On the road (D&d 5E Recruiting 1)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EpicEclipse

Re: On the road (D&d 5E Recruiting 4 / Deadline: 08/31)

Post by EpicEclipse »

A character changed? When did that happen? Lol
Bill from Accounting

Post by Bill from Accounting »

Oh, that was me, sorry. I didn't think anyone would really notice until I pointed it out, which I was going to do once I was finished.

I just didn't want to compete with McGuffin over the Paladin class, especially since he both expressed interest in it AND had a build up before me.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

The pic change drew my attention as I was scrolling through. Sorry.
"Something pithy this way comes."
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:37 am @Kaine: Like you, I do have a hard time placing how they could know each other. Perhaps they may have met through Salazar when Exile was traveling with him, or the elf watched you fight durring your time in the arena. Their ideals are definitely right in line with one another though, I feel they could get along, especially with how Kaine isn't one to judge based on words or appearence alone.
HEY! :shock: Okay I have to steal that idea. Definitely like this idea that he might be recognized as having once been a gladiator-slave in the ring who earned his freedom. More of a T.J. Perkins than a John Cena ;) All depending on how the setting goes. I have a horrible default to Forgotten Realms when it comes to DnD builds lol.

Speaking of ...
EpicEclipse wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:08 am That should be fine. As long as you're not trying to finagle your way into a racial feat. (which I'm sure you're not ;))
Kor's have a Racial Feat :mrgreen: Nah, If I'm pulling that crap I want a race with darkvision or a Human Variant. Half Elf and Tabaxis would have been good for a monk. Nope just thought it would be interesting to play a character with a bit of daredevil (little "d") in his genes.
Bill from Accounting

Heart is now updated with a backstory!
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Just in time too. I'll be cutting off recruitment at the end of today. Last chance to submit something.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Just idle cruising of the builds.

Bill I think you forgot the Dex modifier for your AC (still going to be awesome high :))

Flynarrel I think posted his HP before EE made the call for fixed HP generation. Super Skill Monkey damn Bards 8-)

McGuffin I think you have same thing going on with HP generation?

Doc, I love Rangers, even if I think they are in same group as Monk and Sorcerer as underpowered. Im not too knowledgable of UA How is that different than the PHB Ranger.

Anyone have thoughts on juicing a Monk? I've been looking for an Ironfist type build but meh. Not into ding Warlock MC. Maybe reskin a level of Barbarian? That would mean his strength as a 13 and Rage doesnt work on Dex meh oh well.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

StarGuard wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:15 pm Just idle cruising of the builds.

Bill I think you forgot the Dex modifier for your AC (still going to be awesome high :))
Warforged at the Heavy Armor configuration don't count dex into AC.
Flynarrel I think posted his HP before EE made the call for fixed HP generation. Super Skill Monkey damn Bards 8-)
Weren't those grandfathered in? (j/k)
McGuffin I think you have same thing going on with HP generation?
His 6 per level looks right. There's a handy chart here.
Doc, I love Rangers, even if I think they are in same group as Monk and Sorcerer as underpowered. Im not too knowledgable of UA How is that different than the PHB Ranger.
Revised Rangers are quite a step up from PHB rangers. They get a damage bonus v. favored enemies (like in 3,x), and aren't limited to a terrain type.
Anyone have thoughts on juicing a Monk? I've been looking for an Ironfist type build but meh. Not into ding Warlock MC. Maybe reskin a level of Barbarian? That would mean his strength as a 13 and Rage doesnt work on Dex meh oh well.
Many threads on the internet are dedicated to how monks are OP standalone, especially Way of The Open Hand. A free effect with every bonus hit is pretty powerful even limited to your Ki. Ways to add damage are your original thoughts of adding in rogue sneak attacks, but honestly it might not be worth delaying your monk goodies. If you wanted versitility a single level of Druid would get awesome spellcasting like Shillelagh which allows you to focus more on Wisdom, Thornwhip, which lets you modify enemy positions, and many others. But really, not needed - pure monk is a beast and Kor is one of the best races for it. We don't even know if there will be leveling up in this game.
Bill from Accounting

StarGuard wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:15 pm Bill I think you forgot the Dex modifier for your AC (still going to be awesome high :))
Yeah, I was honestly surprised by how high the Warforged AC can be, and looking around online, there is some consensus that it's borderline OP. If Epic wanted to nerf the heavy plating AC from 16 down to 15 or even 14 (+proficiency bonus), I'd understand. Another possible nerf could be to make it 16 + half proficiency bonus, so it doesn't scale as much.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Hey thanks for the info. I’ve only played spell casters in 5e so far and recently started looking at monk. I think the low AC low damage dice worry me a tad :)

I watch Critical Role each week and amusingly my spellcaster recently broke his pact lost his powers for last couple months and now due to his background story is now a sorcerer. I love Marisha monk though and was big into martial arts in my teens and 20s. Switched to boxing and swords in my 30s. I’m looking to develop a character off of the new pic for Kaine. I hope so at least :)
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

With out spending Ki you have a 1d8+3 and a 1d4+3 attack each round.

With spending Ki you either get:

1d8+3 and 1d4+3 that you move before and after so that the opponent is no longer in melee range (Disengage with a monks great speed and double jump distance) OR

1d8+3 and 1d4+3 and all opponents take disadvantage on attacks against you (Dodge) OR

1d8+3, 1d4+3, and *another* 1d4+3, the latter two you add on a free effect that could push, knock down, or rob opponent of reactions.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Just want to make sure, everyone has used average for their hit dice for HP correct?

That is half the total die size plus 1, then add con bonus.

D4 = 3+con
D6 = 4+con
D8 = 5+con
D10 = 6+con
D12 = 7+con
McGuffin

Post by McGuffin »

Yea, my HP should be correct now. Thanks for catching it StarGuard. Had a busy couple of days, edited it but didn't comment.
Otso Karell/Ursa, student at the New Vindicators Academy Europe.
Kriv of Clan Myastan, Dragonborn Noble Paladin in On the Road.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I rolled for mine, but... Somehow the rolls came out exactly as average anyway, so, no real point in changing it is there? :lol:
Flynnarrel wrote:
Starguard wrote:Doc, I love Rangers, even if I think they are in same group as Monk and Sorcerer as underpowered. Im not too knowledgable of UA How is that different than the PHB Ranger.
Revised Rangers are quite a step up from PHB rangers. They get a damage bonus v. favored enemies (like in 3,x), and aren't limited to a terrain type.
I hadn't actually looked at the core ranger in awhile myself, I was browsing Unearthed Arcana to see if there was anything that interested me there, and the ranger classes caught my eye. They do seem a step up form what I remember, and I'm curious as to how it'll play out. Personally, I don't like how they can detect "exact numbers" regarding their primeval awareness ability. I think it'd be best described as "Solitary, pair, small group, large group, horde" instead. Thought of that just now actually.

Hearth is an adorable character already, I like her.

"A living machine... The world beyond the forest really is... Quite amazing."
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
EpicEclipse

Re: On the road (D&d 5E Recruiting Closed)

Post by EpicEclipse »

Welp, no additional submissions means we got five, and honestly, there is enough variety in those five that I don't really feel compelled to cut anyone, so we'll just do 5 players. I'll work on the intro, and in the meantime, you guys cement any connections between your characters.