[OOC] Four Horsemen [Finished]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EpicEclipse

Re: [OOC] Four Horsemen - Recruiting

Post by EpicEclipse »

I may throw my hat into the ring.. At least work on a concept whil my internet is still out.

If I can get the net up before cutoff I'll pitch what I come up with.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

No worries mate, there is still a week and only three submissions so far.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

With Spectrum dropping his initial idea, I think I might toss my hat into the ring as well. I had felt my idea was too similar in scope, the idea of a 'memetic plaguebringer' who spreads ideas and beliefs as if they were an infectious disease. I think I can make it work.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

An internet misinformation campaign incarnate, nice.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

I like the idea behind Extinction and the back story is rife with hooks. Overall concept wise, she is solid so long as she is play within the bounds of this sites rules. With the background mentioned, it is easy to go a bit too graphic.

Mechanics wise, the only thing that sticks out to me is the variable power. Unless it is specific such as types of animals, plants, etc it can get a bit much and override some of the other players. So, only thing I would ask changed is the variable 2 swapped out with maybe an array of common configurations.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Regardless of my original thoughts, I have had an idea for this: an angel (wings, halo, etc) who has decided all evil must be destroyed on earth. No exceptions. "Good" taken to the ultimate extreme. Who is pure enough to cast the first stone? No one. (This also makes her "Death" in the original horsemen pantheon.)

Main power, Karmic retribution. All the harm you have done, done to you threefold. (Kind of like ghost rider's penitence stare.)

Now, of course, they would not see themselves or the other horsemen as evil. And of course, nor should any of the horsemen. The horsemen are a force of nature, above definitions of good and evil. I'm not sure why the OP claims they would do evil things. They do apocalyptic things. Not good. Not evil.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

That could certainly work, but keep in mind the PC's are human infused with power. So, they can think they are an angel and go so far as fully embrace it in their behavior their base form is still a regular person. If you want the PC to always look like an angel I won't object, but keep in mind getting about will rather difficult.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

They would probably believe their "former life" was a cover created so they could walk among man. Angels can change how they look, of course. :)
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

That works as well. I'm not one to dictate what people have their PC's think so long as the truth fits the game description.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

mrdent12 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:38 am I like the idea behind Extinction and the back story is rife with hooks. Overall concept wise, she is solid so long as she is play within the bounds of this sites rules. With the background mentioned, it is easy to go a bit too graphic.
That's fair enough; I'm happy to keep everything to a PG-13 level. I'm not keen on overly graphic stuff myself so hopefully not going to be a problem.
mrdent12 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:38 am Mechanics wise, the only thing that sticks out to me is the variable power. Unless it is specific such as types of animals, plants, etc it can get a bit much and override some of the other players. So, only thing I would ask changed is the variable 2 swapped out with maybe an array of common configurations.
Also fair enough. I'll see what I can come up with...

Oh yes, for the power of transforming others into monsters, would you like me to come up a monster for your consideration or do you want to handle it? If the former, what sort of PL would I be looking at?
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

PL 12 - The Cognagion
"Spread the word, spread the word! The end has come, and you're going to help me see it through!"
Description

Cognagion's current host body is that of punk-rocker type of character who previously went by the name of "Beautiful Mike". Until the day comes when he must transfer to a new host consciousness, he presents himself outwardly as Mike using his host's memories to solidify the illusion.

Cognagion's 'true form' is more of a conceptual idea that festers within the consciousness of every human being he's afflicted previously. It's only upon the death of his outward host that this idea takes root and completely alters someone's mind to suit his whims.

-------------------------------------

Eric Reynolds. The world knows the basics about him; twenty one years old, white, unemployed, out of school, and the spoilt son of an established TV executive. What they know specifically is what happened January first at twelve AM, where Eric opened fire in a crowded train station killing twenty three people and injuring dozens more before finally being taken down in a shoot out.

The morning before his rampage he posted this last cryptic message to his social media account; "Society is fucked, but don't worry. I'm about to burn this whole world down starting now. Who's with me? #SpreadTheWord #BurnItAllDown "

Even before his actions came to light his simple words had gone viral, reaching over twenty thousand likes within just a few hours. By the time his account was banned following the incident it had just cracked a hundred thousand. It no longer mattered how many posts were deleted, accounts were banned, or hashtags suppressed. The word was already out there, his message was made clear, and a shocking amount of people actually agreed.

It was then that his message started to take root completely within the mind of Michael Savage, a young Asian gangster in a bad part of Chicago. Michael had resonated with Eric's anarchist message far more then anyone else, inspiring him to act out in ways that would've shocked him if he had been more cognizant of just what he was doing. He had become oddly personable when it came to interacting with other people, where he then slowly started to amass a close group of companions within his gang.

The power started to get to his head, causing him to grow bolder and bring more and more people over onto his side, which quickly drew the ire of his boss and his lieutenants. They were on the edge of an all out gang civil-war if not for one moment which solidified just who he had become. Michael forced his boss to his knees without raising a single fist, just a charming smile and a single uttered word.
"Kneel."

'Beautiful Mike' was born at that moment. Yet in truth, the real Mike died on the twenty fifth of July along with twenty three other victims, leaving only the contagious cognito hazard known as Eric in his place.

Spread the word. The Cognagion's real work has only just begun.

Complications

Motivation: Burn the World A deep desire to sow chaos and inspire anarchy permeates his thoughts, a complete breakdown of society heading into the next apocalyptic age.

Host Obligations: While he would much rather focus on his mission completely, he understands the need to keep up appearances. His current body is an oil rig manager, and for at least a little while they need to keep things running. He also happens to be addicted to nicotine, and desperately needs coffee to keep running for his long hours.

Megalomania: There's a certain amount of thrill that comes with having obtained raw power over others, the ability to bend anyone to his will. Sometimes he'l indulge himself in the use of his abilities for pure value of personal entertainment, even at the expense of his current goals.

Power Loss; Lack of Creativity: Every word out of his mouth is tailor made and imbued with the power to inspire great change in every individual that listens to him. It should go without saying then that this requires a certain amount of creative thinking first, and there will be times when his mind draws a blank on just what he's supposed to say in order to have the greatest effect.

Dependent on Humanity: As it stands right now, he as the Cognagion has achieved true immortality, the ultimate infectious idea spreading from person to person with no real feel of death. Ultimately however, the only way to stop such a plague is to kill off every carrier of the disease before it had a chance to fester. In order to stay alive for the coming eras, he needs humans to continue on as a species even if their society does not.
-
Original Body: Eric Reynolds
First Host: Beautiful Mike
  • Physical Stats: 0, 3, 3, 1
  • Advantages: Connected, Contacts, Defensive Roll 5, Fascinate, Equipment 4, Fearless, Leadership, Luck 6, Teamwork
  • Skills: Ex: Criminal 6, CC: Small Blades 10, Stealth 11, Insight 10, Investigation 9
  • Equipment: Bulletproof Vest: Protection 4, Limited to Ballistic, Subtle 3 | Wakizashi: Damage 3, 19-20 4
Second Host: Roger Smith
  • Physical Stats: 0, 1, 3, 3
  • Advantages: Connected, Contacts, Defensive Roll 5, Fascinate, Equipment 4, Fearless, Leadership, Luck 6, Teamwork
  • Skills: Expertise: Business 7 (+7), RC: Pistols 10 (+13), Stealth 11(+14), Insight 10(+15), Investigation 9 (+9), Expertise: Oil Rigs 7 (+7), Sleight of Hand 7 (+10)
  • Equipment: Heavy Pistol: Ranged Damage 4/ 20/ 8
-
Abilities: 0+2+6+6 (14) + 4+0+10+10 38
Strength 0, Stamina 1, Agility 3, Dexterity 3
Fighting 2, Intellect 0, Awareness 5, Presence 5

Advantages 21
Attractive 2, Connected, Contacts, Defensive Roll 5, Fascinate, Equipment 4, Fearless, Leadership, Luck 6, Teamwork

Skills 17(51) + 5(10) {+ 5(15) Host Knowledge}
Persuasion 19 (+24), Deception 19(+24), Intimidation 19(+24) Expertise: Business 7 (+7), RC: Pistols 10 (+13), Stealth 11(+14), Insight 10(+15), Investigation 9 (+9), Expertise: Oil Rigs 7 (+7), Sleight of Hand 7 (+10)

Powers 95

The Horseman of Whispers: 16+8+17+54
Can't kill an Idea: Immortality 6(1 Day) Linked w/ Limited (Humans previously infected by Cognagion) Shapeshift 1(5 pts on each new 'Body') 12 + 4 = 16
Memetic Defenses: Limited (Only against Human enemies) Enhanced Trait 16 (Dodge 6, Parry 10) 8
Preternatural Presence: Enhanced trait 21 (Persuasion 19, Deception 19, Intimidation 19, Attractive 2) 16
..Force of Personality:Sense Dependent (Audible) Perception Ranged Resistible(Will) Penetrative 4 Damage 12 1 (4+12)
Spread the Word: Subtle Insidious Contagious Progressive Perception(Audible) Area Limited Degree (Second + Third) Affliction 12 (Compelled->Controlled), Dynamic Alternate Effect 2 50
..Propaganda : Triggered(Upon target/s viewing the image) 10 Subtle 2 Insidious Perception(Visual) Area Limited Degree Contagious Progressive Affliction 12 2 (14 + 36)
..Voice in your head: Selective Area Communication 5 (100ft. - 1 mile - Statewide - Worldwide- Unlimited), Limited to enthralled (5/R) - 25 max

Equipment: 20/20
Heavy Pistol: Ranged Damage 4/ 20/ 8

"Borrowed" Office building
Size: Medium
Toughness: 8
Features: Communications, Computer, Secret 2, Concealed, Garage, Gym, Living Space, Power System, Security System, Personnel 13

Offense
Initiative: +3
Unarmed: +2 DC 15
Heavy Pistol: +13 DC 19
Force of Personality: Perception range Audible Penetrating 4 damage, DC 27
Spread the Word: DC 22 Will (Compelled->Controlled)
Propaganda: DC 22 Will (Compelled->Controlled)

Defense 3+2+5+4=14
Dodge 3/6*(against Humans) (+6/+12*), Parry 2/10* (Against Humans) (+4/+14*), Fortitude 5 (+7), Toughness 5 (+7), Will 4 (+9)

Power Points
Abilities 38 + Powers 95 + Advantages 21 + Skills 17 (51 ranks) + Defenses 14 = 185/185
Etymology for Cognagion; (Cogn)itive + Cont(agion)

Obligatory theme music; I Predict a Riot
Last edited by Doctor Malsyn on Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:35 am, edited 12 times in total.
------------
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

I've now updated Extinction to get rid of the Variable power and replace it with an array instead.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

For Extinction, the array looks fine just be careful to not override other players. Others should be able to shine as well despite being a utility character. As for the monster, it would be the pl of whoever you transform and might go after you as well. Wanton destruction is all well and good, but it could backfire if the objective needs more discriminate destruction or finesse.

The Contagion is looking promising. You already touched on the glass cannon. With physical saves as low as they are you will have issues. Also, the contagious powers will be active as long as they are the active array power if recall correctly. So if you change the array you lose the effects that are on going.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

That's why I wanted to add an offensive power as a seperate ability, so that he could keep up his mind control while also being capable of dealing damage when needed. I might rework it later and establish something else, perhaps use dynamic alternate effects instead...
------------
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

I usually use defensiv, offensive, and if needed utility arrays/separate powers. Sometimes I mix and match, but largely have that break down for powers. Sometimes I combine utility and defensive into a single array.