[OOC] MnM 3e - Hunter the Reckoning

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Sakuro

Re: [OOC] MnM 3e - Hunter the Reckoning [Recruiting 1]

Post by Sakuro »

I am going to wait for Angela to get a response in before I post an IC reply.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

No prob. I think you should let Alan respond first but the guards might react as well.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

I'm tempted to pitch a character for this game, but I'll need to think on it. Don't usually go in for below pl 6, but the story prospects of the premise could be fun.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

I'm not sure what to post. Angela will try to get Alan back to his room. But I don't want write something that doesn't work.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Thank you for voicing interest MrDent. Feel free to talk to jmucchiello and Doctor Malsyn if you need input from them. Even if it is for something like getting the vibe of the game or brainstorming. In some instances the PL cap will be broken. Such as with Powers and Equipment. For example your PL 5 character can still use a Damage 10 rocket launcher, if they somehow manage to get their hands on one. Using a rocket launcher would also draw some serious attention to your character from the authorities.

Jmucchiello, the guards have called out to Angela, trying to get her to stop and come with them. Angela is going to ignore this, and try to evade the guards correct? Write up how she is going to attempt to do that. Is she going to straight up run? Is she going to try to weave in and out of rooms or disguise herself and Alan somehow? Write what Angela attempts to do and how she tries to accomplish her goal of getting Alan to his room. So right now, if Angela's plan is to round the corner then run ... write that and make an Athletics check. I'll tell you how well she does and how the NPCs and environment react to her efforts.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

I always go through many iterations in my head, so alot of the below might change.

My current thought is a translator and language polyglot who can speak five languages fluently plus studied linguistics. He is a true citizen of the world who spent more time in Brazil because of a girl that wanted to settle down and start a family after a few years. He didn't, so they split. After the split, he took up work in various places around the globe until coming back to Oregon to help out his aging grandpa that raised him.

Before college, he was the son of a diplomatic attached, but his parents died when he was 10. After that his grand parents raised him in Oregon helping to pay for his schooling in linguistics plus alot of study abroad.

I'm still working out some details of his sheet, but in general he'll have translator type skills as anyone in his profession might. On top of that, he would be more agile and intuitive. So he's not completely useless in a fight, he would have learned caporiera to impress the girl in Brazil. Nothing at the level of a professional, but enough to hold his own in a fight.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Not being able to see the corridor she is in, I have no idea what she does. I am a very visual person. If you just say "hospital corridor" I will invent what I think it looks like and when that doesn't match what you think it looks like we will go off the rails. What floor is Alan's room on? How far is that room from the nearest corner?

I will proceed. But if we need to rewind, don't say I didn't anticipate that.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Mrdent12, did you read the background on the existing characters? Knowledge and language is kind of Alan's (Dr. Malsyn's) bailiwick.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I wouldn't say it's a speciality, he's only really versed in Latin. Forensics, chemistry, and biology are his shtick.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Alans skill set was science knowledge, investigation, and the language was Latin. Expertises I am looking at are linguistics, writing, current events, and the like a translator would need to know for a proper translation. Languages wise, they would Portuguese, Japanese, English, and I haven't settled on the other two. Probably Arabic and French. The reasoning being they are more business languages or tie into his background.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

jmucchiello wrote:Not being able to see the corridor she is in, I have no idea what she does.

What floor is Alan's room on? How far is that room from the nearest corner?
Alan's room is on the second floor of the hospital. The same floor as Hugo's room. Alan's, however, is on the opposite side of the building. Angela has a fair distance to go. More than a hundred and twenty feet.

Angela hasn't taken the time to study the second floor's layout and so details about it will be lost to her until she interacts with them. However, she is aware that there is a perimeter of window rooms, then a hallway mirroring that square shaped perimeter. There is also a cross shaped intersection running down the middle of the floor breaking it up into four sections. Angela and Alan are on the South side of the building, near a T shaped intersection leading North, which is about halfway down the hall. She can move around the corner and begin heading down that middle hallway going from South to North as a round's worth of actions, if she wants to quickly cut across to the opposite side of the building.

I am not going to give out exact measurements and distances. There is no tactical map. This is not a tactical encounter where you have to be ultra precise with your movements. What is going to happen is, if you're trying to out run the guards, you will make an Athletics check then I'll make a check for the guards. The results will dictate whether the guards catch up or Angela out distances them (If the guards win, they catch Agela. If it is a tie Angela maintains her current distance. If she beats the guards with your present plan she'll be able to duck into a room without them knowing which room. Though they'll see the hallway she went down.). Angela knows the way back to Alan's room. It is a couple turns and straight lines. We don't need to go into excessive detail about what route she takes, unless Angela intends to do something tricky. If she does want to do something more than run down the hallway, let me know what you would like to do and I'll fill in details relevant to that.

If you want details about your environment, you can give me an in character que by describing your character inspecting the scene and how they go about looking for the information they are after. In such situations a Perception check may be warranted if you're under pressure or you're looking for something that might not be obvious. After Angela drops off Alan, she may want to look for an exit other than the elevator. That would be a good time to actively have your character look around and make a Perception check.

If you want to edit your current post, you may. Presently it seems like Angela is playing dumb, as though she did not hear the guards. Is she going to run to try to outpace the guards or will she let them catch up to her? That's what I want to know right now. Because they are presently moving at a jog, and will catch up to her before she reaches Alan's room if Angela limits herself to fast-walking. If she speeds up they will likewise speed up to try to catch her. It will also be obvious that she is trying to get away.
MrDent wrote:My current thought is a translator and language polyglot who can speak five languages fluently plus studied linguistics.

...in general he'll have translator type skills as anyone in his profession might. On top of that, he would be more agile and intuitive.

Expertises I am looking at are linguistics, writing, current events, and the like a translator would need to know for a proper translation. Languages wise, they would Portuguese, Japanese, English, and I haven't settled on the other two. Probably Arabic and French.
Sounds like someone that could compliment Alan's skills and a person who could back up Angela if things come to a fight. For languages, have you considered Spanish? It is fairly common in the US.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Spanish is one I was thinking on as well. Aside from English, Portugesse, and Japanese the other two are up in the air as they'll be languages he used to better his translation work.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I might reccomend if Sakuro would allow an expertise: Linguistics skill, to act in place of ones you might not know fluently but could have a grasp of. Or if we on the off chance need to translate an old tome written in a dead language.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

I would be good with MrDent's character having Expertise: Linguistics, and using it as you suggest.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

I put that in my post.

linguistics, writing, current events, and the like

His main thing of why he's good with languages is that he combines his ability to read a situation and learning several languages when younger by virtue of his dad being a diplomat in various countries. Also, his family will be varied as well with his grandpa being from Brazil, mum from Japan, and the like.