Her Majestiy's other secret service is now dead.

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Poodle

Re: Her Majestiy's other secret service (IC)

Post by Poodle »

The carriage drops the three of you, Iggy, Elizabeth and Manchester, outside a squat stone building near Finchley. The windows are narrow and covered by a fine iron grillwork. The door is recessed and there appears to be a portcullis that can drop down. There is a tall spiky fence that surrounds the place. There are lights on and the gate is open, enabling you to head straight to the oak and iron front door.

Manchester takes one look at the place and shudders... "the place looks too much like her majesties hotel for me. I'm going to see if my people know anything."
He saunters off into the foggy Finchley night.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Hob Henderson
HP: 1; LP: 1; Condition: Normal

Hob let himself out of the study and made his way (very carefully) up the narrow servants' stairs to his room up in the attic- while it was a spacious chamber by household standards it was still pretty cramped for him. He changed from his more society-approved clothing into something more suitable for the streets- a rough linen shirt like a workman might wear, a wool-and-leather vest, coarse dungarees, and his heavy hob-nailed work boots. An older, battered bowler hat was perched on his head, and some heavy work gloves were tucked into his belt.

Soon enough, he was down the back stairs and out the service door at the back of the house, into the alley. As soon as he was back to the street he headed for the docks, his old haunt. A little TOO old, as it turned out- many of the names that he knew were nowhere to be found. Dead in the innumerable street feuds and rough business, jailed for much the same, transported- or worst of all, turned legit... Hours passed, and the few leads he could coax out led him around to the orkeries- if there was a part of town that was worse than the docks, this was it. But Hob spoke the right lingo, and where his fists weren't persuasive Sir Reginald's money was.

Information began to pile up- whether it was GOOD information was yet to be determined...

>OOC: So, not as long as I would like, but Ifinally got SOMETHING. Hopefully enough to start, anyway...

(Copied over the rolls from my earlier OOC post- hopefully the narrative does a reasonable job of tying them together. The idea is:
1. Diplomacy/Connected- try to track down some of his old sources, fail with that roll. Maybe some are out of town, some in jail, some dead (or worse, gone legit)
2. Streetwise to find new points of contact.
3. Gather information to get something useful from the people he finds with Streetwise
4. Current events- nothing useful from daily papers and normal legal/mundane info sources

-Diplomacy (for Connected) 1d20+3= 9
-Gather information 1d20+10= 27
-Expertise (Streetwise) 1d20+10= 21
-Expertise (Current events) 1d20+3= 8

-Rolls: https://orokos.com/roll/769977
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Poodle wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:47 pm The carriage drops the three of you, Iggy, Elizabeth and Manchester, outside a squat stone building near Finchley. The windows are narrow and covered by a fine iron grillwork. The door is recessed and there appears to be a portcullis that can drop down. There is a tall spiky fence that surrounds the place. There are lights on and the gate is open, enabling you to head straight to the oak and iron front door.

Manchester takes one look at the place and shudders... "the place looks too much like her majesties hotel for me. I'm going to see if my people know anything."
Iggy just double-checks the address then strides boldly to the front door, pausing only to calculate how long it would take to disable the door to win their freedom, then knocks loudly.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

A querulous voice calls out as you approach, "begone vermin-friend or feel our wrath..."
You are not quite sure where the voice is coming from.
ooc- make a listen check or if you have magical senses use those
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

@hob
After trying to track down old friends and acquaintances you bump into an old orc friend of yours from the army days. He is now a Mollydoll and goes by the name of Fat Sally. He always seemed to know what was going on and between him and the other "girls" is well aware of local gossip.

Just as you are about to start talking a jeering voice behind you calls out "well, if it isn't his Lord high muckety muck, Sir Flapdoodle's bit of rough. Sally ain't gonna say nothing to a wannabe Peeler like you."
The speaker is a brutish looking orc you remember as Johnny Biggo, a local gang boss. Clustered around him are several orcs, a couple of humans and 3 vicious looking goblins, all trying to look menacing with varying degrees of success.
" When we finishes wiv you he won't need to pretend you iz the Jammiest Jam in London" sneers one of the goblins.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Poodle wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:01 am A querulous voice calls out as you approach, "begone vermin-friend or feel our wrath..."
Notice: 1d20+9 26, Hearing Extended if that helps any.
"Not vermin friend!" Iggy calls out indignant, then reconsiders. "Well, just the once, at University, but it was a phase..."

"Actually more of a vermin-hunter these days. You can help with that, yes?"

Iggy looks around while activating his force field and fixing his place in the y-axis in case he were standing on a trap door. Then making a mental note that he wanted a porch-trapdoor.
nowhereman2

Post by nowhereman2 »

Elizabeth made sure to change into something a bit more reserved and practical than her usual Victorian dress. She walked up to the building with Iggy.
Flynnarrel wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:02 pm
Poodle wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:47 pm The carriage drops the three of you, Iggy, Elizabeth and Manchester, outside a squat stone building near Finchley. The windows are narrow and covered by a fine iron grillwork. The door is recessed and there appears to be a portcullis that can drop down. There is a tall spiky fence that surrounds the place. There are lights on and the gate is open, enabling you to head straight to the oak and iron front door.

Iggy just double-checks the address then strides boldly to the front door, pausing only to calculate how long it would take to disable the door to win their freedom, then knocks loudly.
Flynnarrel wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:03 am
Poodle wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:01 am A querulous voice calls out as you approach, "begone vermin-friend or feel our wrath..."
Notice: 1d20+9 26, Hearing Extended if that helps any.
"Not vermin friend!" Iggy calls out indignant, then reconsiders. "Well, just the once, at University, but it was a phase..."

"Actually more of a vermin-hunter these days. You can help with that, yes?"

Iggy looks around while activating his force field and fixing his place in the y-axis in case he were standing on a trap door. Then making a mental note that he wanted a porch-trapdoor.
Elizabeth pulled out her purse and set it to detect magical devices and other auras. [Investigation Detect Magic, Ranged, Acute, Analytical: 24]

"Hello. My name is Elizabeth. This is my compatriot Iggy. We were interested in asking a few questions."
Fox in the Hole: GM
A Call to Adventure: Arcanum
Changeling - The Dreaming: Socket
Her Majesty's other secret service: Elizabeth Carolynn Erin Renwald
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Elizabeth, you detect a warding in place although it doesn't seem to be affecting you.
Iggy, at the upper register of your hearing you can just detect the hint of some strange discordant music.

Both of you can make a DC 15 will save for me.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

"Shh.. do you hea..." Iggy says before whatever it was overtook him.

Will save: 1d20+5 6
nowhereman2

Post by nowhereman2 »

"Hear what..."

[OOC: Will Save 7]
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Iggy and Elizabeth, the squat brooding building is giving you the creeps. It radiates an air of horrors of the blackest sort. The voice you heard has hints of the demonic in it's unearthly tones. It rings out again "speak the sacred words or be utterly destroyed. '
nowhereman2

Post by nowhereman2 »

This is going well. Elizabeth thought. They had been here for all of a minute and already some sort of demonic voice was threatening them. Surely whoever is here wouldn't want to attract attention by killing two civilians.

Doing her best to feign fear. "I... I... We were just here to find work. We have skills that we were told might be useful. I don't know any sacred words!"
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Iggy, already within the protections of his forcefield heard the panic in Elizabeth's voice and it was mirroring his own that was creeping up right at that moment. His mad-science-altered brain went into overdrive. When Elizabeth came back from reporting to the military by the docks she told of meeting with a couple men she didn't get the names of. She'd flashed around the paper which she had received. There were words only half glimpsed and upside down written there which Iggy's mind now decoded:

"a fronte praecipitium, a tergo ratti." he says in the empty space of panic and need.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

The air of menace instantly disappears. The building is just a squat unnatractive building. The voice is just an elderly man's voice. "gadzooks, why didn't you say so.. Young people, no understanding of tradition (mutter mutter)..."
The door opens and you find yourself in a woodpanelled alcove. It is well lit but seems a little musty and worn.
In the door ahead of you is a square slot set at about 4 ft above the floor. A sign above it reads in a very old-fashioned script." for thine fynalle test, placeth thine hande through thee slotte. Be notte afraide unless thee be enthralled to darke powers". "

The voice says, " come on then, we haven't got all day. Do drop those defences by the way. It does make us a bit nervious. "
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Iggy hesitates only a moment, then nods. "Since we being.... civil."

With a flipped switch the humming field stops and his feet settles more firmly on the ground.

In a show of either extreme bravery, goblin fool-curiosity, or confident mechanation Iggy sticks his mechanical hand into the slot.