On the road (D&d 5E Recruiting 1)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Flynnarrel

Re: On the road (D&d 5E Recruiting 1)

Post by Flynnarrel »

Being disadvantaged on all ability checks to get there tonight would mean we don't have any other good options besides rushing in and starting combat. We couldn't even scout (Stealth checks) effectively.
"Something pithy this way comes."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Wild Cunning doesn't turn up any suitable shelters in the Are. You already made the check to find snake tracks to follow, so you can go ahead with that, no further rolls needed, but you'll need animal handling or a melee attack roll to catch the snakes. If you use attack, you'll need to also make a Dex save (dc 12) to avoid being bitten. If you fail that, you take 1 damage and make a dc10 con save to avoid venom.

Also, you can ritual cast unseen servant and have it ride your horse, just not sure why you would. ^^; but go for it.
Last edited by EpicEclipse on Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

In this situation, Exile might want Salazar along. We'd have to do stealth checks but Salazar can Charm the snakes from the get go and avoid possible unpleasantness like poisoning the elf.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Anything you guys need? Wild Cunning did not find shelter, and I was confused why Salazar wanted to cast an unseen servant to ride his horse
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Exile's call. Take Salazar and do Stealth checks or go alone and do animal handling or Dex checks?
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Apologies, was busy this weekend. I'll get on things...
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

I haven't died. My wizard is taking some time.

This will be Navarti Crystalfist: A female, deep gnome (from Template of Elemental Evil Player's Guide), far traveler (from Sword Coast Adventures), wizard (transmuter). Although I might change that to enchanter (or diviner or ....)

"Am Navarti Crystalfist. Am please meeting you."

More to come once I figure out the arcane tradition and pick spells and maybe a familiar.....
McGuffin

Post by McGuffin »

Navarti looks cool, looking forward to meeting her in game.

So, the big, nobleborn Paladin and the drink-loving dwarven Barbarian are left in charge of camoflaging the camp? :D this'll be good.
Otso Karell/Ursa, student at the New Vindicators Academy Europe.
Kriv of Clan Myastan, Dragonborn Noble Paladin in On the Road.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Thea of House Gerrald, Human Cleric of Arcana and Izzet Engineer, lvl 3, Neutral Good.

Born in the magocracy of Ravnica (or another very magical place in this world) to high-ranking techno-wizard-priests, Thea grew up learning that the best way to honor the gods was through study of the world and all the secrets it could reveal. Tinkering was a form of worship and hours studying were a way to commune with the divine powers. Every device created that allowed a wonderous thing to occur was another step closer to the Celestial Powers. At 18, Thea was one of the youngest persons to achieve the rank of professor in the Guild Academy (though claims that it was due to her parents's positions in the Guild and Government tainted her achievement and she never insists the title be used).

Her studies brought her to the descriptions of lands where such things aren't as common place, where magic isn't woven into every facet of daily life, and she grew intensely curious about how things worked in that world. Maybe their lives could be improved.

She also wondered what new metals or reagents or thaumaturgical properties she could discover in these lands. She cleared this sabbatical with the higher-up guild members (Mom & Dad, who understood that the political landscape needed to calm down before Thea would be accepted), and set off with her faithful owl, Artemis.
Pale Skin, Blond Hair, light green eyes that glow when she does magic.
Sleight build, 5foot 5inches tall.

AC:18 (Scale+Dex+Shield)
HP 24
Move 30'

Str 8 [-1]
Save: -1
Con 13+1 = 14 [+2]
Save: +2
Dex 14 [+2]
Acrobatics +4
Int 12 [+1]
Save: +1
Arcana +3
Religion +3
Investigation +3
Wis 15+1 = 16 [+3]
Save: +5
Medicine +5
Perception +5
Cha 10 [0]

Cleric of Arcana
Proficiencies
Armor: Light armor, medium armor, shields
Weapons: All simple weapons
Tools: Tinkers Tools
Languages: Common, Draconic, Elvish
Proficiency +2

Combat
Initiative +2
Passive Perception: 15
Dagger +4, 1d4+2
Mace -1, 1d6-1
Light Crossbow +4, 1d6+2
Fire Bolt, 120ft, +5, 1d10 fire
Shocking grasp, melee, +5, 1d8 elec, Adv vs. metal
Toll the Dead, 60 ft, Wis vs. DC 13 or 1d8 necrotic, or 1d12 of they're injured
Produce Flame, 30ft, +5, 1d8 fire,

Background: Izzet Engineer
Trait: It's not magic—or anything, really—if you do it only halfway. Whatever I do, I give it all I've got.
Ideal: Creativity. Half the world's troubles come from stodgy thinking, stuck in the past. We need innovative solutions.
Bond: I have the schematics for an invention that I hope to build one day, once I have the necessary resources.
Flaw: Nothing is ever simple, and if it seems simple, I'll find a way to make it complicated.
Contact: An older relative (Dad) is a member of the guild's board of directors.
Additional Contact: I'm in regular communication with an instructor (Mom via Sending) who set me on the course of my life and research.

Feature: Urban Infrastructure
The popular conception of the Izzet League is based on mad inventions, dangerous experiments, and explosive blasts. Much of that perception is accurate, but the league is also involved with mundane tasks of construction and architecture—primarily in crafting the infrastructure that allows Ravnicans to enjoy running water, levitating platforms, and other magical and technological wonders.
You have a basic knowledge of the structure of buildings, including the stuff behind the walls. You can also find blueprints of a specific building in order to learn the details of its construction. Such blueprints might provide knowledge of entry points, structural weaknesses, or secret spaces. Your access to such information isn’t unlimited. If obtaining or using the information gets you in trouble with the law, the guild can’t shield you from the repercussions.

Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
• (a) a mace
• (a) scale mail
• (a) a light crossbow and 20 bolts or (b) any simple weapon
• (a) an explorer's pack
• A shield used as holy symbol
* An Izzet insignia
* Tinkers tools
* the charred and twisted remains of a failed experiment
* a hammer
* a block and tackle
* a set of common clothes
* and a belt pouch containing 1 gp (Azorius 1-zino coins)
*Bought: Dagger[2], Tent, 2-person[2],

Horse
100GP Barter Goods (powdered ruby)
* Bought: Healer's Kit[5], Burgler's pack[16], Iron Spikes(10pack)[1], Caltrops[1], Additional Ball Bearings[1], lamp oil x10[1], steel mirror[5], Scholar's pack[40], Hunting trap[5], Acid x2[50], Brass Brazier[5], familiar summoning reagents x2[20],
Large Locket[10GP] (that she had cast Continual Flame into, opening the locket exposes the flame, closing it hides the flame, The locket can be mounted on a headband or a choker. or put into a lantern, 20ft Bright Light, 20 ft Dim Light)
Spent: 10 in reagents for initial casting of Find Familiar, 50 in Reagents for Continual Flame

Channel Divinity: Arcane Abjuration
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to abjure otherworldly creatures.
As an action, you present your holy symbol, and one celestial, elemental, fey, or fiend of your choice that is within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw, provided that the creature can see or hear you. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage.
A turned creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can't willingly end its move in a space within 30 feet of you. It also can't take reactions. For its action, it can only use the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there's nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.
After you reach 5th level, when a creature fails its saving throw against your Arcane Abjuration feature, the creature is banished for 1 minute (as in the Banishment spell, no concentration required) if it isn't on its plane of origin and its challenge rating is at or below a certain threshold, as shown on the Arcane Banishment table.

Feat(s): Magic Initiate, Wizard

Spells 1st *4 2nd *2, Spell Attack: +5, DC: 13
Cantrips: (3 cleric, 2 Domain[D], 2 Magic Initiate[MI], 2 Izzet(I)])
MI - Mage Hand
MI - Prestidigitation
Toll the Dead
Guidance
Spare the dying
D - Fire Bolt
D - Minor Illusion
I - Produce Flame
I - Shocking Grasp

(6 leveled cleric spells known)
1st:
MI - Find Familiar (1/Day, Cannot cast as Ritual)
D - Magic Missile
D - Detect Magic (Ritual)
I - Chaos Bolt
I - Create/Destroy Water
I - Unseen Servant (Ritual)
Cure Wounds
Bless
Sanctuary
Command

2nd:
D - Magic Weapon
D - Nystul's Magic Aura
I - Heat Metal
I - Rope Trick
Silence
Lesser Restoration

Familiar:
Owl (Artemis)
Celestial spirit, familiar
Armor Class 11
Hit Points 1 (1d4-1)
Speed 5 ft., fly 60 ft.
STR 3 (-4) DEX 13 (+1) CON 8 (-1) INT 2 (-4) WIS 12 (+1) CHA 7 (-2)
Skills Perception +3, Stealth +3
Senses Darkvision 120 Ft., passive Perception 13
Flyby. The owl doesn't provoke opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy's reach.
Keen Hearing and Sight. The owl has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or sight.

Izzet Engineer background: https://planeshiftmagicalgatheringindd. ... t-engineer
Last edited by Vivid on Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:13 am, edited 16 times in total.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

and for Artemis:

Last edited by Vivid on Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Now I have two to choose from. :O

As for the current players, I'll need a stealth roll from Exile (unless I missed it somewhere) for those two.

Then survival or stealth from Kriv and Baern to hide the camp.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

24 Like a leaf on the wind.
------------
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
McGuffin

Post by McGuffin »

Otso Karell/Ursa, student at the New Vindicators Academy Europe.
Kriv of Clan Myastan, Dragonborn Noble Paladin in On the Road.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I think with his elf ears he can hear you from several miles away.
------------