[OOC] Four Horsemen [Finished]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EpicEclipse

Re: [OOC] Four Horsemen - Recruiting

Post by EpicEclipse »

Just a idea I had to pitch. Still no internet, but I can stl put the character together.

Adam was your typical small mining town man. Burgeoning alcohol problem, reckless womanizing, a brush with drugs here and there. Ultimately a man with nothing specific to live for but to make it through each day, until that changed.

Adam met Eve who lit a fire in his life and made him want more from life. Unfortunately for Adam, Eve didn't. She was as reckless and slothful as he'd been. Adam didn't see it at first, but when he found Eve in bed with another man, the beginnings of hope he had for a future crumbled and dropped him through the tenuous "life" he'd had before.

He killed the man with his bare hands and dragged Eve out to the mine where he worked, intending to bring the whole damn thing down on top of them. He either didn't know or didn't care about the twenty-four other workers that were still in the mine and in his petty retribution, everyone died. Except one.

Adam's powerset would be pretty simple. A brick with an adaptive resistance to damage he takes. His was a self destructive nature and its reflected in his powerset. I'm also thinking to include his slothfulness mechanically in some manner of slow burn startup for his other powers.

Thoughts?

Edit: Here are a few power structures I am working with, to give you an idea of the kind of flavor I am going with here.

Adaptive Resilience: Variable 4, Reaction (Taking damage), Limited (Limited Immunity to triggering damage descriptors) (-2)
How it works: When Adam takes damage, he gains Immunity limited to half rank to it. If he takes that damage again, he gets the same limited to half immunity making it full immunity. If he doesn't have enough variable points to add a new resistance/immunity, the oldest resistance/immunity drops off. Per the reaction variable rules, he can only adapt one resistance/immunity per round, so he cans till be overwhelmed by a barrage of varied attacks. With 20pp worth of limited immunities, it does give him a fair sized potential to have a variety of immunities, but as they drop off as new ones are added, he has no ability to hold on to more useful ones if they happen to drop.

Lazy Strength: Enhanced Strength, Activation (Move) x5, Quirk (Only activate once per round)
How it works: Activate taken multiple times splits the ranks up so that each activation only turns on a few ranks. So if he has 10 ranks of enhanced strength, Activation will only turn on 2 ranks each time he takes the action to activate.

Unstoppable: Penetrating Burrowing
How it works: Straight out of the Strength Power Profile. Pretty much lets him walk through walls. Without insubstantial. Also applies to floors and ceilings were he to opt to change verticality.
Last edited by EpicEclipse on Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Here is Garald. Power wise he's a paragon/flying brick that is both physically and mentally resiliant. As of the start of the game he is meant to be a Colonel in the Russian army and has some Advantages to support that position.

Garald Medvedev

PL: 12 PP: 185

ABILITIES:
Str 3(15) Sta 3(12) Agi 1 Dex 1 Fgt 9 Int 1 Awr 1 Pre 2

SKILLS: Athletics 2(+17), Deception 6(+8), Expertise [Military] 14(+15), Insight 9(+10), Persuasion 8(+10), Perception 11(+12), Stealth 12(+13)

ADVANTAGES: Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Connected, Language 1 [English ; Base: Russian], Leadership, Power Attack, R. Attack 8

POWERS:
Senses 4 [Precognition ; Limited to "Combat, Strategic, and Tactical insights" (-1/r)] * 2 PP
Enhanced Advantages 1 [Improved Critical (Unarmed)] * 1 PP
Feature 2 [Garald may operate as though his physical actions had Affects Insubstantial 2] * 2 PP
Enhanced Strength 12 * 24 PP
Enhanced Stamina 9 * 18 PP
Protection 3 * 3 PP
Enhanced Strength 25 [Extras: Dynamic ; Flaw: Limited "to Lifting" (-1/r)] * 26 PP
DAE - Impervious Toughness 15, Immunity 10 [Mental Effects ; Flaws: Sustained Duration (+0/r)] * 2 PP
DAE - Flight 12 , Enhanced Advantage 1 [Move-by Action] * 2 PP
DAE - Speed 12, Quickness 12, Enhanced Advantage 1 [Move-by Action] * 2 PP
Immunity 10 [Lifesupport] * 10 PP

Super Strength Stunts Alternate Effect Array of Strength; 2 pts
AE - Burst Area Damage 12 (Extras: Burst Area x2 [60 ft radius], Flaws: Distracting, Limited [must be on the ground, targets must be on the ground]) * 1 PP
AE - Burst Area Affliction 12 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; 1st: Dazed and Vulnerable, 2nd: Stunned and Prone, Extra: Burst Area [30 ft radius], Extra Condition, Flaw: Limited to two degrees, Limited [must be on the ground, targets must be on the ground]) * 1 PP

EQUIPMENT:

DEFENSES:
Dodge 9 [DC 19] Parry 9 [DC 19]
Fortitude 12 Toughness 15 Will 12

OFFENSE:
Initiative +1
Unarmed +9 (DC 30 Tough, Crit. 19-20)
Throw +9 (DC 30 Tough)
SSS Area Damage (DC 22 Dodge ; DC 27/21 Tough)
SSS Area Affliction (DC 22 Dodge ; DC 22/16 Fort)

Abilities 42 + Skills 18 + Advantages 19 + Powers 95 + Defenses 11 = 185/185

COMPLICATIONS:
"Vilified (Reputation)" - Since becoming a Horseman Garald has distanced himself from the Russian military. After his superhuman nature became public Garald refused to bring the other Horsemen into their custody. No longer following orders from former superiors he has become the target of a smear campaign by the Russian government, exposing and exaggerating his history of heinous acts.

"Enemies" - Garald has ruined a lot of lives, and performed terrible acts of violence against all manner of targets. Even if a good number of those people don't know it. He could have enemies that he doesn't even know the names and faces of.

BACKBROUND:
Garald wasn't born normal. He didn't empathize with others. He didn't sympathize with people. He didn't care about them. More often, he was irritated by them If his parents, teachers, or any other adult paid attention to him during his childhood they might have noticed the symptoms of a behavioral disorder. Garald's childhood was one of benign neglect, however. By the time he was a teenager he learned to mask his abnormal personality traits and blend in, mimicking behavioral patterns of others when in public. As he neared adulthood Garald entered the army of the Russian Federation where his sociopathic tendencies could be put to productive use for his country.

Garald wasn't a model soldier. There were occasional conflicts with peers, and disciplinary issues, but nothing enough to warrant discharge. His aptitude for martial conflict and willingness to do the horrible things that few others were meant he was well suited for black ops assignments in the spetsnaz. It was a good outlet for Garald's dark impulses and may well have kept him from turning into a serial killer or rapist. As it was, people called him a patriot. A hero. He was a man to be respected and looked up to. Someone young boys wanted to be like when they grew up.

More recently Garald has moved to the United States, on an extended assignment as a liaison to their military and working with some cross training efforts going on between Russia and the USA. A couple months into the assignment Garald was approached by a woman with a child, claiming that the baby was his. She had proof too, and demanded that he take responsibility for the child he had helped bring into the world and threatened to tell his girlfriend at the time if he did not. Garald didn't care overly much about the woman he was dating at the time, but the fact that this mother was trying to coerce him was outstanding. His response was to kill this former lover and their infant son.

Something shifted after that. Garald has changed and he isn't sure if he's been bless or cursed for slaying his own offspring. Then he met the others like him. He'd never felt a connection with another living being.
Last edited by Sakuro on Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

A very War-like Horseman there, Sak. Can his Flight manifest like a spectral horse he rides (just to keep in theme)? :)
"Something pithy this way comes."
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

mrdent12 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:38 am This would work. Sort of a human breeding the monster in a sense.
Yes, very much so! Which is kind of the point = it will scare and distract people. Thanks for the OK - I'll go with it as written. I've updated the character sheet post to include the change to how the monsters (I've named them all Samael now) are built.

I've also rejigged the character a litte - lost a point of Dex and swapped it for more Intimidation and another Shapeshifted Configuration. The new one is an armed form - I realise she has no way of dealing damage without growing really quite large and figured she should have a way to do so. Obviously as she grows beyond a certain level that form becomes less useful as she tops out at the PL limits, but I'll just take that into account when using it. I've also stolen Maria's Penniless complication as that very much applies to Extinction as well, though she deals with it rather differently to Maria.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

This is my first take on the PL10 monster that Extinction can create:

Samael
Power Level 10, 120 points

Description
Created by Extinction through the infection of humans. When it matures transforms the human into a huge creature like an armoured gorilla with huge arms, a horned head and the beak of a huge predatory bird. Eight large bright red glowing eyes give it all round vision. Its digits are tipped with huge claws. Its armour is scarlet with black tiger stripe markings. It hates humans with a savage fury but will not attack other creatures like itself. Its name - given to it by Extinction - comes from the angel Samael, who is found in Judaism.

People can throw off the transformation into a Samael and return to normal if they make their Will save, or if they die. They remember what they did as a monster if they survive.

ABILITIES
Strength 10*(8+2), Stamina 12*(10+2), Agility 0, Dexterity 0,
Fighting 8, Intellect -2, Awareness 0, Presence 0
* Including Growth
Total: 48 points

SKILLS
Athletics - 9 (+17), Intimidation - 18 (+19**), Perception - 18 (+18), Ranged Combat: Thrown - 10 (+10), Stealth - 0 (-2**)
Total: 20 points*
* Including 3 ranks per point for non-combat skills; ** Including Growth

ADVANTAGES
Benefit: Ambidextrous, Diehard, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical: Claws - 4,
Improved Initiative - 2, Instant Up, Move By Attack, Prone Fighting, Takedown - 2
Total: 15 points

POWERS
Monstrous Form (14 points)
Growth - 2, Permanent - 2; Reach - 1 (Long Arms)
[+2 Str, +2 Sta, +1 Intimidation, -2 Stealth, -1 Dodge, -1 Parry]
Damage - 2 (Claws, Strength-based)
Impervious Toughness - 6
Feature: Use Feet as Hands

Monstrous Constitution (10 points)
Regeneration - 5, Persistent - 1
Immunity - 4 (Disease, Poison, Sleep, Water Breathing)

Monstrous Speed (20 points)
Array: Movement:
1) Speed - 7 (250 mph) (7 points)
2) Swimming - 7 (64 mph) (1 point)
Leaping - 6 (500 feet)
Movement - 4 (Sure-Footed - 1, Wall Crawling - 2)

Monstrous Senses (5 points)
Infravision, Low Light Vision, Radius Vision, Acute Olfactory, Tracking Olfactory
Total: 49 points

DEFENCES
Dodge +8*, Parry +8*, Toughness +12 (Impervious vs Damage Rank 6), Fortitude +14, Will +6
* Including Growth
Total: 18 points

OFFENCE
Initiative +8
Claws +8, Close, Damage 12, Critical 16+

COMPLICATIONS
Motivation: Do the Bidding of Extinction!
Prejudice: Monstrous Appearance
Temper: Everything is Annoying, but especially humans!

STRENGTH
Lift 25 tons
Throw: 25 tons 30 feet; 200 lbs 1 mile; 50 lbs 4 miles

POWER POINT TOTALS
Abilities 48 + Skills 20 + Advantages 15 + Powers 49 + Defences 18 = 150
Last edited by Tony Jones on Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Flynnarrel wrote: A very War-like Horseman there, Sak. Can his Flight manifest like a spectral horse he rides (just to keep in theme)?]
I'll go with a red Flight aura.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Adam
The concept is promising and the background is ripe with potential. I am fine with the immune to the last attack type if it hits such as immune to bullets, blunt object damage, etc. Only thing I would say is that it doesn't stack. So, if he gets shot and then hit with a bat he is only immune to blunt object damage not the bullet. The lazy strength is thematically appropriate, but given the slow burn might not be built up completely by the time the battle is over. Burrowing is a classic power, so it's all good.

Like I mentioned for the other's, I am fine with the PC's being powerful. They are meant to be unstoppable by non-supernatural/divine powered beings unless ganged up on by a lot of normal forces. Even a battle ship vs a horsemen on its own isn't necessarily an even match for normal people.
Garald Medvedev
This group is shaping up to have some intimidating PC's. Should make for a fun game. Garald has a good evolution and build up to his change with his ties to Russia working well into things I have planned. What kind of end of the world is it if Russia and U.S don't have it at each other in some form after all? His powers are standard and straightforward enough. I admit to being on the fence about the mental effects immunity, but willing to see how it goes.
Monsters
As it stands, there is going to be quite a few who can do outright damage really well, so having PC's who can specialize in causing chaos and havoc in the environment is a plus. Generally, I like to have a good mix of PC's so its not just PC's hit really hard the NPC's and win. The monster looks fine as well. PL 8 is a bit high if there is many of them as even the elite non divine NPC's will be PL 7 with most NPC's being PL 6 if swat or soldiers. Bystanders are PL 1 at most with criminals falling between 1 and 6.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Only thing I would say is that it doesn't stack. So, if he gets shot and then hit with a bat he is only immune to blunt object damage not the bullet.
That's pretty much how a reaction variable power works. If can only change once per round when triggered.

So if he gets shot then hit with a bat, he'd get resistance to the bullet if it does damage, but even if the bat does damage, he wont gain resistance.

If in the next round the bullet fails to damage him due to the now half rank, but the bat does, he would then gain resistance to the blunt weapons.

If say he had older resistance to acid due to a previous encounter and didn't have enough points in his variable for the resistance to blunt weapons, then to become resistant to blunt weapons, he'd lose the old resistance to acid.

Basically, it's a way for him to be tanky, but leaving in lots of holes so he's not invincible. I'm still working on the rest to give him an offense, but hard to put a sheet together without solid internet. Will do what I can though. Glad you like the background.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Still being super indecisive :(

How do you feel about soft power characters?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

mrdent12 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:45 am
Monsters
As it stands, there is going to be quite a few who can do outright damage really well, so having PC's who can specialize in causing chaos and havoc in the environment is a plus. Generally, I like to have a good mix of PC's so its not just PC's hit really hard the NPC's and win. The monster looks fine as well. PL 8 is a bit high if there is many of them as even the elite non divine NPC's will be PL 7 with most NPC's being PL 6 if swat or soldiers. Bystanders are PL 1 at most with criminals falling between 1 and 6.
If the monsters are too powerful I could tone them down to a lower PL if you like. Or maybe make the power Unreliable (5 uses), which would set a hard limit on how much she could do it per day, as imposed by whoever has given them their powers?

Oh yes, slight edit to the monster - reduced Improved Initiative and Regeneration by 1 rank each and replaced them with Takedown - 2 for ploughing through the mooks even more effectively. I can swap it back if you prefer!

----

Also, a question. Can Extinction use her Morph power to shapeshift parts of herself into clothes that will protect her (in her human sized, Sta 1 form) from the weather like normal clothes would? Or would that be a 1 point Feature? Or could she just use Morph to ‘fold’ normal clothes into herself and back out again when she needed them?

Also, do you allow combinations of manoeuvres? For example, could you do an All Out Power Attack which would combine the features of manoeuvres to give at attack with +2 Damage Rank and -2 Defence?
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Still working on Death the pale riders being tricky because he should simultaneously be the horsemen the others both fear the least, and Fear the most because they have no idea what he she or it is going to do
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Tony Jones
If the monsters are too powerful I could tone them down to a lower PL if you like. Or maybe make the power Unreliable (5 uses), which would set a hard limit on how much she could do it per day, as imposed by whoever has given them their powers?

Oh yes, slight edit to the monster - reduced Improved Initiative and Regeneration by 1 rank each and replaced them with Takedown - 2 for ploughing through the mooks even more effectively. I can swap it back if you prefer!
As it stands, you only have a single summoned creature that is only active while the power is active. So, I am fine with the change since you can't use growth or shrinking at the same time. While you can do other things, while the power is the active one for the array you have little offensive ability. On one hand, it causes havoc while you do non fighting stuff it also means the summon is your offense let loose to its own devices.
Also, a question. Can Extinction use her Morph power to shapeshift parts of herself into clothes that will protect her (in her human sized, Sta 1 form) from the weather like normal clothes would? Or would that be a 1 point Feature? Or could she just use Morph to ‘fold’ normal clothes into herself and back out again when she needed them?
So long as there is no mechanical benefit, I am fine with clothes being included with morph.
Also, do you allow combinations of manoeuvres? For example, could you do an All Out Power Attack which would combine the features of manoeuvres to give at attack with +2 Damage Rank and -2 Defence?
So long as people don't get too crazy with combinations I am fine. If it gets too bad, you will likely end up targeted by the NPC's.

Spectrum
How do you feel about soft power characters?
Soft power? Not sure what you mean.

Death
Still working on Death the pale riders being tricky because he should simultaneously be the horsemen the others both fear the least, and Fear the most because they have no idea what he she or it is going to do
The horsemen shouldn't fear each other at all. Nonhorsemen will have differing opinions. A Meet Joe Black type death could be fun. Look non assuming then he turns all death like.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

mrdent12 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:50 am As it stands, you only have a single summoned creature that is only active while the power is active. So, I am fine with the change since you can't use growth or shrinking at the same time. While you can do other things, while the power is the active one for the array you have little offensive ability. On one hand, it causes havoc while you do non fighting stuff it also means the summon is your offense let loose to its own devices.
Ah. That’s not how I saw it. I thought with a Triggered power, which this is, you could set it up, then change your array to something else and the Triggered effect remains until it goes off. So while she couldn’t change size while infecting people with the monster transform, she could use do so after that because that Triggered power is then waiting inside the targets, which once it’s done is independent of her. And that by the same logic she could do it multiple times, with each one a separate Triggered effect. If it works the way you describe then that’s different to what I had in mind.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Someone better versed in the rules might know better, but a power as you describe would work around the whole intent multiple summons extra. Also, for trigger I was under the impression the power had to be active. For example, trigger teleport on damage only works if active in the array.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

No, triggered events do not go off if they are not the active power in the array.