Adventures Assemble S3E3: The Great Brain Robbery!

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Ysariel

Re: Adventures Assemble S2E3: Call to Arms!

Post by Ysariel »

Moonlight
Sacramento, California - Outside the State Capitol Building

The reporters here to cover the meeting of the State Assembly crowd round at the commotion, and a hundred cameras focus on you as you walk forward to confront the Governor, cutting in ahead of Cooper as you do. Capitol security hesitates, unsure of whether to openly attack you on live TV before the eyes of the nation - and the world. You realize, suddenly, that this battle will be won or lost here on the steps of the Capitol Building, and not before the State Assembly.

Your words seem to sway the Governor. You can tell that he sympathizes with your perspective, or at least sees the political advantage in doing so. "Miss Moonlight," he nods. "I am aware the Champions--"

Cooper walks up to the governor and seizes the taller man by the arm. "I will be President soon, Governor Brown," the Mayor of Phoenix Bay hisses in a dangerous whisper, low enough that only you hear.

"Yes, your Honor."

"Remember at whose pleasure your career was allowed to flourish. Remember who is the only one able to defy the Armada headed for Earth. Remember..."

"Your Honor... I respect Her wishes -- but don't you think you are moving too fast for Her pleasure? Isn't this a little too brazen -- even for an Illuminatus?"

The Governor's deferential tone towards Mayor Cooper are all you need to know that the powers that put Cooper in office hold sway here too, whatever political party may raise its flag above the capitol. However, there is still room to turn this argument to your advantage.

OOC
Cooper attempts to counter your Persuasion check with one of his own. He has a lower Persuasion score, but his Illuminatus advantage gives him a large boost to swaying the Governor.

1d20+7+5: 22 [1d20=10]
Does not beat you. You now have 1 success.

Treat this as a skill challenge. There are 5 rounds, and you must score 3 successes before 2 failures.

For Round 2, Cooper now attempts to use Intimidate on the governor.
1d20+2+5: 23 [1d20=16]
Choose one of your skills and make a check with it to counter his Intimidate result of 23.
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

Ysariel wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:53 pm Qora
Unknown location - abandoned factory

"You heroes and your damnable luck," she says at last, addressing you. "Well, consider this one a win for you, my dear. The lizard blabbed, so I won't bother hiding that yes, I did decide to have you killed, after you proved so useful in getting rid of Lord Steel. I saw how you played those aliens like a fiddle that day by your headquarters. It's dangerous to have someone like you running loose, winning the hearts and minds of my potential minions."

"A word of advice. After a storm passes, rainbows can be seen. A great storm is coming, and when it passes..."

Her image flickers, then blinks out. You were right. It was only a hologram all along, an extremely advanced holoprojection - as if Phoenix Bay's queen of vice would ever allow herself to be trumped by something as crude as alien manhandling.

Ziaahak remains lying on the ground.

"A quick death," she hisses at you. "I deserve that much at least from you."
"We rarely get what we demand we deserve" Qoura replies, "And killing everyone who betrayed me and mine would mean mother and father would spend Life Day in an empty tomb. No, you get to live with the knowledge of what you'd done, and my pity. And honestly, I cannot prove anything that happened here, so as the earthlings say, we will call it even for now."

once Qora is satisfied that Ziaahak will be okay, she warpsteps back to where she left Simon
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Nightbird

Your sonic bombardment causes Knightfire to reel, clothes and smokeless flame billowing out behind him in the gale-force wind. The police vehicles rock in the wave of the blast and stray soda cans and litter skip by on the pavement.

In the distance you see many more officers speaking into radios now and the crowds are pushing up against the police cordon to get a firsthand look at an honest to God super-battle. The officers have let the fleeing protestors pass through their cordon, judging it more important to encircle Knightfire. "Hold fire!" you hear someone yell as law enforcement watches the confrontation with guns drawn. You realize they are refraining from shooting to avoid hitting you. Bright light dazzles your eyes as the spotlight from a hovering news chopper shines down on you both, circling you in an arena of light.

"EXPLAIN WHAT?" Knightfire roars, and his flames flare up in defiance as he shakes off your assault. "IT IS IN THE NATURE OF HUMANKIND TO HATE," the fiery phantom declares. "TO DETEST IMPURITY, TO DESPISE FILTH, TO FEEL DISGUST AT THE ABNORMAL AND UNNATURAL. ARE YOU SAYING THIS CROWD WOULD NOT HAVE GATHERED HERE WITHOUT ME?"

He laughs. It is a horrible, soulless laughter that makes the surrounding civilians cover their ears and shrink back in discomfort.

"LET ME TELL YOU THE TRUTH, LITTLE BIRD. PEOPLE ARE ALL THE SAME. THEY DIFFER ONLY IN THE SUBJECT OF THEIR HATRED."

He makes a horrible throat-clearing sound - as if hawking up a gob of phlegm to spit upon the ground - and spits forth a fiery comet right at you!
OOC
You are correct. The protestors have scattered, so you and Knightfire are relatively alone in the middle of the road.

1d20+10: 30 [1d20=20]
1d20+9+2: 24 [1d20=13]

Unfortunately he passes both checks easily.

He then uses Fiery Blast on Nightbird.
1d20+10: 13 [1d20=3] Misses
Turn Order
28 Nightbird *
10 Knightfire (Rogue)

You are up!
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Ysariel wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:17 pm Gelert
Armada Supercarrier - Trophy Room

Before you can decide on a course of action, the scream of attack craft high above you warns you that you are too late. Wicked, dagger-shaped star fighters shriek across the city-sized trophy room to circle above you like hungry vultures. Scarlet spotlights shine down from them, bathing you in a blood-red circle. Marching troops - hundreds, thousands of them - pour in through the entrance, the countless legions of the Armada here to enforce its will. You realize you are utterly surrounded.

But the Armada's invincible, infinite legions do not attack. They thump their weapons and chant, an ominous drumbeat to accompany the mighty footsteps that shake the ground as they approach. You realize at last you are about to come face-to-face with the titanic being for whom this massive ship was built for.

His legs are mountains. His arms, skyscrapers. Living flame pours from his eyes and mouth and nose, and a crown of swords sits atop his head. His armor is covered with wicked spikes and adorned with a horrific design of millions of faces contorted in eternal agony. You remember the recording taken from the broken ring, how Kinian Khan sacrificed a thousand times a thousand times a thousand of his people to awaken Collapsar and set it against the Lor, and realize that the tortured faces etched upon his armor represent every single one of those doomed souls.

You come face-to-face with Kaak-Shar, War Incarnate, as he strides through the massive arch and towards you.

One of the attack craft hovers to a stop before the towering Incarnate, and an alien figure upon its bridge prostrates itself. "Your most unworthy and despicable servant begs for mercy, O Conqueror of Conquerors," begs the power-armored figure. "I know not how this feeble canine penetrated our security, but --"

Two beams of scarlet flame shoot from the Incarnate's eyes and explode the ship, turning it and its crew into fiery bits of burning flesh and wreckage.

"I WOULD VAPORIZE YOU, TOO, IN AN INSTANT, LAST OF THE GUARDIANS," the Incarnate speaks in a voice that rattles the countless war machines and weapons throughout the trophy room. "BUT YOU MUST HAVE SOME HIDDEN POWER, SOME SECRET ADVANTAGE, TO STEAL ABOARD MY FLAGSHIP UNMOLESTED. TELL ME, LITTLE CORGI. TELL ME WHAT FEEBLE HOPE COMPELS YOU TO RESIST I, THE INVINCIBLE KINIAN KHAN."
Gelert gives a sad look towards the casually murdered minions, it gave him something to look at besides the faces of Kinian Khan's other victims. A distraction from the deep dark fear that welled up from inside the little Corgi. But the distractions couldn't last and Gelert turned his eyes back to the abomination before him.

Maybe it was the fear that led to it, but as Gelert struggled to put together a coherent response to the question shouted at him a thought crossed his mind and before he was aware of it his ring verbalized it for him.

"Wow, it really is war incarnate. Stupidly wasteful of life and resources over the most dumb selfish thing." There's a moment of quiet before Gelert goes. "Ah poop, did I say that out loud? Sorry, Mister...Khan? Mister Kinian? Mister Kaak-Shar? Mr.K? Sorry I'm rambling, I'm processing a lot of information and emotions right now. Give me a moment and I'll have a coherent and defiant speech for you."

Gelert manages to rein in his fear enough to answer the original question. And he actually thinks about the answer despite the fact that he doubts this monstrous edifice to horror and bloodshed could either care or understand and only asked to get an excuse to rant and stroke its own massive ego. "The Feeble Hope as you called it that compels me to resist you... That tomorrow can be better. That if the effort is put in, things can be kinder, more fair, and happier. For Everyone. No matter how bleak and terrible things get they can get better. But sometimes that means that someone small has to be willing to stand up to a big bully... and from way down here I have to say they don't make bullies much bigger than you."
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Ysariel wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:35 pm Moonlight

The reporters here to cover the meeting of the State Assembly crowd round at the commotion, and a hundred cameras focus on you as you walk forward to confront the Governor, cutting in ahead of Cooper as you do. Capitol security hesitates, unsure of whether to openly attack you on live TV before the eyes of the nation - and the world. You realize, suddenly, that this battle will be won or lost here on the steps of the Capitol Building, and not before the State Assembly.

Your words seem to sway the Governor. You can tell that he sympathizes with your perspective, or at least sees the political advantage in doing so. "Miss Moonlight," he nods. "I am aware the Champions--"

Cooper walks up to the governor and seizes the taller man by the arm. "I will be President soon, Governor Brown," the Mayor of Phoenix Bay hisses in a dangerous whisper, low enough that only you hear.

"Yes, your Honor."

"Remember at whose pleasure your career was allowed to flourish. Remember who is the only one able to defy the Armada headed for Earth. Remember..."

"Your Honor... I respect Her wishes -- but don't you think you are moving too fast for Her pleasure? Isn't this a little too brazen -- even for an Illuminatus?"

The Governor's deferential tone towards Mayor Cooper are all you need to know that the powers that put Cooper in office hold sway here too, whatever political party may raise its flag above the capitol. However, there is still room to turn this argument to your advantage.

OOC
Cooper attempts to counter your Persuasion check with one of his own. He has a lower Persuasion score, but his Illuminatus advantage gives him a large boost to swaying the Governor.

1d20+7+5: 22 [1d20=10]
Does not beat you. You now have 1 success.

Treat this as a skill challenge. There are 5 rounds, and you must score 3 successes before 2 failures.

For Round 2, Cooper now attempts to use Intimidate on the governor.
1d20+2+5: 23 [1d20=16]
Choose one of your skills and make a check with it to counter his Intimidate result of 23.
Moonlight
HP: 4 LP: 1
Condition: Fine

So, from what the Governor was saying Lady Lucienne didn't order Cooper to have the sanctuary city status for aliens removed, at least not yet. This could work to her advantage. "You know, I would be worried myself if I decided to take the initiative and do something without my boss' clear orders. This Illuminatus person might not be too happy if Mayor Cooper is simply acting on his own prejudices instead of following their plan to the letter. Mr. Governor, you surely wouldn't wish to upset this Illuminatus, would you?"

OOC: I've only got Persuasion or Insight if that would be allowed for the speech I had her give. Going with Persuasion again with note what Insight check would be: Persuasion check: 1d20+10 26 Even with Insight that would have been 25 total.
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird
HP: 4
Condition: Normal

Ysariel wrote: "EXPLAIN WHAT?" Knightfire roars, and his flames flare up in defiance as he shakes off your assault. "IT IS IN THE NATURE OF HUMANKIND TO HATE," the fiery phantom declares. "TO DETEST IMPURITY, TO DESPISE FILTH, TO FEEL DISGUST AT THE ABNORMAL AND UNNATURAL. ARE YOU SAYING THIS CROWD WOULD NOT HAVE GATHERED HERE WITHOUT ME?"

He laughs. It is a horrible, soulless laughter that makes the surrounding civilians cover their ears and shrink back in discomfort.

"LET ME TELL YOU THE TRUTH, LITTLE BIRD. PEOPLE ARE ALL THE SAME. THEY DIFFER ONLY IN THE SUBJECT OF THEIR HATRED."
Swaying slightly to the side to avoid the spit of flame fly pass, Imogen put the distraction of the news copter to one side, the pool of light surrounding them would make it harder for her to use the shadows to her advantage, oh well time to try a direct approach.

"Really? I guess we hang round different people" Imogen deadpans moving in to deliver some rapid kicks at the legs of Knightfire attempting to knock him off his feet.

Nightbird Attack
Nightbird Attack: 1d20+14 30
DC23 Toughness Save
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Gelert
Armada Supercarrier -- Trophy Room
"That tomorrow can be better."
The broken ring - the one from which you received the video recording - starts to glow with a blue light.
"That if the effort is put in, things can be kinder, more fair, and happier. For Everyone."
The shattered rings begin pulsing. Hundreds of them, thousands of them, pulse bright blue in sync with your Ring of Hope.
"But sometimes that means that someone small has to be willing to stand up to a big bully... and from way down here I have to say they don't make bullies much bigger than you."
A thousand beams of blue light shoot from each of the shattered rings to you and a blinding blue glow erupts about your body. The symbol of the Guardians of Hope -- Pandora's jar -- appears beneath your feet in a perfect circle over a mile wide, and from it rises a pillar of blue light that blasts all the way to the ceiling of the cavernous trophy hall. The shadowy reaches of this shrine to death and wanton conflict are filled with azure radiance. The mighty Incarnate himself recoils from the glow as though it burns him.

Through the glow, you see and smell all around you thousands, millions of ethereal figures. There are rodents and eagles, lizards and tortoises, felines and canines. You see the fox who appeared in the recording earlier, and he smiles and winks at you. You see in the distance the great blue bird you once saw in a dream, and she nods approvingly at you. You are surrounded by the infinite ranks of all the Guardians who have ever lived and died.

"WHAT TREACHERY IS--"

The Guardians speak as one, and their voices, gentle and harmonious, drown out that of Kaak-Shar.

"Though Famine hound us and Hate burn us;
War torment us and Death end us;
Though the universe be dark and grim,
The Light of Hope will never dim!"

The guardians raise claws, wings, tentacles, and a million assorted appendages, and you feel massive power flow into you. Incredible, unimaginable power, power like you have never dreamed of before.

"Kill it! Kill the canine!" you hear a terrified voice yell.

The Armada's infinite, invincible armies open fire. A hail of gunfire, energy weapons and missiles that would obliterate a city fall on you. They bounce off you like raindrops off a windshield. The bombardment wrecks Kaak-Shar's trophy room, melting ancient weapons and setting off city-busting ammunition, and you are unharmed.

"INCOMPETENTS!" roars the Incarnate, making a sweeping gesture with his hand that sends fleets of attack scraft careening out of control. "I SHALL SQUASH THIS INSECT MYSELF!"

You see clearly through the aura of blinding blue light. Ahead of you, the Incarnate raises a terrible two-handed sword the size of a mountain peak. Behind you, the Guardians begin to fade out, one by one. This is your battle, your moment, your struggle.

You remember the words of Adrian Eldritch, Earth's Master Mage: "You cannot fight War with war."
OOC

This is an unusual combat. The purpose is not to win, but to learn how to fight the Incarnate of War through experience. Learn well and remember your experience, for the day will come when you need it and the stakes are infinitely higher.

You become PL X2 (per the Cosmic Handbook):
  • All your traits except Immunity have a +40 bonus to them. All your powers are 40 ranks higher. In short, add a +40 bonus to every roll you make.
  • Once every round, you can power stunt for free any power with your regular descriptors or with the descriptor of Hope.
  • Any character that is not at least PL X is essentially helpless to you. You deal with them as you see fit without rolling.
Turn Order
-- Gelert *
-- Kaak-Shar, War Incarnate, Conquerer of Conquerers

You are up
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Kisai
????

The wheels of your digital cycle screech and throw up huge sprays of snow, and then you are racing through the massive iron spikes, away from "Jasmine's" tormented figure. Away, into the snow and darkness.

You hear her tortured cries from behind you. "PHILIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP! WHY ARE YOU LEAVING MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

The wailing swiftly fades into the distance. And then, you hear a terrible groaning and rumbling sound all about you. The rows of wicked iron spikes on either side of you are stirring.

They are the teeth of some titanic creature - some demon or spirit massive beyond comprehension - and, sensing that its prey has not fallen for the lure, it is closing its maw.

But you are far too fast for it! Zig-zagging through the moving spikes, drawing sharp curves through the snow and sleet, you ride your digital cycle narrowly through the forest of gargantuan iron teeth trying to crush you, and burst through one final gap in a spray of frost.

Your cycle lands on the mountain slop beyond in a whirlwind of snow as you turn it around and look at the creature behind you. It is a titanic worm, the bulk of its unimaginably huge body lodged in the bowels of the mountain, and its circular maw forming the "valley" you saw earlier. Hundreds of thousands of its spiked iron teeth are interlocked together, and the rows upon rows of fangs undulate disturbingly as the creature gnashes its teeth in frustration over not snagging a juicy soul for a meal.

"What will you do with it?"

You hear a gentle voice say. Somehow, her words carry clearly to you over the roar of the eternal blizzard.

It is a woman:

"It seems to have gone to considerable lengths to try and make a meal of you, Philip," she observes, motioning to the creature in the distance.
OOC
The demon does not have any way to attack you at range (hence why it is dependent on luring prey into its maw). It is reasonably tough but will eventually succumb to your attacks, so you can describe defeating it without rolling if you want to.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Qora

"You are not going to kill me?!" Ziaahak asks, her jaw wide open. "What manner of a fool leaves defeated enemies alive to plot and seek vengeance?"

You reappear atop the catwalk where you left Simon, and he comes running towards you. "You were amazing," he whispers.

Down below on the factory floor, Ziaahak stands shakily, hesitates, then speaks at last.

"If you truly bear me no grude... I will leave in peace and never cross your path. But I reject your pity," she hisses in anger, looking up at you. "I will not accept your charity. This mercy will be bought."

"Roulette covertly let slip the Ozirian nanotoxin into the hands of Cooper's pawns, the Banshees and the Exterminators. Then she sent her minions to fight them, to be their saviors. It was to be a brilliant plan. The Banshees would kill you and we would rout the Exterminators, and among the underworld of the city the name of Roulette would be raised high as that of liberator, protector. All foiled by you and the canine, of course."

"Her plots are ruined, but now she plans to wait for Cooper and his corrupt master to destroy you before making the next move. Cooper has been sowing the seeds of unrest wherever he can. Funding anti-alien bigots, hamstringing investigations into their activities, even letting weapons and tools slip into the hands of anyone he thinks will cause trouble for you. He is making ready for his master to welcome the Incarnate of War and the Armada of the Stellar Imperium."

"To welcome the Incarnate?" Simon asks.

"Naturally," Ziaahak says. "Is it not obvious? That stirring up conflict would please the embodiment of War and attract its attention?"

"But the Incarnate will destroy Earth as it did Magna-Lor!"

Ziaahak falls silent for a moment. When she speaks again it is with a sadness beyond words.

"When the Incarnate approached my world... there were those among my people who cheered. They cared not about the destruction of our nation, our people, our traditions. They saw only opportunity for an eternity of conquest, a lifetime of gorging themselves on the spoils of war. They willingly joined the ranks of the Armada. I will never forgive them for that."

"Men like Cooper and his shadowy master think the same way. They are saakmaar, feeding on the rotting scraps left in the wake of predators. The coming of the Incarnate must be the opportunity of a lifetime for him." She shakes her head. "That... is all the useful knowledge I have to offer. Poor payment, but it will have to do. Our paths will not cross again."

She turns to leave.
OOC

You can speak to Ziaahak, or you can end the scene at any time by leaving.
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

"I accept your repayment, Ziaahak," Qora says, "Go in peace."

again scooping up Simon, Qora looks to him.

"I do not know how we got here, but hopefully the others are not far."

she tries to keep her frustration from the boy, how being without Sparky deprives her of senses she'd taken for granted, and unlike during the Iron Curtain event, Qora's life is not in dire peril, meaning she's had no distraction from this mounting discomfort. were she to describe it to a human, it wouldn't be like being blind or deaf, but a loss of sense all the same, all the more unsettling in its quiet.

but again, she pushes it out of mind, and kicks open a fire door to outside, to press onward in their journey, unable to tell is this encounter was real, mere illusion, or perhaps prophecy...
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Kisai
HP: 5, Condition: Bruised

Philip drives up the side of the valley/mouth and continues going up when he reaches the edge. The cycle fades away and Philip turns into a reverse roll and sticks the landing in a move meant entirely to show off to... well nobody.

He straightens himself and turns back toward the beast as the voice almost surprises him. He looks the woman over. Not quite what he expected.

"Put it out of its misery," he says, pointing his newly reformed cane at the center where the bait is. A blast shoots out from the tip and shatters the spikes and ground at the center.

"As mercifully as possible," he concludes. He focuses his attention back on the creature. Letting the energy build-up at the end of the staff, he fires it at the center of the shattered area, striking at the soft underbelly beneath it. The one weak spot the creature had - where it fed.

"I can't leave it to lure others in, and starving it to death is just inhuman," he says while watching it, to make sure it died quickly.

Finally, he turns back to the woman. "Philip Saito, at your service, he says with a bow. "But you probably already know that."

"And you are?
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Moonlight
OOC
You can counter with the same skill again. However I'm going to have to say that repeatedly using the same skill incurs a penalty (-2 the 2nd time, then -5 the 3rd, as the opponent wises up to your tricks). Luckily, in this case either skill is enough to counter. I will rule that it's Persuasion, so you can use Insight the next round if you wish, provided you describe it appropriately.

At the end of round 2, you now have two successes, to Cooper's zero. You only need 1 more.
The Governor closes his eyes, musing over your words, before eventually clearing his throat. He does not respond to you at once, but instead turns to Cooper and says, "Your Honor, I think this young person has a good point. This is a risky course of action - we would be better served..."

Cooper's face practically blows up like a red party balloon being inflated as he senses you are beginning to sway the Governor. He turns sharply on one food and gestures grandiosely to the watching media, and a hundred camera lenses swivel to focus on him.

"Ladies and Gentlemen!" he proclaims. "Today, we of the State Assembly are gathered here to settle a matter of the utmost urgency. Following the brazen attack on the refugee camp today morning -- during which terrorists nearly deployed an earthquake device that would have shattered the San Andreas fault under the city, utterly destroying it -- it has become obvious that our status as a Sanctuary City has brought great danger to its populace."

Cooper then goes on a completely ridiculous, buzzword-laden speech designed to sound both perfectly reasonable and at the same time subtly insinuate that alien refugees are responsible for everything from global warming to terrorism.

But, though the good mayor thinks he is going on the offensive, you realize that this also leaves him vulnerable to counterattack. If you can shoot down his arguments before the cameras and show that they are politically risky, you will deal a severe blow not only to his position but also to the willingness of the assembled human leaders to obey his will.
OOC
For round 3, Cooper attempts to demonstrate the strength of his political position to the media in response, using Exertise: Politics.

1d20+12: 32 [1d20=20]
Make a DC 32 skill check with an appropriate skill to counter his check result of 32.
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Ysariel wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:14 pm Gelert
Armada Supercarrier -- Trophy Room
"That tomorrow can be better."
The broken ring - the one from which you received the video recording - starts to glow with a blue light.
"That if the effort is put in, things can be kinder, more fair, and happier. For Everyone."
The shattered rings begin pulsing. Hundreds of them, thousands of them, pulse bright blue in sync with your Ring of Hope.
"But sometimes that means that someone small has to be willing to stand up to a big bully... and from way down here I have to say they don't make bullies much bigger than you."
A thousand beams of blue light shoot from each of the shattered rings to you and a blinding blue glow erupts about your body. The symbol of the Guardians of Hope -- Pandora's jar -- appears beneath your feet in a perfect circle over a mile wide, and from it rises a pillar of blue light that blasts all the way to the ceiling of the cavernous trophy hall. The shadowy reaches of this shrine to death and wanton conflict are filled with azure radiance. The mighty Incarnate himself recoils from the glow as though it burns him.

Through the glow, you see and smell all around you thousands, millions of ethereal figures. There are rodents and eagles, lizards and tortoises, felines and canines. You see the fox who appeared in the recording earlier, and he smiles and winks at you. You see in the distance the great blue bird you once saw in a dream, and she nods approvingly at you. You are surrounded by the infinite ranks of all the Guardians who have ever lived and died.

"WHAT TREACHERY IS--"

The Guardians speak as one, and their voices, gentle and harmonious, drown out that of Kaak-Shar.

"Though Famine hound us and Hate burn us;
War torment us and Death end us;
Though the universe be dark and grim,
The Light of Hope will never dim!"

The guardians raise claws, wings, tentacles, and a million assorted appendages, and you feel massive power flow into you. Incredible, unimaginable power, power like you have never dreamed of before.

"Kill it! Kill the canine!" you hear a terrified voice yell.

The Armada's infinite, invincible armies open fire. A hail of gunfire, energy weapons and missiles that would obliterate a city fall on you. They bounce off you like raindrops off a windshield. The bombardment wrecks Kaak-Shar's trophy room, melting ancient weapons and setting off city-busting ammunition, and you are unharmed.

"INCOMPETENTS!" roars the Incarnate, making a sweeping gesture with his hand that sends fleets of attack scraft careening out of control. "I SHALL SQUASH THIS INSECT MYSELF!"

You see clearly through the aura of blinding blue light. Ahead of you, the Incarnate raises a terrible two-handed sword the size of a mountain peak. Behind you, the Guardians begin to fade out, one by one. This is your battle, your moment, your struggle.

You remember the words of Adrian Eldritch, Earth's Master Mage: "You cannot fight War with war."
OOC

This is an unusual combat. The purpose is not to win, but to learn how to fight the Incarnate of War through experience. Learn well and remember your experience, for the day will come when you need it and the stakes are infinitely higher.

You become PL X2 (per the Cosmic Handbook):
  • All your traits except Immunity have a +40 bonus to them. All your powers are 40 ranks higher. In short, add a +40 bonus to every roll you make.
  • Once every round, you can power stunt for free any power with your regular descriptors or with the descriptor of Hope.
  • Any character that is not at least PL X is essentially helpless to you. You deal with them as you see fit without rolling.
Turn Order
-- Gelert *
-- Kaak-Shar, War Incarnate, Conquerer of Conquerers

You are up
Gelert draws up the immense power that is now flowing through him and lets it build up as he considers the words of Earth's Master Mage. While he could throw this kind of power at Kaak-Shar, sheer power and brute force aren't going to be the right tools to end this threat once and for all.

Well in that case it was time to start probing for weaknesses. Gelert looked passed the towering colossus to the Armada. The endless fleets and armies of war incarnate. The Conqueror of Conquerors pride and joy.
Well what is a tyrant without people to lord over? What is a is a warmonger without armies to throw into conflict?

Gelert draws upon the hopes and dreams of every being that was trampled beneath this unyielding war machine, across countless planets and then hurls in at Kaak-Shar and the Armada like a tidal wave. Every ship, vehicle and weapon was obliterated, every soldier disabled and subdued but still alive. An act of mercy to stick in the craw of the heartless Incarnate.

"The Game's not so fun when its your toys getting broken, huh Mr. K?"

OOC: Boosted version of Gelert's Blast: Shapeable Area Damage. So Blast: Shapeable Area Damage 49 i suppose.
And since only the incarnate can actually fight Gelert right now he's going to destroy the Armada but spare the enemy troops.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Nightbird

"NO, NO, YOU SEE. WE DO NOT HANG AROUND DIFFERENT PEOPLE. PEOPLE ARE ALL THE SAME: FILTH AND DIRT AND HYPOCRITES."

A terrible laughter echoes from all about you as Knightfire advances. The light from the police cruisers cast his shadow against the facade of the Capitol building: a tremendous, hunched and hooded form, claw-like hands extended and sharp fangs protruding from his jaws. "I ONCE FOUGHT AGAINST THE ENCROACHMENT OF THE MONGREL RACES ON THE SOVEREIGNTY OF THE WHITE MAN. BUT I LOST, AND I KEPT LOSING, AND I ASKED: WHY? AND THEN I WAS SHOWN THE LIGHT. THERE ARE NO TRUE MEN LEFT. THEY HAVE CONSORTED WITH THE HOMOSEXUALS AND THE SUBHUMANS AND THE BLEEDING HEARTS. THEIR VERY LINEAGE IS TAINTED AND SOILED. THEY MUST ALL BE PURIFIED IN CLEANSING FIRE."

He raises both his hands to attack again, but before he can unleash his assault, you dart in and easily knock him off his feet, flattening him on the ground with tremendous force. His hood is thrown back, and you see under it the face of an ordinary man - another misguided civilian. A ghostly mist seeps from his mouth and nose, rising into a spectral form in the air.

"YOU WILL SEE WHY I AM RIGHT, LITTLE BIRD," whispers Knightfire. "YOU WILL SEE... IN SHAMBHALA."

The wraith dissipates. From behind the barricade, police SWAT officers are cautiously advancing to apprehend the man sprawled on the ground before you. A host, you realize. Someone embittered and toxic enough to serve as a vessel for the spirit of hatred.
OOC
1d20+9: 13 [1d20=4]
That is 2 degrees of failure, so Knightfire is defeated and escapes, per Rogue rules, and combat ends.
Just as the police reach the man on the ground, you are swamped by the media, rushing forward in a tide of humanity to surround you with mics and cameras.

"Nightbird," one of them asks. "Can you comment on this stunning development? Do you think tonight's rally was orchestrated by anti-alien extremists or is this supernatural phenomenon to blame?" she gestures at the now-unconscious body of the man on the ground.
OOC
You can answer the media's questions. Alternately, you can ignore them and join Moonlight's scene instead (if you do, you enter on the next round, and you can make checks as aid actions to help her in the skill challenge.)
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Qora

Simon seems distracted himself as he watches Ziaahak leave. But he smiles up at you as you scoop him up.

"You're right," he says. "They're probably not far... and even if they are, I'm sure they're doing fine." In his palm, the drill-shaped device be brought with him from Lor pulses blue.
You open the door. The handle is warm to your touch, and you even hear and feel and see (with your special senses) the rumble of a passing cargo truck on the expressway beyond.

But when you open it, there is only a black darkness, and icy cold snow rushes in to surround you and Simon. It envelopes you, blots out the warehouse, and suddenly, you are somewhere else.
OOC
You successfully complete your scene. You gain 2 HP, and your conduct is judged worthy by the ancient powers standing guard over Shambhala. You will rejoin the others once they complete their individual scenes.