[OOC] Four Horsemen [Finished]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Tony Jones

Re: [OOC] Four Horsemen - Recruiting

Post by Tony Jones »

OK, I think the whole ‘infecting people with monsters’ power is becoming more trouble than it’s worth!

That being so, instead of it, if you’re OK she can just have the power to summon a PL8 monster that she controls (I could go up to PL10 with the Summon, but as you thought PL8 was a bit over-powered I’ll stick with PL8). It forms out of her (from her hand or something), coming from the same place she gains and loses mass from as she changes size, then detaches as an independent entity she is linked to; it has its own mind, but she has a mental link with it. It is not hostile to her. If she lets it go it just quickly shrinks down to nothing and disappears. Points wise it would be:

Summon – 8, Active – 8, Mental Link, Sacrifice (26 points; 1 point as an Array slot)

Still useful as a distraction, just not quite as useful as the other way, but hopefully less contentious!
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

jmucchiello wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:18 pm No, triggered events do not go off if they are not the active power in the array.
Opinion seems to be divided on that one! I read the rules as the reverse. But hopefully not a problem for Extinction now in any case...
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

What confuses me about it where summon comes in. I thought she mutated them then left them to their own devices.

As for the triggered extra, I tend to find it's fine in certain circumstances to allow it to remain active when switching arrays, but certainly not for anything more than a instant duration effect.

The issue with affliction is they could always save against it, but using trigger to set a timer seems fair enough even if she switches off the array slot. It's like if you had a trip mine in a gadget array. Set it with the trigger, then switch to a different weapon, yeah?

The balancing factor here is her lack of control IF the target fails and is transformed, and even then, it only lasts a minute before they start getting to try to make saves to end the effect.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

As for myself I have a basic structure of a sheet on paper. I'll try to get it posted, though asemtioned it won't be pretty due to my lack of being able to do this on a computer to edit and such.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

jmucchiello wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:18 pm No, triggered events do not go off if they are not the active power in the array.
This actually came up recently on Reddit and my point of view is that Steve Kenson's ruling in 2E that they stick around stays valid, and that, in general, the intent with Triggered is that it creates something separate from the hero in question, able to be detected, avoided, disarmed, or triggered with no further action needed or available from the person setting it. They don't even automatically know when their Triggered effect goes off, other than any normal detectable aspect of it (so if you set a claymore mine, there's a decent chance you'll hear it go off if you're within the vicinity, but a more subtle effect, you might never know). The tradeoff is that once you set it, you do lose control of it, which means Landmine Guy might get some really bad press if he doesn't do clean-up after the dust-up in the local playground, and if he forgets he set a mine under his front door-step and he's the first person to step on it, he's not in any way immune to it.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

How does it work with concentration/sustained/continuous work if the character is no longer able to exert control over the effects of the triggered power?
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

I've been thinking about shifting some points around and working in Precognition limited to combat, tactics, and strategic insights. Is that something you would you be alright with in the game MrDent?

I'm also considering shifting Garald away from Intimidate and towards Persuasion, since it was pointed out that most of the submissions have been heavy in Intimidate.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Just to set expectations, raw mechanics arguments tend to reduce the enjoyment of the game for me. So while I use the rules, all of nuance might escape me and I am likely to be inclined to go with the simplest interpretation such as for the trigger discussion. If I clearly misinterpret some mechanic please correct me. Otherwise, I will likely refrain from getting too much into the nuance.

For the summon, given it is your only effective power for combat while active I am inclined to be fine with PL 10 with your change.

For Garald, precog in combat is fine, but would like to know how you would interpret it. As for the intimidation, most being intimidating just means the concepts that aren't as heavy in it will have less to compete with. The idea is to have a balanced group if PCs vs a bunch of thugs.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

mrdent12 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:50 am
How do you feel about soft power characters?
Soft power? Not sure what you mean.
I've been playing with a rather quiet character, one that has in fact made it one of his goals in life to not be known about. The other goal in life being at the hub of a vast spider web of contacts and connections. Wealth is no longer a goal, wealth after a certain point becomes merely a stand in for influence. The ability to influence people, the ability to change the way that people behave and how they view the world. But, he's also reaching a point where his health is fading. So much relies upon him keeping things moving, so many places in the world would falter and fall if he were to suddenly leave but perhaps, with a little work, he can put things into a safe place as he goes.

As he dies, so shall the world around him.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

That... doesn't sound like a Horseman of the Apocalypse actively working for the End of Times.
"Something pithy this way comes."
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

I'd have to agree. Yielding influence in the background to bring about the end times, sure. Height have a vast network to tap via persuasion or the like with the goal of ending the world, maybe to remake it for some reason. My worry is that he wouldn't be much use in combat if solely dedicated to tapping his network.

The general idea of the Horsemen is that they can take on governments and require considerable effort to stop by nonpowered people. If one can simply walk up to them, point a gun at their head, and shoot they aren't too intimidating and mostly background players. Horsemen are supposed to leading the charge.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I think that is where I'm having a fundamental problem coming up with a character concept that will keep my interest.

It's been easy for me to come up with cackling madmen that want to blow up the world. Those concept will get caught easily, put in their place. They give the rest of the world a target and the nail can be pounded in.

I've recently started playing a video game where you control a plague that wipes out all of humanity. It's a sneaky game. You have to spread yourself widely enough that the entire planet is affected. But the bigger you make yourself, the more interested people are in shutting you down. Its a delicate balance between fighting the cure clock and making sure that you wipe out everybody. I can't count the number of times that I've managed to wipe out all but 2% of the world population before burning my plague out.

How do you go deep enough, subtle enough, to get the job done? Cackling madman/obvious threat doesn't sound like the right play.

Politicians, religious figures, business leaders, those people have the power to get things done.

In real life, I'm a lot more afraid of what a George Soros, Mark Zuckerberg or Adam Schiff can do than a Charles Manson. I've even more concerned about the people with enough power to remain anonymous.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I've got 2pp left I think, but here's my horseman.

Overall pretty simple. His main focus is being a Juggernaut of sorts. Head on combat won't beat this one, though there are ways still to restrain him. It takes 3 rounds minimum to get to maximum strength
Adam Strife

Background: Adam was your typical small mining town man. Burgeoning alcohol problem, reckless womanizing, a brush with drugs here and there. Ultimately a man with nothing specific to live for but to make it through each day, until that changed.

Adam met Eve who lit a fire in his life and made him want more from life. Unfortunately for Adam, Eve didn't. She was as reckless and slothful as he'd been. Adam didn't see it at first, but when he found Eve in bed with another man, the beginnings of hope he had for a future crumbled and dropped him through the tenuous "life" he'd had before.

He killed the man with his bare hands and dragged Eve out to the mine where he worked, intending to bring the whole damn thing down on top of them. He either didn't know or didn't care about the twenty-four other workers that were still in the mine and in his petty retribution, everyone died. Except one.

ATTRIBUTES [30pp]
Str 2 (17)
Sta 3
Agi 2
Dex 0
Fig 5
Int 0
Awa 2
Pre 1

Defenses [34pp]
Tough 13 (3+10)
Parry 11 (5+6)
Dodge 11 (2+9)
Fort 12 (3+9)
Will 12 (2+10)

SKILLS [5pp combat. 3pp non-combat]
C.C.Unarmed 2 (+7), R.C.Thrown 7(+7)
Insight 1 (+3), Perception 7 (+9), Technology 1 (+1), Vehicles 1 (+1)

Advantages [8pp]
All-Out Attack, Benefit(Powerful Presense: Use Str for intimidation), Chokehold, Diehard, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Smash, Startle

POWERS [100pp]
[26pp] Lazy Strength: Enhanced Strength 15, Subtle, Activation (Move) 5

[11pp] Tough Hide: Protection 10, Subtle

[37pp] Adaptable Resilience: Variable 4, Continuous, Reaction (Taking damage), Subtle, Limited to Limited Immunity to triggering damage descriptors(-2)

[5pp] Won't Stay Down: Regeneration 10, Limited to while incapacitated

Power Array [12pp, 5 dynamic effects]
[13pp] Mighty Leap: Leaping (1/r), Dynamic
[2pp] Unstoppable: Burrowing (1/r), Dynamic, Penetrating, Limited to material toughness equal or lower than strength rank
[2pp] Makeshift Handholds: Movement (2/r) (Wall-crawling), Dynamic, Penetrating, Limited to material toughness equal or lower than strength rank
[2pp] Brace: Immunity 10 (Being moved)(5pp), Dynamic, Concentration Linked to Impervious Toughness (1pp per 2r +1), Subtle, Concentration
[2pp] Massive Knockback: Move Object (1pp per 2r -1pp), Close, Dynamic, Limited to flinging away, Quirk (Max rank limited by Strength rank), Linked to Strength damage

COMPLICATIONS
Motivation: End of the world. As one of the Horsemen, its Adam's desire to see to the end of the world.

Apathy: Adam's slothful ways give him a streak of apathy that can temporarily remove all motivation to do anything, even in the middle of something as intense as combat. While apathetic, Adam will not engage in any manner of activity, even if it means stopping in the middle of what he's doing.

Temper: Adam's temper seems to become stoked alongside his powers. As his Lazy Strength comes closer to max power, Adam's temper also tends to flare. Fortunately this temper lasts only as long as his strength does, but at max power, he's capable of some truly devastating damage to his surroundings and anyone in them.
Last edited by EpicEclipse on Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

I'll look over your build tonight Epic.

As for your concept Spectrum, it sounds alot like Cognangion already.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

mrdent12 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:24 pm I'll look over your build tonight Epic.

As for your concept Spectrum, it sounds alot like Cognangion already.
I was kinda thinking that same thing. Then again, Cognagion was pretty similar to Spectrum's first idea too, so perhaps that's the real link.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."