Post by EpicEclipse »

Initiative wrote:
  • Exile
  • Salazar and Kaine
  • Pirates (x6)
  • Kriv
  • Heart
Okay, moving into a recruiting phase.

Recruiting four adventurers, level 3 using the standard array for attributes (15,14,13,12,10,8), max HP for first level, then average (Half die size +1) for level 2 and onward. Starting gear will consist of what you normally get for first level, any additional mundane gear within reason you can carry, and a horse. Additionally starting with 300 gold in whatever form you wish to have it (trade goods, gems, coins, whatever)

I really want to have a balanced party utilizing the old 4-role structure of Tank, Melee Striker, Ranged Striker and Support/Leader. These don't have to be traditional builds, but as long as the spirit is intact, we're good.

Additionally, all characters must be adventurers in a true sense. They travel and adventure. They don't have goals that result in them settling down in a place, whether to reclaim their throne or create a powerbase of some sort. The home for these adventurers is the road and each other.

Lastly, I would like each character to have connections to other characters in the party such that every character is linked to every other at least through another character. Obviously, this is more difficult before characters are selected, but posing potential links is just fine until characters are chosen.

Allowed content:
-All published first-party materials.
-Unearthed Arcana
-Any misc Wizards of the Coast material compatible with 5E (IE: Magic the Gathering Planewalk, Guide to Ravnica, etc)
-Feats (Including Unearthed Arcana)
-Variant options (human, ranger, etc)

Not Allowed content:
-Third-party content. (I know there's some cool stuff, but I also don't have access to it all, so have to blanket nope it)
-Older versions of similar content (IE: Shadow Sorcerer from Unearthed Arcana versus Shadow Sorcerer from Xanathar's Guide to Everything)
Now that life is smoothing out for me (until the next curveball it throws my way that is) I've been thinking about running a D&d 5e game here.

What I had in mind is a wandering adventurers sort of campaign, where the characters aren't rooted in one place and adventure for the sake of adventuring (and maybe personal ambitions that don't involve settling down in one place. Righting wrongs, challenging rivals to become the best, etc)

For the world, general fantasy fare, magic is uncommon, but recognized as not inherently good or evil, much like any weapon or tool. We can do world building to suit character concepts, IE maybe you don't want drow to be seen as inherently evil for your drow character to fit in better than being shot at on sight (or maybe the challenge of that excites you), we can work something into the world lore for that.

As for characters, planning to start at level 1, standard array, but any published, but not home brewed, material is valid. So Forgotten Realms, Eberron and Ravnica races and elements can all coexist and can be worked into the lore. Unearthed Arcana is similarly okay, but only the most recent version of anything. (IE, published Hexblade is okay, but not Unearthed Acana Hexblade)

Probably looking for 4 players filling your standard party roles: tank, melee DPS, ranged DPS and leader/support. The characters don't have to be STRICTLY those roles, but should have the spirit of them. I want a party that is a party. Speaking of which, I would like every member of the party to have a tie to at least one other party member.

I know that can be tricky before knowing who all is in, but I've also seen people throw around ideas for "hey if both our characters get in, we could do this" type lists for all other applicants, so even rough ideas of possible ties would be great and can help with the selection process too.

So, any questions or interest?
Last edited by EpicEclipse on Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: On the road (D&d 5E interest)

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Suppose I have a slight interest. I've always wanted to give 5e another try as a system. Hmm... So much in ways of ideas. Maybe I'l look around later for inspiration if I need it.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I do have one question before I let myself overindulge or not in potential character creation, what did you have in mind for stats?
------------
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

I, too, am interested. Though like Malsyn, curious in stat generation, I have a strong preference for point buy or the standard array. I'd likely be leaning towards the Melee Striker role, preferably a barbarian, but I'll be glad to modify concept as befits a coherent party.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I'd said standard array in the open post. :)
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Standard, 4d6 drop low then?

Hmm... When it comes to DND I like playing character combinations that contrast from their norm. I was considering an elven barbarian, but if he's thinking of taking that up maybe.... Minotaur wizard?
------------
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Standard array: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8, in any order.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Ahh, I didn't actually know about that. Never used it before, as you could probably tell, so hearing "standard array" didn't register with me at all.
------------
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

It's been a D&D thing since 3.0 edition.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I've actually only ever played the 5e version of D&D before, Pathfinder was my first tabletop system.
------------
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

What are your thoughts on Warlocks? The Patron/Warlock dynamic can really color a game.
"Something pithy this way comes."
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

Submitting a quick concept for approval, Balor, last son of Khaza-dhum. A Mountain dwarf born in the famed Dwarven Stronghold, Khaza-dhum. However when the city fell a generation ago to the Orc Hordes that descended from the Spine if the World, the dwarves were forced to flee. Becoming refugees in surrounding kingdoms. One such refugee was Balor, son of Morgh'aal, a Noble of the fallen stronghold. The orcs pursued the young Balor, and his guardian, who secreted the child with a band of rangers pledged to defend the territory from the encroaching orc hordes.

Balor grew up learning the ways of the wild and how to tap into that primal energy from his mentor, a druid of some renown. When the horde came for Balor he was forced to flee as he watched his mentor confront the horde as a monstrous cave bear. He has since been wandering seeking to gain the respect of the local kingdoms and create a war party to retake his ancestral home.

Class wise I'm playing a Mountain Dwarf Barbarian, but a couple links would be to any noble house who would entertain the notion of sponsoring the retaking of Khaza-dum, any dwarf (obviously), or anyone with ties to the rangers or druids who raised him.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Regarding warlocks, I know a few pretty interesting builds that use warlocks. Double smite paladin, eldritch machine gun, stockpile sorcerer to name a few.

I don't mind warlocks, just be aware I know the tricks they can do. ;)

Regarding Balor, his personal motivation runs counter to what I set out as the spirit of this game; Adventurers adventuring for the sake of adventure. Characters can have personal goals, but they really can't culminate in settling down in one place. Retaking a kingdom pretty much necessitates that. Even if you say it's not something you expect to happen in the lifespan of this game, his goal is still aimed towards not adventuring. Goals like that change the tone.

Not a bad character, just not a fitting one for the kind of campaign I want to run.

And regarding flipping the script on stereotyped race and class combinations, I'm not against it, but you still need to consider how that happened with the character in their backstory. Also realize those stereotypes exist for a reason, races tend towards classes they are suited for, so you'd be intentionally handicapping yourself a little.

I don't want anyone to feel like they are having a hard time contributing because they are too behind the curve of everyone else.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

It's just something I like to do personally, but ain't like it's some rule I follow every time. Though, now I find myself in a sludge of differing ideas with someone else taking up the Melee front first. Hmm... Gun-totting Arcanist? A ranger perhaps? Maybe a wizard or a sorcerer in some fashion. So many ideas, need to find something that gives me the right inspiration.
------------
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

A minotaur spellcaster still works, but some work better than others. Consider bards and wizards have formal training in schools. A minotaur in a school while sounding silly, would require a certain tone of game to allow for a monstrous being to be roaming the halls. A warlock or a cleric or a sorcerer though, they come about their powers very differently and in ways that work fine with a monstrous race. That's all I'm saying. ;)

I have not dabbled with guns yet in 5e, but I presume the rules for them are baked in to the class that can use them.