(IC) Neotropolis: Science (Un)Fair

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
kenmadragon

Re: (IC) Neotropolis: Sunday morning

Post by kenmadragon »

Dexter Lancaster

Dexter gave Charley an incredulous look, flushing with embarrassment, waving his hands frantically to avoid the misunderstanding. "I... uh... heavens, I don't think they really cared at that point. No one else was on campus at that point other than the girls, coach and I. So I, well, tried to run, but I only made it across the gym and got trapped because those doors had been locked, and by that point I was already surrounded because I'm not very fast, and they're athletes and were really mad, so I got caught and, uh... you know."

Honestly, that incident had tanked Dexter's social status for several weeks. It really didn't help when a bunch of the other guys would continue to ask him about every little detail and for personal things about the girls he may or may not have seen. Waheed more than the others, but that's just because his friend was an incorrigible perv, and wished it had been him instead of Dexter that got caught up in that mess. Waheed would have enjoyed all of that, not Dexter.

And while Coach had told all the girls to back off because it was a mistake, they still continued to track his name through mud, and he got bullied by their boyfriends, what few bothered. Not that bullying really did much to him - Dexter just played along, and pretended to get roughed up. It was good practice. Heck, it wasn't until he managed to save the massive mural the Spirit Week committee had made after it got ruined that Dexter managed to get back out of the social hell-hole he had been tossed into. After that, people patted him on the back for a week, then promptly forgot about him when the next school scandal struck. Back to being invisible, and Dexter could breath a sigh of relief.

Though, now Dexter could only wonder what Marie had been thinking of him during that time. He'd tried his best to forget about those few weeks of high school. But now that he thought about it, he was rather glad soccer had been cancelled that day, so Marie wasn't among those girls. Still, the young hero was curious whether she had known it was a mistake or not (his apology speech had not been a very private affair, on Coach's orders). While he tried not to let others' opinions of him effect him, Dexter had to admit he now worried about her opinion of him. Mostly because he had no idea what she thought of him now. Just what she said she had thought about him in high school, and even then he still had trouble believing her or if he somehow misheard her.

"I'd really rather not talk about it, Charley. Wasn't a fun time in high school, you know. Anyways, I was wondering whether you heard about what happened Friday, at the GoT." Dexter changed the subject to a topic he knew Charley would latch onto. The guy was a superhero fan-boy, and would know a lot more that Dexter did about what the media and public were thinking about the Samaritan and everyone else. And if anyone could give him the skinny on what was going on on the super-scene from a bystander stand-point, it'd be Charley.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Charley's face turns entirely, a huge grin on lips and in eyes, "That was so cool! I wish that I was there! I mean, there's been tons of nova activity the last few days, the GoT, the dinosaurs last night, the mascot the other day, the manhunt for that Nazi woman yesterday... so much awesomeness! Why do you think that it's happening all of a sudden? What do you think that it means? I think that a spontaneous energy release happened and its changing a lot of people. Do you think that it's like that whole Arthur legend, that in time of need he'll return? It's just amazing. I hope to get pictures of them sometime, maybe get some real data on how their enhanced physiologies work."

Nerdgasm in full swing!
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

The apartment

The day goes by quickly. A nice opportunity to step out onto the balcony and enjoy the warmth while it still lasts.

Still, is Robert the type of guy that would call the next day? He seemed really into Kate, even if towards the end he was distracted by Marie's ominous words. Was he turned off by the entire thing? Or is he just suddenly busy?
Shock

Post by Shock »

Anna Segur: Codename Blitz
HP: 1
Condition: Good

Anna returned the dainty garment to where she found it. "Thank you but I can't imagine the need for such a flimsy undergarment."

The rest of the day, while the others got some sun while they could, Anna avoided going outside. It wasn't worth the risk of being spotted, especially after what Kate had said about the neighbors. "Kate, I need you to deflect your neighbors' suspicion. Somehow I have to show everyone I'm not who they think I am."
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Celestial hp: 2

Anna's comment made her think for a moment. She wasn't really close with any of her neighbors. More like passing aquaintances that greet each other and engage in small talk at the mailboxes, in the elevator, and at the store. Like most people, they were probably just caught up in the panic and paranoia that seemed to infest the city lately. Admittedly, there had been more than the usual amount of odd occurrences.

"I am open to suggestiions. I do not see a way of accomplshing that at the moment. Maybe if w could arrange for you to stop a crime or save someone it might help."
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

Dexter Lancaster
HP: 4

Chuckling slightly, Dexter had a grin on his face. Charley's enthusiasm was infectious! "Nah, I think they're all different. I mean, it's like in comics - not everyone has the same friggin' origin story, ya know?

"Besides, I know that there was some weirdness happening one weekend four years ago, but this weekend, I see a guy move so fast he's a blur, catching bullets with his bare hands!? It's unreal? Who is that guy, anyway?"

Okay, so Dexter was fishing for compliments and wondering what people thought about him. Selfish? Maybe a little. But Dexter was genuinely curious what people thought of him. He was already pulling out his phone and doing a quick search for this stuff while Charley took a breath before continuing on his nerd-gasm. Besides, it could only be good for Dexter's self-esteem, right?

Right?
Shock

Post by Shock »

Anna frowned. Interacting with the public in any way was more likely to end up like it had for Marie. "You're a reporter. Could you write a story about me? Tell them I'm not a threat."
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Celestial hp: 2

"I could write a story but then I need to find someone to publish it. I usually do freelance for various magazines or for special clients. We could make a story but that would need someone to threaten me. If someone threatened me, say trying to rob me or throw me off a building, and you just happened to save me, that might change a few minds."
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

It'll take a moment to remember a story that was a hot sensation at the time. Years ago, Officer James Conner, of the NPD, tried to do something similar. Ashamed of how the police were being overtaken by a high profile vigilante, actually suffered from a second personality that created crime in order for the Force to have something to do, a crime for him to solve and thus be a hero.

It lead to a continued sense of distrust for the Police that is still mentioned occasionally to this day.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Charley grins back. "Yeah, he was pretty cool." he shakes his head though, "I mean superspeed is awesome, but had to wonder how he got through life. Friction burns every time he touched something. Couldn't be a good way to live." He sighs a bit, "But yeah, so many heroes aren't around for very long. There around for a little while, make these huge splashes, look sooo awesome and then they're gone. That surfboard guy, great look and how cool to be flying like that.. and then bang- gone! Or a couple of techy gals. They start off so promising and then.. disappear. Samaritan and Celestial have been around for a long time, and that's great! I wonder if they know each other? I wonder if they're going to get together like that Panopticon and.. what was her name, the sneaky stabby stabby girl? Or hey, I know he's in prison, but Captain Skyhook was awesome."
Shock

Post by Shock »

Anna shook her head again. "I'm not comfortable using you as bait in order to improve my public image. I'm under the impression anyone can publish something on the internet. Could you start there?"
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Celestial HP: 2

"Perhaps you're right. I'm not like that reporter from the comic books that's always in danger and needs to be saved all the time by the superhero. Too bad there's never a disaster around when you need one. The internet is a strange place Anna. Some people believe everything they read on it while others fact check everything. I suppose there is a chance I could write something vague enough that it couldn't be easily fact checked and enough people would believe it. The question now is what exactly to write that would put a positive spin on you. Ideally I should write something that not only helps you but throws suspicion on your former employer. It won't be easy."
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

Dexter Lancaster
HP: 4

"Nah, he's super-tough. Bullets just bounce off him." Dexter said absent mindedly with a small smile. Super-speed was indeed awesome, wasn't it? Then again, he could also fly. Sometimes, he had trouble deciding which he liked better. Then he quickly caught himself. Hurriedly he gave his excuse with his usual sheepish smile. "Ah, but that's just what I read online, you know."

Ah, that reminded him - the results on his phone were done loading. Hmn? Why was the Samaritan trending on all these tumblelog platforms?

Dexter quickly glanced at what was going on in the blogosphere. Then his collar began to feel very stuff as his face turned very, very red. Sweet Christmas, he had forgotten his clothes had gotten torn to pieces fighting those dinosaurs. And so many pictures had been taken... But why were the top-search results fan-girl blogs?!? That had happened last night, how did it get like this so fast?

"So, yeah, but you have to wonder if there's a better hero name than "Samaritan", though. It sounds a little pretentious, don't you think?" Dexter tried to change the subject so he could stop focusing on the fact that he was a tad whelmed by some of the comments he had just read. "And if there'd be any chance he'd actually get a consistent costume, you know?"
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Around noon both Kate and Dexter receive phone calls to the nearest phone, at the same moment, both of them with untraceable numbers.

This can be their cellphone, someone else's phone, a public phone, a home phone- any phone.

If they attempt to walk away from the phone, the next closest phone will start to ring.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Celestial HP: 2

Kate had been having an...interesting conversation with Anna and Marie most of the morning trying to come up with a plausible story that she could write and 'leak' online to help dispel the rumors about Anna being evil. When her ever present cellphone started playing Oops I Did It Again, she looked at the caller ID. It was an unknown caller. She knew a few people that would qualify as being unknown callers including a few that lived in a freezing cold warehouse. She picked up the phone and answered.

"Hi, this is Kate"