On the road (D&d 5E Recruiting 1)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: On the road (D&d 5E Recruiting 4)

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I'd actually had that thought when I was looking over your character initially, they easily could've met through Salazar helping him through that way. Perhaps he at one point needed to go through a stretch of territory occupied by his home country, and your character was able to cart him through unnoticed. He definitively seems the talkative type as well with that 17 charisma, I can see some interesting interactions there.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Maybe Salazar knows what the heinous crime was that got Exile exiled? You say it happened Decades ago so unlikely he was involved with it somehow but if they've traveled together / trust each other then Salazar has probably kept asking after it (not maliciously, but persistently with the patience of a snake). There was likely alcohol involved. It wouldn't be common knowledge (you can PM me if you want) but it would definitely be a further bond.

The perceptive Exile would see that Salazar is a extrovert by training rather than nature. He's probably seen when Salazar thinks he's alone his effusive, friendly, talkative nature shuts down, like someone taking off a mask or flipping a switch. His features become expressionless and his manner quiet and reserved. It comes back on the instant another person is there or if he thinks he's being watched.

He also stares into a mirror at dusk and dawn most days, talking to it and reporting all that he's seen that day or that previous night. On the rare occasion Exile's caught glimpses that the reflection of Salazar does not move or respond like the real Salazar is moving. He's made no secret of his service and communement to the Lord of Reflections. Still, it's probably creepy.
"Something pithy this way comes."
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Kaine Connections
Salazar: A smuggler and an ex-cop connected to the mob. Might have to dig here to find a connection :D

Kriv: Possibly a family connection to Kaine's Dragonborn Monk master? Thank goodness someone has a more classic pure of heart (kind of?) hero concept. I usually enjoy playing the Boy Scout of the group because I think it fills an important role in the group dynamics. 8-)

Exile: This is the tough one. Both leaving an organization they grew up in. Both from a non-human civilization isolated by geography. I do like how these two seem like the flip side of the coin when it comes to combat. Quick, stealthy, one ranged the other melee.

Flynnarrel your concept (albeit creepy :)) is a great glue character for the others connection. I thought about using a level of Rogue for the skills, but it looks like you have that covered and Doctor Malsyn a close second. Kaine does have sideways connections to the criminal world and speaks Thieves Chant. I see possible out of combat (my fav RP situations :) play with these two.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Hey Flyn, what race is your character? It's unclear in the backstory and the picture looks like something out of Star Trek, so I am at a loss. The racial features are variant, that much I can tell.

And StarGuard, where does half-kor come from? I know the ful kor race is from Plane Shift Zendikar, but I can't find half-kor for the life of me.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Yuan-ti. http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/yuan-ti

Picture is from Babylon 5.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

As for possible links to others:

Krisaga: Salazar (and/or his family) could absolutely have helped smuggled magic users (or even just regular refugees) out of a war torn area. They could have smuggled in supplies as well.

Kaine: I agree it'd be a tougher fit. Investigator vs. Criminal. But actually, rogue/monk is one of the ideas I was considering for Salazar's adoptive mother (teifling father's a cleric). There could be a link to Kaine's monastery that way.

Kriv: I could see a slightly adversarial relationship between the two. Kriv could have been part of a border patrol that keep trying to catch Salazar and company (maybe Exile) smuggling goods.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Regarding his reasons for exile, all he'd ever say would be; "It's in the past. What's done is done, I have no regrets."

While he had certainly been affected, he tries to put it all aside and move on anyway.

Salazar's conflicting personas and seemingly enchanted mirror would give most pause, but Exile is not one to judge or even draw attention to it. Not like he didn't have his own oddities after all, and he was never much of a 'people person' anyway.

With Kaine, they definitely have that sorta dynamic regarding their party roles. I'll have to think on it some myself to find a good way they mught know each other, but it is looking like Salazar is our binding agent in the end.
------------
McGuffin

Post by McGuffin »

Kriv's possible links to others:

Salazar
Flynnarrel wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:18 pmKriv: I could see a slightly adversarial relationship between the two. Kriv could have been part of a border patrol that keep trying to catch Salazar and company (maybe Exile) smuggling goods.
I could definitely see something like this going down. If there was a confrontation and depending on the details I could see him turning to working in the system to help Salazar continue/otherwise ease his troubles. Depends of course on what specifically he were smuggling at the time. But also another thought is Salazar's patron wanting him to deal with undead which could lead to an unlikely team-up between the two.

Kaine
StarGuard wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:23 am Kriv: Possibly a family connection to Kaine's Dragonborn Monk master? Thank goodness someone has a more classic pure of heart (kind of?) hero concept. I usually enjoy playing the Boy Scout of the group because I think it fills an important role in the group dynamics. 8-)

I like the idea of the family connection, maybe an aunt or uncle who went their own way outside the family, possibly even inspiring Kriv to seek his own path. I look forward to seeing him contrast with everyone else.

Exile: i could see Kriv having met Exile on the road and sharing a direction for a time. Travel companions on the road.

Krisaga: I could see Kriv and her as comrades in arms against some evil or injustice they've both encountered. A bond forged in battle.
Otso Karell/Ursa, student at the New Vindicators Academy Europe.
Kriv of Clan Myastan, Dragonborn Noble Paladin in On the Road.
EpicEclipse

Re: On the road (D&d 5E Recruiting 4 / Deadline: 08/31)

Post by EpicEclipse »

I'm going to cut off recruitment at the end of the week to give anyone who was interested a little more time to propose something.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

EpicEclipse wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:07 pm And StarGuard, where does half-kor come from? I know the ful kor race is from Plane Shift Zendikar, but I can't find half-kor for the life of me.
I'm just calling him half Kor for the narrative flavor. I used the Kor race mechanics. I can easily adjust it if you prefer. I describe him with a white ponytail and pale almost albino skin so it is fairly evident he is of mixed racial origins.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Flynnarrel wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:18 pm Kaine: I agree it'd be a tougher fit. Investigator vs. Criminal. But actually, rogue/monk is one of the ideas I was considering for Salazar's adoptive mother (teifling father's a cleric). There could be a link to Kaine's monastery that way.
:twisted: Not exactly a versus situation with the two. Kaine was a dirty cop just like his father is. It wasn't until his "Investigative" team was caught and thrown in and died in the gladiatorial ring that he started walking the path of a righteous man. I haven't fleshed out his Kor mother because I always like giving the GM threads to play with. For instance the character was designed for a Forgotten Realm setting close to Hillsfar but I'm keeping it generic for story purposes. ie Kaine was taught the Way of the Openhand by the Dragonborn monk during his 5 years in the gladiator ring but has never been to the actual monastery.

I could see us opening up with Kaine trying to help smuggle some non-humans from a bad situation and the pirates turning out to be bad business partners ... fight ensues ;)
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

That should be fine. As long as you're not trying to finagle your way into a racial feat. (which I'm sure you're not ;))
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Salazar: We've already pretty much come to a consensus on this one, with the Yuan-ti having helped him through a stretch of Forrest being occupied by Exile's countrymen. I suspect worldly context it was a brief border skirmish with a neighbouring nation. From there the two would've taveled for a time longer, Salazar has a noble goal of helping the disenfranchised that Exile can agree with. Maybe they parted ways at some point, maybe they never did again. He would never have talked about his past any stricter then necessary, and neither woukd he part into Salazar's own secrets. Even if he did notice them, that is. It should be obvious, but Exile knows when to keep quiet...

@Kaine: Like you, I do have a hard time placing how they could know each other. Perhaps they may have met through Salazar when Exile was traveling with him, or the elf watched you fight durring your time in the arena. Their ideals are definitely right in line with one another though, I feel they could get along, especially with how Kaine isn't one to judge based on words or appearence alone.

Kriv: The idea of having shared a span of road for a time has a certain appeal to me. A quiet journey, otherwise uneventful, but shared between a quiet soul and one with enough spirit to make up for the other's lack. Exile's parting memory would be; "That dragon born talked too much."

Krisaga: Another one with a very similar set of ideals to his own, probably the most similar of them all. That talk og her nation being at war with another could play into the border skirmishes I mentioned a bit ago with Salazar. Perhaps Exile's home nation got dragged into the conflict, or were poking at the borders while her own was weakened. They may not have ever met personally, but an animosity from her to him could exist (Exile does not really care for his nation's politics anymore).
------------
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Woah, our Paladin/Fighter transmogrified to a Life Cleric!

Salazar could totally have secured papers of identity for our Warforged Hermit to allow her/it to move about more freely. (What pronouns does Heart prefer? [I totally just outted myself as Californian - SF Bay area, didn't I?])
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Don't you just hate it when your paladins spontaneously transform into cute robot girls?

What, you don't? Me neither. :lol:
------------