Her Majestiy's other secret service is now dead.

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Poodle

Re: Her Majestiy's other secret service (IC)

Post by Poodle »

Manchester studies the manifest disdainfully... "I have never stolen provender for profit. The return is too small and the bulk is too high. If I was going to target a ship this cargo would be good though. It will disappear into almshouses and gentlemen's clubs without anyone being the wiser. I wouldn't be sure even to talk to about it. Maybe our butler might know a few people. "
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Iggy will find Hob and ask him.
"Something pithy this way comes."
nowhereman2

Post by nowhereman2 »

Poodle wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:34 am He sighs and leads you towards a barracks for Her majesty's Royal Dragoons. Eventually you get to an oak-panelled office.Behind the desk is a robust Florid-faced man with a huge moustache and a calculating gaze.
He rises when you enter the room.
"Madame" He gives a half bow. "How may I help you?"
"We are near conclusion of our investigation. It seems that the ship was assailed by pirates while out at sea. Furthermore, we have determined that, among their number, there are wererats and a mage of some sort. We have not yet determined how they have boarded the ship, nor how they have evaded capture by her majesties navy." Elizabeth paused for a moment as Iggy told her he was unable to find any hook marks. She gave the officer a sign to wait a moment.

How on earth could they have gotten onto the ship without hooks? Maybe they swam on, but how could they get the goods off the ship? Wait...

"Iggy, can you check to see if there might have been a magical solution to getting on the ship? Perhaps they flew on or had some other sort of method of getting on or off. We may be looking for the wrong thing."

Elizabeth takes her hand off of her comm unit and give the best curtsy that a mechanical suit would allow. "My apologies. As you can see, we still have a mystery or two to work out. However, it might be a good idea if some of your men try to determine where their good may have been unloaded if indeed they were stolen." Elizabeth then gave the officer a summary of the missing cargo.
Fox in the Hole: GM
A Call to Adventure: Arcanum
Changeling - The Dreaming: Socket
Her Majesty's other secret service: Elizabeth Carolynn Erin Renwald
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

The officer looks at you, "excuse me madam but although I appreciate your concern I am not going to get my boys investigating this. If you want someone to load a 12 pounder on a heaving deck off the coast of Bermuda then they are ideal. For a discrete investigation you would be better off painting your questions on the side of a rhino and releasing it on PallMall. I do have a chappy who is a bit of a rum-do at that sort of stuff though."
He pulls a discrete cord behind his desk.

A short while later a young man in his twenties comes in looking a bit discombobulated. He is a little plump and looks a bit vacuous. His uniform is untidy He barely glances at you before turning to the superior officer.

He idly scratches something out of his ear before remembering to salute, with the wrong hand.
"You rang sir. Is there something you need help with?"

The general shakes his head at this display of unsoldierly conduct. "yes, this young lady has something she would like to tell you about. If you could explain again he might pick up on a few points this addled old brain might have missed.Even inconsequential details might be relevant."
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

The young man idly doodles while you recount events.
When you finish he looks up briefly, "thank you Lady Elizabeth. That helps considerably. We know a few things. We know that they aren't pirates, or wererats. We also can surmise they are a covert goverment team. We know they have had training, probably in India or Nippon, although modus operandi leans more towards India. It wasn't an inside job and the attack occurred at night. The attackers were also concealed, probably by magic aboard the ship. This is not the first time they have done this either. The assailants have nautical experience and a support network. They also have some access to our military information. Probably Dutch...

They are almost certainly based in London and have access to at least one vessel, if not more, although I suspect this early days. I believe that our prompt action may have mitigated the worst effects of this attack. I have the address of some chaps who may know more about the local situation than I do. Although they are a little eccentric they were once the mainstay of our defence against an enemy that few were prepared to deal with.
"
He writes a name and an address on a piece of paper and a phrase in Latin "a fronte praecipitium, a tergo ratti" a precipice in front, rats behind. "

" Any questions? "
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:41 pm Iggy will find Hob and ask him.
Hob Henderson
HP: 1; LP: 1; Condition: Normal

The big orc had been hanging about near the rail of the ship, letting the others finish their investigations. When Iggy approached he nodded slowly. "I've been thinking a bit along those lines. I would guess there are a few of the boyz I might ask, about what happened here and maybe anything else strange what might or might not be connected." Then he sighed. "But I didn't want to go running off while you were all still working- and I can't bring the bunch of you with me, I don't think... Wouldn't give the right impression to the gents I would need to talk to. Once you've wrapped up here and I can get you back to the house safe, or wherever you might be headed, then I'll go twist a few arms and such."

>OOC: Would be looking to go talk to some of the rougher crowd- either orcish dockworkers or local fence and "resale" types (or both), but that would entail splitting the party (since he can't bring everyone along effectively) so I wanted to get the ship-based threads tied off. May have waited a bit too long.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Sir Reginald is sitting back with a small smile on his face, after listwning to your account of the day's events. .
"Excellent work team. Reminds me of my younger days. So what is your next step?"
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Iggy frowns. "Perhaps I miss something. Your instructions were..."
Poodle wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:01 am "The Narwhale" being smashed to bits on Portland Bill. What the papers don't mention is that the crew were dead BEFORE the ship crashed. Our best people examined the bodies. Apparently killed by wild animals. Of course we don't want to alarm people so it's all a bit hush-hush. The Narwhale's last landfall was the Port of Thames and Her Majesty would like you to find out what happened."

"We have told you what happened - attacked by pirates using both magic and rat-people with a possible inside informant giving them information. What would you *like* us to do now? Finding a particular set of pirates when there's no indication they'd need to stay in the area and we do not have a ship is like bailing a barge with a holey bucket. It can be done but people have been trying to end piracy off Her Majesty's shores for as long as there have been ships. Not trying to be difficult but is it the cargo you want recovered or a specific piece of it, is it this particular band of pirates you want brought in or all ship to and from Britannica protected... what?"

[I just saw that Elizabeth radio'ed Iggy to look around for magical entrance onto the ship. His response was that he could build a detector for that but it would take a day or so.]
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Sir Reginald looks at Iggy mildly vexed. "you believe it was pirates, apart from missing cargo, were there any other indicators? Damage to the ship or anything else? Have you found the pirates? Clearly magic and possibly some sort of ratkin were involved. That we have clear evidence of. Everything else is supposition. I would hardly call it case closed. Your team need to find out who did it and make sure it never happens again. Obviously if you could avoud alarming the public with tales of wererats that would be for the best.

Hob. A word with you in private. The billiard room. The rest of you feel free to avail yourselves of the facilities while you discuss what you would like to do next."
Last edited by Poodle on Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Poodle wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:29 am
Hob. A word with you in private. The billiard room. The rest of you feel free to avail yourselves of the facilities.
Hob Henderson

The orc had been standing back against the wall, letting the others present their findings. At Sir Reginald's words, he nodded and replied- while he spoke quietly, it was still a voice so deep it was felt as much as heard. "Of course, Sir." Then he turned and headed where he had been directed.

>OOC: Sorry for the quiet, pretty much across the board. Work has been weird and problematic, and that was where I had been doing most of my non-roll posting (and the issues are cutting into my creative energy even at home. Trying to stay afloat, but it is a trial.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

>OOC not a problem, just happy to have you still with us.. :)

Sir Reginald directs you to a chair, "Well, Hob. What is your opinion of the team? You know I value your judgement on these things... and what is the next step you would like to make. Although they are all in their own way quite brilliant, with the exception of Merriwether I am not sure how streetwise any of them are. There are also places you cannot take armour and explosions. Just in case there are people who prove to be intransigent in your investigations this might prove useful."
He passes you a wallet, you can tell by the weight that it is well loaded with cash. He looks you in the eye and says, "I know you will use it wisely. Don't bother with receipts. If you need more just let me know."
nowhereman2

Post by nowhereman2 »

Poodle wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:51 pm Location: Sir Reginald's drawing room.

Sir Reginald is sitting back with a small smile on his face, after listwning to your account of the day's events. .
"Excellent work team. Reminds me of my younger days. So what is your next step?"
" I would probably suggest we check out the lead we were given by that one chap. What do you know about that man? He seemed rather well-informed of the situation. Is this the first such incident?"
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Poodle wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:38 pm Sir Reginald directs you to a chair, "Well, Hob. What is your opinion of the team? You know I value your judgement on these things... and what is the next step you would like to make. Although they are all in their own way quite brilliant, with the exception of Merriwether I am not sure how streetwise any of them are. There are also places you cannot take armour and explosions. Just in case there are people who prove to be intransigent in your investigations this might prove useful."
He passes you a wallet, you can tell by the weight that it is well loaded with cash. He looks you in the eye and says, "I know you will use it wisely. Don't bother with receipts. If you need more just let me know."
Hob Henderson

The orc eyed the offered chair, but then thought better of it. Not his place, really, to sit down in front of "the boss"- and most chairs weren't built for his weight anyway. When asked for his opinion, though, that was someplace he would be a bit more forward. Since he had been asked, and all.
"That little goblin is promising. Don't no what he's promising, mind you, but he's going to make something happen wherever he goes- something happen or something explode, one or the other. Not sure about her Ladyship- I mean, I know ladies can be clever and sharp and all, but I don't understand that gadgetry she's got, that whole armor and all the other things. And that Merriweather fellow, quite a squirrely chap, he is- clever but just a bit off. Reminds me of that French fellow we ran across down in the rainforest, Belloq I think his name was... All and all, an odd collection- but maybe that's what we need. We'll see, I venture..."

He bowed, and stowed the wallet in one of his coat's pockets. "Guess I better get to making sure you get your money's worth, Sir. I'll be back for breakfast, I don't doubt, and maybe the others will come up with some leads while I'm out." He tipped his hat, then settled it down on his head and took a step towards the door..

>OOC: Don't want to get to far ahead, so I'll leave this for now, in case there is anything before Hob heads out.
nowhereman2

Post by nowhereman2 »

Elizabeth looked at Iggy. "Do you fancy having a look at that lead we were given?"
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

"Absolutely!" the excitable goblin says.