effort to change them, master Zhang. One day, you, your father and those like you should one day be free to walk these streets unmolested."

Qora, confident in their new ally, enters the portal
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Ysariel wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:44 pm Gelert
????

You walk into the blizzard, a supernatural storm like no other on Earth. Your little pawprints are obliterated the moment you life your feet and the light of your blue aura flickers unsteadily in your snow. It is impossible to see, hear or smell your companions in the ice and sleet. The blizzard obliterates all sensation, all sense of direction, and you are hopelessly lost.

Then, just as suddenly, the snow and wind fade. Your paws find purchase on a harsh, corrugated metal surface. Dim red lights blow in the semi-darkness about you. You see metal walls and bulkheads about you and, far away, the hum of some kind of distant machine.

You are in a vast metal passageway as wide as a river and as tall as an office tower. You can only imagine what kind of titanic creature inhabits this place. Strange smells surround you: alien sweat, exotic metals, machine lubricants and synthetics, and more. The ceiling of the gargantuan hallway is made up of transparent windows or holoprojectors (you can't be sure at this distance) displaying a starscape dotted with the wicked triangular hulls of attack craft. You must be aboard some kind of titanic alien ship.

Your blood chills when you recognize those designs. They are the same shapes as the Armada ships you saw in the vision the ring showed you.

Before you can explore further, you hear a sound from behind you. A veritable army is heading your way - masses of alien tanks, vaguely humanoid shapes, and hovering skimmers and aircraft. A quick examination of your surroundings reveals two escape routes: you can make a dash for an archway to your left, or move forward (in the same direction the army is headed) through a grand archway in front of you.

Comprehend
The archway to your left reads "HALL OF TROPHIES".

The grand archway ahead of you reads "THRONE ROOM".

OOC
You are affected by the Desolation of Mahāpadma. Your commlink and all Communication powers no longer work. You cannot leave the scene through any means, including teleport and dimensional movement. For these effects, you receive 1 HP.

You can enter either of the archways. You can also attempt to confront the army heading your way.
Gelert quickly looks from the approaching army, to the throne room arch, to the hall of trophies, back to the army, back to the throne room arch, back to the Hall of trophies.

He decided that staying out of that army's path was the best course of action until he could get a better read on the situation, and dashed into the arch that read HALL OF TROPHIES.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Qora

"Yes!" Zhang says brightly, encouraged by your words. "It may not be done in a day, a year, or even a century, but we shall work for a brighter future. Lemuria is forever lost, but perhaps we may yet find a way to share this world together."

He watches you walk through the doorway, into the raging blizzard. "Stay strong, Miss Qora! The pure and noble of heart shall surely reach the Golden City's gates!"

As you pass the threshold and prepare to step into the blizzard you hear a voice from behind you. "Wait!"

It is Simon!

He moves to join you, but Zhang holds him back. "No! The Desolation of Mahāpadma is dangerous," Zhang says. "It transports those who enter through space and time, to face dangers that test their true character. Only those who prove themselves brave, pure and noble may enter the Golden City, and those who fail are never seen again. You are but a child, not a warrior. You cannot go!"

"That is why I must go!" Simon says. "I must know who I really am. I am not the boy called Simon my Lor parents thought I was. I know I am Grue, a shapeshifter, loyal to the Unity. Is the childhood I remember a lie, then? How much of it is fake? How did I come to be separated from the Onemind? I must know, Zhang. I must!"

He breaks free of Zhang and makes a run for you.

OOC
You can push Simon back through the door, forbidding him from coming with you, or you can let him come. No check is required either way.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Nightbird & Moonlight
Sacramento, California - Outside the State Capitol Building

Both of you step through the doorway, and howling wind and ice surround you. The mid-morning light of the Nepalese teahouse and the sounds of Kathamadu fade, to be replaced by the bitter darkness of a blizzard. Your fellow heroes are swallowed up in the blackness and beyond reach, but fortunately, both of you manage to keep track of each other and stay together in the blizzard. The wind surges around you, throwing up great sprays of ice and snow, and soon the door at your back is lost.

Together, you struggle through the darkness of the ice storm for long minutes. All you can tell is that you are on some kind of mountainside - perhaps somewhere in the Himalayas? And then, without warning, the snow begins to fade and the wind lessen in force. You take another step forward, and find yourself on warm city streets.

Both of you are in an alleyway. A quick glance at a nearby street sign reveals that you have somehow been transported to Sacramento, state capital of California. Outside, you can glimpse the domed, neoclassical architecture of the State Capitol building. It is late at night in this timezone - close to midnight.

It also reveals that there is some kind of protest going on. "The Champions are pawns of the aliens!" yells a man with a loudspeaker. He stands atop a parked vehicle before the steps of the building, addressing a crowd that is disappointingly huge - numbering in the hundreds at the least. Police stand by, watching but not taking action. "They are supposed to be protectors of us, of humanity. Instead, they favor aliens over the rightful heirs of this planet! Where were the Champions when you lost your jobs to alien refugees? Would they lift a finger to protect us from alien terrorists? Do they care for the danger their battles put us innocent humans in?" he questions the crowd. That these flimsy arguments arouse roars of approval tells you all you need to know about the protestors' disposition.

"Today, everything will be set right. Today, Mayor Cooper shall revoke Phoenix Bay's status as a Sanctuary City. Even now, he meets with the governor to make him see reason. Justice shall prevail! Human cities shall once again be havens for humans alone!"

Nightbird: Streetwise
You do not recognize the man with the houdhailer. At least, he does not seem to be a known supervillain or agent of a criminal organization. As far as you can tell, he is merely a run-of-the-mill bigot.

OOC
Both of you are affected by the Desolation of Mahāpadma. Your commlink and all Communication powers no longer work. You cannot leave the scene through any means, including teleport and dimensional movement. For these effects, you receive 1 HP.

You can confront the protestors. (Note that the protestors react differently to Nightbird and Moonlight.)

Alternately, you can enter the Capitol Building to confront the state Governor.

You can also take whatever action you consider reasonable.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Kisai
HP: 5, Condition: Brusied x1
Ysariel wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:31 pmYou walk into the blizzard with the others, and this supernatural storm is like no other you have ever seen. The sleet and ice blot out the sun, and you see nothing but a grey darkness. Wind howls and tears at you as your feet sink into thigh-deep snow. You can barely see your own outstretched hand, and before you know it, the others are lost. You are alone in the blizzard.

Then, you hear it: a distant wail, hauntingly audible over the roar of the blizzard. A woman's voice. "PHILIP," it cries. "SAVE ME!"

The sheer despair in that cry makes one shudder. It is the plea of one for whom hope itself, the promise of being saved, of escaping eternal suffering, is the worst and cruelest torment.

"PHILIP! YOU DOOMED ME TO THIS FATE. SAVE ME!"

A chill seeps through you as you hear that voice, and it has nothing to do with the surrounding blizzard. It is Jasmine's voice!
As he passes through the portal, Philip braces himself for the coming cold. Even still, the wind whips through him and the winter coat over his tuxedo like he is naked. He barely gets out a "Brrr" before the voice hits his ears.

He instantly recognizes it. He has dreamed about this almost every night since he stopped her in the sewers and sent her packing.

All thoughts of his missing teammate are gone as he makes his way toward the voice. He wants to call out but really can't think of what to say.
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

Ysariel wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:10 pm Qora

"Yes!" Zhang says brightly, encouraged by your words. "It may not be done in a day, a year, or even a century, but we shall work for a brighter future. Lemuria is forever lost, but perhaps we may yet find a way to share this world together."

He watches you walk through the doorway, into the raging blizzard. "Stay strong, Miss Qora! The pure and noble of heart shall surely reach the Golden City's gates!"

As you pass the threshold and prepare to step into the blizzard you hear a voice from behind you. "Wait!"

It is Simon!

He moves to join you, but Zhang holds him back. "No! The Desolation of Mahāpadma is dangerous," Zhang says. "It transports those who enter through space and time, to face dangers that test their true character. Only those who prove themselves brave, pure and noble may enter the Golden City, and those who fail are never seen again. You are but a child, not a warrior. You cannot go!"

"That is why I must go!" Simon says. "I must know who I really am. I am not the boy called Simon my Lor parents thought I was. I know I am Grue, a shapeshifter, loyal to the Unity. Is the childhood I remember a lie, then? How much of it is fake? How did I come to be separated from the Onemind? I must know, Zhang. I must!"

He breaks free of Zhang and makes a run for you.

OOC
You can push Simon back through the door, forbidding him from coming with you, or you can let him come. No check is required either way.
Qora takes Simon's hand, her silence word enough that she will protect the boy.
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird
HP: 4
Condition: Normal

As the man was speaking Imogen tried to activate her commlink to contact the others only getting a burst of static

"Looks like we're on our own" Imogen mention to Moonlight "Comms are down and the bigots are out in force it seems."

Evaluating the situation for a moment, the mood of the crowd seemed off and it wasn't hard to imagine the reaction if they saw Moonlight whereas ... a cold smile flitted on Imogens face for a moment.

"I am going to have a chat with the blowhard on the bullhorn, do you want to see if you can find a newspaper or anything about what Cooper plans to do?"

Waiting a moment or two in case Moonlight had any other suggestions, Imogen then made her way over to the protesters taking a slight detour to make it appear as though she had come from the opposite direction and appearing as if she had stepped out of a patch of darker shadow.

"Hello there did I hear my name being trashed?"
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Moonlight
HP: 4 LP: 1
Condition: Fine

Hearing the man's words, Aranel realized she could be mistaken for an alien easily by this mob. "I'll try and locate a newspaper but I'm not sure it would do us any good. Something seems off, the air just feels...wrong." Going in search of a newspaper and away from the crowds, she would remain close enough if NIghtbird needed her assistance.

OOC: Perception check if needed to locate a newspaper in the nearby area: Perception check: 1d20+12 18
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Gelert
Armada Supercarrier

You enter the trophy room - a city-sized space with skyscraper-high piles of loot.

Nearly all are weapons. There are mighty swords and spears and there are massive cannons and guns. They float silently in stasis fields, they lie chained in power limiters. Sleek attack ships lie dormant next to bombs and missiles of unfathomable destructive power. As far as you can tell, all the equipment here has been disabled or rendered inert in some way, and many are broken or non-functional - serving only to mark the defeat of their dead wielders. Everything here smells, horribly, of blood and death.

Suddenly, you smell something oddly familiar. A moment later a glint of light catches your eye. It is a ring with a silver band, bearing a blue gem with an emblem inscribed in it:

It is a Ring of Hope. However, the gem is shattered and dark, the ring now useless.

You look around. About it are other similar rings, some bloodstained, others scarred by plasma or laser, all shattered. Hundreds, thousands of them.

Without warning, one of them starts pulsing with faint blue light. You see that this particular ring has been chipped at the edge, but remains largely intact.

OOC

You can approach the glowing ring or leave. You can also do anything else you consider reasonable.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Kisai
????

You walk in the direction of the bloodcurdling screams.

"PHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILIP!"

"PHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILIP!"

The wind carries the hideous cries, amplifies them. You follow the terrible sound, and suddenly stumble through the blizzard to arrive at a chilling sight.

You see before you a valley covered with bloody iron spikes that rise from the rocky ground, ranging from six to over twenty feet in the air. The entire valley looks like the toothed maw of some titanic, hellish creature. The high mountain slopes on either side of you block out the raging blizzard, allowing you to see clearly within the valley.

In the middle of the valley, two massive spikes, far larger than the rest, rise into the air in a massive 'X' shape. Spreadeagled upon the cross is Jasmine. Her face is contorted with unimaginable agony and her wrists and feet are nailed securely to the iron.

"PHILLIP, FREE ME!" she wails. "YOU DOOMED ME TO ETERNAL TORMENT IN THIS HELL. YOU DID THIS! FREE ME! PLEASE! FREE MEEEEEEEE!"

OOC

The spikes Jasmine are bound to have Toughness 10 and can be attacked and damaged normally, but shooting them from afar will cause her to fall and be impaled on the valley of iron spikes below without some other effect.

You can make your way to Jasmine by flight or teleport. If you decide to approach within 30ft of her, make an Insight check.

Alternately, you can speak with her, or turn around and leave her (no check in both cases). You can also do whatever you consider reasonable.
Last edited by Ysariel on Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Qora
Unknown location - abandoned factory

You step through the door into the raging blizzard, into a cold that chills you even through your superhuman strength and stamina. Instantly, the mid-morning light is blotted out; the doorway behind you vanishes in a whirlwind of snow and ice; and all sound is swallowed up in the deafening roar of the blizzard. Through the ice, your alien senses can see the rocky slope of a Himalayan mountainside. It seems to extend forever, as far as you can see, jagged peaks above and treacherous slopes below.

There is nowhere to go but forward. Step by torturous step, knee-deep in the ice, Simon desperately clutching at your arm. Somehow, the blizzard grows stronger, not weaker, the further you go. The falling ice becomes too sense for even you to see through, and then --
Without warning, the blizzard dies. You stumble out of the storm onto a catwalk. Moonlight streams in through dusty windows high above; insects skitter away from your sudden appearance on the steel beneath your boots.

"Qora," Simon whispers in a horrified voice. "Look!"

You are not alone. Below you is the floor of a long-abandoned factory, the machinery cleared away and the space lit by harsh white fluorescent lighting. You see Ziaahak, the lizardlike alien who led Roulette's agitators and attempted to incite the refugees to take up arms against the Exterminators. She is curled up on the bare floor in pain. Two hulking Ruluans circle her, wielding electric cattle prods.

A familiar voice rings out. "I," Roulette seethes, "am a fair and generous mistress to those who serve well. But make no mistake: I do not tolerate incompetence. Let this be a warning to those of you who think me soft."

Phoenix Bay's queen of vice, surrounded by nearly twenty heavily-armed aliens, gestures. The Ruluans strike Ziaahak with their crude implements, and she screams as electricity sizzles.

OOC
You can intervene at any moment. If you choose to initiate combat, you gain a surprise round, as nobody below expects your presence. Roulette is heroic. Her Alien Mercenaries fight as a single unit using mass combat rules (-2 resistance against Takedown attack, -5 resistance against area attacks).
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Nightbird

Your sudden appearance causes the crowd of rioters to collectively take a step back. It is clear that they do not expect you to materialize here and now. The man with the loudhailer's face twists into a scowl. To one side, the watching police officers suddenly sit up straight, and one begins to talk into her radio.

"The coward shows herself at last!" booms the rabble-rousing man's voice through the loudspeaker. "She comes to steal our moment of victory from us, to sabotage Mayor Cooper's work. Rise up, brothers and sisters! Defend human liberty and dignity!"

Thugs emerge from within the crowd. They wear black masks and produce small arms, crowbars and baseball bats from under coats and jackets. The look in their eyes is murderous.

"Kill her!" "Justice to the race traitor!" they cry as they raise weapons.

Insight: Result of 20
You judge that the man with the loudhailer is acting oddly - that he might be under some kind of supernatural influence, such as mind control or possession. He is dismayed at your arrival and prefers to let his flunkies deal with you rather than confront you directly.

Turn Order
-- Nightbird *
-- Anti-Alien Bigots x1 (Minion; squad)

You are up! :D
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Moonlight

You find yesterday's paper on a seat at a nearby bus stop, which tells you little of use. However, media crew surround the entrance of the Capitol building, and a quick glance at the screens of their camera crews and a little eavesdropping on what they are saying into their mics offers some insight on what is going on.

"With no more than a few hours' notice, the Governor of California has called an unprecedented midnight session of the State Assembly to discuss the implications of today's anti-alien riot in Phoenix Bay..."

"A source confirms that Mayor Cooper will address the Assembly to propose revoking Phoenix Bay's status as a Sanctuary City, removing many legal protections put in place to defend alien refugees..."

"...Truly a remarkable sign of Cooper's political strength while both major parties are mired in their troubles - analysts suggest he might contest the Presidential election as an independent candidate..."

Speaking of the devil, a massive, armored limousine drives up to the gates of the Capitol, which part for it. Through its bulletproof windows, you see the brooding, piggish countenance of Mayor Reginald P. Cooper, in noticeably bad mood. Security officers keep the crowds away as the metal gates swing open to let the vehicle pass, then begin to swing close. Such human contrivances are little obstacle to you should you choose to confront Cooper or the human politicians.

OOC
You can attempt to stop Mayor Cooper's limousine and confront him directly. (The Capitol security guards attack you if you obstruct the limousine's progreess, however, they are trained to deal with human criminals and not superheroes, so we can just say that you subdue them without lethal force, no rolls necessary.)

Alternately, you can attempt to fly into the Capitol grounds undetected, either to lie in wait for Cooper or confront the Governor directly. Make a DC 20 stealth check, with a +5 bonus for the ruckus raised by Nightbird at the entrance.

Alternately, you can join Nightbird's side of the confrontation. You can also do whatever else you consider reasonable.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Kisai

Philip stares out at the valley in disbelief. Jasmine suspended on spikes in the center of a valley of spikes... and no demons.

He had thought... hoped... it was someone mimicking her voice. But there she was waiting for him to rescue her. Not the first time she had done something that needed him bailing her out, but that's what they did. Saved each other.

Most of the time.

Not even thinking about how he got here... or was she the one misplaced... he contemplates her rescue.

Shaking his head, he slowly, cautiously heads down into the valley. There are only two reasons the demons wouldn't be crawling all over this area: either they are hiding and waiting to spring a trap on him, or they are playing the long game.

He moves slowly through the valley, being careful as he moves. He could easily zip in and out on his new bike, but on the chance its a trap, he doesn't want to reveal too much.

Stopping about 50 feet away from her, still on guard, he calls out.

"Jasmine. I'm here."
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

Ysariel wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:47 pm Qora
Unknown location - abandoned factory

You step through the door into the raging blizzard, into a cold that chills you even through your superhuman strength and stamina. Instantly, the mid-morning light is blotted out; the doorway behind you vanishes in a whirlwind of snow and ice; and all sound is swallowed up in the deafening roar of the blizzard. Through the ice, your alien senses can see the rocky slope of a Himalayan mountainside. It seems to extend forever, as far as you can see, jagged peaks above and treacherous slopes below.

There is nowhere to go but forward. Step by torturous step, knee-deep in the ice, Simon desperately clutching at your arm. Somehow, the blizzard grows stronger, not weaker, the further you go. The falling ice becomes too sense for even you to see through, and then --
Without warning, the blizzard dies. You stumble out of the storm onto a catwalk. Moonlight streams in through dusty windows high above; insects skitter away from your sudden appearance on the steel beneath your boots.

"Qora," Simon whispers in a horrified voice. "Look!"

You are not alone. Below you is the floor of a long-abandoned factory, the machinery cleared away and the space lit by harsh white fluorescent lighting. You see Ziaahak, the lizardlike alien who led Roulette's agitators and attempted to incite the refugees to take up arms against the Exterminators. She is curled up on the bare floor in pain. Two hulking Ruluans circle her, wielding electric cattle prods.

A familiar voice rings out. "I," Roulette seethes, "am a fair and generous mistress to those who serve well. But make no mistake: I do not tolerate incompetence. Let this be a warning to those of you who think me soft."

Phoenix Bay's queen of vice, surrounded by nearly twenty heavily-armed aliens, gestures. The Ruluans strike Ziaahak with their crude implements, and she screams as electricity sizzles.

OOC
You can intervene at any moment. If you choose to initiate combat, you gain a surprise round, as nobody below expects your presence. Roulette is heroic. Her Alien Mercenaries fight as a single unit using mass combat rules (-2 resistance against Takedown attack, -5 resistance against area attacks).
Qora

"Your words are as empty as your soul," Qora says, intercepting the painsticks for Ziaahak without thinking, holding the reptile-woman in her arms "If you were truly as hard and fair as you say, you would be down here inflicting pain yourself, rather than prattling on while others act in your name! "

and in that instant, Qora curses herself for leaving Simon unguarded, but confident that with the attention on her, he is safe and unseen for the moment
rolling fort for interposing on Ziaahak's torture: FORT: 1d20+14 17

ew. HP to reroll: FORT: 1d20+14 25