The Merge: Agents and Powers Chapter 2: Agents Abroad

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Bladewind

Re: The Merge: Agents and Powers Chapter 2: Agents Abroad

Post by Bladewind »

Torque
Condition: normal
HP: 1

Torque understood. If only being a mechanoid and seeing the interface points of the tech and the flesh, the comments made sense.

OOC - can someone refresh my memory on the drone... I have a fuzzy feeling that we are here because of it...
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Viv DeLaCourte (Harbinger)
HP: 1; LP: 0; Condition: Normal

Viv looked at Mimir carefully, then at Raptor. Once she had a sense of them, she nodded briskly and stepped forward a pace or two, bringing herself out of the 'background' of her own group. "So this is no one you recognize then? That degree of modification can't be easy or common- we had been hoping it was someone that would be known or recognizable within her community..." Her voice was soft and soothing, not accusatory or confrontational- at least not at this stage. "It sounds like you knew Her though. Do you know of any enemies she might have had or any recent disputes she might have been involved in? Or did your drone see anything valuable before we got there?"

>OOC 1: I should be at least mostly back- the largest bis of my RL/household stuff seem to be resolved, or resolving anyway (though I am wary of saying everything is okay, given the sort of curveballs this year has been throwing).

>OOC 2: now on to the crunchy bits
-1. Well-informed (Investigation) on our hosts here: Skill Mastery for a check of 26.
-2. Insight (Evaluate) on both of them as well (determine if someone is honorable or trustworthy, or not, when meeting them). Again Skill Mastery, for a check of 26 (in this case, opposed by their Deception)

That will do for now. Let's get 'em talking.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy

"Are there any new players in town? This might be someone with ambition who might want to go after somebody high profile to establish themselves." she added.

ooc
Yay! Amy isn't an investigator, so her questions are not going to be the kind of questions an investigator would ask. Plus, she doesn't have anything beyond the basic everyday tech knowledge most people have.
Last edited by kirinke on Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Lilly is just watching and listening at the moment...
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

They both do appear trustworthy and genuinely angry.

" Well, i knew AQ personally", Raptor says, " I was a regular at her club in the old 'verse and here, too. We were friends. Mimir here is just a buddy of mine. That degree of modding...in my 'verse you wouldn't be alive in any meaningful sense after so many bodyjobs. Eventually, the soul just up and vanishes unless its shackled to the body with black magic, creating what we called a cyberzombie. But they are usually not able to make decisions on their own anymore."

Mimir mutters, " Unless the rules here are different."
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy

"It's entirely possible that the rules could be different, depending on what technology or magic you use." she sighed. "With everything going on, it wouldn't surprise me at all either way really." she shuddered. "Still a nasty business all around. So do you have any idea who could have done this or sent that guy?" she pointed to the picture. "Rivals, newcomers, people who might be jockeying to take her position in your community by force if necessary or ones who might send a message like this to instill fear?"

Battle Init
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

"I think that the rules from your world do apply here," agrees Lilly from where she squats against the wall. "But at the same time I think so do the rules from all the other worlds that have Merged into this one. Perhaps the creature is able to be more than one of your 'cyberzombies' here? Though presumably someone would have had to discover that."
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Viv DeLaCourte

Viv nodded slightly at what Lilly had said, and even grudgingly at Amy's words. "What they said, at least to some degree. Simpler to say 'It's Complicated'... It isn't even certain, or likely, that there is one set of rules- some have brought their own rules with them, others seem to have combined different rule-sets. Some of it, in this case, may be dependent on when this being was modified so thoroughly. If they came from your world or a very similar one and were modified before the Merge, it is likely the rules you are familiar with might apply. If they were modified here, after the Merge,it is probably impossible to determine how they operate without direct examination." She sighed softly. Of course this wouldn't be easy, the sort of slam-dunk where they would have recognized the assailant immediately.

"So it isn't anyone you know specifically then, or anyone you have seen around the club? Alien Queen mentioned that her attacker wanted to 'Prove its superiority'- has anyone you know of been speaking of such ideals? Or are there any other gathering places, besides Empire, where similar folk might gather?"

>OOC: Just a 'catching-up' question- back on page 79, we got surveillance of the last regulars leaving the club before the attack, one of whom looked like a cybernetic velociraptor. Does that image match Raptor? If so, Viv may have more questions?

>OOC 2: Let me know if I need any rolls (Investigation, Persuasion, more Insight, etc.)
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

//Yes, that was Raptor

Raptor scoffs. " You been around Runners or Chromefreaks? We all like to talk big and show off. But none of us in their right mind would think of attacking AQ. And since she came here, she mostly kept to small stuff. information and talent brokerage, the odd bit of smuggling...nothing that would piss off the big players. She was careful. And the whole Night War business didn't really have anything to do with us, either. We're not 'alive' enough for most vampires and most of us are very much armed all the time."
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy

"So it's either a random hit, or somebody who is being clever about it." she nodded as she took out a larger marble and two smaller ones and rolled them in her hand as worry-balls. By now, you could tell it was her way to relieve stress and worry.

Battle Init
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Lilly ponders for a moment.

"You say 'none of us in their right mind would think of attacking Alien Queen'," she says consideringly. "But by 'us' I assume you mean only people like yourselves who Merged into this world from the same world she did and who knew and respected her. Alien Queen said her killer said it was interested only in proving its superiority. Have other worlds that make use of large amounts of mechanical enhancements Merged with this Earth in addition to yours? Perhaps someone from one of those Mergings wants to prove that their way with machines is the best way by challenging one of your worlds best?"
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy

"Could it be Borg or a Borg sympathizer? I know those guys are all about being 'superior' and they are cyborgs of a sort." she shrugged. "Other than that, I've not a clue on this."

Battle Init
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"Borg don't monologue," Adeleth says.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy
"They do, kinda. They just aren't very imaginative about it." Amy countered.

Battle Init
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Viv DeLaCourte (Harbinger)

Viv nodded again at Lilly's comments. "Not to mention that they very well might not be 'in their right mind', since we already heard that that degree of modification can drive one mad- I think the common term is 'cyberpsychosis'... We will have to start mining our databases, see if we have any other violent incidents in similar environments- our suspect probably didn't start out taking a shot at a top player. We'll want notices out to other enclaves too, Seattle and so on, anyplace there is a sizable community, in case this is an organized move..."

Then she shook her head and turned back towards their hosts. "But all of that is for later. For now... You've said that Alien Queen traded in information- do you know if she had a... lieutenant, for lack of a better word, or do you know of any of her agents that might share your interest, anyone you might put us in touch with, or put in a good word so they might be willing to talk to us. The police have said they have some names, but I'm sure your connections might be more relevant, and if we can save time tracking down some sources, persuading them to talk, it might be very helpful."

Then she shifted, just slightly, to focus on Raptor directly. "In particular, security video shows that you were among the very last people to leave, just minutes before the attack. The other person was a tall orc, with skin that looked like plastic and extra cybernetic eyes, another regular- if you didn't see anything odd on your way out, he might have. Do you know who he is, how to get in touch with him?