On the road (D&d 5E Recruiting 1)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
jmucchiello

Re: On the road (D&d 5E Recruiting 1)

Post by jmucchiello »

Nalvarti Crystalfist

"Me?" the gray-skinned gnome says as she sips her wine. "Not typical gnome. No. Family buys and sells crystals in Telembozzean, drow city deep, deep underground, not far from Helbuz Chasm if you know it. Lovely, worthless crystals in Chasm. We stop mining Chasm hundreds year ago. Crystals used in magic and perpetual lamp making cannot use those crystals.

"But you aks about me, not crystals, right? I depress, no, digress. I digress. Sometime says wrong word or leave out word. You Common tongue is slippery compare to Gnome and Darkcommon. No, you say Undercommon, not Darkcommon. See? Wrong word.

"So about me. Am third child of six. Parents are Geldreth and Pelnergi. Lovely people. Hard working. Mom to take over Crystalfist family when Dinumma, mean Grandma, retire. Maybe forty year from now. Sister Gelnetti follow Mom many year from now. Gelna smug but not dummy. Should do fine. She first born. Others all boys: Krieger, Schneltheck, Durthmeck, and Baby Firble.

"Me tested by Arcanists Guild and learn magic at young age. Was so happy when this happen because not want to oversee crystal mines ever. Spent years learning magic with Master Walschud Ironfoot. Last year, study concluded and receive by wizard hat. No, I not have hat with me. It on shelf, proudly displayed, in parents home in Telembozzean, not far from Helbuz Chasm if you know it. Handsome hat. Black, straight, pointy. Earned three yellow, um hanging things, tassels.

"Master Ironfoot pick me to accompany to surface as envoy. Surface is so much color. Better even than crystal in front of glow stick. Color even in clothing. Look at shirt. Red. No one wear red shirt underground. Surface people think nothing of red shirt. And sky incredible. I go up forever it seem. First time I look up and not see rock I stare at sky for hours. So blue with white things floating inside. Someday I will touch white things. Clouds, yes?

"So when envoy done, I ask Master Ironfoot if I can stay, explore surface world. He not care. Believe I take care of self. So I stay here." She puts down her now empty glass. "End of wine. You want more of my story I will need another glass of wine."

Race: Svirfneblin (Deep Gnome); Class-Level: Wizard-3 (Enchantment); Background: Far Traveler
Alignment: Neutral; Proficiency Bonus: +2
Passive Perception: 13; Passive Investigation: 15; Dim light does not impose disadvantage on Perception
Hit Dice: 3d6+6; Spent HD: None

Strength: 8 (-1);
Dexterity: 14 (+2); Original value: 13
Constitution: 14 (+2);
Intelligence: 17 (+3); SAVES: +5; Arcana: +5; Investigation: +5 Original value: 15
Wisdom: 12 (+1); SAVES: +3; Insight: +3; Perception: +3
Charisma: 10 (+0)
Advantage on all Int, Wis, Cha saving throws against magic. Advantage on Stealth checks in rocky terrain.

Combat
Speed: 25 ft
Vision: Darkvision 120 ft, dim light does not impose disadvantage on perception.
Initiative: +2
AC: 12 (10 + Dex)
HP: 20/20; TEMP: 0
Dagger: +4 melee 1d4+2 piercing, range 20/60
Fire Bolt: +5 ranged 1d10 fire, range 120

Proficiencies
Languages: Common, Gnome, Undercommon, Orc
Tools: Flute
Armor: None
Weapons: Daggers, darts, slings, quaterstaffs, light crossbows

Race: Svirfneblin
Ability Score Increase: +2 to Int, +1 to Dex
Language: Common, Gnome, Undercommon
Superior Darkvision: Your darkvision has a radius of 120 feet.
Gnome Cunning: You have advantage on all Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saving throws against magic.
Stone Camouflage: You have advantage on Dexterity (stealth) checks to hide in rocky terrain.

Background: Far Traveler
Skills: Insight, Perception; Tools: Flute; Language: Orc
Origin: Homesteader
All Eyes on You: Your accent, mannerisms, figures of speech, and perhaps even your appearance all mark you as foreign. Curious glances are directed your way wherever you go, which can be a nuisance, but you also gain the friendly interest of scholars and others intrigued by far-off lands, to say nothing of everyday folk who are eager to hear stories of your homeland.

You can parley this attention into access to people and places you might not otherwise have, for you and
your traveling companions. Noble lords, scholars, and merchant princes, to name a few, might be interested in
hearing about your distant homeland and people.

Feats None

Class: Wizard
Skills: Arcana, Investigation
Spellcasting: Atk +5, DC 13, # spells prepared 6
Spells per Long Rest: 1st: 4, 2nd: 2
Cantrips Known: Message, Prestidigitation, Fire Bolt
Spellbook
1st Level: Alarm, Find Familiar, Grease, Sleep, Thunderwave
2nd Level: Enlarge/Reduce (C), Suggestion (C)
Arcane Recovery: Once per day, after a short rest, regain 1 level's worth of spell slots
School of Enchantment
Enchantment Savant: copying enchantment spells into spellbook costs half time/money
Hypnotic Gaze: Starting a t 2nd level when you choose this school, your soft words and enchanting gaze can magically enthrall another creature. As an action, choose one creature that you can see within 5 feet of you. If the target can see or hear you, it must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw against your wizard spell save DC or be charmed by you until the end of your next turn. The charmed creature's speed drops to 0, and the creature is incapacitated and visibly dazed.

On subsequent turns, you can use your action to maintain this effect, extending its duration until the end of your next turn. However, the effect ends if you move more than 5 feet away from the creature, if the creature can neither see nor hear you, or if the creature takes damage.

Once the effect ends, or if the creature succeeds on its initial saving throw against this effect, you can't use this feature on that creature again until you finish a long rest.

Equipment
Spell Book (3#)
Arcane Focus: Crystal (1#)
Waterskin (5#)
Traveler's Clothes (4#)
Backpack (5#)
* Bedroll (7#)
* Flute (1#)
* Mess Kit (1#)
* Perfume (vial) (--)
* Scroll Case (3 sheets of parchment) (1#)
Belt
* Pouch (90 gp, 12 sp) (2#)

Light Load: 40#, Medium Load: 80#, Max Load: 120#
Load: 30#

Ren - Poisonous Snake (fey) familiar
AC: 13; hp 2; 30 ft, swim 30 ft; Blind Sight 10 ft
STR: 2 (-4); DEX: 16 (+3); CON: 11 (+0); INT: 1 (-5); WIS: 10 (+0); CHA: 3 (-4)
Bite: +5 melee, 1 hp piercing DC 10 Con for half or 2d4 poison
Last edited by jmucchiello on Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:18 am, edited 5 times in total.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

The gnome should have 20 HP shouldn't she, 6maxLvL1+4half+4half+6con ?
"Something pithy this way comes."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

And Thea should have 2 Cantrips from the Wizard list from Arcana domain, currently she only has 1 listed [Firebolt]. (In addition to the 2 she gets from Magic Initiate)
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

I probably calced her hp before settling on Con.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Ignorant question, when helping someone with a task, they can roll with advantage, right?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

yes
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Nature seems fair in this case. I'll allow it.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

I missed that. Thank you. I play a Life Cleric in Adventure League so Arcana is new for me.

I'd be tempted to take Minor Illusion but I wouldn't want to step on the bard's toes. Think it'd be okay?
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Please do. Minor Illusion is better if two people have it. One can do the visual and the other the audio.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

OK. Thanks.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

What spells does Nalvarti have? Spells determine a wizard's role in a group more than anything else.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

I'm having trouble picking them because I've never played a 5E wizard before and this isn't my first choice character, remember. And I don't understand this dependence on Role. I've played D&D for nearly 35 years now and never once have I said, "how can we play without a proper tank?" Roles exist but they do not determine party viability really.

People in the world don't go around saying, "Hey, I'd like to go on an adventure with you but we don't have a striker so I'm leery to go with you."

In any case, she will probably not be a high damage person. I'm leaning toward hold person type spells. If that helps. If I had to pick a "role" I'd pick anti-magic magic, the person who keeps the other magic users occupied so the people with pointy sticks can kill them.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

If you're going to play American Football you want the Quarterback to have a few good blockers, someone to rush/pressure their QB, a runningback to penetrate their lines (ideally a few so the QB has options), and a guy for strategies and encouragements.

Different roles offer the GM a wider variety of stories they can tell
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Just depends on the type of gaming you're planning for. some adventures are more geared toward specific make-ups, while others are a lot more freeform. Epic wanted a group that had roles more in line with your classic adventuring group, I believe, though not precisely in the absolutely stereotypical.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:38 pm Different roles offer the GM a wider variety of stories they can tell
I totally disagree. I'm also not much on niche protection. But I also don't think this is the place to discuss role theory.

Regardless, the mage I've made is not a tank, and not a striker. So controller is all that's left unless you have some other role that I'm unaware of. (I'm leaning again toward Enchantment school.)