Adventures Assemble! OOC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Gilliam

Re: Adventures Assemble! OOC

Post by Gilliam »

Made a small edit to my last post that Nightbird shared what she was seeing of Lucy's forces.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Hello. I am very sorry. I have been sick again for the last 2 weeks, and just been spending a lot of time sleeping and lying down. Immediately after coming off antibiotics I got another UTI and I am not sure what is wrong with me. The good news is, I did improve over the past week and am in much less pain now.

At this point, I have more or less been continuously sick in some form since early February. I am also essentially working more for less money at this point, and I don't see much hope that my situation will improve in the near future. However, this is manageable if I can just get healthy again. I still want to continue this game and will make a serious effort to.

In order to improve pacing and reduce non-essential combat I am reducing Gelert and Moonlight's scene's requirements to 5 successes before 3 failures, thus a maximum of 8 turns.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Hello. This is to keep you updated on what is going on with this game.

Right now, I am in an abnormally busy period at work because I have to both make up classes that were missed during the lockdown and run extra classes to prepare students for their finals, and this is going to last approximately until the end of September, when the academic year draws to a close here. My workload is over 150% of normal, and it is taking a toll on me. To make things worse, my classes are heavily concentrated in the weekends. My workday on Sunday is 11.5 hours, starting at 8.30am and ending at 8pm. I come home emotionally drained and resentful and exhausted at my situation and I can't find the energy to be creative. I spend all of Monday in a daze doing nothing productive, Tuesday getting groceries and laundry, and on Wednesday the workweek starts again. The only good news in all of this is that my infection has significantly cleared up and has been in remission for weeks now, so I am not constantly in pain.

The pace of this game is not acceptable right now. You all deserve much more than 1 post a month, and you also deserve posts that are well-written and provide engaging gameplay. However, I'm just not able to provide that right now, and have not been able to for most of this year. So, I will be taking time off from all games until Sep 30. By then my workload will have eased and I will be able to give this game the attention it deserves. This will also give me time to sort out the last remaining plotlines and the conclusion, attend to some bookkeeping like sorting out everyone's HP scores, and write Amethyst's scenes which are a big part of why I enjoy this game.

While taking long breaks from games in progress is risky, at this point, some of you are already waiting multiple weeks for an opportunity to post, which is not fair. This way, at least we have a schedule for getting the game back on track and you are not left in limbo for long periods at a time. I still intend to see this game to its conclusion with whatever players are willing to continue.

Coming up, there will be 2 parts to the finale. There will be both a final, game mechanical battle with Lucienne which will reward good planning and strategy rather than piling on the attacks, and also 2 scenes primarily of roleplaying during which the conflict's finale is played out, because it is not only critical for the heroes to triumph over Lucienne physically, but also morally, and the triumph will be complete and unambiguous. The heroes will suffer an extreme reversal, however things are always darkest before the dawn. Then Season 2 will end, and the ending will set the tone for Season 3. I will see you again on Sep 30 to see this game to the conclusion of its current arc.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

And I am back from my break and much more well-rested. I wasn't able to get the post I had in mind completed by today, however I will be writing over the weekend to get the game moving again. Thanks for your patience during this difficult period.
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Do we all make the same type of check in the same round i.e. persuasion round 1 then say intimidation in round 2?
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

I debated a long while whether to post this considering the current state of the world. Lucienne's language is deliberately divisive and inflammatory, and I know many people have had enough of that. However, after some thought I decided to go ahead and post it. Lucienne preys on the natural human weaknesses of tribalism and prejudice. Her whole point is that the divisiveness of human language justifies the righteousness of her cause. It is not meant as a veiled statement directed at any of you players.

Most importantly, she is also wrong. As you'll see.

In other news, as you know, my recurring UTI flared up severely without warning at the start of November and I have been out of action for much of the last 2 weeks. I did visit a doctor, and started to improve significantly a few days ago, so I hope to continue and regain the momentum we got when I returned from break in October. Thanks for being patient.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Hello. I am sorry for vanishing for a month again. December is traditionally a busy month for me with holiday classes, and various worries over my job and finances and health have kept sapping my energy to post. The good news is that my chronic UTI's are no longer as serious as they were in 2020, although I am not fully well yet. I plan to see a urologist once it is safer to visit a hospital.

I realize that randomly vanishing for a month here and there is not good for the health of the game. I can't promise I will be able to keep up a consistent posting rate as the situation in RL is not likely to be stable for the rest of 2021. However I will try to give warning and stay in regular contact if I must take a break.

I am working on posts now (and changing some plans for the remainder of the battle, as I had some ideas when I was away). I will resume posting ASAP although it might not happen during the weekend.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

And I am returned at last. I have been trying to cope with life, and also thinking seriously about this game and whether I still enjoy the hobby, and have decided to still try and make room for it in my life.

I sense that interest in the game has waned, so if any of you no longer wish to play, it is alright to drop out at any time, even now if you like. Let me know at any time.

I plan to run this scene to the end with whatever players remain. And then, I will begin Season 3 by running a short adventure, tentatively titled "The Great Brain Robbery". I would like to move away from grand conspiracies and real-life issues, and recapture some of the lighthearted fun that this game brought me in the early days, which was one of the few times I have unconditionally enjoyed play-by-post roleplaying. So this is an opportunity to soft reboot the game with a different tone and a different style of adventure. You are welcome to change characters if you like as I also sense that some of you may have lost interest in your old ones.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

I am always interested in your games. I still would like to change characters at the end of this story, but I need to stop trying to recapture past successes. It never works.

So I will work on something new for the game moving forward.
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

I agree as well, I have always enjoyed the games you run and keen to continue. I will think about whether a change in tone means that it is time for Nightbird to exit stage left :)
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Its back? Huzzah!

Also I find the idea that I would change to a character other than Gelert laughable.
The Team is not just not the same without the talking corgi.

I will post my toughness save and response to the cavalry arriving soon, unfortunately I am in the middle of a busy period of work but after Wednesday things drop off dramatically.
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

I've made my rolls, forgetting its not my turn. Not sure if I'll switch, but as you say, a soft reboot is probably for the best, and if so, I want to raise the notion of scaling back to PL10/150 pp, so you're not overworking to find threats for us
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

kreuzritter wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:27 pmI've made my rolls, forgetting its not my turn. Not sure if I'll switch, but as you say, a soft reboot is probably for the best, and if so, I want to raise the notion of scaling back to PL10/150 pp, so you're not overworking to find threats for us
I would not object to this at all.

There is also something appealing about the Champions being reformed by the Corgi of Hope after this battle.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

I'm still in, roleplaying is fun in this campaign and setting. Hhm, a change in tone would be a good excuse after we wrap up this season for Moonlight to be sent home by rulers of Wonderland and have someone else replace her. Need to think about what kind of character I wish to try next, maybe an artificer-style magic user with a small array of magic items. *goes off to think*
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

kenseido wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:27 pmThere is also something appealing about the Champions being reformed by the Corgi of Hope after this battle.
To be clear, I meant a new team of Champions.