[OOC...MnM 3e] Civitas Crew (Fully staffed)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Horsenhero

[OOC...MnM 3e] Civitas Crew (Fully staffed)

Post by Horsenhero »

Okay...So awhile ago, I left the board in order to focus more on putting out comics. Ironically, giving up gaming to give myself more comic time has actually resulted in a creative drought. That being the case, I figure I should run at least one game to help "grease the wheels" as it were. That being the case, I'm pitching one game. Nothing from the game will relate directly to my comic production, but it will help me work on ideas.

Elevator Pitch MM3e PL 10 Freedom City Earth Prime Setting 6 PC's

UNISON, the United Nations Super-human Oversight Network has stepped into the arena of fielding its own super-hero team. Setting up in Freedom City, they've leased the Scarab's Lair underneath Pyramid Plaza from Sophia Cruz to base their team from. The team is a squad of supers working under the direction of UNISON's UNIQUE (United Nations International Quorum of Unaligned Exceptionals) division. Due to ongoing friction with the U.S. government, UNISON takes great care to hide this connection from outsiders. Except for the potential for interference by the U.N. the team behaves like any other traditional super-team.

Personal Preferences: I am a traditionalist myself when it comes to character creation and a believer in niche protection to a reasonable extent. That being said, characters whose power sets conform to more or less traditional archetypes always get preference over more eclectic sorts when I cast. I dislike Munchkin style characters and will give characters who're more balanced preference. This isn't D&D, the point isn't to simply obliterate the enemy and steal their gold. Comics are half soap opera and characters who have "life skills" that indicate interests beyond the comic equivalent of dungeon crawling get preferential treatment from me. Don't be a jerk. Players who play "loners who have conflicts with other heroes" annoy me. That works in the comics because a single creative mind has control over every character reaction. RPG's operate differently. Your fellow players aren't required to tolerate a PC behaving like a dick and neither am I. I WILL put boot to ass if a player is too disruptive too often.

So that's it...any interested parties? (Please don't pitch characters yet. Let me determine if there's enough interest first.)
Last edited by Horsenhero on Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
EpicEclipse

Re: [OOC] Civitas Crew (Interest check)

Post by EpicEclipse »

I'm interested. This sounds like a good stage for a character I've had collecting dust for a while if you go forward to recruiting.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

I am potentially interested. I am in the middle of new job craziness right now, so it may be a week or so before I am able to put anything together though.
Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask »

I'm interested.
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

I'd be interested in something set in the Freedom-verse, some four-color heroics are always fun!
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Came up dry trying to pitch for another game, but yours are always fun.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

I think it might be fun to play a group of heroes just coming into their own, maybe even Claremont graduates or something along those lines. A UNISON attache would be interesting, and give the group of heroes a connection to the politics of heroing and murky government objectives.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Adding my hat to the ring. I love creating four color characters, though I'm unsure how niche protection works in comics. Comics have had many teams with multiple energy projectors or multiple powerhouses. The ability of the characters doesn't matter as much as their interactions do.
Shock

Post by Shock »

I'm always interested in your pitches, HH. Nice to see you still kicking around
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

jmucchiello wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:31 am Adding my hat to the ring. I love creating four color characters, though I'm unsure how niche protection works in comics. Comics have had many teams with multiple energy projectors or multiple powerhouses. The ability of the characters doesn't matter as much as their interactions do.
Well, the game is just about the game and has nothing really to do with comics, except I've found GMing helps me keep creative while working on my comics. (I have a teeny tiny comic company).

As for niche protection, like I mentioned, I'm reasonable about it. A fire energy controller and an ice energy controller are likely to have powers that manifest differently, so nobody has to deal with being the "number 2 guy" in their niche. As long as there's enough difference between characters, I'm not against repeat archetypes...however, two powerhouses are likely to be redundant OR they're going to get caught up in a munchkin type "power up" contest as each player strives to be the top dog in that niche. It's possible they could co-exist if there's enough difference, but unlikely, so I generally just choose a single pitch from a given archetype. For RPG purposes, the X-Men model from Giant Size X-Men #1 works better than the Justice League or Avengers model.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Okay, now that I've taken care of business the last couple days (including a funeral...blah), let's get to the business of recruiting.

Remember...PL 10, a maximum of 6 PC's will be chosen (though I reserve the right to cast fewer). Bronze Age feel for the campaign.

Pitch whenever you're ready!
Shadowmask

Re: [OOC...MnM 3e] Civitas Crew (Recruiting until 1/23- 5 days)

Post by Shadowmask »

Neutron
Alias: LP.
Profession: Former handyman turned full time superhero.
Ethnicity: African American.
Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 190 lbs.
Hair: Black (almost always shaved bald).
Eyes: Black.
Place Of Birth: Freedom City, USA.
Religion: Baptist.
Identity: Public.
Group Affiliation: Formerly Independent. Currently a member of UNIQUE (United Nations International Quorum of Unaligned Exceptionals).
Base Of Operations: Freedom City.
Legal Status: American citizen with no criminal record.
Marital Status: Divorced.
Family: Walter (father, deceased), Glenda (mother, deceased), Devin (son), Tanya (ex-wife).
Education: High School Graduate.
Quote: "It's time to be a hero!"
Power Level - 10
Power Points - 150
Hero Point - 1
Concept - Energy Controller.
Bodycast - Israel Idonije.
Celebrity Voiceover - Michael Dorn.
Theme Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlwIBftrvIA

Abilities -

Strength - 3
Stamina - 3
Agility - 3
Dexterity - 0
Fighting - 3
Intellect - 0
Awareness - 2
Presence - 3

Advantages - All-out Attack, Benefit 1 (Status - As a publicly known superhero), Defensive Attack, Evasion 2, Favored Environment (Airborne), Instant Up, Interpose, Precise Attack 1 (Ranged, Cover), Teamwork.

Skills - Ranged Combat: Energy Control (Plasma) 5 (+0), Expertise - Current Events 6 (+0), Intimidation 7 (+10), Acrobatics 4 (+7), Athletics 4 (+7), Insight 4 (+6), Persuasion 4 (+7).

Powers - Note - All powers have the Plasma Descriptor.

Energy Control (Plasma) Array (25 points) with 3 Alternate Effects. =

Base power - Pinpoint Blast - Ranged Damage (Plasma) 12, Extra - Precise. (25 pp)

Alternate Effect - Energy Manipulation - Deflect 12, Extras - Reflect, Redirect. Flaw - Limited to energy attacks. (1 pp)

Alternate Effect - Neutrino Energy Burst - Burst Area Damage (Plasma) 10, Extra - Penetrating 4. (1 pp)

Alternate Effect - Dazzle - Ranged Affliction 12, (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; Impaired, Disabled, Unaware), Extra - Cumulative, Flaw - Limited to one sense (vision). (1 pp)

Energy Immunity - Immunity 5 (Plasma damage). (5 pp)

Plasma Force Field - Protection 10, Extra - Sustained. (10 pp)

Energy Sense - Senses (Mental) 1 (Energy Type Awareness). (1 pp)

Plasma Energy Form - Insubstantial 3 (Plasma), Flaw - Activation (Move Action). (14 pp)

Flight 7 (250 mph, 2640 ft/Rd.). (14 pp)

Offense - Initiative +3, Energy Control +5, Unarmed +3, Grab +3, Ranged Damage 12, Burst Area Damage 10, Dazzle 12 (Resistance Check = Fort. vs 22), Close Damage 3.

Defense - Dodge +4/7, Parry +2/5, Fortitude +5/8, Toughness +3/*13, Will +6/8

* - Only when Plasma Force Field is activated.

Complications -

Motivation (Responsibility) = Neutron is quite aware of the potential collateral damage his powers can cause and so must control himself during combats. He also tries to be as heroic as possible, hoping to set a good example for the people of America.

Motivation (Acceptance) = Despite his fame and good deeds, Neutron is regarded as a "sell out" by many if not most of the people in the West End area in Freedom City, his hometown. Thus he seeks to gain their respect.

Fame = Neutron's "secret" identity as Lloyd E. Price is well known across the country and thus must deal with the pressures and problems that fame often brings.

Relationships = Several people define Lloyd's life for better or worse -

Tanya Cooper (ex-wife), Devin (8 year old son). Though divorced and rarely sees his son, Neutron still looks after their best interests.

Corrina Cadeau ( His agent. See history below.).

Reverend Darren Morris ( His pastor in the Holy Divinity Church back home in The West End. Neutron counts him as a close friend and adviser although he does not go to the church as often as he would have liked, not wanting to bring trouble to the church such as supervillains seeking vengeance or pesky paparazzi.)

Enemy = Blackstar (from the Cosmic Handbook pages 101-104). He and Neutron had clashed several times and are bitter foes. Blackstar had made the enmity between them even worse by publicly threatening to kill Neutron's son.

Powers -

Neutron can create, shape and manipulate plasma, a state of matter consisting of highly ionized and super heated white gaseous-like energy of low density. He uses the plasma for various effects such as creating an energy blast similar to heat lasers or to release the blast over a wider area, a glowing plasma force field around his body and intensely bright bursts of light.

Neutron can also transform his entire body into pure plasma energy and can even manipulate other forms of energy by channeling and altering its direction. This type of energy manipulation also allows him to fly.

Neutron can resist plasma energy damage including his own and has a kind of "sixth sense" for detecting types of energy nearby.

Neutron in his plasma energy form:

History -

Lloyd Price never seemed to have all the lucky breaks after high school especially living in The West End neighborhood of Freedom City despite a promising career in football. But the talent scouts who sometimes attended the high school football games never bothered with Lloyd. Not affording a college education was one strike against him while holding down menial jobs to barely make ends meet was another. Facing a bitter (and costly) divorce and child custody battle, Lloyd swallowed his pride and took a shady job with no questions asked for a equally shady company called PureTek.

Lloyd was supposed to transport some containers of toxic waste to an illegal dump site. He was led to believe by his employers that it was somewhere at sea, far off the coast of Freedom City. But when he found out the site was actually located at Hawkins Lawn, a public park right near the Trinity Hospital in West End, he outright refused to continue and go along with the whole damn thing and threatened to go to the police...

...And almost got his body riddled with bullets for his noble though rash defiance as he quickly jumped out of the way. There was an sudden explosion, some glowing goo from the ruptured steel drum canisters, intense white-hot energy...then screams as Lloyd suddenly hovered in mid air and then flew straight at the gunmen in rage, his body glowing with the same intense white energies.

To this day, no one not even Lloyd knew how he gained superpowers (was it because of the radiation of the toxic waste, latent mutant genes or something else entirely?) but he knew after talking to his pastor he was given them for a reason. He helped the FBI and the city's district attorney turned states evidence against PureTek and shut down their illegal operations.

Shortly afterwards Lloyd made his first public appearance as Neutron (He had chosen the name at the last minute, based on his misunderstanding on how energy physics actually worked.) when he saved several people from the deadly Blackstar who nearly caused an downtown office building to collapse on them while attempting to steal a prototype portable energy cell. They fought each other to a standstill before Blackstar fled the area when AEGIS agents showed up in force.

One of the civilians he had saved was an aspiring fashion designer/advertising consultant named Corrina Cadeau who in gratitude created a new black and white costume for Neutron to replace the drab hooded leather duster and khakis ensemble he was wearing during the fight with Blackstar.

She also made him her first client for her new PR company, CC Promotions, promoting and licensing his name and image for endorsements such as his own comic book series in Castle Comics and the Neutronix Wheat Pops™ breakfast cereal and Neutron Energy Drink™ from the Fordham Foods company.

Of course most of the money he makes goes to various charities throughout the country and to his family while saving just enough to support himself.

While Lloyd was not entirely comfortable with all of this somewhat shameless media exposure and knows that other superheroes would (perhaps rightly) accuse him of being a corporate shill, he reluctantly realized that given the present day and age of constant web blogs, one needed all the good press one can get.

Personality -

Even though he has fame and fortune, Neutron remains at heart a stoic and level headed hero and so far resisted the lure of materialism which killed the minds and souls of other commercially endorsed superheroes a dollar at a time. Neutron can come across as an old fashioned stick in the mud, a throwback to the days where having superpowers meant responsibility not entitlement but that's how Neutron rolls. He doesn't agree with everything he is made to do for the sake of publicity but he has enough dignity to turn down offers if they even remotely had a hint of illegality.

Behind closed doors however, he lives a life of lonely solitude. Neutron knows that any woman interested in him just wants his money (most of which he gives away to charity.) and hoping that fame would rub off them so he keeps his distance. He doesn't know what to make of all this. From out of abject poverty, he has become one of the most recognized superhumans in the country, a role model for thousands of kids. People who wouldn't given him the spare change from their pockets now envy him. He can go anywhere, do anything. For once he can look down on the world and everyone else is looking up.

But he found that fame was a unbearable prison and because he is often hounded by adoring fans, sleazy managers wanting him to sign on the dotted lines of numerous contracts and supervillains looking to make their mark on history by fighting or killing Neutron, he sometimes wishes he was a nobody.

But as long as the world needs him, then he'll be ready as ever even if it means posing for autographed selfies.

Abilities - 34, Powers - 72, Advantages - 10, Skills - 17, Defenses - 17, = 150 total.

Notes: For those who wonder what Neutron's glowing symbol on his chest looks like:

EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I'm still without internet at home, but I should be able to get something up in time.

The character I am pitching is a meta human whose had the miraculous power to grant a single wish. Not knowing she had this power, she wished for powers to protect people, and thus she got superpowers, and realizing she blew this one wish, has dedicated herself to being a superhero.

Problem is, as she was younger, the powers manifested as something more suitable for a girl her age at the time, concussive energy blasts that look like rainbow colored light. As she came into adulthood, she found these powers to be a but more... Not her look. Still wanting to keep her promise to be a hero, she trained in martial arts and still has her powers, but religates them to "plan b".

Mechanically, she's part energy blaster, part costumed adventurer. Think one part Batman, one part Black Canary.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

I feel compelled to wish Shadowmask luck. Someday will be Lloyd's day to shine. :)
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Going to dust off an old concept I thought might be fun.

The Thunderer - PL 10

Strength 12, Stamina 12, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 8, Intellect 0, Awareness 2, Presence 4

Advantages
Attractive 2, Fascinate (Persuasion), Fearless, Interpose, Ranged Attack 8, Takedown

Skills
Expertise (PRE): Storytelling 1 (+5), Insight 2 (+4), Intimidation 2 (+6), Perception 4 (+6), Persuasion 4 (+8), Ranged Combat: Lightning Bolt: Damage 10 2 (+2)

Powers
Divine Nature (Advantages: Attractive 2)
. . Immunity: Immunity 11 (Linked; Aging, Life Support)
. . Regeneration: Regeneration 2 (Linked; Every 5 rounds)
Lightning Bolt: Damage 10 ([0 active, 0/20 PP, 2/r], DC 25; Increased Range: ranged) [Dynamic Array]
. . Summon Storms: Environment 10 (Alternate; [0 active, 0/20 PP, 1/2r], Radius: 2 miles)
. . Wind Rider: Flight 10 (Alternate; [0 active, 0/20 PP, 2/r], Speed: 2000 miles/hour, 4 miles/round)

Offense
Initiative +0
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 22)
Lightning Bolt: Damage 10, +10 (DC 25)
Throw, +8 (DC 27)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 27)

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 12, Toughness 12, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 76 + Powers 40 + Advantages 12 + Skills 8 (15 ranks) + Defenses 14 = 150

The Thunderer, the Baron of Battle, The Son of Storms.
When he first appeared he was less a superhero and more of an oddity. Showing up uninvited to parties, helping himself to food and drink provided, and spending his time entertaining the guests.
He claimed to be a god of Storms, come to this world to protect it from the evil beasts of his home dimension that had escaped into this world. And why shouldn't he have a good time between jobs?
Soon enough super villains started appearing, and the Thunderer slowly started making appearances to put an end to their deeds. Slowly at first. Then more frequently, until near the end he was frequently if he wasn't one of the first to appear at the scene of a fight he most likely arrived before it ended.
In spite of this growing battle thirst his persona never really changed, and when not in a fight, or inviting himself to a party, he could be found partaking in any form of amusement or adventure he could find from tourist traps and carnivals, to sky diving and rock climbing (though he admitted being able to fly took a lot of the amusement out of those, the new friends he met easily made up for it).

Rarely one to talk too much on his own personal history, preferring to tell other people's stories, or tales of his most recent adventures. He has admitted that he's on a mission to create and leave behind a saga of his adventures, deeds, and glories achieved before his time on this world is over.

With no solid evidence to point to a number of theories have arisen about his origin.
One is that he is telling the truth, and he is actually a deity from another dimension. Most think this is unlikely.
Another is that he's just a super who is play acting the persona.
There is also theory that The Thunderer might have been a patient at a long term care facility. The facility took care of coma patients and people suffering from locked in syndrome, and was destroyed along with a number of other buildings during a random terrorist attack in a sudden and unprovoked attack on the city. The theory goes that the patients were used as test subjects for inducing super powers, and that their awakening was the true source of the "terrorist attack" that destroyed these sites. And possibly creating many of the beasts and villains that the Thunderer is hunting.

Complications:
Thrill Seeker - If it sounds like a exciting event, the Thunderer will be interested in trying it out. Though, if it is at all dangerous, he prefers events that won't put others at risk.
Easily Bored/Easily Distracted - Probably not the best choice for studying, guard duty, or stakeouts. Or anything that involves staying on task around beautiful women.
Errantry - He is a god on a quest. Multiple quests. Any quest will do. As long as it's noble and exciting, and will leave a great story.
The Saga - His end goal is to leave a remembered tale of his adventures, good deeds, and endeavors. Preferably these stories would include him in the presence of other great heroes.
The Children's Champion - The Thunderer has a soft spot for kids, and tends to be easily wound around their little fingers. Anything that helps or protects children usually takes precedence.

Description:
Tall, an incredibly muscular athletic build (think Bruce Lee), blue eyes, long flowing golden blonde hair that falls nearly to his waist. He is somewhat notorious for wandering around in nothing but a pair of pants with a thick leather belt and an elaborate belt buckle. He's been inclined to change this up, sometimes wearing armor of a Norse styling, and showing an interest in gold pendants and necklaces, though usually these don't last very long as they're not nearly as resilient as he is.
His newest and longest lasting affectation is a predilection towards wearing bracers. The larger and more elaborate the better, but he's just as fond of plain leather when nothing else is around.
Few have survived more than a couple days, rarely more than one knock down fight with a supervillain.

Personality: Rather laid back, The Thunderer is looking for a good time, and would rather allow himself to be chased off by even unpowered people than get into a fight that isn't fair or noble. He faces his day to day life with an optimistic outlook, trying to find the good in any situation. Tends to be social and, aside for an hour or so at sunrise, prefers to spend much of his time in the company of others.
He seems to find a simple joy in most aspects of life, and would rather couch surf and wander the world than work in an office environment. In fact one of the few things that can drain the joy out of him is long term boredom without a goal in sight.