On the road (D&d 5E Recruiting 1)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
StarGuard

Re: On the road (D&d 5E Recruiting Closed)

Post by StarGuard »

Thanks guys. I’ll catch up quickly. I had my head focused on using his reaction to catch crossbow bolts. It might have saved him from taking damage last round if I was more familiar with Monk. I tell my kids my best lessons are usually from my mistakes not successes.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

nat 20's are automatic critical hits, no need to 'roll to confirm' as in other editions, a critical hit doubles damage dice (not bonuses). ex/ If you hit with a two-handed quarterstaff strike critically instead of 1d8+3 you'd roll 2d8+3 for damage.

The decision for Ki spending should be done before the bonus action attack is taken as it replaces the 1 bonus action unarmed attack with 2 unarmed attacks (and Open Hand extras) or replaces the bonus action with a dodge or movement option. It is independent of critical hits in any other attack.

Kaine was hit with a knife, not an arrow attack. Deflect Missiles would have done nothing.

You can read up on monk abilities and system rules at many sites. I like http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/.
"Something pithy this way comes."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Yes. Natural 20 is auto hit regardless of AC and roll any damage dice twice.

And opting to use a Ki point should be done before the. bonus action as Flynn says.

Keep in mind through, you can use movement between attacks, so if the first two finish the guy off, you can move to deliver the third, but if nothing is in range of the third, sadly its wasted.

Just like opting to use smite and the enemy only had 2 hp left. You couldn't know that, but opted use it, so unfortunately it was wasted.

Sometimes you just gotta judge the situation and manage your resources accordingly
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

No, its all good. Learning the class for 5e as we go. I'll post damage dice in a few minutes then.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Barring a fallen archer to target, is there a place Salazar can move to not to have disadvantage on the unengaged archer? Hopefully within 15 feet so he can move, cast, then move back to the base of the crates.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Unfortunately not. But you do have an inspiration still as well as an ally that can use the help action to negate the disadvantage (or you use Help to assist him. Either way)
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

So, going to reroll Kaine's damage to keep things moving since SG didn't seem to fully understand that he rolls the damage dice twice, don't roll it once and double the result.

Ended up 1 higher at 14 damage, but unfortunately he made his Dex save against being shoved (rogues as a base, so proficiency in Dex saves)

At 14 damage, he's not down, but looking rough.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Salazar is helping Exile. The Ranger's attack could be much more devastating than his own anyway.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Good judgement call. :)
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Yeah, I was in game this weekend when our monk (who got to the big bad quicker than the rest of us) was engaged in a fight she wasn't suited for, burned through her ki early. I suggested the dodge action to her since we were still on our way and I could tell she wanted to engage and fight since it's the more heroic thing to do. She eventually relented and took the dodge action and it saved her from two devastating hits til we could get there to help her. Sometimes it's about swallowing ego for the good of the group.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

The monk got to the big bad quicker than everyone! My shock is maximum, lol.

But yeah, playing smart and remembering you have options outside of attack tends to lead to better strategy, because not only did your monk survive those attacks, she held the big bads attention on her when he could have been casting something on the rest of the party or trying to flee.

Personal glory is nothing compared to achieving glory as a team.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

So .... you can do an aid action in combat .... at range? God I'm still learning 5e and we've had a monthly game for two years now :)
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

As long as you have the means to aid at range, sure. Bow, cantrip, s'all good. 5E is nice for being flexible with stuff like that, leaving it to DM adjudication and "rule of cool" (Like acrobatics on horseback, 'cause why not?)

I like to see teamworks, so I'll tend to rule in favor of anything that is motivated by working as a team. So, ranged help actions are in! (i mean...hell, if you wanted to pick up and throw a rock as your help action, awesome! :P)

(To be fair, the rule specifically says you need to be within 5ft of the creature you are aiding an ally against, but I'll handwaive it if you have a reasonable means to help at range, ranged attack, a rock, maybe even social skills if you make a good roll!)
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

While I like using the mirror-between-worlds theme (reflecting the light of a sun that's not there), I was also thinking to describe it as a practiced move between the two travelers where Salazar aim the shard just left of the target prompting it to dodge into Exile's simultaneously shot arrow on the right.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

That’s cool. Especially in this format. At a table I think I’d homebrew you have advantage at range to try and give an ally advantage (being at range removing you from danger and all) but in PbP this is a really creative way to go :)

As a side thought could something similar be done to give an opponent a Disadvantage on a Dex Save Throw?

And I always keep in mind any tool a GM gives Players are also at his disposal for the “Bad Guys” :D