(The Merge) Gargoyles: Defenders of the Night - (Hiatus)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Bladewind

(The Merge) Gargoyles: Defenders of the Night - (Hiatus)

Post by Bladewind »

With isolation and all the craziness outside, I was looking to see if there would be an interest in a Disney Gargoyles-esque game...

This game is now recruiting. I will put an end date depending on how things build.

:arrow: This game is intended to be self contained. Although a part of the Merged Earth, it’s not meant to overlap or contain as many continuities as some of my other ideas...
:arrow: A group of Gargoyles from a formerly prominent clan appear in Post Merge. (In fact, I'm thinking that for whatever reason, even though the Merge happened 5 years ago, you are just Awakening now... maybe a curse like that of the original five, but a planetary alignment and clock striking at a specific time... The curse and its lifting is something that can be discussed. My vision is that you are part of the Manhattan Clan perhaps 30 years later, so either 2nd or third generation.)
:arrow: This will be a Street Level Game. PL 8/120 PP (no PL adjustment). Skills 3:1, Each level of Presence grants a social based advantage.
:arrow: A free HQ will be provided, but it will be barebones: upgrades will need to be paid for... I'm thinking a clocktower or something similar... (Had an idea that is a little darker than originally intended, but... clocktower or something similar, but the condition that breaks whatever spell is on you was that one of your number dies... so you awoke to a grafiti filled loft style area, and the remains of a smashed gargoyle... no intention to make this a plot point as you would have no leads....)
:arrow: I discovered a WoD based Gargoyles RPG online and really liked some of the merits and flaws - which translate into fairly obvious flaws or powers in MnM.
:arrow: The mechanic for turning to stone by day will be largely glossed over. In the above mentioned RPG, there are a couple of rituals that allow the Gargoyles to go unnoticed during the day or give them knowledge of what transpired around them…(The exact mechanics are left to the player and cost appropriate PP.)
:arrow: And while the concept of no names interesting, I don't really think it works for a game/ story. I would encourage a common theme - angels, rivers, landmarks... just please, for the love of all things, not Tallahassee, Little Rock, Wichita and Columbus.... :lol:

Any takers/ interest ?

My hope is that with more time on my hands and a smaller scale - no plans to leave the city... - that I will have more success... in other words, keeping it simple (which is a switch for me, lol)
Character Creation
This will be a Street Level Game. PL 8/120 PP (no PL adjustment). Skills 3:1,
Each level of Presence grants a social based advantage.

:arrow: All characters must take 2-3 ranks of Flight, with the flaw Wings. (Characters should not have more than 4 ranks of Flight.)
:arrow: all characters have claw damage, usually strength based. If you don't take ranks in claw damage, you automatically have the descriptor of slashing added to your unarmed damage for free. You are free to enhance this ability at your discretion - improved crit and the like.
:arrow: Gargoyles have tails that helps with their balance. This can be simple descriptor or an extra limb or simply a tail lash attack/ affliction to knock opponents down.
:arrow: Gargoyles can climb walls. Limited to materials less than their claw damage in the show, I am willing to change that to descriptor here as I don't want bricks and mortar raining down on the streets...
:arrow: Leaping at 2 ranks is also common.
:arrow: Climbing, Flight, Leaping can all be Alt Powers of each other
:arrow: I have not "bothered" to mention it, but Gargoyles age slower than humans - at the rate of 1 year to 2 human years and the effects of aging are greatly reduced either way. There is no need to use PP for this feature.

:arrow: Characters are encouraged to make their Gargoyles a little more unique than the show in keeping with a Supers based game… Perhaps one is superfast, another might have arcane abilities, or divine abilities... (a technomancer might also be interesting).... So teleport for instance should be personal and limited to a four or five ranks and not have extended. Superspeed can be a little higher but account for the drag of your wings..
:arrow:
Bladewind wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:17 pm Setting... Don’t worry too much about that. Using Montreal as my mental map, but the city is less important than the story.

Clan... Decision was made to be from Avalon, tying the characters to the Wyvern Clan and thus the Manhattan Clan. Nothing stops you from determining that your character is of the “Lexington” or “Brooklyn” type if you want to have distinctive traits.

Origin... apart from topics also touched on above, these characters were a part of the modern world on their world. I envision the Merge fir them as being cursed (as noted the details can be worked out) and they awakened on the Merged Earth. If needed, I’ll include a human ally that brought you up to speed on whats going on. The Merge happened five years ago, and you awoke about a week ago. The idea is you are still getting used to your new home, but have “accepted” that there is no way home and that you have no way of knowing if there are other gargoyles out there yet. For now, your new home is your castle and you are defending it while you get dragged into defending the neighborhood...
Powers... the biggest deviation from the series. Powers, beyond claws (Gargoyles also have wall-crawling limited to structures that can suport their weight and toughness less than their claw damage), gliding and maybe some night vision, are not required. I introduced the idea to help distinguish the characters and guve players more obvious strengths and niches. Bottom line, I want the game to be a little more than a party of fighters with kits (for an AD&D 2nd ED reference...)

HQ... details to be hashed out. As noted, I’m providing the skeleton for free. Decide what you want... a clock tower, abandoned building, top floor of an apartment building, roof of an office tower... (Current leanings are toward a church converted into a nightclub.)

Ally... as referenced under origin, there is the possibility that a human ally also transferred over in the Merge. I like this idea and think I will incorporate it as en idea. While the character will be an NPC under GM control, I leave it to the players to inspire who this person is. Male or Female? Occupation? (Leave time in their schedule to check up on the gargoyles while they were in stone slumber..) I am aiming for PL 4 for this character. (Current leaning is toward the owner of the nightclub.)

Images... there are plenty of fan images on deviant art and elsewhere, most that I found are female but there are good ones out there. Do a Google search for Disney Gargoyles Fan Art or inspiration...
Submissions
Evangeline kirinke - teleporter
Israfil Flynnarrel - Mystic Flute
Cavall - Bladewind Garbeast (NPC)
Mikaela Bladewind - Garbeast Gargomancer (NPC)
Cassiel jmucchielo - Mergoyle
Dina - Spectrum - Inventor/Tech expert/Super Science!
Ariel - Vivid - Gargoyle 'Dog'/Fire Powers/Superspeed/Extended Tail
Last edited by Bladewind on Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
kirinke

Re: Disney Style Gargoyles - Interest Check

Post by kirinke »

I'm interested.

I'm thinking of a Goblinized/MGS gargoyle teleporter.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

I want “actual” gargoyles... but a low rank teleporter could work...
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

She would be a gargoyle for all intents and purposes, she just didn't start out as one. For her gargoyle name, it'd depend on the theme of the rest of the group.

Emma Daniels PL 8/120PP Gargoyle Teleporter

BACKSTORY
Back before M-Day, I was just a normal girl you know? Just graduated from high-school, looking forward to college and eventually joining the rat-race. I even had a pretty good child-hood, with loving parents. I was pretty forgettable. Just an ordinary kid, one of millions.

Then M-day happened. The night before I had gone out partying, celebrating graduation with my friends, hoping to wake up in some guy's bed with a massive hang-over to count for it. No such luck. I woke up looking like an D&D nerd's nightmare, complete with scales and bat-freaking wings!!!!!

I had turned into a GARGOYLE! Everything was going crazy, so I pitched in as best as I was able. Something happened though, during the battle. The last thing I remember was fighting a huge horror, then... Nothing. Next thing I know, I'm awake with a bunch of other gargoyles. What's going on?

HISTORY
Emma was once an ordinary girl, but when M-day happened, she had turned into a Gargoyle, like one from the show, complete with the memories of one of the second generation gargoyles. With all of the insanity going around her, instincts took over and she pitched in, helping protect the innocent and helpless against rampaging chaos beasties and the evil magic users helping them. During one of the battles, she got hit with a spell that rendered her helpless, locking her into her stone form for five years. When she awoke, she found herself in a group of other gargoyles, also waking from the same curse/spell.

Battle Init
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

I've been watching the Gargoyles cartoons, they really hold up well!

A common origin might be more unifying than a goblinized/merged character. We could be some of the Avalon gargoyles (and thus, magic spells for teleportation are not out of the realm of possibility). But I've not seen season 3 yet and don't know if they do something with those guys.

They were named for Angels.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

That is my thinking as well Flynn.

Angels gives you a wide variety of names...

Also, putting powers into the mix was to help distinguish the characters. So teleport for instance should be personal and limited to a four or five ranks and not have extended. Superspeed can be a little higher but account for the drag of your wings.. Flight is probably four ranks with the flaws wing and limited to gliding. (Details can be worked out, that was just a general idea of my plan...)

You’ll be up against street level threats for the most part, but there will be a supernatural element as well.

No. Xanatos and his ilk did not cross over, at least not in this corner of the Merged Universe...
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

KK. I can work with that.

How about just a simple Avalon gargoyle with teleportation?

Evangeline grew up in Avalon, one of many of the second generation of gargoyles born from the first clutch rescued by the Princess Katherine. Due to the magical nature of Avalon, Evangeline developed the powers of teleportation.

Maybe during one of the battles with the chaos beasties, the group got hit with a spell that forcibly turned them into their stone-form.

Battle Init
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Bladewind wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:29 am I want “actual” gargoyles...
or as Flynn said, the shared origin.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Hah. Once we agree on an origin, I work that into the character. ;)

Battle Init
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

My old friend, this caught my eye, shall we try the dance again?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

kirinke wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:33 pm KK. I can work with that.

How about just a simple Avalon gargoyle with teleportation?

Evangeline grew up in Avalon, one of many of the second generation of gargoyles born from the first clutch rescued by the Princess Katherine. Due to the magical nature of Avalon, Evangeline developed the powers of teleportation.
This works

kirinke wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:33 pm Maybe during one of the battles with the chaos beasties, the group got hit with a spell that forcibly turned them into their stone-form.
That also works, up for discussion depending on interest
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Spectrum wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:24 pm My old friend, this caught my eye, shall we try the dance again?
sounds good to me !

I have three potential interests... I'd like at least one more before moving to recruiting and actual world building....
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

I know absolutely nothing of the Gargoyle canon. In fact, the idea that a gargoyle's wings are like a flying squirrels makes me think these aren't the gargoyles I know AT ALL. Gargoyles on Gothic churches have bird or bat wings, not squirrel wings.

Should I express interest?
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

You are more than welcome to. What you really need to know is that a gargoyle is a stone statue by day and alive at night.

Essentially, most have wings that you would normally envision. In the above pic, Lexington is the only one with wings that are attached. The others have normal wings that have the bad ass image of folding down like a cloak or cape when not in use...

I would recommend watching the intro on YouTube. You would get enough info to be able to participate. And if it hooks you on watching the series... I take no responsibility. lol
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

This also might help:
https://gargoyles.fandom.com/wiki/Gargoyles_Wiki
You might want to put that into the original post.

Battle Init