[OOC] Critical Mass (2e oneshot)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
FuzzyBoots

[OOC] Critical Mass (2e oneshot)

Post by FuzzyBoots »

As per my reply here, I'm willing to help out with the desire for a 2E game. Tentatively, I'm putting forward Critical Mass, a 3rd party module I own that's pretty self-contained. If that goes well, I may be willing to branch out a bit, maybe run something longer like Time of Crisis or Church and State.

I'm looking for a PL 10/150 PP build, and at least three players, at most six. The usual rules apply about not trying to create a broken character but rather an interesting one to play. No tradeoffs over 5, exotic saves (Fortitude, Reflex, and Will) total should be 24 at most (averaging PL-2) to mirror how the Green Ronin characters were built and to allow non-damage effects to be more useful.

I'll "recruit" through August 3rd, although it sounds like we already have sufficient candidates even if there's no new interest.

Current Submissions
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Poodle

Re: Critical Mass (2e oneshot) - Recruiting through August 3rd

Post by Poodle »

Cool... How four colour do you want it? I have a few ideas that are a bit greyer than 4 colour or we can go with something totally spandex and sunshine?
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Poodle wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:29 am Cool... How four colour do you want it? I have a few ideas that are a bit greyer than 4 colour or we can go with something totally spandex and sunshine?
I'm looking for heroic characters willing to work with others. So no loners or "but I only kill bad guys" characters.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I'm pretty interested but.. have no strong concept of that generation of the game.

Would you be willing to hold my hand during the mechanic parts of the game?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Spectrum wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:57 pm I'm pretty interested but.. have no strong concept of that generation of the game.

Sure. I'd be glad to. FWIW, for the sake of giving people hooks, I'm setting in the Freedom City universe, just with the assumption that none of them are going to step in unless things go horribly wrong. They're off-planet fighting aliens or something. :-D
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Coriolis

Corey Rodriguez grew up on the mean streets of Veracruz in Mexico where sharp eyes and quick reflexes were needed to survive but quick hands let you have a less-than-miserable existence. While young he got into the art of Capoeira taking naturally to the spins and twists. Too naturally.

His powers developed as a teen. Minor at first, but enough to let him conduct a little crime spree. He was stopped and caught by a duo of prominent Mexican superheroes, a luchador-themed bruiser of incredible strength and stamina and his partner, a flamboyant, music-loving sonic controller. They took tutorship of the boy and trained him. They turned his life around and inspired him to dedicate his life to service of justice and the Mexican people.

Corey is visiting several sites internationally at the start of whatever troubles or adventures plague them currently.

Complications:
Fame - Coriolis is a well-known international figure (and indeed, his flight speed allows him to operate internationally if needed). He's liable to be swamped by fans.
Fame-seeking - Corey is famous and he likes it. He drinks in the adoration at every opportunity.
Motivation (Seeking Justice and Doing Good) - Corey is dedicated to doing the right thing, now.
Responsibility (People of Mexico) - Corey has never forgotten his roots.
Checkered past - There are some who mistrust his past and the skills he developed thieving as a child and teen.

PL10 150

str 10
Con 14 +2
Dex 18 +4
Wis 18 +4
Int 10
Cha 10

Saves

Fort 2+6pp = 8
Dex 4+6pp = 10
Will 4+2pp = 6

Tough 2con+3suit = 5 up to 15 with Spinning

Combat
initiative: +8
Attack 6[12pp]
Defense 4[8pp]+1Dodge = 5, 2 flat-footed, up to 15 with spin defense

Feats: Acrobatic bluff, Equipment 2, Evasion 2, Uncanny Dodge (Detect), Move by Action, Prone fighting, Skill Mastery(Acrobatics, Notice, Concentration, Stealth), Dodge, Improved Initiative

Equipment: Thermal Kevlar Flight Suit (Protection 3, cold/hot environment immunity, Commlink, rebreather, Gas mask, Urban Camo, Caltrops)

Skills: Acrobatics 12(+16), Notice 12(+16), Sense Motive 8(+12), Diplomacy 6(+6), Bluff 10(+10), Concentration 12(+16), Investigate 3(+3), Language (Spanish), Disable Device 8(+8), Sleight of Hand 6(+10), Stealth 6(+10)

Powers

Legs-nado; Flight 2 [4pp]
{Corey's lower body seems to whirl, generating lift. 250 ft/mv}

Sense spin;
Detect movement (Mental), ranged, radius, Accurate, Extended [6pp]

Spin Control Array [base24+7AEs = 31pp]
Body-nado;
*Flight 6 linked
*Feats: Fast Overrun, Improved Overrun , Improved Throw, Improved Trip, Accurate(tripping) 2, Knockback 1, Extended Reach 1 linked
*Damage, Aura 1
{Corey's Whole body spins allowing incredible movement allowing him to knock in to and scatter opponents or slam devastatingly. Anyone who touches him in this state has a small chance of damage. Total Flight 8(25K ft/mv).}
AE: Tornado's Path; Damage, Area-Trail linked Blur, Powerloss Drawback-Rapid Senses, linked Mobility* pr 10
{Corey traces a path through enemies in a storm of flailing limbs. His rapid spinning gives a hazy outline opponents (targeting by sight) have a penalty to hit him if they can't follow the rapid spinning. Otherwise he's just hard to hit with casual or reactionary attacks. *Mobility is feat from Mastermind's Manual [if game doesn't use opportunity attacks change to Improved Concealment instead].}
AE: Straw though Pole; Throwing Mastery 10, Indirect 3, Homing 2, Precise shot, Ranged Pin, Improved Critical 4, Accurate(Throwing) 2, Improved Range
{Focusing his power and launching a seemingly normal item with a single spin, Corey controls the curves of its flight path to hit with devastating effect, even from an unexpected direction. He can hit precisely enough to pin foes.}
AE: Deflect (Fast & Slow), Distracting, Ranged, Subtle 2, Improved Range, Second Chance(Toughness Vs. Failed deflected attacks) pr 10
{Controlling the Curving Trajectories, Corey causes incoming projectiles to miss. This process is entirely mental for the curve-controller and even attacks against him that get through are likely to be harmless glances.}
AE: Dust-nados; Obscure(All senses), Selective, Drawback-Requires Dust/Detritus,etc.in area pr 5 {100ft radius}
{Corey stirs to fill the air with dust, debris, and detritus to get in the eyes and noses and ears of those he selects giving chosen targets mini dust devils of their own to follow them within the area and leaving others.}
AE: Clinging Curving Chaos; Snare, Flaws: Close, Full-Action, Extras: Area-Shapeable, Backlash, Feats: Tether, Chokehold, Obscure sight, Subtle(Tethers are mental) pr 10
{Corey unleashes his power in a meandering path, if someone doesn't get out of the way then whorls of air and force vectors impede them, possibly binding them entirely. They can try to break out (and, in truth, a powerful enough blow or sets of blows can disrupt the energy/air whorls) but they may find their efforts curved back on themselves. Corey can also mentally control the binding forces directing it to steal the target's breath or sight.}
AE: Brain Spin; Stun pr 10, Accurate 2, Power Attack, Sedation
{With a Touch, Corey's power scrambles the internal organs and mechanisms of a target. Effect is heightened if he touches a more vulnerable spot.}
AE: Punch-nado; Damage, Autofire, Accurate 2, All out Attack, Fast Feint* pr 10
{This is a simple matter of Corey next to a target, spinning to hit many times a second. He can commit to the attack more fully and he can use this increased spinning to enhance his acrobatic feints. *Fast Feint is from Masterminds Manual.}

Personal Spin:
Defense 10, dynamic [21+DAE = 23pp]
DAE: Spinning 10
{While the control of the personal spinning forces will let Corey take his defense from 5 up to 15 incrementally, the balanced Spinning power will bring Toughness from 15 to 5 conversely. He never breaks power caps.}

Attributes 20 + Saves 14 + Combat 20 + Feats 11 + Skills 21 + Powers 64 = 150

This is close to a visual. Corey is way less muscular, more wiry.

Out of Costume:
Last edited by Flynnarrel on Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Cool. I was kinda thinking of a nightcrawler-ish character. I suppose there won't be too much overlap apart from fighting styles maybe. Awesome powers. I really like what you did with the dynamic defence.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:26 am Coriolis
Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:26 amSaves

Fort 2+8pp = 10
Dex 4+8pp = 12
Will 4+6pp = 10
I would appreciate it if you'd trim your saves down as per the original post to total 24 at most. 2E allowed up to PL+5 for the saves, but the actual builds done by Green Ronin averaged PL-2, and I think it helps to make non-damage effects more useful.
Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:26 amBody-nado; Flight 6 linked Fast Overrun, Improved Overrun , Improved Throw, Improved Trip, Accurate(tripping) 4, linked Damage, Aura 1
{Corey's Whole body spins allowing incredible movement allowing him to knock in to and scatter opponents or slam devastatingly. Anyone who touches him in this state has a small chance of damage. Total Flight 8(25K ft/mv).}
Just to be sure I've got this broken down correctly, 12 pp for Flight, 8 pp of feats, and then 4 pp for Damage 1 with Aura?
Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:26 amAE: Tornado's Path; Damage, Area-Trail pr 10
{Corey traces a path through enemies in a storm of flailing limbs.}
Trail Damage is a bit of a mess, in that it requires going through the enemies, but d20 does have rules for using Tumble (or in this case, Acrobatics) or doing that, so we should probably be OK.

The rest of the powers look alright, although I have my usual question when every power depends on high ranks of Accurate, is he only combat-capable when using his powers? If you could bring it back to 2 ranks of Accurate, I'd be much obliged.

I'll double-check the math in Hero Lab tonight to be sure I don't miss anything, but he seems alright.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:34 pm
Spectrum wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:57 pm I'm pretty interested but.. have no strong concept of that generation of the game.

Sure. I'd be glad to.
Thank you! I'm looking forward to it.

Since I'm a late addin, thinking that I should hold back until other people have picked. Right now I'm thinking of a lantern jawed righteous hero of Science! Golden Era hero in the line of Doc Savage or Tom Strong.
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

I'm very interested, as I actually enjoy 2E over 3E, things like Attack & Defense over Fighting, and such, plus a skill selection that is both more generous, and more detailed. So totally stoked to play some 2E.

As for a character concept, I am leaning towards an acrobatic, dexterous, ranged combatant, something akin to Bullseye. A brief synopsis would be that he was a renowned surgeon, who, one evening, was working in the ER when some gangers brought in the leader of their crew, who had sustained life threatening injuries and demanded the surgeon, Dr. Jack Shepherd save his life. One of the gangers kept a gun on Shepherd for the whole procedure, the stand off was televised as police cordoned off the ER. The rival gang, who had shot the gangers currently holding Shepherd hostage, found out that they hadn't killed off the crew's leader and stormed the ER. A shoot out occurred in the operating theatre which resulted in Shepherd getting shot in the head.

Miraculously Shepherd survived, the trauma however, had caused some sort of disruption to the somatic-sensory region of his brain. His sense of touch, balance, and motor control was, at first, severely reduced, through extensive physiotherapy he regained the ability to walk, and in the months to come, it soon became apparent that his neural structure was re-mapping itself. This led to an acute case of hyperkinesthia, Shepherd's somatic system was working exponentially faster, able to react to stimuli better than most olympic-level athletes. The sensory systems were able to better process data, with an almost inhuman level of accuracy, allowing him to focus on the data pertinent to any desired action and almost instinctively account for a multitude of variables that would impact his performance.

So basically, I am thinking basically a bad ass normal, highly accuracy & defense shifted, with the ability to apply a number of advantages to a single 'Throw Anything' type power. Most likely purchased as a strength Effect, with Ranged, Variable (Blunt, Pierce, Slash) & Precise. Then some sort of complication that impacts throw anything, requiring the presence of small objects to use as weapons, which could conceivably be deprived in a capture scenario, but unlikely to impact him outside of that situation.

Anyways, like I said, I am pretty stoked, and should have a build up by this evening.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:28 am I would appreciate it if you'd trim your saves down as per the original post to total 24 at most. 2E allowed up to PL+5 for the saves, but the actual builds done by Green Ronin averaged PL-2, and I think it helps to make non-damage effects more useful.
Done. Apologies for missing that in your first post.
FuzzyBoots wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:28 am Just to be sure I've got this broken down correctly, 12 pp for Flight, 8 pp of feats, and then 4 pp for Damage 1 with Aura?
Correct. I formatted to try to break it down better.
FuzzyBoots wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:28 am Trail Damage is a bit of a mess, in that it requires going through the enemies, but d20 does have rules for using Tumble (or in this case, Acrobatics) or doing that, so we should probably be OK.
Does this mean you're using Opportunity attacks?
FuzzyBoots wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:28 am The rest of the powers look alright, although I have my usual question when every power depends on high ranks of Accurate, is he only combat-capable when using his powers? If you could bring it back to 2 ranks of Accurate, I'd be much obliged.
Done.
FuzzyBoots wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:28 am I'll double-check the math in Hero Lab tonight to be sure I don't miss anything, but he seems alright.
Thank you for the quick review.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Note to self... Get build up as fast as possible so my character idea doesn't get used before I can get one up.
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

Still a work in progress; background & complications to come!

Allow me to introduce ... Harrier

Civilian Identity: Jack Shepherd
Harrier

Power Level: 10; Power Points Spent: 150/150

STR: +5 (20), DEX: +6 (22), CON: +5 (20), INT: +2 (14), WIS: +3 (16), CHA: +1 (12)

Tough: +7, Fort: +6, Ref: +9, Will: +9

Skills: Acrobatics 9 (+15), Diplomacy 9 (+10), Gather Information 9 (+10), Knowledge (current events) 8 (+10), Knowledge (life sciences) 8 (+10), Language 1 (+1), Medicine 7 (+10), Notice 7 (+10), Profession (Surgeon) 7 (+10), Sense Motive 7 (+10)

Feats: Skill Mastery (Gather Information, Life Sciences, Medicine, Surgeon), Well-Informed

Powers:
Hyper Kinesthetic Agility & Co-ordination (Super-Movement 3) (slow fall, wall-crawling 2 (full speed), Feats: Acrobatic Bluff, Attack Focus (ranged) 6, Dodge Focus 5, Evasion 2, Improved Ranged Disarm, Power Attack, Set-Up, Uncanny Dodge (Visual); Limited (Wall Crawling: Begin & End Movement on level Surface) [2 ranks only], Limited (Slow Fall: Maximum 30' Distance) [1 rank only])
Impossible Reflexes (Protection 2) (+2 Toughness; Limited (Not if denied Dodge Bonus))
Unerring Accuracy ((Strength Bonus) Strike 5) (Penetrating, Range 2 (perception); Precise, Variable Descriptor (Narrow group - Blunt, Piercing, Slashing))
. . Rapid Fire Fullisade ((Strength Bonus) Strike 5) (Alternate; Autofire (interval 2, max +5), Penetrating, Range (ranged); Precise, Variable Descriptor (Narrow group - Blunt, Pierce, Slash))
. . Unbalancing Fullisade (Trip 5) (Alternate; Shapeable Area (5 cubes of 125 cu. ft. (5x5x5) - Targeted), Autofire (interval 2, max +5); Precise, Variable Descriptor (Narrow group - Blunt, Slash, Pierce))
. . Wide Angle Fullisade ((Strength Bonus) Strike 5) (Alternate; Shapeable Area (5 cubes of 125 cu. ft. (5x5x5) - Targeted), Autofire (interval 2, max +5), Range (ranged); Precise, Variable Descriptor (Narrow group - Blunt, Slash, Pierce))

Attack Bonus: +9 (Ranged: +15, Melee: +9, Grapple: +14)

Attacks: Unarmed Attack, +9 (DC 20)
Unerring Accuracy, Perception Range (DC 20; Penetrating 5)
Rapid Fire Fullisade, +15 (DC 20; Autofire; Penetrating 5)
Unbalancing Fullisade (Trip 5), +15 Targetted Shapeable Area 5x5' cubes (DC 15; Autofire)
Wide Angle Fullisade, +15 Targetted Shapeable Area 5x5' cubes (DC 20; Autofire)

Defense: +13 (Flat-footed: +4), Knockback: -3

Initiative: +6

Languages: American Sign Language, English, Native

Totals: Abilities 44 + Skills 18 (72 ranks) + Feats 2 + Powers 42 + Combat 34 + Saves 10 + Drawbacks 0 = 150
Complications:

Motivation: Sworn Oath: Shepherd swore the Hippocratic Oath when he first graduated graduated Medical School. However, after the incident at the East River Medical Centre which resulted in his cranial injury and the death of his intern, he has approached the Oath from a more classical purview. The excerpt stating that the physician will use their ability and knowledge to the betterment of the sick, protecting them from injury & injustice. Shepherd now views the violent, criminal element as a cancer, a sickness of society, and so he feels it his his duty to use his new found ability to excise that sickness, and prevent it from spreading to the vulnerable portions of society.

Honor: First, Do no Harm: Shepherd is, first & foremost, a physician, and so his oath to Do No Harm, conflicts with the activities of his heroic persona, Harrier. He takes every effort to limit the harm, the violence, he inflicts on the criminal elements he comes into contact with He is comfortable using his agility, mobility and stealth to his benefit, he will first ensure that any innocents are cleared from the area to prevent collateral damage, or provide his opponents with potential hostages. He will then attempt to separate and isolate his targets, engaging from stealth, or impossible angles, or from behind cover. First to disarm and distract them, then to subdue. He has not, yet, been put into a situation where he must choose between an attacker's and an innocent's life, and he hopes that he never finds himself in such a scenario.

Disability: Bullet in the Brain: Shepherd lives under the constant knowledge that the bullet still lodged in the posterior of his brain, adjacent his spinal column, could very well kill him if it shifts, or moves violently. As such, he is vulnerable to most Magnetic Attacks, and in addition to the effects of attacks with such a descriptor, he must also resist a Stun Effect equal to the Ranks of the Triggering Attack. He can spend a Hero Point to forgo the Disability for a Round, but this complication would be triggered with each successive attack or effect.

Addiction: Adrenalin Junkie: The knowledge of his own looming death or, at best, paralysis, due to the gunman's bullet lodged in his cortex, Shepherd currently lives his life to the fullest. Fast cars, extreme sports, and daring risks, he is living the life of a daredevil, despite the concern this causes among his friends, associates and colleagues.

Relationship: Jon Anderson: Jon Anderson is Madelin Anderson's fiance, or at least he was. Madeleine Anderson was Shepherd's intern who was fatally shot when he, himself was shot by the gunmen who held the ER and it's staff hostage. Anderson is an EMT at the East River Medical Centre, and worked closely with Shepherd during his extensive physio & rehabilitation program. Shepherd still feels responsible for the death of Madeleine, and tried to push Anderson away during his recovery. The EMT's dogged persistence wore down Shepherd's boundaries, and the two are now close friends, though Anderson has become concerned with Shepherd's recent recklessness and occasional bruises and injuries, questioning what his friend is doing in his off time.
Last edited by ZenGypsy on Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Really have no clue what I'm doing. Is this anywhere near valid and coherent?

Captain Amazing

Power Level: 10; Power Points Spent: 150/150

STR: +10 (30), DEX: +10 (30), CON: +10 (30), INT: +0 (10), WIS: +10 (30), CHA: +10 (30)

Tough: +10, Fort: +10, Ref: +10, Will: +10

Skills: Acrobatics 5 (+15), Diplomacy 5 (+15), Investigate 15 (+15), Sense Motive 5 (+15)

Feats: Accurate Attack, Aggressive Counter, Attack Flurry (Unarmed), Benefit (common sense), Benefit (organizational ties) (Police), Blind-Fight, Combat Awareness, Connected, Conspiracy Theorist, Contacts, Cult Hero (Civilians), Evasion 2, Eyes in the Back of the Head, Flurry of Blows/Rain of Steel/Rain of Arrows, Follow-Up Strike, Improved Critical 5 (Unarmed Attack), Inspire 5 (+5), Instant Up, Jack-of-All-Trades, Last Stand, Leadership, Luck 5, Martial Artist, Move-by Action, Powerhouse, Precise Strike, Rallying Cry, Rousing Speech (Diplomacy), Well-Informed

Attack Bonus: +0 (Ranged: +0, Melee: +0, Grapple: +10)

Attacks: Unarmed Attack, +0 (DC 25)

Defense: +0 (Flat-footed: +0), Knockback: -5

Initiative: +10

Languages: Native Language

Totals: Abilities 100 + Skills 8 (30 ranks) + Feats 42 + Powers 0 + Combat 0 + Saves 0 + Drawbacks 0 = 150

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at https://www.wolflair.com
Mutants & Masterminds, Second Edition is ©2005-2017 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Spectrum wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:26 pm Really have no clue what I'm doing. Is this anywhere near valid and coherent?
Um...
Spectrum wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:26 pmCaptain Amazing

STR: +10 (30), DEX: +10 (30), CON: +10 (30), INT: +0 (10), WIS: +10 (30), CHA: +10 (30)
That is a lot of Points spent on abilities.
Spectrum wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:26 pmTough: +10, Fort: +10, Ref: +10, Will: +10
As per the initial post, I'm looking to keep Reflex/Will/Fortitude to am average of PL-2.
Spectrum wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:26 pmSkills: Acrobatics 5 (+15), Diplomacy 5 (+15), Investigate 15 (+15), Sense Motive 5 (+15)
Maybe this will come together with a bio, but this feels like a grabbag of "useful skills". That said, you do have high ability scores and Jack off All Trades.
Spectrum wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:26 pmFeats: Accurate Attack, Aggressive Counter, Attack Flurry (Unarmed), Benefit (common sense), Benefit (organizational ties) (Police), Blind-Fight, Combat Awareness, Connected, Conspiracy Theorist, Contacts, Cult Hero (Civilians), Evasion 2, Eyes in the Back of the Head, Flurry of Blows/Rain of Steel/Rain of Arrows, Follow-Up Strike, Improved Critical 5 (Unarmed Attack), Inspire 5 (+5), Instant Up, Jack-of-All-Trades, Last Stand, Leadership, Luck 5, Martial Artist, Move-by Action, Powerhouse, Precise Strike, Rallying Cry, Rousing Speech (Diplomacy), Well-Informed
I'm guessing you have Hero Lab with the expansions. There are some redundant feats, and others that are particular to things like adding Attacks of Opportunity from Warriors and Warlocks.
Spectrum wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:26 pmAttack Bonus: +0 (Ranged: +0, Melee: +0, Grapple: +10)
No attack bonus at all?
Spectrum wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:26 pmDefense: +0 (Flat-footed: +0), Knockback: -5
No defense?

Please apologize me for being blunt, but this is not coherent. What's the concept behind this guy? And why is he playing at half PL?