[OOC] Four Horsemen [Finished]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: [OOC] Four Horsemen - Recruiting

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Made some adjustments.
Ditched the idea of illusions all together. Maybe if he becomes more powerful in game, but for now it's all personality and presence. Speaking which...

I did keep the phantasmal attack, in a sense. The attack now works by him focusing his Preternatural Presence into a verbal attack which damages people mentally. Requires targets to be capable of hearing him while doing this. He also has a back up knife (like seen in the picture), for when things get really desperate.

Defenses wise, I gave him some normal Defensive Dodge ranks to up his active toughness. When he's up against human enemies (Animals, robots, and automated defenses need not apply) his memetic defenses kick in, which effectively encourages people targeting him to miss on purpose.

These changes overall gave me enough room to tack in some more skills, such as the relevant flavor expertise of Criminal and some sneaky skills.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

mrdent12 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:57 pm For Extinction, the array looks fine just be careful to not override other players. Others should be able to shine as well despite being a utility character. As for the monster, it would be the pl of whoever you transform and might go after you as well. Wanton destruction is all well and good, but it could backfire if the objective needs more discriminate destruction or finesse.
That’s fine. Don’t want to tread on others people’s toes if it can be avoided.

As for the monster that’s fine; I see them as an indiscriminate rage beast. I had in mind that it might attack Extinction as well as everyone else given the opportunity so no problem there. It’s intended as a terror/horror thing more than anything. That’s part of the reason why the power has a time delay trigger on it – she can wander through a crowd of people, discretely put the change onto them, then go away again and wait for monsters to appear in a couple of hours.

If the PL of the monster is the same as the PL of the victim then I guess she’ll be targeting police, soldiers etc. etc. to get more powerful monsters. Though it strikes me that you’re perhaps making work for yourself as you then need stats for monsters of all PLs, and to work out the PLs of any NPC she targets. But also if most people are PL0 those are going to be pretty feeble rampaging monsters, which is not quite what I had in mind! What if all transformations made a PL5 (or whatever works for you) monster? That’s be dangerous, but hopefully not too over-powered.

In terms of what the monsters look like, if it’s OK with you they are a huge creature like an armoured gorilla with a horned head and the beak of a huge predatory bird. Eight eyes give it all round vision. Its digits are tipped with huge claws. Its armour is scarlet with black tiger stripe markings.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

I'll look over your changes this afternoon Doctor Malsyn.

For the transform, the reason I am saying PL is the limit is because otherwise you could theoretically make Mothra or Godzilla from a child. In that case, if you wanted, Summon or Variable effects others would be more appropriate. As for Pl, I know the NPCs present so limiting them to PL is simple enough. You came make them look as you like though.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Rules-wise, Summon (with a quirk [requires biological material] or even Linked to an incapacitating affliction), gives a set PL creature(s). Affliction(Transformation) can only move around existing points.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

mrdent12 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:13 pm For the transform, the reason I am saying PL is the limit is because otherwise you could theoretically make Mothra or Godzilla from a child. In that case, if you wanted, Summon or Variable effects others would be more appropriate. As for Pl, I know the NPCs present so limiting them to PL is simple enough. You came make them look as you like though.
I was thinking everyone gets transformed into the same type of monster at some fixed PL, agreed with you in advance, not for it to be the ability to make whatever monsters I wanted. Given how I've described it I was thinking of it more as a distraction than anything else rather than something to use on named NPCs. Do it to some random people in the street away from an actual target as a distraction, or just to generally spread terror and destruction. But if you'd rather I did it as a Summon I can do that. I'll have a think...
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

If the intent is a distraction, by all means rearrange whoever's you attack points as a distraction. Even the most harmless creature will scare the masses into panic if they look ugly enough.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Removed 'cumulative' from his main power, as I had misattribibuted progressive as a +1 extra and I still desired that feature.
------------
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

For the monster making how about the following:

Affliction - 10 [resisted by Will], Progressive - 10, Limited Degree: Third Degree Only - 10 [Transformed],
Triggered (after 2 hours), Subtle - 2, Insidious, Reach - 1 (15 points);
Summon - 8, Active - 8, Continuous Duration - 8, Attitude - 8, Limited: Only While Target is Transformed - 8,
Linked to Affliction, Triggered (once target is Transformed) (17 points)
Total: 32 points

So if you're OK with it once the power is used the Summon keeps going until the victim makes a Will check to break out of the Affliction, regardless of what Extinction herself is doing elsewhere. What do you reckon?
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Final version. I made them more capable of destruction with this pass.

Maria "Aeranel" Coccietta di Fortenza
(Hero; PL: 12; PP: 180/180)

STR: 10; AGL: 0; FGT: 10; AWE: 0
STA: 12; DEX: 0; INT: 2; PRE: 0

Dodge: 10, Parry: 10, Fortitude: 12, Toughness: 14 (Imp 14), Will: 12

COMBAT
Initiative: +0; Close: +14; Ranged: +0
  • Cleansing Fire: Burst Area Damage 12: (DC 27) Range: 30 feet radius sphere, dc 22
  • Fire Bolt: Damage 10: +14 (DC 25) Range: 250/500/1000 ft.
  • Fire Stare: Cumulative Affliction 14: +10 (Will DC 24)
  • Grab: +14 (Special DC 20) Range: Close
  • Makin' Mayhem: Cumulative Burst Area Affliction 8: (DC 18)
  • Throw: +0 (DC 25)
  • Unarmed: +14 (DC 25) Range: Close
  • Weaken: Weaken 14: +14 (Fortitude DC 24)
SKILLS: Athletics +10; Deception +0; Insight +0; Intimidation +21 (21r); Perception +0; Persuasion +0; Stealth +0

LANGUAGES: English

ADVANTAGES: Close Attack 4, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Startle

POWERS
  • HALO: Feature 1 - (1 PP)
    Not only does their HALO glow, when Aeranel looks at someone within the light of their halo, they see the evil that person has done (or that Aeranel imagines they've done). Aeranel has never met someone who doesn't reek of evil.

When they turn off their halo, they turn back into Maria. Maria is 5'5", 135#, with black hair and brown eyes. She dresses conservatively. When her clothes deteriate sufficiently, she steals something new.
  • Horsemen Powers - Flaws: Device: Removable (Free)
    • Communicate with Horsemen: Senses 1 - Communication Link: Divine Telepathy (1 PP)
    • Sense other Horsemen: Senses 1 - Awareness: Other Horsemen (1 PP)
  • Impervious Defense: Impervious Toughness 14 - Ability: Toughness (14 PP)
  • Inhuman Form: Immunity 12 - Aging, Life Support, Sleep (12 PP)
    Maria is unaware of these immunities.
  • Powers Almighty - (30 PP)
    • Cleansing Fire: Burst Area Damage 12 - Extras: Area (Burst) (30 feet radius sphere, dc 22) (1 PP)
      Fire engulfs Aeranel's form and then burst outward, burning everything for 30 feet around them.
    • Damnation Stare - (1 PP)
      After a successful grab, Aeranel stares the victim in the eyes and makes them relive every evil Aeranel believes they've committed. Simultaneously, the victim's strength is sapped and when the victim becomes incapacitated, Aeranel heals a little.
      • Fire Stare: Cumulative Affliction 14 - 1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Immobile, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Will; Extras: Cumulative; Flaws: Grab-based, Inaccurate 2 (-4) (12 PP)
      • LIfe Transferance: Regeneration 10 Every 1 round - Extras: Linked: Fire Stare: Cumulative Affliction 14; Flaws: Grab-based, Limited: Only if victim is incapacitated (or worse) (4 PP)
      • Weaken: Weaken 14 - Affects: Strength, Resisted by: Fortitude; Extras: Linked: Fire Stare: Cumulative Affliction 14; Flaws: Grab-based (7 PP)
    • Fire Bolt: Damage 10 - Extras: Accurate 7 (+14), Increased Range (Ranged) (1 PP)
      A ball of fire forms in her hand and flies forward.
    • Makin' Mayhem: Cumulative Burst Area Affliction 8 - 3rd degree: Controlled, Resisted by: Will; Extras: Area (Burst) 2 (60 feet radius sphere, dc 18), Cumulative, Insidious, Subtle 2 (Undetectable); Flaws: Limited Degree (third only) (27 PP)
      Sometimes, Maria will turn on this effect. It causes everyone around them to become psychotic, manic, suicidal, and/or sociopathic. Being Subtle 2/Insidious, the effect cannot be traced to her. Although anyone watching security footage, will notice they are not being targeted by those affected.
  • Protection: Protection 2 +2 Toughness - (2 PP)
  • Psychosis: Immunity 5 - Interaction Skills (5 PP)
    She is so out of touch with reality that she cannot be influenced by social interaction. (This is also why she lacks skill in Perception, Insight, Persuasion, and Deception.)
  • Wings: Flight 9 Speed: 1000 miles/hour, 2 miles/round - Flaws: Wings (9 PP)
Eyes: burning golden light Hair: Blond/White
Height: 6' 4" Weight:175 lb.

BACKGROUND
Maria has always had voices in her head. But a strong set of anti-psychosis drugs kept them in check up until a year ago when she stopped taking them. Maria was always a good girl in a world of depravity and hedonism. Since stopping her meds, she now sees the world for what it is: a cesspool of evil. Mankind must be eliminated.

During a psychotic episode, Maria was attacked by gang members. She transformed into her angelic form and killed them all. Hunting them down for well over two hours after the incident. A bystander thought they was some kind of comic book hero come-to-life. And Aeranel did proclaim to be the Hand of God, here to cleanse the world of evil.

Over time, it has been discovered that she will kill anyone for any perceived "evil".

Aeranel is an androgenous, winged "angel" with pure white skin, white feathered wings, and golden halo around their head. They wear no clothing when they manifest. Anyone who gets near them, can hear Aeranel mumbling about finding and destroying but being indecisive about where to start because there is so much of it.

COMPLICATIONS
  • Motivation: Vengence: Destroying evil is god's work, right? God will justly deal with collateral damage.
  • Obsession: When they witness true evil, they must stomp it out immediately. Aeranel will not witness a murder and turn away from it. (The actions of the other horsemen are exempt from this complication. The horsemen are part of Aeranel's divine mandate to destroy evil.)
  • Penniless: Maria has no means to hold down a job or support herself. She doesn't realize she no longer needs to eat or sleep. But when she remembers she hasn't done these things in a while, she will wander into a homeless shelter and most likely kill everyone there after spending some time noticing how much "evil" there is in the shelter.
  • Power Loss: If faced with the reality that their actions caused the harm of an infant or toddler, Aeranel might demanifest. Innocence still conflicts with their notion that everyone is evil.
  • Reputation: Maria has a reputation of being completely insane. She is "on the run" from several asylums. Not that a normal asylum can hold Aeranel.
  • Sense Evil: Aeranel's HALO sometimes glows brighter or dims. When this happens she sometimes believes she's stumbled upon a previously unknown evil of great significance. (IOW, for a HP, the GM can force Aeranel to overreact in an otherwise benign social situation.)
MOVEMENT AND STRENGTH DATA
Size: Normal size ~6 ft.
Flight: 1,000 miles/hour; 2 miles/round
Walking: 2 miles/hour; 30 feet/round; Running: 4 miles/hour; 60 feet/round
Swimming: 1/2 mile/hour; 6 feet/round
Jumping: Running 10 ft.; Standing 5 ft.; Vertical 2 ft.; Standing Vertical 1 ft.
Throwing Distances: 100 tons up to 6 ft, 25 tons up to 30 ft, 6 tons up to 120 ft
TOTALS: Abilities: 68, Powers: 73, Advantages: 10, Skills: 7, Defenses: 22 -> 180

HOUSE RULES
  • Skill Points: 3 Skill Points per PP
Last edited by jmucchiello on Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

PL 12 - The Cognagion
In terms of fluffy bits, the character is very interesting. The mind controling/thrall creation and jumping about on death to someone else is a nice feature. Having the HQ is also a nice touch if you decide to share it with the others. How are you imagining the personnel will be split up? Office workers, scientists, security guards, etc?

Mechanics wise, he is a bit nondurable, so it is good he has the immortality. At 3 fortitude, tear gas could take him out possibly and area fortitude effects will be a big issue. If he is hit, he may not last terribly long. Aside from that, he is a solid character. Normally I would ask for the damage to be ranged, but since sense dependent grants a roll to close ones eyes or cover ones ears its all good. I'd imagine his main thing would be creating a bunch of thralls to do his bidding, so like the other concepts I trust you to keep that in check for the enjoyment of all PC's.
Affliction - 10 [resisted by Will], Progressive - 10, Limited Degree: Third Degree Only - 10 [Transformed],
Triggered (after 2 hours), Subtle - 2, Insidious, Reach - 1 (15 points);
Summon - 8, Active - 8, Continuous Duration - 8, Attitude - 8, Limited: Only While Target is Transformed - 8,
Linked to Affliction, Triggered (once target is Transformed) (17 points)
Total: 32 points
This would work. Sort of a human breeding the monster in a sense.
Maria "Aeranel" Coccietta di Fortenza
As a first pass, it seems on the right track. I'll hold back until it is mostly settled. The only caution I would give is that evil is not interpreted against your fellow PC's and if they murder someone you won't turn on them.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

No, of course not. I said, they view the horsemen as an extension of their divine mandate to destroy all evil. So by definition, the other horsemen aren't any more evil than Aeranel themself. I will clarify that in the complication text.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

No worries, I probably missed it.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Damn... I actually completely missed his fortitude. I've decided to ditch his ranks of Inspire in order to midge out a bit more survivablity with his hosts. Just because he can jump to a new body after he does doesn't mean that it's not inconvenient when it happens. Fleshed out the rest of his motivations as well, including a power loss and a dependency on humanity.

His HQ would be a mix of office-workers and it's security who were already present beforehand, and some of the men from his gang that followed him to the new location as I imagine we're not limiting ourselves to Chicago of all places, hahah. You can assume that if they're not directly willing, they're being influenced by him to act as if he wasn't even there for the most part. That's where the Secretive portion comes into play. And yes, I do intend to use his thrall creation in ways that don't get in the way of other PCs. He's best at setting things up to go on behind the scenes while he and the rest of the horseman focus on their mission after all.
------------
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Death : John Smith AKA the Pale Rider, the Fourth Horsemen, the Omega, The Grim Reaper, the Ferryman

PL:10/215pp

Attributes: 38pp

Str: 0, Agi: 0, Fight: 6, Awe: 6

Sta: - , Dex: 0, Int: 6, Pre: 6

Skills: 17PP

Expertise Death 14 (+20 )
Insight 6 (+12)
Intimidation 14 (+20 )
Perception 4 (+10 )
Ranged Combat (Death Powers) 10 (+10)
Treatment 4 (+10 )

Advantages: 8pp

Benefit 1 (Death itself), Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Eidetic Memory, Fascinate (Intimidation), Fearless, Startle, Withstand Damage

Powers: 140pp

"Death Eternal"
"You Cant Kill Death" Immortality 1 (2 weeks) [2]
Regeneration 10 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [11]
Death itself (Immunity 5 (Death effects) 5pp
Deaths Choice (Feature 1 (may choose ONCE to bypass THE LIST) 1pp
Faster then Life (Speed 1 Subtle , wall crawling 1, Water walking 1, leaping 1) 7pp

Immunity 32 (Fortitude Effects. Critical hits) [32pp]
Protection 14 (Extras: Impervious 14) [28]

Visiions of Death (Array 4 + 3 Alt effects) 11pp
See the Dying: (Senses 5 (Detect [Death or Dying] Ranged Accurate Acute) 8pp
Vision of Death: Senses 4 (Precognition(flaw: limited Visions of death -1) 1pp
Speak with the Dead: (Senses 4 (Postcognition) 1pp
Speak all tongues: (Comprehend 4 (Languages 4) 1pp

The Power of Death (Array 32 + 11 Alternate powers) 43pp
Banshees wail (Perception Area Hearing Affliction 10 [resist & overcome by will] Dazed Stunned Dying )
Strength of the Grave (Enhanced Strength 12 Improved Critical 4 (unarmed) and power Attack, And Close Combat 2)
Deaths Gate (Movement 2 Dimensional 2 [Afterlives] Portal)
Death stare (Perception ranged Cumulative Affliction 10 (resist overcome by will) (Impaired Stunned Paralyzed)
Death touch (cumulative Affliction 10 [resist & overcome by fortitude] Impaired Disabled Dying])
Suppress life (Weaken Stamina 10 (incurable Insidious (only vs recovery checks)
Deaths Gift (Healing 8 (Extras: Ranged, Restorative, Resurrection, ) (Flaws: Limited to Others)
Untouchable Substance (Insubstantial 4 (Feats: Selective, Subtle 2 and Concealment 4 (all visual)
Valkyries Ride (teleport 16 Accurate Extended (limited to dying subject)
I beheld a Pale Horse (Immortality 14 (1 minute)
Thousand Faces of Death (Morph 5 (Metamorph)
Pale Rider: (Speed 11 subtle 1, wall crawling 1, Water walking 1, Trackless, Safe fall, leaping 9)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +0

Defenses: (12pp)
Dodge +6 (DC 20), Parry +6 (DC 20), Toughness +14 (+14 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will +12

Complications

The Balance: Death is devoted to maintaining the balance of the universe by insuring the cycle of life to death continues. this is done without exception or mercy though in rare instances he might be convinced to grant a stay.

The List: Death has a list of who dies when and where and how, this is never wrong and Death follows it religiously.
* Deaths powers cannot kill someone whose time is not on the list.
* nor can they heal someone whos time has come.

The Archangel of Death: Death is a manifestation of her will and can be called to some duty anywhere at any time.

Mute (Death can speak but the voice of death is not meant for mortal ears and hearing it is almost certainly a death sentence for anyone hearing it.)

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 17 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 140 / Defenses: 12 (215pp)

Background

In the beginning nothing changed, and then the presence said four words.

"Let there be light."

The Presence had decided that things must change in order for balance to be maintained. the Archangel of Destiny gave this change a name.

Death.

It was decided that an archangel would exemplify the word of Death, the concept of change from one state of life to another. The angel chosen was named Azrael, she was a minor angel a servant of the Archangel of Life. At once she was upgraded to the status of archangel and her power changed simultaneously immense enough to cause even the Morning Star to pause. But restrained by a mandate that only she, the Archangel of Destiny and the Presence itself could know. Mysterious and terrifying her face forever hidden underneath a dark cloak which hid her features from even the most powerful of archangels.

Over the Aeons She would take on many names across the universe. the Reaper, Hades, Anubis, always some Aspect of her would be known to man, and always those aspects would have one singular purpose. To contine the Cycle of life into death and back into life again. Part of these aspects was created by her ages agone to be the ultimate judge and if necessary executioner.

The Horseman of Death. the Pale Rider. One of the Four.

And thus we come to John Smith. A nobody, someone seemingly destined to be forgotten by history. Abandoned at birth, consigned to an orphanage. Ill at birth and for most of his life, no athletic ability, no intellect or imagination. Merely average and soon to be forgotten alone except for the vague whispers in his mind that he could hear.

Only one young girl refused to let him fall into despair. She was as sick as he was but she never despaired or lost hope and she tried to get him to do the same. And slowly she did --at least she thought so--. Then one day she got good news, an experimental treatment for her condition was available. She was exited and told him to wish her luck which he did, even though he knew it would be hopeless, the procedure only worked in less then 2% of cases at best with major complications at worst.

She was taken away and john despaired because his friend would be gone, and the whispers grew louder.

Then she survived; the procedure was a success. She would live and no complications were expected. There was hope, and something in John broke that night. he couldn't process what had happened. She was going to live, the chances were astronomical beyond any possibility. that was when there lying ill in his sick bed, the whispers hed heard grew louder and more insistent.

There was something he had to do the balance had to be restored. So John stumbled out of bed, and walked on weak legs that could barely hold his frail form into her room where she was sleeping and recovering.

She was so beautiful, and he barely felt it as he turned off the machines keeping her breathing as a precaution, then he raised her medication level. he watched fascinated as her vitals plunged then finally flatlined as they did her eyes opened, and stared at him locked with his. And as they did he saw something leave her, heard something congratulating him then he returned to bed somehow unnoticed by the staff rushing to her room.

As john lay there that night he received a visitor. the first visitor he'd ever received outside of the nursing staff, and his friend. She was beautiful the face he could see beneath the hood of her cloak. She whispered to him in a voice that was so beautiful even though her lips never moved. It was the voice of the whispers that had been with him all his life. She sang to him and told him that his time had come.

He would be called, the one and the fourth. The horsemen that would follow all the other horsemen. Where War, Famine, Pestilence, Strife, Contagion, Destruction and all the others passed, he would walk in their wake bringing about the final change

He stood up then his body healthier then it had ever been before, and his name as forgotten, as his purpose was now clear. He looked before him and beheld a pale horse, and when he sat upon it he knew that he who rode upon it was Death.

And hell followed with him.
Bit od a place holder build while i sort things out

the basics of the character are that hes a walking (not talking) manifsestation of death, the original pale rider. where he goes death is let in his wake. hes not genocidal like the others though hes merely doing his duty as he always has. hes ageless and timesless and goes about hsi task.

sometimes he stops to listen as if someone speaking to him or occasionally he cna be seen talking to a robed figure then he returns to his duties

Story updated per request.
Last edited by catsi563 on Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:46 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Congagion's updates look good. The complications being expanded is a nice touch to help flesh out the character. While the game won't start out in Chicago, that isn't to say it won't be there at some point. Each adventure will take place at different places in the world and other countries at times.I is meant to be a global scope game. I am not trying to put anyone off at fully using their powers. What fun is a villain game if you can't go crazy with the powers unrestrained by being a hero? There is ways to coordinate the craziness though which I trust y'all to handle.
Death : John Smith
The idea of death is cool. It will be interesting to see who he is before becoming death. Also, if I remember right, immune to Fort means Will is capped at 12. Been a bit since I looked up that rule though and might just be what I use. Also, for the purposes of this game there isn't truly other dimensions. That isn't to say he can't have the power to make a pocket dimension of the "after life". Should be an interesting character to see how he goes from normal bloke to death.