[IC] – M&M 3e – A New Heaven and New Earth - From What You have Fallen

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
mrdent12

Re: [IC] – M&M 3e – A New Heaven and New Earth - The Time is Near

Post by mrdent12 »

Robert Murray
CND: Fine
HP: 1

“Did you solve the crime ?”, he says with a half-smile, sealing the door shut after you exit. After a brief bit of banter with the officers, you head home .
"It was the butler with the candle stick in the sitting room.", jokingly remarks Robert. In truth, the warehouse was likely a cover for something like a meeting place or possibly assembly of crime bosses or something like that. Clearly, it didn't house any wares. There was one person who might have some answers though and that was Yuki Uchiboro. If he would give any was the question.
As you drive back home, you get a voice-mail message from Pak, “You ok? I haven’t heard from you. I had a few words with a couple of locals who interact with some of the street-level Yakuza in Norcross. I didn’t get much. You’d think they’d be willing to talk after getting squeezed by these guys for years, but they were pretty tight-lipped. The only thing I did manage to get was some vague mumbo-jumbo about nasty “internal squabbles at the top of the food chain” about 4 or 5 years ago, and then how things got worse for local store-owners shortly after that. I know it’s not much, but…oh well. I’m gonna question some known gangsters from the Korean-side tomorrow. What’s on your agenda?”
As he pulls onto the street to get a pint or two than pop off to bed, Robert pulls out his phone and dials Pak. Given the time, it was understandable that the call went to voicemail. "Skipping my calls now?", starts Robert cheekily. "This warehouse, is clearly not just another warehouse. Might want to have your people check up on that. A source says its owned by Yuki and before that some HVAC company called APEX. I'm going to pay a friendly visit to the man who might have some answers after getting some rest. If Yuki doesn't run the place, he might know who would have a key to give out.", says Robert before hanging up.

After stopping by a bar nearby his office/apartment, Robert took a few more shots for good measure. They never really stayed long owning to his constitution. The next morning as he was sipping some extra strong Turkish coffee, he hoped that same constitution would keep him alive visiting a possible crime boss alone.

Packing his pistol, just in case he needed the intimidation factor, Robert first headed over to the command post at 8am or so to fill Pak in on what he had found so far plus the plans for swinging by Yuki's place. It was the usual type of interaction he had with the feds. They wanted him to have some protection, he refused, they insisted, he said no still, and eventually they relented so long as he didn't die. If thy didn't know already, it was becoming clear killing him was tough. It was likely why they brought him in on the case despite there being a whole task force.

Next, he made his way to the the sushi restaurant parking as near as he could to it an hour before opening. In all hopes, they might be dismayed from trying anything that close to opening and during prep time for fear of looking suspicious. If not, well than it might get interesting. Walking up casually, he knocks on the main entrance. "Hello? You guys open? Heard this place is great and just had to meet the owner.", says Robert loudly.
Perception 15
Last edited by mrdent12 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Camus

Sahir

Post by Camus »

Sahir takes the sight out of the road for a moment to give Henry an empathic look. "I can't imagine how you feel Henry. But I've formulated a theory on how to help you out. I know this might sound like crazy talk to you, but basically what is happening to you is that your body has changed the way it processes food. Normal food don't satiate you, so that is why you get these carvings. More so, your metabolism is even higher so you need more energy. Until I get more checks I don't know what would calm your hunger. We'll get as much food from macs for now, and then some more so you can have some sustenance. Then we'll try some other sources of energy for you. It's that alright? You can trust I'll find it, I'm they only person I know that is smarter than your old man. " he adds the last bit to lighten the mood as he steps on the gas.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Spectrum

Re: [IC] – M&M 3e – A New Heaven and New Earth - The Time is Near

Post by Spectrum »

Arachne

Arachne 'smiles', showing interest, even flirting in her own rather clumsy way with the handsome politician. She kept trying to turn the conversation back towards him, finding out what his areas of special interest were, about his big plans, about why he got into politics if he actually was intent on doing good for the people, so much to learn, so little time.

"I think that its a win-win for many. Still, I can't help but feel that some people, young men, are getting intentionally excluded. It's hard for young boys to put their foot into the areas of fashion and yet.. so often that's an underserved market. Just as girls are learning that there's beauty in being active, young boys need to learn that there's activity in beauty." she sighs a bit, "But those ideas really haven't come together for me. Perhaps in time."

As she gets out of the car, she lightly brushes one of her hands across Ray's arm, a gaze from her many eyes into his. "Oh, a pleasure shared is a pleasure doubled. Please, do so. I will look forward to it." she sighhisses softly, looking a bit sad, "Truly, I want to help you handle these issues. I just.." another sigh, "I believe in the rules that man, and god, have made."

She takes a step back, "But I bid you adieu and look forward to hearing your voice once more."

She wasn't going to skip back, she certainly wasn't going to dance, but oh how he left her feeling alive. It had been so long since a man had appeared to take such an interest.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Supernaturalist

Re: [IC] – M&M 3e – A New Heaven and New Earth - From What You have Fallen

Post by Supernaturalist »

A New Heaven and New Earth - Chapter 2: From What You have Fallen

Robert Murray
OOC: Just a note about chronology, Robert's narrative is occuring the morning after both Arachne and Sahir's narrative (which occured the evening before). Also, there is going to be news regarding both Arachne and Sahir that Robert hears about on TV the next morning. I'm going to have to hold off about what Robert hears on the news until Arachne's and Sahir's scenes play out...all the problems of running different stories ;) . This means I may request and extra post or two in rapid succession from Sahir (and almost certainly Arachne).
You awake the next morning feeling mentally and physically refreshed. After a good night's sleep, your mind always seems to be at it's sharpest. You sip your coffee and get dressed for a visit to Mr. Uchiboro's business/residence. With the TV on in the background, you overhear news about a clash between protesters in downtown Atlanta yesterday evening. As you buckle up your belt -all the while gazing at the TV screen - you see a confusing melee ensue between a group a pro mutant-rights activists and KGP-activists. One thing you notice is that all the KGP members have some kind if emblem on their jackets and T-shirts, it looks like a double-helix strand of DNA except that the color is solid gold. Although the KGP appear to be largely Caucasian, there are enough representations of other ethnicities such that it doesn't resemble KKK rallies of old.

You prep a powerful handgun and stash it before heading over to meet with Pak. He doesn't like that you're going to meet Uchiboro alone, but concedes that everything he's read about you indicates that you're one tough "out" if someone else decides to get ornery. He does warn you that a large portion of the APD is tied up due to the aftermath of the protests as well as a couple of other incidents which occurred last night, so if he does get in to trouble, the response may be slower than normal.

You cruise back up I-85 and exit near the Doraville/Norcorss area. After a few minutes of driving past signs in various Asian languages, you veer off the main business road onto a slightly less traveled street. After a few more minutes you arrive in front of Uchiboro's modest little restaurant. As you pull into a parking spot, you see that there are two men sitting outside at a small table sipping hot tea. The look like they are in their 30s (maybe early 40s). They are well dressed. Although you can see portions of tattoos above their shirt collars or just below the sleeves of their coat, they are not wearing clothing that "shows off" their body-art.

"Hello? You guys open? Heard this place is great and just had to meet the owner." They both stand up and eye you with a vigilant gaze. "The owner?" one says with a raised eyebrow. "May I ask who's interested? I've never seen you dine here before." You also notice that the man's eyes shift from you to across the street (back behind you) for just a moment before returning back to look directly at you.

Arachne

Back home at your "Parlor" there is little down with your busy schedule. It seems that there is always work that can be done no matter where you are. The webs and spiders around you might cause fear and panic to others, but you've become quite relaxed in this environment. You understand the arachnids scattered around your living-space and they understand you, there is a mutual respect...oddly enough. Somehow...someway...they just know that they have nothing to fear from you.

Though you are scheduled to be at the office tomorrow, you just can't help keeping yourself busy even when you're at home. You call the APD to follow up on the "scare-package" that was sent to you the day before. An administrative assistant tells you that the investigator assigned to your case is not in at the moment, but she'll leave a message for him to call you as soon as he returns in the morning.

During the evening, you prepare yourself a meal and spend sometime looking up info on Ra-Von Jackson. You spend the rest of the time just past dusk compiling all the info available on the web. It's easy enough to find his web-page as he's a public official in the state "House" legislature representing Georgia's 88th district in Gwinnett County. It is predominantly an African-American district; he won his last election with roughly 100% of the vote as there was no other party challenge.
OOC: If there's any private info you want to know about, just ask. I'll include it in the OOC thread (assuming it's available).
Loosing track of time, you are just wrapping up your research when your phone chirps signalling a text message from Judith. "<Hey! I are you watching Channel 2 nightly news? Isn't that guy you had lunch with today?>"

As you click on your large HD Plasma television, you see Ra'von standing next to a reporter. He smiles as he stands in front of a large group of protesters. "Yes, these people will take our message all the way to the Gold Dome! Everyone is gonna know that we will not accept the mistreatment of these people!" You hear cheers from many of the protesters in the background. "So, Mr. Jackson. Will you be speaking at the capitol today?", the reporter follows up.

"No ma'am. My deputy-organizer, Cynthia Bray, will be speaking. I'll be leaving for Miami and then New Orleans to help organize other protests. This is bigger than Georgia and even the U.S....this is a world issue. We need a global movement; and that's what I'm called to assist." With that he looks down at his watch, just like he did repeatedly at the restaurant before bidding everyone farewell. Apparently this news clip was taken earlier during the day and prior to the actual march. Next, the news footage switches to the present live coverage of the capital building where a large police presence is obvious. It looks like complete chaos downtown, with portions of the crowd brawling with one another.
OOC: you last Perception roll affects what follows
Suddenly, the lights as well as all the electronics in your home flicker for a brief moment, then they all go out. There is little time to be alarmed. A deafening roar of multiple, automatic weapons erupt through both the larger, balcony window as well as one of your smaller side-windows...all of it focused on you.
OOC: First, Give yourself one extra HP as I just invoked two of your complications. I believe you have 3 now. Ok, I rolled the team attack for the antagonists. One hit, but the others actually failed to contribute. I rolled rather poorly to be honest. Arachne has half her dodge this first round since she was surprised. She must make a toughness check against a rank 5 damage effect, so a DC of 20. She must also make an initiative roll. I realize she has infravision and ultravision, so that will improve her ability to see things even in the relative absence of normal light.

Sahir

As you sit at the intersection waiting for the light to change, Henri's nauseated expression begins to transform to one of anguish. "I...I'm not going to make it." He grunts. "I..."

Despite the grimace of pain on his face and his trembling hands, he manages to unbuckle his seat-belt and flop out of the convertible sports-car onto the road.

"Henri!", Gerard screams as he too unbuckles his seat-belt in order to exit the car.

For a moment you can't actually see Henri as the view of him is blocked by the passenger-side door. When he stands back up, legs wobbling, he is glowing with an aura of yellow and red. Then he lets out a blood-curling scream as his twitching, staggering body lurches towards the intersection.

Suddenly his bathrobe ignites into flame, creating an astounding event for all nearby to see. Cars speeding through the intersection from a parallel direction suddenly see the dim evening brighten from the flame-engulfed human standing in the crossroad. There is a screech as several cars slam on their brakes and swerve to avoid Henri. One car veers into a light pole while another collides head on with a car from the on-coming lane.

Henri's body brightens to an extremely luminous glow, and it seems to you that a blob of the sun itself has been dropped on the highway in front of you. Then, just as suddenly as it started, the fire goes out, and the glow fades. Henri collapses face down on the pavement, naked as a jaybird.

Dr. Lefort is already out of the car running towards Henri's unconscious body. But you and Dr. Epstein don't quite react like the panicking-parent. It's a shocking sight and healthy caution overrides your desire to rush to the side of someone who looked like they were about to go "supernova".
OOC: You are free to act as you please. You do notice that a crowd is starting to form quickly both from drivers getting out of their cars and people coming out of nearby businesses that are still open.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Arachne
Hp 2
Condition: staggered
It had been a delightful day, the meeting with Ra-Von had gone awkwardly, but it still had provided inspiration and flashes of creativity throughout the day. It had proven to be a productive day, getting lots of work done, and yet there was always so much more work to do.

But she had decided to take the time away from production to find out more about Mr Jackson. It was not just about reading up through the Interwebs, but also reaching out to her contacts. What sort of man was Mr Jackson? What had he proposed? What had his voting record been? Was this another case similar to that obnoxious wailing woman from New York that was bought and purchased by outside money with very little support from her own people? The district with the properly dyed glass of water could have won? That seemed far more interested in making herself well known to the country as a whole for her endless crusades against the establishment rather than taking the time to take care of her own constituents?

What of his personal life? Where did he come from? Who claimed him and he claimed in turn? Were there any signs of him becoming a mutant? Sudden lapses in his history? Known as a womanizer, a drunkard, a neverdowell? What was his story? What were the tales told of him?

With the chirp, Arachne looked up and towards the phone.. and from there turned on the display in the downstairs office. She couldn't help but smile as he seemed so self assured, so very confident that he was doing Right. But the road to Hell was paved with good intentions. How could he so easily turn away from the laws of man in his quest? What was it with that watch? What was he looking to happen.. and when? Much less so very important that he would take a look while being recorded? Was it just a nervous tic or was it something more?

It took a moment to realize that the electric lights had gone out. Unlike most people, they were but a single range of her vision and often, not even the most important. It almost took as long for her to realize that the pop pop pop from outside wasn't just the sound of fireworks or a car with an engine problem backfiring and puttering along. No, what finally was the clue was a sharp hiss as something smacked into her mandible and twisted her around, leaving her whimpering as her jaw was effectively broken.

Stunned and out of sorts, she looked on in horror as more gunfire stitched across the wall before her, shattering picture frames of past work and letters of thanks from charities...

Her head rang, her motions unstable, she started to crawl away. But to where? Where could be safe? She should head up? And what of her work? So much hard work, so many promises made, that could be so casually destroyed in this senseless attack.

And why?
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Robert Murray

Hello? You guys open? Heard this place is great and just had to meet the owner." They both stand up and eye you with a vigilant gaze. "The owner?" one says with a raised eyebrow. "May I ask who's interested? I've never seen you dine here before." You also notice that the man's eyes shift from you to across the street (back behind you) for just a moment before returning back to look directly at you.
Robert brushes off the question with a casual shrug taking note of the look. After the morning he had and the reports of fighting breaking out, two or possibly more thugs didn't bother him too much. Besides, whats the worst they could do? "You don't recognize me? Its Robert. While I don't like sushi too much myself, more of a burger and fries or recently alligator guy myself, part of my job to to get to know people. I was checking out this warehouse for a client that was supposedly owned by this owner as part of a case. To my surprise, he's some big time chef.", begins Robert taking the round about way of answering the query.

"Now, I was asking myself why a supposedly big time chef would have a warehouse full of empty crates. Plus I just had to know how he kept it so pristine in such a bad neighborhood. Putting it altogether, figured I pay a visit. It's a hazard of being a private investigator to want to get answers to these sort of questions.", says Robert leaving out details intentionally.

He was int he right place. These blokes were not our normal bouncers or security. The retired notes might not have been completely accurate.
Thought I had taken assessment, but I guess not.
Supernaturalist

Robert Murray
Robert Murray said: "Now, I was asking myself why a supposedly big time chef would have a warehouse full of empty crates. Plus I just had to know how he kept it so pristine in such a bad neighborhood. Putting it altogether, figured I pay a visit. It's a hazard of being a private investigator to want to get answers to these sort of questions.", says Robert leaving out details intentionally.
The two men glance at one another when you mention "private investigator". "Do you have credentials, detective?", says same man who spoke to you initially.
OOC: I'll assume you'll show proof of your authority. If not, or you wish to do something else, then I'll adjust what follows.
He taps the arm of the other well-dressed man of Asian-descent. "Go let Mr. Uchiboro know that a detective is here. He says he wants a meal, but I fancy he wants to speak with him about Dan too."

The other gentleman disappears inside the establishment, while the talkative one waits for you to produce a badge.

"I figured the police would be here eventually. Can't you guys just leave the family in peace to mourn the loss of their son?"
OOC: You can chit-chat with him briefly - if you wish- in your post before heading into the restaurant. I'm making a perception roll for Mr. Uchiboro here. It is a DC 25 (at least initially), so it's not likely he'll succeed. Still....Supernaturalist:1D20+6 → 24(18 + 6). Close....but no cigar.
As you enter the restaurant, you notice two more men sitting near the back of the restaurant. It looks like they were playing Mahjong until you arrived. There is one more Asian man near the front door of the restaurant. He's a rather large individual. In fact your immediate impression is "Sumo Wrestler".

Behind the counter stands a diminutive Asian man and woman. At first they ignore you as you enter, apparently working in tandem to prepare sushi for the coming lunch rush. But then he looks up and sees you. It looks as if he were going to say something until he sees your face. There's a slight pause before he glances over at his wife. He mumbles something in japanese. She bows and leaves the counter-area for the kitchen.

As he looks back to you, he walks out from behind the counter before giving you a courteous bow. "I am Yuki Uchiboro. It is my pleasure to meet you. How may I be of assistance, detective?"

Arachne
OOC: Spectrum, since we are in the midst of a combat-situation, the post to you will be shorter. I am going to speed things up for you in particular. I'm willing to post to you very frequently since we are in the midst of a fight. If not, then this scene will take forever to resolve. I just wanted to let you know that I'll respond very quickly to your posts until this scene is over."
Also, there are three attackers. Since they are once again attempting to overwhelm you with a team attack, they must go on the turn of the slowest attacker. Since that is the case, you will have initiative this round.
The first, shattering burst of gun-fire seems like it lasts forever. For all the bullets that were expended, you were actually hit by a relatively small fraction. Unfortunately, they struck you in areas where your are painfully vulnerable. The muzzle-flashes make it difficult for your infravision to get a clear view of their forms, but it also interferes with their night-vision gear as well. That's part of the reason they pause....to get a clearer look at where you are in the room.

The other reason is to replace the large banana-clip magazines in their fully automatic rifles.

"She's there on the floor." , You hear one of them say in a gruff voice. "Exterminate this genetic mistake and lets get outta here!"
OOC: The ball is in your court.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Arachne
Hp 2
Condition: staggered

Things had indeed become desperate. But this was her home, her artwork, her friends. She would not go gentle into that gentle into that dark night.

Instead, she was forced to become crafty and clever.

With a soft gasp, she levered onto her back. Her hands and legs spread widely as she let her web cast freely, tangling it across the walls, floor and ceiling, filling the room, not completely but rather strategically. The thick webbing stronger than steel and almost as durable.

And providing an excellent starting port for the next part of her plan.

Her mandibles in agony as she called out in the tongue of the eight legged horde all around her.

"We are in danger my friends, protect us and we shall feast upon their flesh!"

And indeed the masses began to gaze on in hunger.
After edit
A moment's pause, her head tilting to the side as she listens to a wise mention from one of her eight legged friends. With a soft grunt, she started to move. While she could not keep the web up and move quickly, she could start to move all the same, moving towards somewhere more concealing, more hidden. She knew that this was going to tire her even further, to force her into torpor.
Will be Exhausted next round
Last edited by Spectrum on Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Robert Murray

He taps the arm of the other well-dressed man of Asian-descent. "Go let Mr. Uchiboro know that a detective is here. He says he wants a meal, but I fancy he wants to speak with him about Dan too."

The other gentleman disappears inside the establishment, while the talkative one waits for you to produce a badge.

"I figured the police would be here eventually. Can't you guys just leave the family in peace to mourn the loss of their son?"
Robert fishes out his PI license, a bit worse for wear, but still obvious he is properly licensed and has been certified. "After what happen at your bosses warehouse, your lucky the whole FBI isn't here. You guys couldn't come up with a better front for clandestine meetings? You know one with stuff to make it look like an in use warehouse?", remarks Robert while waiting. "I know I haven't been in this city long, but I've known a few gang areas. I'd think you guys be used to this sort of thing by now. Still, sorry for your loss if you knew any of the dead. Looks to me though you have your hands full keeping your eyes on whoever is behind me.", adds Robert. While not comforting, his tone is more shooting the breeze than mocking. Almost as if the line of work of the goons and owner was a given.
As he looks back to you, he walks out from behind the counter before giving you a courteous bow. "I am Yuki Uchiboro. It is my pleasure to meet you. How may I be of assistance, detective?"
As Robert walks into the place, he takes in the scene. There was the muscle and almost a given mahjong table before things opened up. To most, the big guy would be threatening, but to Robert it was just another person that would underestimate him. On first blush, it didn't look like any nefarious dealings were going on. As Robert knew though, appearances can be deceiving. Bowing a little to the man, Robert speaks with his same standard cheeky sort of tone. "Detective, don't get many people calling me by my job name. I am not wearing a wire or being recorded. All I am looking for is information. Seems you own a warehouse, bought from some HVAC company a while ago that is now a crime scene for a murder I'm sure you've heard about. Anything you can tell me about who would have a key to the place?", inquires Robert.
Supernaturalist

Robert Murray

The man who had scrutinized your badge walks over and whispers into Uchiboro’s ear, while the elderly Asian man gazes at you stoically.

I don’t mind speaking with you briefly, Detective Murray, but any extensive questioning will have to take place with my lawyer present. Please…come in and have a seat. My restaurant opens in half-an-hour and we are making preparations. Would you like a few complimentary sushi rolls? I’m am often praised for my Cucumber and Shrimp Tempura rolls…they would be “’on the house” if you’re interested.
OOC: It’s up to you on whether you accept them or not. He’s preparing them literally in front of you, so any foul play is unlikely.
Though feeble-looking, the old man wields his utensils with surprising dexterity. a razor-sharp knife flits about trimming impossibly thin layers of fish-flesh.

The two original “greeters” that you met return to their table outside, leaving you with the two “’Mahjong-players” as well as “Mr. Sumo Wrestler”.

I knew there would be inquiries from the police, Detective Murray. I assure you that I had nothing to do with that mess at the old warehouse. I do have a key to it; that much is true. Of course my son had a key and there is no telling to whom else he may have given one. My son was not…” He stops his work briefly staring off into space as if daydreaming. “…he was not the most careful of men.” As he returns to his work, you sense in his facial expression a genuine look of sadness.

Detective…I cannot help but think that we have met before, or that I have seen you before. I apologize for my mind. I am old and my faculties are not what they once were. Do we know one another?

Arachne
OOC: Ok, you’ve used 1 HP. That should leave you with 1 more. Technically, you could use the last HP to remove your Exhausted condition if you wish. Just reminding you of that option. As it stands, I’ll allow your spider swarm to count as rank 1 damage affect since they would attack as a swarm (there are some Black Widow's and Brown Recluses mixed in there, so the damage would be far from trivial, especially if someone were allergic). However, It is not as if your loft is absolutely saturated with spiders, so the attacks will come in small-group “bursts”. The antagonists will still get a parry defense (stomping on the spiders, brushing them off, etc.) The antagonists will get a perception roll (though difficult due to the fact that the spiders are cold-blooded and have little difference in body temperature from the ambient temperature of the room. If the killers do not see the spiders initially, then the spiders will gain a surprise attack the first round.
Though struck by several rifle-rounds that would have killed most human beings, the young mutant is still conscious and determined to survive. After filling the main living-area with a web of sticky fibers, she summons up reserves of superhuman stamina to skitter rapidly away despite her wounds.

From the balcony window as well as a nearby living room window, there is a brief clattering as ammunition-magazines are rapidly replaced and rifle-rounds are chambered in order to complete the assassination.

Where is the b!tch!?!

Quiet, Bravo! Charlie, do you have eyes in the target?

Negative, Alpha! I’m not picking up anything on infrared or visual.

Can this freak just disappear? That was not in the briefing!

Keep calm! Charlie, stay put and provide cover. I’ll provide cover from the balcony window as well. Bravo, proceed inside, locate the target, and fulfill the objective.
OOC: I’ve assumed that you have moved just off the hallway leading from the living area, past the kitchen, to your bedroom in the back. You can hear movement in the living room area and you can communicate with your spider companions. They will relay the position of the belligerents to you.
The belligerent "Bravo" has detached his rappelling- rope and stepped into the living-room. Here is his perception roll: Supernaturalist:1D20+2 → 22(20 + 2). Wow...a natural 20. The final result is a 22.
Activating a small LED flashlight drawn from his jacket, one of the killers removes his rope and hops through the shattered balcony-door glass into the living room. He pauses as he moves the light from point to point looking for his target. He is startled to see a complex web of something-he-knows-not-what crisscrossing the room. In fact, he would have become stuck in it if he had jumped into the room just a few more inches.

As bizarre as the webbing is, however, it is what he sees next that almost makes his heart stop. Parts of the floor...the walls....the ceiling...are moving. And they are moving slowly towards him. At first he thinks it an optical illusion, a mere trick of the poor lighting. But as he lowers the flashlight near his feet, he sees spiders, a blob made up of hundreds of them, moving right for his pant-leg.

"OH! OH MY GOD!" He screams back-peddling frantically towards the balcony and his rappelling rope. "SPIDERS! SH!T LOADS OF SPIDERS!"
OOC: Ok, he was successful enough to avoid the web and spiders, but he and his fellow antagonists are now outside the house re-assessing the situation. The leader, ALPHA as well as the other soldier, CHARLIE, will take Ready actions with their guns pointed down the hallway. They will not act this turn while Alpha tries to figure out their groups next move. This initiative moves back to you if you wish to do anything.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Robert Murray

“I don’t mind speaking with you briefly, Detective Murray, but any extensive questioning will have to take place with my lawyer present. Please…come in and have a seat. My restaurant opens in half-an-hour and we are making preparations. Would you like a few complimentary sushi rolls? I’m am often praised for my Cucumber and Shrimp Tempura rolls…they would be “’on the house” if you’re interested.”
"I am not one to turn down free rolls. Until recently, had to watch my budget so couldn't get this good of food. With business booming in town now, the private investigator trade is booming. I've been through the drill though. Someone who is muscled up and associated with all sorts of criminals, can't blame you for wanting a lawyer.", says Robert showing no threatening body language and even giving an appreciative nod at the old man. Once ready, he tries one or two, out of politeness of course.
“I knew there would be inquiries from the police, Detective Murray. I assure you that I had nothing to do with that mess at the old warehouse. I do have a key to it; that much is true. Of course my son had a key and there is no telling to whom else he may have given one. My son was not…” He stops his work briefly staring off into space as if daydreaming. “…he was not the most careful of men.” As he returns to his work, you sense in his facial expression a genuine look of sadness.

“Detective…I cannot help but think that we have met before, or that I have seen you before. I apologize for my mind. I am old and my faculties are not what they once were. Do we know one another?”
When mention of being a cop came up, his face made a distinct sign of annoyance before returning to normal. "Working for the cops from time to time pays the bills. Its steady work. They hire me at times to do some of the work they aren't well suited, but I am not a cop. They are a client same as the husbands who think their wives are stepping out or the occasional rich guy wanting some extra protection. I've only been in the city bout a year now, so you might have heard my name in some circles. Made quite the name for myself working for the cops at one point. Can't say if we've met though.", retorts Robert. Realizing his answer might be off putting, he quickly pivots.

"If you do happen to gain from the incident in the criminal world, I am not hired for that. Given how the attack occurred and preceding events, it doesn't seem like it would be your style.", adds Robert to try and put the man at ease.

Pondering on the remark on the son for a moment, he continues. "So if your son might have been a little loose with the key, do you know what he might have been using the warehouse for or else might a copy on accident? Maybe someone he hung out with? Just seems strange you would keep a warehouse and do nothing with it to the point of keeping old boxes there.", adds Robert in furtherance of his line of question.
Supernaturalist

Robert Murray

The elder Uchiboro places the freshly prepared food in front of you along with a glass of water. “Saki, Detective Murray?” He says as he holds up a small bottle for you to see. After waiting for you to respond, he pours himself a very small portion into a what appears to be a thimble-sized cup. After taking a shot, he continues to cook and speak with you at the same time.

I’m not sure how long you have been on this case, Detective. I’m sure you are discovering more about my son and my family every day.” As he finishes a tray of sushi rolls, he puts down his knives and looks directly at you. “It is not a secret that my son’s business acumen was poor. I bequeathed to him much that he squandered. My son’s generation knows little of restraint. When he took over family affairs, there was little I could do but offer him counsel. Much of it he ignored. Now he and almost all his young loyalists are either in jail, suffering from debilitating injuries, or dead."

After a deep breath and pause, he continues. “That warehouse used to be full of inventory. When I utilized it, food items and restaurant supplies were kept there. When I first granted it to my son, automotive parts and tools were in store. It has always been a place convenient for meetings. Lately I imagine it is only used for such, since my son’s primary business – car repair - has been withering on the vine for years. As for someone who might be the beneficiary of a key? He could have given one to any of his closest associates. He might have even been careless enough to give one to his girlfriend for all I know.

As you continue to eat, he stops for a moment to hand you a small plate with a piece of dessert on it. It looks like a cross-section of swiss-roll cake, but it’s green with a green crème filling. “It is a sponge cake with Matcha crème. It’s one of my favorites. Please…accept it.

After placing it before you, he cracks a slight smile before resuming his conversation. “I mourn the passing of my son, detective. I shall, however, honor him by resuming my position as the head of family businesses here. Is there anything else I can help you with, detective?
OOC: Please make a perception roll. This will be a fairly low DC to notice some things about the scene. I’d also like an insight roll in order to reflect the “feeling” that you are getting from the things you notice about your surroundings. This will be a slightly higher difficulty. If you want, you can place the rolls in the OOC thread. I'll then come back to this post and add any information that you may have gleaned. Also, whenever you finish your conversation with the Elder Uchiboro, I’ll make another perception roll for him. It will be the same difficulty as the first one he had to make.

Current Events

There are news reports of a man-on-fire who collapsed naked at an intersection in downtown Atlanta. Remarkably his body was only partially covered in 3rd degree burns. Rumor has it that he was taken to the CDC instead of the renowned “burn-unit” at Grady Hospital. He is currently being monitored by some of the most renowned scientists in the Western Hemisphere. Normally that would be one of the biggest stories of the day, but other “shocking news” events are competing for international attention.

In London, England, a young woman walks into a bank and robs it. Inexplicably, she manages to scramble security-cameras and cell-phones in the immediate area. When police respond, they find their weapons to be ineffective in subduing her. Three police officers are incapacitated – apparently by electric shock – one of them dies from cardiac arrest. She escapes with several million pounds in paper currency.

The well-know (and controversial) fashion designer, Rebekah Yoder (a.k.a. Arachne), was attacked in her midtown flat last night. Several gunmen opened fire after rappelling down from her roof. Though seriously injured, she managed to survive after the assailants fled due to a surprisingly fast police response. She has been admitted to Piedmont Hospital and is under police protection there.

There have been rumors that a U.S. Ohio-class ballistic-missile submarine has gone missing. The New York Times (along with several other leading news agencies) claim that independent sources confirm the disappearance of USS Tennessee operating somewhere in the vicinity of the Bering Sea. The U.S. government is not confirming or denying any reports at the time. However, several members of the President’s National Security Council have been seen entering White House grounds as of this morning.

As a result of recent events world leaders are on edge and governments are scrambling to give their citizens assurance of security and peace.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Robert Murray

Robert nods and sips the Saki as he processes it all. A new crime boss was the least of Roberts concerns at the moment as there seemed to be someone who could turn invisible and hiring out for hits. Crime bosses come and go. Invisible turning mercenaries would jeopardize him and others like himself for things far worse than bad press.

"What you do with your business and how you honour your son is your business. I was hired to figure out what happen at the warehouse and who paid for the hit.", begins Robert trying to put the old man at ease even more hopefully. "If I were to guess, you have some ideas, but based on the big guy and your goons around here you probably have the matter in hand on your side. You probably already have a good idea who might be watching you from across the street. Could be the law who hired me or someone else.", continues Robert pausing to accept the sponge cake.

After finishing it, he nods in thanks again. "Delicious, I should have come here sooner. Some of the women I dated always wanted to go to sushi places, but before the recent pick up in business and not knowing the good places around here didn't know a good one to take them. Might need to come back here for a proper meal after this is all over. Somehow I get the sense your men wouldn't want me coming back here in a professional capacity.", says Robert looking around again.

Getting up to leave, Robert leaves a final parting remark to the old man. "While I'm sure you know what you are doing, in this case you might need the help of someone like me if you find the killer or if you hired him and he turns on you. My numbers online and in the yellow pages if anyone bothers to read those anymore.", says Robert leaving a business card behind.

Any further questioning was likely a futile endeavor on his part since the key seemed to be the lead. Whoever gave the key, hired the invisible killer, and could lead him back to the killer. The killer might have also stole the key, but that would be a whole different search. As he walked back to his car, he took stock of the situation.
Rolled 29 in the dice room.
Supernaturalist

Robert Murray
OOC: You succeeded on your Investigation roll by 2 degrees (almost 3).
The visit with the Elder Uchiboro has been surprisingly cordial and free of antipathy. It is just one of many things that strikes you as odd.

From his modest restaurant to the fact that he lives in a relatively austere apartment above his business, he does not seem to fit your standard image of a “crime boss”. It is true that his son had the reigns for several years, and that his son had the reputation for being financially irresponsible over those years, but most people would expect some affluence if not outright opulence from the leader of a major metropolitan crime family. Perhaps his son did more financial damage than is publicly known.

Other aspects of the visit don’t feel right. The Elder Uchiboro just lost his oldest son only a few days ago. Yet he seems mostly unscathed by his recent loss. You were expecting him to play his cards “close to the vest”’ so his emotional restraint is not surprising, but there is little indication that this man is in a state of grief.

My Beloved, the restaurant opens in 10 minutes.” Uchiboro’s wife, who had been dismissed to the kitchen pokes her head out of the swinging kitchen-door. The Elder Uchiboro looks at a quaint wrist-watch before shooting a glance back at her. “Yes, I had lost track of the time.” He looks back at you stoically. “I’m afraid business calls, detective. The next time you wish to speak to me, I shall have an attorney present.

Madame Uchiboro then comes from the kitchen. She places a rack of spices on the counter next to her husband and then turns to you. In her hand is a small paper box. “These are confections that I made, detective. They are Mochi cakes with jam. Eat them yourself or give them to friends.” As she passes you the box, you make eye contact with her. Maybe it’s just you, but her gaze seems to linger on you for an inordinate amount of time. She then lowers her face and returns to the kitchen.

The other men in the establishment watch you vigilantly as you finish your meal and rise to leave the restaurant.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Robert Murray

"The next time we talk, I hope it will be here where I will have an attorney present as well. So I can show her the great food you make and how well you treat your guests. It's so hard to find a good spot for a date nowadays. Glad I tried this place and know all the good dishes now. I'm sure I can find some companion to share the cakes with once I tell them of the other great food here.", replies Robert a bit more relaxed now that he has sized up the situation. It was starting to come into focus a bit more. Of course, more evidence would be needed, but details were starting to line up. He even smelled a possible hint.

Making his way out he smiles at the others present. "I can see why you hang out at this place.", Robert says simply. Someone less durable than him might have been put off by it all, but even if something happened he figured he come out on top. His change has made him a bit more reckless to some. To others, more of a beacon of hope. For his part, he just knew it made him great at his job since he wasn't afraid to ask the tough questions.

Getting back to his car and put the box of confections down next to him, he made sure to get a bit away before calling Pak back. I can't rule out Uchiboro as the person who hired the hit, you should probably check his finances. Hiring someone who can turn invisible can't be cheap and I don't think he is flush with cash right about now. Heading back to the command center. When I get there, I might have a delicious treat or something more. Either way, figure I share it in person., says Robert as he heads back to the command post.