[OOC...MnM 3e] Civitas Crew (Fully staffed)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Horsenhero

Re: [OOC...MnM 3e] Civitas Crew (Recruiting until 1/23- 5 days)

Post by Horsenhero »

jmucchiello wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:19 pm
Shock wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:01 pm If it were me, I wouldn't charge points for a cell phone unless you plan on using it for remote hacking, etc. "Everybody" has a smart phone so it doesn't make much sense to charge a point for having one. Just like you don't charge a character points for their secret ID having a car or a house.
Exactly.

Computer is the same thing. Most everyone has a home computer. Just like they have a car and a house. I think if you spend the EP on a "smart phone" you are paying for the ability to do superhero things with a smart phone. Not the mundane stuff.
Well, I take the general approach suggested back in the 2e Masterminds Manual. Sure, everyone can have a car, but if you take that car doing superhero stuff and it gets destroyed, then you no longer have a car. If you pay for a car with equipment points and the car gets destroyed...the car gets replaced by the next adventure (as if you have full coverage insurance or whatever). So, if you have a smartphone and don't pay EP for it, then if it gets destroyed while out doing super stuff, then you didn't have insurance on that phone and replacing it becomes less automatic. Anything bought with EPs, gets an automatic replacement unless I'm following a plot point with it, in which case that earns the character a HP. Anything that has utility for hero work and gets used for such work comes with a cost. Anything that comes at no cost is considered a temporary perk and doesn't necessarily get replaced right away. It depends on whether I feel a player is taking advantage of "life perks" that fall outside what's purchased on a character sheet.

Easy peasy.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Sounds good!
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

So for those that do wish to pay for our smartphones to use on the job, how many ep are you feeling? Assuming call, texting data and basic recording and smartphone apps?
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Well, anyone with well-off or better wealth would still have a car, possibly a rental from their insurance company. Or replace a cell phone in a day.

There's no need to overthink this. I've never seen anyone use their minivan to get to an active crime scene.
betterwatchit

Post by betterwatchit »

And any modern power would be well-advised to find an app that would allow them to communicate securely.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

On a tangent, I was thinking the phone should just be assumed. You pay EP for apps that are "better" than stock apps. Secure IM is a 1 EP app. GPS with altitude is an app. etc.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Tony Jones wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:29 pm Does it happen a lot?
No, not really. But it's still an interesting debate... This one has been civil and fairly calm.
Sometimes people argue that a 1 pt power is still a power...
Last edited by Bladewind on Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Ultimately I'm good with whatever so long as everyone is on the same page. :)
Adventure Dan

Post by Adventure Dan »

Updated Dr. Ooze. Gave the quick version of his backstory, since I was worried about not having it done in time. If I get in, I'll likely go back and edit the build to match what I came up with for his story, like adding a point in Benefit or ranks in Expertise: TV Host.
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

As an FYI, it's been a pretty hectic week in the office and at home, however, things are returning to normal. That does mean my intention to have the Atlantean complete a few days ago have fallen through, I will have time to complete my submission, but it likely won't be until this evening by 7 or 8pm. I apologize for the delay and will have it all worked out in short order!
Shock

Post by Shock »

I have an idea for my robot. Drone: the ultimate in modular robot design. It'ss sort of a reverse Voltron with the ability to split off limbs into smaller versions of himself. However I'm not sure how to go about building that hopefully I'll have it worked out for tonight but I'm open to build suggestions
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

There are two ways I can think of doing something like that.

Both involve having your base body built, but differ in how you structure your powers.

The simpler of the two is probably more costly, but make your main power a Summon for the mini bots, then build the mini bots with the function you want them to be able to add as a Affects Others power with a side effect flaw that they are innert while providing this power.

This way the mini bots can do minion stuff, and also provide powers, but it has a neat effect of acting like ablative armor if you give them interpose and are willing to sacrifice a power in order to have a mini bot take the hit for you. It also means enemies can target the mini bots to remove abilities you are using that are troublesome.

The other way you could build it is make each of your powers provided by the mini bots and have summon as an alternate effect. Given how powers costs work, this could get complicated and limit what the mini it's can do.

A dynamic array could also work with summon as the primary power, but that one feels like it could get cumbersome.

Whichever way you slice it the build will have a fair number of moving parts.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

EpicEclipse wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:52 am Ultimately I'm good with whatever so long as everyone is on the same page. :)
A full service smart phone that can't be readily tracked back to your secret I.D. or hacked without a high degree of difficulty is 1pp/5ep's. I realize this doesn't necessarily track with modern technological breakthroughs, but you're not going to be limited by commercial networks or easily located by pinging cell towers or the like. It also allows for "in the field" use of certain advantages that might otherwise be unavailable in some circumstances (such as certain Benefit advantages or Contacts or Connected or even some skill usage). Obviously, in locations where there are no cell networks (e.g. the arctic or space) the communication dependent functions of the phone are unavailable.

I'm not going to get caught up in a debate over whether something is "real world" accurate, because if we were concerned with real world accuracy, we wouldn't be playing a game where people can lift unimaginable tonnages, run at thousands of kph, etc. I'm more focused on everything running within the structure and spirit of the rules. If anyone has a huge problem with that, I'd politely make your exit now or eventually there will be a confrontation with me that will see your exit be far less polite.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

No one said anything about real world. Just more modern than the flip phones that were state-of-the-art when the game was written.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Cool. I think I have 1ep left so I can feed that to make Darklite's phone all set.