G.A.M.E. Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e IC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Post Reply
EpicEclipse
Posts: 2297
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:06 pm

G.A.M.E. Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e IC)

Post by EpicEclipse » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:30 pm

It was a beautiful day. A few soft clouds dotting the cerulean summer sky. In the peak of the season, the heat was reaching the mid-thirties and the rain was abundant enough to keep potential forest fires at bay, though the entire region still has a red warning, with campfires being banned for the time being, much to the chagrin of visitors at the top of tourist season.

You all found yourself at Carroway Park in Kelowna, a large park right on the lake on the very edge of town. A little out of the way to get there, but completely worth it for the large shady trees, sandy beaches along the lake and the removed distance that drowns out the traffic in the distance. Just grassy fields, glimmering waters, the smell of barbacues and myriad of mobile food trailers and the sounds of local bands playing on a large pop-up stage.

This weekend happens to be a festival which has brought out all kinds of locals and tourists with the promises of great music, food and atmosphere in the heart of the Okanagan. And a promise delivered as great they were. They day was practically idyllic until suddenly everyone began to feel a pressure quickly ramping, like the sky itself was becoming solid and crushing everything to the ground before the pressure finally released with an incredible concussive wave that tore the ground and viciously pushed back the waterline several hundred meters all along the shore.

You all black out at some during this process and chaos of people panicking at this happening of the unknown, people clutching their children and trying desperately to find somewhere safe, some escape from whatever this was. Despite any attempts you make though, darkness takes you.

***

Some time late you awaken. The sterile glare of hospital lighting greets you and you find yourself in, unsurprisingly, a hospital bed. What is surprising, at least mildly, is you are not in a hospital room. Not like one you'd previously seen, as this one seems isolated. No windows, a single windowless door with an intercom buzzer next to it. There are also four other individuals here with you, all stirring around the same time.

There is medical equipment lightly pinging away, including a nurse call button on each of your bed, and a saline drip, presumably keeping you hydrated while you've been unconscious. None of you have your personal effects, just the pale blue hospital gown you would expect to find yourself in.
And here, we, go.

What I am looking for is a two part intro post that covers the characters actions before and during the event (the event, once people started panicking, was about a minute before you all lost consciousness), and then waking in this unknown location with the others.

mrdent12
Posts: 731
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:10 pm

Re: G.A.M.E. Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e IC)

Post by mrdent12 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:34 am

Rick Jones
HP: 1
CND: Fine


Being in a band was tough business and banks weren't exactly keen to loan bands money to buy instruments, gas, and such. Lucky for them, there was people like Rick. One of the newer local bands that just sprung up was playing at the festival and had missed a payment on a sizable loan for them, five thousand dollars. With the juice, it came out to nearly ten thousand now. The amount was small peanuts for Rick, but what kind of example would it set for his other clients if he let a small no name band skate on the loan or get leniency. it wasn't big time gamblers like before, but Rick liked the easy life here.

Making his way to the back of the stage area where the bands prepped, what security there was didn't even bother trying to stop him. They were local. They knew why he was there. They didn't want to get on Ricks bad side. If the band was going to be anywhere, they were going to be getting ready for the show. So, when they were in fact getting their guitars and drums unpacked it didn't surprise Rick in the slightest. With one look from him, Rick could have sworn they defecated in their pants. One of the trio was going to bolt, but the two band mates were smart and kept a hold of the attempting to flee member.

It had only been a few months, but Rick had a good operation going. He bought out a small time bar and had started getting a tidy stream of income from loaning out money or hosting poker games where he made even more loans. Word had also spread that if he didn't get paid back, bad things happened. At the start, Rick had to break a few arms and fingers. Now he just had to give a look.

With the music playing in the background and children playing with their families, Rick explained the finer points of borrowing from him making a point to show what happens if he didn't get his money in two days. Words just didn't do the repercussions justice. So, he broke the pinky of the drummer. Point mad, the band pleaded for an extension and claimed to have a gig lined up that paid well enough to make a payment. Rick wasn't having it. Before things could go much further though, it hit.

Whatever it was Rick didn't let it show that it bothered him as he had to keep a strong front up. They didn't call him a tough guy for nothing back in the day. He didn't give though when the band made a break for it knowing he had made his point and whatever was happening took precedence over a couple grand. Following the lead of everyone else, he tried to get clear of the area. Every step felt laboured and despite marshaling all his strength, he passed out or just faded to black.

Coming to in the windowless hospital room, he grunts a bit. Where was he? What happened? Who were these people with him? "Someone better tell me whats going. Any of you now whats going on? Last thing I remember was being at the festival.", says Rick in a very unhappy voice. Pushing the nurses button, talks directly into it. "Where am I?", he says grumpily with some force. Immediately though, he noticed a few things such as lack of visible wounds on his body, the IV drip needle area looking like he hadn't been poked at all, and a distinct lack of hunger or thirst.

User avatar
Doctor Malsyn
Posts: 2918
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:42 pm
Location: Thunderdome, Texas

Re: G.A.M.E. Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e IC)

Post by Doctor Malsyn » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:14 am

Jackson Grey
HP: 1
CND: Normal
<=>

Childish squealing permeated the air as a little girl with blonde curls dodged the grasping hands of a woman wearing dark sunglasses. In the background a man laughed from his position on a large beach towel decorated with rainbows, unicorns, icecream, and kittens. A family enjoying an afternoon just themselves and the world around them, a careless and jovial air surrounding them.

Jack turned away, nursing what remains of his latte. The meeting with that client had run much later then he expected, and was less productive then anything he could've accomplished just sitting at his desk for the same among of time. Worse, he ended up the one footing the bill, and the coffee's there were far too overpriced for the quality. Just how old was that barista anyway? Sixteen? He didn't look like he even knew what half that shop's menu even meant.

No, he told himself as he pinched the bridge of his nose. Another headache was fast approaching, if that strange pressure at the back of his ears had anything to say. It wasn't the kid's fault that led to him having a bad day. Not even that disastrous encounter could really take the full blame for it all. When he woke up that morning he just knew that something was off with today in particular. It was only now as he sat at the lonely park bench watching families have fun that it suddenly struck as to why.

It's their anniversary, today. Fourteen years now since that day at the beach down by Lake Eire where they held hands in front of a crowd and smiled. How young they had been. His father never approved, while her own was practically livid. When they came together there however, suddenly it all felt so right. They were just two dumb kids, barely out of high school, but they couldn't have been happier.

Tabby always loved visiting the beach when they got together and celebrated. Had they even ever come to this park since moving here, even once? Maybe they could. Not today. It was too late for today, and right now he wanted to be alone. It wasn't what he needed, but when was he ever going to get what he needs anymore?

...Why was there screaming?

<=>

-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-

There was a noise somewhere nearby, a strange buzz that lasted minutes before it slowly cut off. The darkness lasted for far longer, even though he knew he had to be awake by now. His eyelids weren't responding even though he tried as hard as he could to open them, even just a crack. The buzzing noise suddenly started again, coming from somewhere to his right. If only he could turn his open his eyes and look, he could figure out just what the hell it was and shut it off. Instead, the buzz died off again on it's own. Then it came back. Ending once more. Again. Again. Again.

A slow but constant pattern was forming in his head just when light started to slip through the cracks, as the signals his brain was sending out finally reached his eyes. They felt like were being weighed down by bricks though with just how slow it was taking to open them, like he was pulling at the shutters of a hanger bay just by himself. The buzz started again.

"Ssssssssssssssssssssssoooooooooooooooo-"

He tried with all his might to veer his head as fast as he could towards that strange slugish tone, taking in the hospital around him as the hours of struggle continued to drag on. With as much effort he was putting into his neck, something in it was starting to strain, and he could hear the sound of something popping.

It took him what felt like an hour. Then, all at once, the world snapped completely into focus.

"-one better tell me whats going. Any of you now whats going on? Last thing I remember was being at the festival."

Jack winced as he felt the pain in his neck, as if he had just given himself whiplash. What the hell was that?

He listened to the man finish his thoughts before he tried to gather his own, sitting himself up in his bed but not leaving. "I heard... Screaming. Then I woke up, my head feeling like I was swimming through molasses."
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
I'm the GM of The New Mythos, and play more characters then I probably should.

CaptainChaos
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:36 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: G.A.M.E. Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e IC)

Post by CaptainChaos » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:47 am

Lindy Tommasi

Lindy lay on her towel in the park soaking up the sun and enjoying the music from the festival. It was a beautiful day and the festival was in full swing with good music and plenty of food for all tastes. It was her first time in this part of Canada, having vistited Montreal years ago. When her agent called her about the photo shoot of the vineyards, she jumped at the offer. The fee was a bit less than normal but the magazine was covering the cost of her hotel room.

Lindy lay there, thinking about the past week. On her way here she had stopped to visit Emily at school. They talked on the phone or texted often but did not get to see each other except during school breaks. It was an enjoyable two days. Once she arrived on location, Lindy had toured the local vineyards to plan her photo shoot. It helped her to scope out a location prior to the shoot yo get an idea of when the lighting was best, what compositions would look good, any props or other things would add atmosphere to the shot.

Suddenly the air grew thick and oppressive. The air pressure grew. Lindy heard the screams of confused and frightened people. She recalled from a documentary she saw that this could be the warning signs of an impending tornado. She quickly got up, grabbed her few things, and started heading for shelter. She never made it more than a hundred feet or so before the pressure grew too intense. Then everything went black.

Lindy woke up in some sort of hospital room. She had a pounding headache and the constant beeping of the machines was not helping. It took a lot of effort to move her head to look around. There were others here. This must be an ICU as there were no windows. Her mind registered a male voice saying something but she couldn't quite understand the words as the headache was affecting her hearing. Her body ached all over so she wisely didn't put much effort into moving. Hopefully whatever was in the I.V. included pain meds.

User avatar
Supernaturalist
Posts: 389
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:48 am

Re: G.A.M.E. Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e IC)

Post by Supernaturalist » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:33 pm

Lloyd Lee Tremblay

HP:1?
CND: Barely conscious

Weekend “family time”’ is something that Lloyd guards jealously. Even though he sees Margie and the boys less than he would like during the week, he always makes up for it with a trip or special activity on the weekends. Last Saturday it was just riding around the neighborhood on his motorcycle with the boys in his lap. Maybe it wasn’t safe…maybe it wasn’t entirely legal given how young they are, but the boys loved it…and that was all that mattered.

This weekend is an opportunity for the whole family to enjoy the weather. Lloyd is up bright and early Saturday morning loading up the truck with softball gloves, coolers of beer, lawn chairs and more. “Don’t forget my novel! I laid it on the kitchen table.” Margie barks from the upstairs bathroom while applying a small amount of makeup. Lloyd was used to commands coming from his wife…all part of married life.

Yes, Your Imminence, he thinks to himself mildly amused and annoyed.

With all the day’s necessities secured, the whole family departs for Carroway park. Traffic is unusually bad, a sure sign that lots of other locals have the same idea as the Tremblay family.

After a lengthy search for an ideal spot on the beach, everything is unpacked and the boys are allowed to wade into the lake under Margie’s supervision. This allows Lloyd to load up on huge plate of barbecue. With a plate of food that weighs several pounds, he winds his way back to the family’s chosen spot and cracks open a beer.

Margie has only settled back into her lawn chair for a few minutes when she suddenly glances up at Lloyd. “Do you feel that?....What is that?

Lloyd put his plate of food down on the ground and looks up to the sky. The change in pressure creates a popping sensation in his ears. As it continues to increase to the point of discomfort, he can see his boys raise their hands to cover their ears as if in pain. “Luke! Grant! Get out of there!” He yells walking swiftly down to the water’s edge. His two boys run past him into the arms of their mother while Lloyd scans the sky for signs of the abnormal weather. That’s when the pressure erupts from below.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

M…Marg?…honey?” , he mumbles half-unconscious. “What…What was that?”, he continues still not sure of his surroundings. His eyes barely open. His body feels like it’s taken a severe beating. After a few moments as he regains his senses, he becomes more agitated as he realizes that his family is not near him. Lloyd forces himself to partially sit up out of bed. “Where the !@#$ is my family!?!” blurts out unsure if anyone is even listening.

jmucchiello
Posts: 745
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:59 pm

Re: G.A.M.E. Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e IC)

Post by jmucchiello » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:58 pm

"Just because you're my editor doesn't mean you dictate what I write about," Kara Karsten said into her phone. She was walking through the park enjoying the atmosphere. The scent in the air a weird and delightful clash of foods of a variety of ethnicities competing for everyone's nose.

"Yes, I told you I was at the festival already. The restaurant you want reviewed will still be there tomorrow. The festival won't be," she said. She smelled something Mediterranean nearby and turned to find it. "I've got to go. I need to check out this food truck,"

She hung up the phone and tossed it into her purse. The line for the truck was not long. As she was reading the menu on the side of the truck there was suddenly some pressure in her ears. Someone nearby said, 'What is that?" Then someone screamed. She looked around and people were reacting to something. She was going to say something but it felt like her face was in a vice. She started to run from the truck but stumbled. Falling to the ground seemed to take too long she thought and she did not remember hitting the ground.

-----

Beat. ACK
120/80. ACK
98.7%. ACK
Beat. ACK
121/80. ACK
99.2%. ACK
Beat. ACK

Buzzing. No, multiple buzzing noises. No, not buzzing, chattering. Inane, repetitive chattering. "What beat?" she mumbled. The chattering multiplied into dozen of soft voices. "What beat?" she said again sitting up.

Beat. ACK

"Where am I?" complains a gruff man's voice. Someone else speaks and a third person.

Beat. ACK

She looks around the stark plainness of the room. "Are we in a hospital basement? It must be..."

Beat. ACK

"...pretty bad if they have mixed men and women sharing a room in a basement." She feels fine.

Beat. ACK
Beat. ACK
Beat. ACK

She sits up and looks to see if she can find her "chart" at the end of her bed.

Beat. ACK

(ooc: Perception? Investigation? They are both +15, so: Perception/Investigation: 1d20+15 25)

EpicEclipse
Posts: 2297
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: G.A.M.E. Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e IC)

Post by EpicEclipse » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:18 am

Despite any disorientation and light cranial discomfort, you all actually don't feel any worse for wear. Little different from waking up after sleeping in for longer than you are accustomed. Any normal aches you have are present and accounted for, which means there are no painkillers in the IV drips.

The nurse button is simply that, signalling button, there is no microphone or speaker to communicate, but the small light beside the button lights up to indicate it was pressed and is functional. Kara finds no charts at the foots of the beds. It's possible and likely, they are kept on the other side of the door.

It doesn't take long at all from Rick pressing the nurse summoning button before the door latch clicks and the door swings open, revealing a plain-looking nurse with caramel skin, brown hair and hazel eyes, clearly on the tail end of a double shift. Despite her own obvious fatigue, she assesses the five of you briefly, mainly as if checking you are all conscious, before pressing the button on the intercom next to the door. "Doctor Hoff, they are awake. All five of them."

A woman's voice, older, comes from the intercom, coming out a bit staticy. ~"Understood. Perform the preliminary examinations and I'll be down in a few minutes."~

The nurse sighs lightly, and probably involuntarily. She was probably just about to be done and now having to perform examinations and who knows what else before she could actually leave for the day....or night. Hard to tell in a room with no windows. She reaches around to the wall outside the door to grab a clipboard folder that appears to have a number of files clipped to it, reviewing them silently for a moment before looking up at the five of you. "I'm nurse Duby. I'm certain you all have very important and pressing questions, but to save you all your breath, I only know "where are we" and "how long have we been out", the answers to which are the coma ward of Kelowna General Hospital, and five days. Oh, and if any of you have the question of if you can leave, the answer is not right now. Doctor Hoff will need to clear you all to leave, but as long as nothing concerning comes up with your examinations, you should be fine to go shortly, so let's make this as easy as possible and not cause me any trouble doing the examinations so I can do them as quickly and efficiently as possible, okay?" The last part almost sounds like a plea to not make her shift any longer than it is already going to be by causing trouble and preventing her from doing the exams.
Just going to pause here to let you guys have a chance to get a word in edgewise.

User avatar
Doctor Malsyn
Posts: 2918
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:42 pm
Location: Thunderdome, Texas

Re: G.A.M.E. Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e IC)

Post by Doctor Malsyn » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:57 am

Jackson Grey
HP: 1
LP: 1
CND: Normal
<=>

Jack nodded stiffly, "Yeah, sure..."
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
I'm the GM of The New Mythos, and play more characters then I probably should.

jmucchiello
Posts: 745
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:59 pm

Re: G.A.M.E. Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e IC)

Post by jmucchiello » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:44 am

"I find it hard to believe you don't know "What happened?" in addition to the other two questions," Kara says. "Or "Why are we in a room with no windows with no observation glass?" That one is bugging me. ICUs generally have observatin glass on one of the walls."

(She does not stop the nurse from whatever she's doing. She just doesn't shut up.)

User avatar
Supernaturalist
Posts: 389
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:48 am

Re: G.A.M.E. Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e IC)

Post by Supernaturalist » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:52 pm

Lloyd Lee Tremblay

HP:1?
CND: Barely conscious

Lloyd's eyes nervously glance left then right. "Are we the only ones hurt? Was anyone else hurt?"

CaptainChaos
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:36 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: G.A.M.E. Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e IC)

Post by CaptainChaos » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:10 pm

Lindy Tommasi

Lindy opened her eyes and forced them to focus on the nurse. She was tall but otherwise there was nothing unusual about her appearance. The nurse said they were in the coma ward of a hospital? How? Why? She had been out for five days? When her brain registered that information, she started to panic.

"Emily! I need to call Emily! She'll think there's something wrong, that I've been kidnapped or I'm dead or something! Where's my phone? I need to call her and tell her I'm okay!"

Lindy tried to get out of bed to look for a phone.

mrdent12
Posts: 731
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:10 pm

Re: G.A.M.E. Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e IC)

Post by mrdent12 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:57 am

Rick Jones
HP: 1
CND: Fine


"Sure, we were in a coma. Now we all seem to be fine. Look, I know you have a job to do. I can assure you, I am fine though. Can't speak for these others here, but whatever happened to us is over now. So lets just say you checked me and we all get this done with quicker, yeah? Maybe even say I left on my own recognizance. Just to make your job easier, ya know?", says Rick resorting to his more sensible convincing voice. If it worked one people who owed him and store owners who would otherwise be afraid of him given his reputation back in the day, why not give it a go on an overworked nurse.
Persuasion 37

I used own recognizance instead of against medical advice purposefully.

EpicEclipse
Posts: 2297
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: G.A.M.E. Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e IC)

Post by EpicEclipse » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:54 am

The nurse taps her foot when over half the patients instantly start doing exactly what she asked them not to...while her hand slips into the pocket of her scrubs

"Put simply, I *DON'T* know what happened. No-one really does, and you're in the coma ward like I said, not ICU. Pretty big difference there." she snarks at Kara. She looks to Lloyd and Lindy and holds her hands up lightly in a soothing gesture, holding the file in one, and a small plastic device in the other, about the size of an egg, but flatter with a button on it. "Look, I don't have all the answers as I said, but you've been out for five days. A few more minutes to wait for doctor Hoff, who should be able to give you more answers, isn't going to make all that much of a difference. Besides..." she looks at Rick getting up and trying his best to convince her to allow something beyond her ability to do. "Because of the situation, if any of you try to leave, the police are going to be called, and they are stationed on stand by at the hospital."

She looks frustrated, trying to wrangle in grown adults who want to be other places more desperately than they want to be here, and for good reasons obviously, and here she had to stand in between them and what they wanted. Unenviable, and apparently unsympathizable for some. She's really between a rock and a hard place here.

"Look, I'm not really supposed to tell you anything, but the hospital was a complete mess when whatever that was happened five days ago. A LOT of people were hurt, some were killed. You five, aside from being in comas, seemed completely unharmed despite any tests that were run while you were under. The doctor just wants to follow up and find out anything you might know now that you're awake, and then you'll be able to leave..just give it five minutes, okay?"
She can't really stop Rick from leaving, and she can't enter him as leaving against medical advice since that's not why he's even here. There is nothing at all in her power to prevent the police from being summoned should Rick attempt to leave before being released by doctor Hoff. I did allow the check to at least give you that information.

jmucchiello
Posts: 745
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:59 pm

Re: G.A.M.E. Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e IC)

Post by jmucchiello » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:33 am

"Way to deescalate the situation by telling us we're being detained by the police, Deary. That makes me much more calm," Kara says, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "Where are our things?"

mrdent12
Posts: 731
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:10 pm

Re: G.A.M.E. Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e IC)

Post by mrdent12 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:47 am

Rick Jones
HP: 1
CND: Fine


"You've got a job to do. I get it. The cops and probably government want to know why we didn't die or get hurt, okay. Since we are clearly all fine with some of us going nutso wanting to call people, why don't you just say you checked us so we can move this along. Go have a smoke or something in the time you save. Hell, pop down to my bar and let them know you get a drink for free. You've had five days to run whatever tests you want on us. Mind giving us a break? We aren't lab monkeys.", suggests Rick. He didn't like cops. Being detained was even worse. It wasn't like he could just disappear though without getting more cops on him.

Post Reply