Her Majestiy's other secret service is now dead.

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Poodle

Her Majestiy's other secret service is now dead.

Post by Poodle »

Let the games commence...
It is the year of our lord1899. Blessed Queen Victoria sits upon the throne. England is mightiest nation tbe world has ever seen and London is it's mightiest city. The Emerald Isles industry and technology are world leaders, her Thaumaturges are the envy of other nations. She has even achieved a level of peace between her various races. However all is not well...

You are lead into Sir Reginalds withdrawing room. It is redolent of old money. The walls are decorated with portraits and the fire fills the room with a warm cheery glow. Sir Reginald himself is standing in front of you. A dignified man with a military bearing, although somewhat past his prime. At his shoulder is a large orcish butler attending to his masters needs, which are currently a large brandy and a pipe.

Sir Reginald begins to speak, " a pleasure to meet you all I must say, especially you young lady. These 4 walls need a dash of the fairer sex to liven the place up. I officially welcome you as unit 7 of Her Royal Majesty's Department of Supernatural Affairs. Bravo, bravo, making it through the process. I have of course been watching your careers closely and when they asked me who I wanted I gave your names. The powers that be were extremely happy to recruit you. I suspect they were not quite sure what else to do with you but here you are eh.

Which brings us to your first mission together. There has been foul play and we suspect Dark Forces at work. You might have heard of "The Narwhale" being smashed to bits on Portland Bill. What the papers don't mention is that the crew were dead BEFORE the ship crashed. Our best people examined the bodies. Apparently killed by wild animals. Of course we don't want to alarm people so it's all a bit hush-hush. The Narwhale's last landfall was the Port of Thames and Her Majesty would like you to find out what happened.

So, any questions?"
Last edited by Poodle on Mon May 17, 2021 1:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
Flynnarrel

Re: Her Majestiy's other secret service (IC}

Post by Flynnarrel »

Iggdraxikkerlitsyn seems uncomfortable in the lush drawing room. He likewise seems uncomfortable facing a man who was partly responsible for his state as both an genius alchemist tinkerer and an orphan.

He listens to the problem and, maybe by design of the old spy, his brain starts working the problem, unbidden.

"The Narwhale, crew attacked by wild animals... while at sea. What hind of animals? Sea Lions perhaps? Or maybe rabid squid? Ooh... flying fish with razors for fins? I can make those, I think!" he offers. "Oh, Iggy is me." he introduces to the room in general.
"Something pithy this way comes."
nowhereman2

Post by nowhereman2 »

Elizabeth Renwald idly checks her straps, trying her best to ensure her dress was fit exactly right for the occasion. The introduction was brief, but that was a common trait for Sir Reginald. A trait Elizabeth much enjoyed. "How long has it been since the ship made ground? Has it been explored yet?" Elizabeth kept her clockwork armor, which she called "Tic-Tac", in a compartment in her carriage. It was wound and ready to go, but would she need it?
Fox in the Hole: GM
A Call to Adventure: Arcanum
Changeling - The Dreaming: Socket
Her Majesty's other secret service: Elizabeth Carolynn Erin Renwald
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Sir Reginald smiles fondly at Elizabeth. "it has been a week, my dear. A salvage tug brought it back to London to her majesties docks. As you are all aware trade and shipping are the lifeblood of England. If it becomes known that ships aren't safe within our own waters it could be disastrous. - any other questions?"
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Iggy frowns, his questions unanswered. Nothing new for the Goblin, really. He decided to rephrase. "What kind of animals are the wounds consistent with, or has anyone researched that far, yet?"
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Reginald looks down at Iggy, "So sorry Iggdraxikkerlitsyn, by the way very interesting what you were doing in the Zeppelin Corp, as for what sort of wild animal, no one is really sure. Something as tall as a person with sharp teeth. After that we aren't really sure."
nowhereman2

Post by nowhereman2 »

Elizabeth frowned. "You didn't answer my question. Has anyone been aboard yet? I want to know the likelyhood we might run into something unsavory."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Iggy looked at the female human. "Someone had to be aboard to see and report animal attack. And with savaged bodies, likelihood of unsavory run-ins are 100%." Iggy says. "Okay 97.4%, minimum. Oooh, blindness could bump that down to 76.2%." he speculates.
nowhereman2

Post by nowhereman2 »

Elizabeth looks at the goblin nearby. "I am not at all sure of where you are getting those numbers. How prevalent do you think blindness is?"
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Manchester Merriweather
Hp 3

Masculinity, strength, even... daring.

The man reaches up, brushing his fingers through the light scratching salt and pepper whiskers trailing down over his throat. A throat and cheeks, much paler than the skin of the hand, alabaster and bronze.

"Man-chest-er Merri-wea-ther." as if the name should be known, that all should be honored by being in his presence.

"Man sized with sharp teeth. It really doesn't tell us much, does it? Is it one of the various types of aquatic aboriginals? Shaugin? Shark men? Tritons? Merfolk? But that only scratches the surface of the possible candidates. Where are the castings? The drawings? You do have those things, don't you? But then, you did call in professionals to actually investigate the issue rather than your own people."

With a casual smirk, he glances up and down across the iron maiden. "Straps and chains, hmmm? The Nipponese do some fascinating work in that direction. Perhaps we could discuss it at some time."

The gobber doesn't even get that much of a glance. After all, it's just yet another stench exuded gobber.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

nowhereman2 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:39 pm Elizabeth looks at the goblin nearby. "I am not at all sure of where you are getting those numbers. How prevalent do you think blindness is?"
"No no no. if *blind* one is less likely to encounter unsavory situations. I can show you the math..." Iggy pats his prodigious amount of pockets for a writing implement and, after coming up with a number of things that are definitely NOT writing implements and better left unsaid even if they could be identified, says, "later."

When the dapper gentleman speaks up Iggy nods, "I agree with the Merry Man. We should go see this boat for ourselves." He says heedless of the reality that Manchester said no such thing.

"No time lost, chop chop." he says headed toward the window of the room. "We should see ship, check Manifest logs to see if there was any strange encounters at sea, and check Inventory books to see what they were carrying and from whom OR if anything's missing. Anything strange and we follow up with whoever's cargo it was. Worst case, we should back track to Port of Thames." he says, laying out a... rather reasonable sounding plan, all things considered.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

"Splendid plan" says Sir Reginald. "By the way, my man will be going with you. He has certain skills that may assist your endeavours."
He turns to his orcish butler and much to everyone's surprise, shakes his hand. "I know I can count on you. You have never let me down."
Turning back to the rest of you.

He pulls a set of badges from a tray on a table nearby and hands you one each.
"These will identify you as agents of the Crown although the DSA is not very well known. Try to keep their use to a minimum and they are non-transferable, or sellable" he adds looking at Merriweather.

"Good luck" The distinguished lord indicates the door.
nowhereman2

Post by nowhereman2 »

Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:31 am
nowhereman2 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:39 pm Elizabeth looks at the goblin nearby. "I am not at all sure of where you are getting those numbers. How prevalent do you think blindness is?"
"No no no. if *blind* one is less likely to encounter unsavory situations. I can show you the math..." Iggy pats his prodigious amount of pockets for a writing implement and, after coming up with a number of things that are definitely NOT writing implements and better left unsaid even if they could be identified, says, "later."

When the dapper gentleman speaks up Iggy nods, "I agree with the Merry Man. We should go see this boat for ourselves." He says heedless of the reality that Manchester said no such thing.

"No time lost, chop chop." he says headed toward the window of the room. "We should see ship, check Manifest logs to see if there was any strange encounters at sea, and check Inventory books to see what they were carrying and from whom OR if anything's missing. Anything strange and we follow up with whoever's cargo it was. Worst case, we should back track to Port of Thames." he says, laying out a... rather reasonable sounding plan, all things considered.
"Brilliant you may be, but I suspect you are also mad." She paused while considering the obvious turn-around on her and her tendency to tinker. "Sanity is for the meek." she said under her breath.

"I suppose we should head there then. I will get my coach over there." She takes one of the badges and tilts her head toward the butler on her way out.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Hob Henderson
HP: 1; LP: 1; Condition: Normal

The massive orc had remained impassive for the first part of the discussion, but his face displayed just the tiniest hint of a smile as Sir Reginald shook his hand. "Of course, Sir," he said quietly- though his voice was deep enough that it was felt as much as heard. He gave a nod to each of the others in turn, starting with the lady.

"You may as well be calling me Hob, then, if any of you are in need of anything. I shall meet you out front at the carriage in a few moments- if you have any luggage or equipment just get it down to the curb and I will load it aboard for you." Then, with another nod to each of the recruits (and a deeper bow to Sir Reginald, he turned towards the door...
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Iggy inclined his head toward the female human. "We are all mad here, Alice." he quoted, stopping his progress toward the window when he sees others are headed toward the door and picking up their badges on the way. He takes his and sniffs it curiously before putting it away.

"Alice, is that your name?" he asks, catching up to the woman.