[OOC...MnM 3e] Civitas Crew (Fully staffed)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
jmucchiello

Re: [OOC...MnM 3e] Civitas Crew (Recruiting until 1/23- 5 days)

Post by jmucchiello »

Tony Jones wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:03 am Quick question - how many Equipment Points is a full featured modern smartphone? Looking at the book you could make a case for 5 or more.
I really don't think it matters. An audio recording device isn't worth 1 EP these days.
betterwatchit

Post by betterwatchit »

Did a little update for Goldwing.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Added Dr Ooze to The List.

I kinda lacked inspiration for a description... let me know if you want it updated...
(hope the list is helpful HH... figured since I started it I should maintain it...)

And between this game pitch and the artist (frishDVH) that drew the Spiderman/ Scarab, I've been inspired to build a variation on the Sinister Six as Rogue's Gallery for my Scarab... so even if I don't get selected for the game, I'm really happy that you broke my creativity dry-spell !
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

jmucchiello wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:52 pm
Tony Jones wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:03 am Quick question - how many Equipment Points is a full featured modern smartphone? Looking at the book you could make a case for 5 or more.
I really don't think it matters. An audio recording device isn't worth 1 EP these days.
Largely up to the GM. I spent the point because that's what's recommended by the book. *shrug*
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

EpicEclipse wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:36 pm I built Darklite's with 4. Cellphone, data, video recording and audio Recording. Smartphones have basic apps like calculators and date/time built in, so it doesn't seem necessary to give them additional points to add them, yeah? But being able to link online from wherever, or having solid video/audio recording does.
Sounds reasonable. Though given that most smartphones also have GPS, maybe even 5 EPs counting that?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Mmm, the way I reason it, is with data you can access things like google maps, so would reasonably factor under that.

Again, largely a GM discretionary kind of thing, and keeping in mind as equipment, it is prone to failure when the gm deems it dramatically appropriate. ;) So he's probably not going to stress too much on it.
Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask »

Equipment lists from Atlas Prime:

Unison Agent: Pistol (6 points), cell phone (1 point), digital camera (1 point), notebook computer • 2 Equipment points

Unison Trooper: Assault Rifle (16 points), body armor (Toughness +2, 2 points), cell phone (1 point), night vision goggles • 1 Equipment point

Unison "Solo" (assassin): Holdout pistol (4 points), sniper rifle (13 points), sleep gas pellets (12 points), burglar’s kit (2 points), disguise kit (1 point), concealed commlink (2 point), binoculars (1 point), concealed flash goggles (2 points), concealed gas mask (2 points), concealed multi-tool (2 points), night vision goggles (1 point), digital camera (1 point), notebook computer (2 points), broom (1 point), GPS (1 point), plus 3 points worth of additional equipment • 50 Equipment points

So yeah 5 points in Equipment is perfectly viable.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

The problem is a computer only costing 2 and smart phone costing 2. The concept of a smart phone goes beyond that. Frankly, a supplement to update modern equipment is called for. My problem with making a cell phone 5 EP is that's a 1 whole point. Is a cell phone worthy of being an Advantage? Or of being a Power: Feature 1 "Owns a cell phone"?

I don't think it does. Afterall. For one point, you have a choice, you can have a phone identical to the one many 13 year olds in the US carry or you can time travel to one time period. Does that sound equivalent?
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

I would say you could make a case that a smartphone is an advantage. After all, the ability to communicate at range with voice, video and data, record audio/visual information and send it to others, store large amounts of data on board, and know exactly where you are, are all pretty useful things. More useful in everyday life than some 1 point powers I'd suspect. I suppose the march of technology has effectively just made some low level powers accessible to the general public...
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Always fun when the cellphone debate comes up... ;)
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Does it happen a lot?
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

It may help to remember that the original version of M&M came out in 2002.
Back in 2002 cellphones were available but not commonly used.
The iPhone wouldn't be released until 2007, which is when smartphones really took off, though Blackberry phones existed back in 2002.

So at the time a cellphone was a simple device that would get you calls.
Even when the smartphones came out originally they were basically just a cellphone with a webbrowser and e-mail.

As time has gone by the phones have gotten more and more complex and unique, but the rules for equipment have largely ignored these changes.
So you might find that the rules for the devices don't really match up with what they can do these days.

That being said, it's just equipment. It'll work until a villain puts up a cell blocker ;~)
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Arkite hit it pretty much on the head there. The rules haven't evolved as quickly as cellphone technology has, and at the end of the day, again, it's just equipment. It's reeeeally not worth twisting your brain in knots over. Pay what you think it's worth, the GM may ask you to put a little more in or not.

Certainly nothing worth arguing over.
Shock

Post by Shock »

If it were me, I wouldn't charge points for a cell phone unless you plan on using it for remote hacking, etc. "Everybody" has a smart phone so it doesn't make much sense to charge a point for having one. Just like you don't charge a character points for their secret ID having a car or a house.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Shock wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:01 pm If it were me, I wouldn't charge points for a cell phone unless you plan on using it for remote hacking, etc. "Everybody" has a smart phone so it doesn't make much sense to charge a point for having one. Just like you don't charge a character points for their secret ID having a car or a house.
Exactly.

Computer is the same thing. Most everyone has a home computer. Just like they have a car and a house. I think if you spend the EP on a "smart phone" you are paying for the ability to do superhero things with a smart phone. Not the mundane stuff.