(IC) Neotropolis: Science (Un)Fair

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
kenmadragon

Re: (IC) Neotropolis: Sunday morning

Post by kenmadragon »

Dexter Lancaster

Charley had stepped out to the use the restroom when it rang. The sudden burst of music had broken Dexter's concentration upon a conversation with the sentient dust-motes he had been having to pass the time till Charley came back. The theme to an anime of some sort, but Dexter didn't bother searching his memory as to which - he probably knew it, but didn't care. It wasn't Dexter's phone, which was still powered off and on a charger. A single moment was spent to search for the sound, then pick up Charley's phone from where it was forgotten. The caller ID read: "Blocked".

Frowning, Dexter just hung up. Probably a telemarketer. Which is why the frown deepened when Charley's phone rang again. Dexter glanced at the caller ID and saw it was still blocked. He just rejected the call for Charley again. And again. And again

After the fifth call or so, Dexter determined that either this telemarketer wouldn't take silence as an answer, or it was probably important. Answering Charley's phone, Dexter responded succinctly, "Hi, I'm sorry but Charles Renoir isn't here right now. Do you have a quick message I can give him when he gets back?"
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

"Hi, this is Kate" The phone clicks over to speaker mode without Kate touching it, letting the entire room hear.
"Hi, I'm sorry but Charles Renoir isn't here right now. Do you have a quick message I can give him when he gets back?"

Odd, what are you two doing calling each other? Maybe not an unwelcome call, but most likely an unexpected one.

The voice is mechanical, clipped and terse. Someone listening more carefully make pick up on that it's vaguely female and perhaps even concerned.

GREETINGS.
DOCTOR ROBERT WONG HAS REQUESTED ASSISTANCE ON A MISSION. FACT ONE: DOCTOR ROBERT WONG CURRENTLY HAS APPROXIMATELY A 34.5 PERCENT CHANCE OF SUCCESS. HE HAS A 74.8 PERCENT CHANCE OF BEING TERMINATED AS A RESULT OF HIS ACTIONS. HE HAS A 23 PERCENT CHANCE OF BEING CAPTURED AND HELD. FACT TWO: WITH KATHERINE ORY'S ASSISTANCE ONLY, THIS CHANGES TO A 50 PERCENT CHANCE OF SUCCESS, A 54 PERCENT CHANCE OF BEING TERMINATED AND A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF BEING CAPTURED AND HELD. FACT THREE: WITH DEXTER LANCASTER'S ASSISTANCE ONLY, THIS CHANGES TO A 54 PERCENT CHANCE OF SUCCESS, A 64 PERCENT CHANCE OF BEING TERMINATED AND A 30 PERCENT CHANCE OF BEING CAPTURED AND HELD. FACT FOUR: WITH BOTH INDIVIDUALS ASSISTANCE, THE CHANCES OF SUCCESS AND SUCCESSFUL EXTRACTION CONTINUE TO IMPROVE. ANALYSIS: IN ORDER FOR DOCTOR ROBERT WONG TO SUCCESSFULLY CARRY OUT HIS MISSION, HE WILL NEED ASSISTANCE FROM BOTH KATHERINE ORY AND DEXTER LANCASTER.INQUIRIES?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Anna Segur: Codename Blitz
HP: 1
Condition: Good

Anna's eyes widened. She'd done what she came to do, which was warn Doctor Wong. It came as little surprise that he was in trouble though she hadn't expected it to happen so soon. Maybe she'd been spotted with him and spurred Chimaera to immediate action. Regardless, she had no particular attachment to the scientist. However, she owed Kate a significant debt and knew the reporter to have personal feeling for the man and she immediately shifted into 'mission mode'.

"What is Doctor Wong's mission and who is the opposition? How much time do we have?"
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Celestial HP: 2

Kate was very worried. What had Robert gotten himself into? Where had he gone? He had seemed agitated after the party. Where did that call originate from? It was clearly computer generated or perhaps an A.I. of some sort. Could it be CADIE? She didn't know what had happened to the A. I. after the events of the Glimpse of Tomorrow talks.

She was ready to change and fly right over to his house but she realized she needed more information.
Last edited by CaptainChaos on Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Shadowwalker

"If it isn't one thing, it is another. Was going to ask for help going to see the police today, hopefully clearing my name and such. But if Doctor Wong is in trouble, I don't care if they say just you and Dexter are needed. I'm helping, I owe him."
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

DOCTOR WONG HAS UNDERWENT EXPERIMENTAL MUTAGENIC PROCESS OF HIS OWN DESIGN. HE HAS ALREADY SHOWN SIGNS OF IMPROVED MOTOR AND COGNITIVE IMPROVEMENT. HE MADE REPEATED REFERENCE TO THE SAMARITAN PROJECT AND TIME TO PUT ON THE UNIFORM AGAIN. HE HAS REQUESTED ASSISTANCE FROM THE CADIE UNIT TO PROVIDE ADDITIONAL SERVICES. HE WAS NOT CLEAR IN WHAT THOSE ADDITIONAL SERVICES ENTAILED AND SO THE CADIE UNIT HAS CONTACTED YOU. HE IS IN TRANSIT TO 0112358 FIBONACCI WAY. HE IS EXPECTED TO ARRIVE IN THE NEXT TWENTY MINUTES.

Anna would pick up on two things there very quickly. The Samaritan Project was a government/private military contract ( over 20 years ago) to produce supersoliders. The results were spectacular, a team of highly coordinated 'wolf pack' soldiers that tore through special operations missions that they were sent on. It was a building block of CHIMERAS work. Horribly outdated but noteworthy in antiquity. The unit ended abruptly, friendly fire was suggested.

The other part is that yes, that is the address of an entrance to the Hive. At least it was yesterday.
Last edited by Spectrum on Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

Dexter Lancaster - The Samaritan
HP: 4

Whatever remained of Dexter's smile vanished very, very quickly. His thoughts raced as he pondered what in the world was going on now. It seemed as if there was no rest in short sight. Perhaps it was just a reaction to what Dexter had always understood - that when it rained, it poured.

The young man stood taller as he heard Anna and Marie on the other side while CADIE explained the situation. She was talking rather strangely too, but perhaps even Artificial Intelligences and Consciences like CADIE were susceptible to nervousness. But it did confirm something he had suspected weeks ago when he began to converse with - albeit, with no understanding of who the other party actually was - the synthetic human mind. That she was aware of Dexter's connection to "The Samaritan".

Wow, that still sounded a tad bit pretentious.

But at least she gave him an address. That was more than enough for the Samaritan to use. Dexter's incredible memory allowed him to memorize an atlas of the world (a lesson learned after his 9th grade 'trip'), as well as several different maps of the city. The Samaritan just needed to orient himself, and maybe even beat Uncle Bob to... wherever that address was. And perhaps figure out what was going on about "Samaritan Project" and whatever the "process" had done to Uncle Bob.

Anna had mentioned that the organization she used to work for, Chimaera, were somehow interested in what Uncle Bob was doing at the university. Which probably meant Uncle Bob decided last night to do something stupid, and the Samaritan needed to talk him out of it. Or like CADIE was predicting, he could lose his father's friend, and some villains would get what they wanted.

"The Samaritan will be there shortly," he said firmly, notes of The Other Guy seeping into Dexter's voice. "Looks like everyone's going to be teaming-up again."
Shock

Post by Shock »

Anna had no idea what the CADIE unit was but she knew Doctor Wong was in trouble. But they still had no idea what his actual objective was. And if the caller didn't know, how did it know what his chances of success were? Was he going after Chimaera as revenge for manipulating him? It made no sense. A man like him was smart enough to know he had no chance of surviving.

"We can intercept him if we get there first."
Last edited by Shock on Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Shadowwalker
"I have no idea where that is, but we need to get going and now if we are going to help." Turning on the hologram disguise Dexter's dad gave her, Marie was bouncing on her feet waiting by the door, impatient for the others to get moving.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Celestial hp: 2

"No, it's too dangerous for you two. Anna, they want you back and Marie, they want to run tests on you or at least try to subvert you. Let Samaritan and I handle this. Besides, it sounds like Robert has used his research to boost his physical and mental abilities. If there are side effects and he becomes unstable, I may be able to calm him down."
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Shadowwalker
Marie was getting irritated, she can't do anything because of these creeps and it is time for payback! "No! They aren't going to capture me, I won't let it happen no matter what. And I have so many things right now going wrong in my life thanks to them, I want to vent some of my frustration on the source of it all. Plus I owe Robert for helping me, he has been looking into ways to help me since that first meeting you set up between him and him. I'm going and that is final."
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Dexter, as you're leaving the dormroom, Charley is coming back from the bathroom.

"Hey man, where'you goin?"

He has such a sad look in his eyes, he was really enjoying hanging out with his best bud Dexter and now he's going to be left without any word of explanation?

But no, that's okay. He's used to being alone. Really. It's okay. Really.
Shock

Post by Shock »

"That address leads to Chimaera. You heard what the voice said. With just your help, he's going to be taken or die. You don't know that the Samaritan will be there. You can't afford to leave us behind."
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Celestial hp: 2

Kate clinched her hands infrustration. Don't they understand she's trying to protect them?

"Just how do you think you're going to be able to leave the building without my neighbors seeing you and calling the police? Right now both of you on on the most wanted list."
Shock

Post by Shock »

"The same way we got in. I'll go to the roof so I won't be connected to you." Anna glared at Kate. "Yesterday, I barely escaped with my life and I have been trained my entire life. It's suicide for you to go alone."