[OOC] MnM 3e - Hunter the Reckoning

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Sakuro

Re: [OOC] MnM 3e - Hunter the Reckoning

Post by Sakuro »

Hunters often have to leave their old lives behind, sooner or later. You three are heading in the sooner direction.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

I'm not sure I'm comfortable playing Blane in the situation he's about to face given the current situation in the world. I, myself, am not Caucasian, but neither do I share the trials and prejudices that Blane would have over his lifetime (my complexion earns me extra TSA attention and distrustful glances in air travel). My partner, though, is African-American and I've had long conversations with them on this subject and I come away each time with the knowledge that I could not possibly do justice to the harsh conditions Blane and those like him have to deal with on a daily basis.
So, I don't think I can play Blane and give the respect due to the seriousness of the situations that African-Americans face in America daily.
Also, and this may be my own cowardess talking, I role-play to get relief from the issues that I see on the news and to de-stress from the turmoil in the world; while I understand and respect that Sakuro wants to shine a light on these things in their games, as far as leisure activities go, being Blane, about to face all the assumptions he's about to face that are exacerbated by the underlying racial perceptions of this world, this is not how I'd like to spend my relaxation time.
Its no one's fault. These characters and world were set long before the death of George Floyd. But I don't feel respectful or comfortable playing them after it.

I'm sorry.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

It's been maybe three days for our characters and everything that could go wrong seemingly has gone wrong, for one reason or another. The amount of hero points Alan has accumulated seems kind've a testament to the general shitiness of our recent situation in game.

The situation Blane ended up in is definitely a little messed up, even taking all that other real world stuff into account. Why did that even happen? Possession maybe? I can't imagine anyone eillingly smashing their own face in just to implicate some random guy for kicks.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

You don't need to apologize Flynnarrel. If racism is something you want to avoid in the game, I will make an effort to steer things away from that. Though people being awful to one another, in general, will still happen. Given your feelings about playing a black person reminding you of real world events that cause you anxiety, would you like to make a new character? Or is the story itself stressing you out to the point it is unfun?

Yes, Doctor Malsyn, there is a lot of crud that the PCs have went through. You are effectively stumbling in the dark trying to figure things out, deal with the supernatural, and trying to maintain some sense or normalcy that you can never achieve.
Last edited by Sakuro on Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Sakuro wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:23 pm You don't need to apologize Flynnarrel. If racism is something you want to avoid in the game, I will make an effort to steer things away from that. Though people being awful to one another, in general, will still happen. Given your feelings about playing a black person reminding you of real world events that cause you anxiety, would you like to make a new character? Or is the story itself stressing you out to the point it is unfun?
I think the latter, and that's my fault, I'd let it build up too much in my mind. I should have said something sooner, the current situation just brought it to a head.

I'm going to bow out as I know how unintentionally disruptive I can be. You might want to open up recruiting again.

Again, I'm sorry.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Flynnarrel, letting us know that racism is something you aren't comfortable with in game, was the right thing to do. It isn't cowardly to express that. It would have been good to mention it right away. You don't need to try to tough things out. If you'd like to rejoin the game later, after the bad feelings have left, let me know.

In case I haven't said it already: Though this game takes place in a dark setting and may have things in it that you wouldn't see in a game with a lighter tone, we're still here to have fun. Don't be afraid to speak up if something in the game makes you uncomfortable. You don't have to explain yourself if you don't want to. Just say you aren't OK with a certain topic. If you don't want to voice it publicly, you can message me privately. We can rewind a scene and recon things if needed.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

My only problem with the story so far is there hasn't been any normality whatsoever. I don't have a feel for what Angela is losing because it's never existed. Huey walked out on her day 1 and had little sympathy when he was around.

The current situation has her in a terrible fight or flight panic right now. If she knew what happened to Blane she would immediately run. But if she goes on the run she loses all connection to Alan. That might be metagame thinking but it's there.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

I get that. There was really only one scene for each of you that was "normal" interacting with your partners. It is worth bearing in mind context, and passage of time though.

This is day three. Night one Angela kicked Huey's teeth out. Day two, Huey said 'I need some space'. From his perspective, Huey had his face kicked in by his girlfriend who was having night terrors after she killed a bunch of people. He needed some space and felt Angela needed it too. He hasn't even been away 24 hours at this point. I wanted to do a time skip so the Huey situation could cool down, and he could come home with Angela and Huey having had time to get their heads on straighter. But the PCs had things they wanted to do. That said, bear in mind that NPCs will never be a source of real support and succor. You'll have to turn to your fellow PCs for that.

My initial plan was to have a sense of normalcy that was quickly eroding over a month or so. Short scenes of normal between the unfolding interactions with supernatural events that pull you further and further away from the mundane, so you could feel things falling apart. Your actions are dictating the pace of the game, however. The PCs have gone into things back to back fairly quickly, at their own initiative. Choosing to fight a spirit creature in a comatose boy's hospital room is a choice that has repercussions too.

If Angela runs she can try to take Alan with her. She can also try to contact him again later if she ditches him. Leaving Alan behind means he has to deal with whatever happens on his own. That could be dealing with angry ghosts or it could mean the legal ramifications of what has gone down. Possibly both. Neither character knows what is happening with Blane.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I recommend ditching him, honestly, and letting Alan trying to try and smooth things over. Maybe burn a hero point for an inevitable persuasion/deception check. Correct her story to something less bizarre and more rooted in truth (which is why I wished you went with the crazy person doing crazy things aspect, that would at least have been partly truthful).

Also, consequences be damned, I think I might end up having him drink that weird healing potion that was given to him earlier. Being stuck in the wheelchair as well as the hospital isn't exactly thrilling, though I will give you some credit for developing a story centered around the hospital.

If you're opening up recruitment or simply want to invite someone you know, asking for a character with initial ties to the hospital setting might be appropriate. A nurse who experienced the Calling while noticing the banshee, a janitor who was in the wrong place at the wrong time, a security officer assigned to the ward, a patient who realizes they're not as safe as they thought, someone visiting a person they know who's hospitalized here... Something along those lines to better slot in, with Flynn taking his leave.
------------
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

The players have done an odd mix of trying to paint within the lines (following rules, respecting authority, etc.) and unusual or drastic actions. I expected orderlys or nurses to get bribed. Sneaking around at night when it wasn't very active. Things like that. But you went with a prayer session outside Hugo's room then attacked the spirit in the middle of the day.

The suggestion about a character with ties to the hospital is a good one. I won't force it on someone, but it can be shared with a prospective player. As long as neither of you are opposed to having another player, I'll open up recruiting tomorrow. If either of you know someone who may be interested in the game, feel free to extend an invitation to them.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Alan is a very by the books sort've person. He didn't like 'rocking the boat' by doing questionably legal things, especially as a member of the precinct and being engaged to an officer. He's tried his best to do things 'normally' in ways that wouldn't draw undue attention, but evidently that hasn't worked out for him.
------------
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Yeah, all three of us are very straight-laced. Angela would NEVER think of bribing someone. I don't think any of the characters (other than the long lost Dirk) would work outside the law on purpose. Same with sneaking around at night? Angela goes to bed at 9:30 every day. I'm sure Blane and Alan are early risers.

Finally, Angela can't see a creature assaulting a young boy and think, "I'll come back at night and deal with this." There is no way you thought that would happen.
Doctor Malsyn wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:47 am I recommend ditching him, honestly, and letting Alan trying to try and smooth things over. Maybe burn a hero point for an inevitable persuasion/deception check. Correct her story to something less bizarre and more rooted in truth (which is why I wished you went with the crazy person doing crazy things aspect, that would at least have been partly truthful).
I believe it was suggested after I had already posted. It was too late to fix her story. And I still don't think it was that implausible to anyone walking into the room and seeing the damage in a big circle. But that doesn't matter now.
Sakuro

Re: [OOC] MnM 3e - Hunter the Reckoning [Recruiting 1]

Post by Sakuro »

Being straight laced is fine. But as players, don't expect that "playing by the rules" will prevent your characters from avoiding difficulties. There are pros and cons. You go outside the law and you risk the authorities coming after you in some fashion. You stick to socially acceptable behavior and you deny yourselves opportunities or advantages. It is alright for your character's stance on the topic to evolve over time as well.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Yes, but the characters have spent a lifetime by the book. It's only been a couple days that the world changed. There's no way they would suddenly start ignoring authority at this point.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Alan is a smart fellow, he's quickly figuring out that whatever they're trying to do just isn't working for them as is. After this mess is at least simmered down somewhat, I think he'll probably start asking for Angela and himself to lean further into the shadows if they wanted to root out and uncover the darkness.
------------