(The Merge) Gargoyles: Defenders of the Night - (Hiatus)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
kirinke

Re: (The Merge) Gargoyles: Defenders of the Night - Recruiting

Post by kirinke »

Most gothic churches do have graveyards associated with them.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Theoretically, you can have a cemetery anywhere. But a graveyard is specifically a cemetery attached to a church. At least that what the definitions say. Though used interchangeably, they are not synonyms. One is a specific kind of the other.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Our PL Skill limit is 13 right? PL+5
"Something pithy this way comes."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

SKill PL is usually PL+10. GM's can vary this, though.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

I’ve never actually paid much attention to the PL limit on skills... but I have generally taken it to be Pl +10 by the sheet I use to check caps.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Artwork not mine, found on internet

Ariel (Means 'Lion of God') is a Shisa or 'dog' type Gargoyle. She is a pleasant sort besides being naturally scary. She has a particularly long tail (which is mostly internal, extending at need), good nose, powerful muscles, and burns with an inner fire (which she can dampen down for stealth).

She is loyal to her pack and especially protective of children.

Complications
Cannot Use Words - though can whine and paw at the ground and understand speech.
No Hands - though Tail is a tentacle-like manipulator, and can grab with bite or pin with body, she can't actually manipulate objects like opening jars or twisting doorknobs.
Motivation - protect and defend like all gargoyles
Especially likes Children

GarDog

Strength 0/6, Stamina 8, Agility 6, Dexterity -1, Fighting 0, Intellect -3, Awareness 6, Presence -1

Advantages
Benefit-Intimidate based on Strength, Favored Environment: fighting alongside clan member (emulates pack tactics or Flanking),
Skill Mastery: Intimidate, Fast Intimidate, Startle,
Evasion 2, Uncanny Dodge, Power Attack, Interpose, All out Attack, Move by Action, Takedown 2
Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Pin, Improved Trip,

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+8), Athletics 6 (+12), Perception 9(+15), Intimidate 9(+15), Insight 5 (+11)
Close Unarmed 10, Stealth 2(+8), Persuasion (limited children)6(+5)

Powers
Scent: Acute, Extended, Accurate, Tracking 2, Hearing Extended, Ultrahearing, [8pp]
Prehensile Tail, Elongation 2, tail only {30ft} [2pp]

Powerful Muscles
Enhanced Strength 6, dynamic [13pp+2DAE+2AE]
Dynamic AE: Wall Crawling 2, Sure-Footed, dynamic
Dynamic AE: Speed 6 {120 MPH Max, usually less} & Leaping 6 {500ft Max, usually less}
AE: Raking Scrabble, Striking Strength 6, Multiattack 6
AE: Rending claws, Striking Strength 6, Improved critical 2, Penetrating 4

Internal fire [12pp+2AE]
Fire Breath; Damage 8, Area-cone, Distracting, Secondary effect on 4 ranks
AE:Molten Skin; Damage 3, Aura
AE:Melt Through; Weaken Toughness pr 8 (Objects Only), Distracting, Precise, Accurate 4, link Damage 2, Precise

Tough Skin; Protection 2 [2pp]

Sidekick 3 (Min), Communication Link [4pp]

Offense
Initiative +6
Grab, +10 (DC of Grab 18 (10+Str+Elongation) or 12), One-limbed, Improve Pin
Unarmed, +10 (DC 21), Fast Grab
or +10 (DC21), Multiattack
or +10 (DC21) [18-20] Penetrating 4
Breath, DC23, Area-cone, DC19 on subsequent rounds
Molten skin, Any touch/grapple etc could prompt additional DC18 Toughness
Melt, +8 DC18 Toughness/Fort Weaken, then DC 17 Toughness

Defense
Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 8, Toughness 10, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 30 + Powers 45+ Sidekick 4 + Advantages 18 + Skills 15 + Defenses 8 = 120

Sidekick

2ft' tall

Min
Min was an egg not hatched from her kresh. She was given the customary month since the last egg hatched before she was about to be declared a lost cause. Ariel snuck into the hatchery and stole the egg, heating it in her fires to hasten it's maturation. The result was the littlest gargoyle, named Miniel or 'Min' for short.

Usually Min hangs on to Ariel's underside which keeps her protected from most things, she also has the natural ability to blend into the area so it's easy to forget about her.

Min also has a communication link to Ariel and can interpret what the GarDog is thinking/sensing.

Complications
Fiercely loyal to the clan and Ariel in particular.
Attached wing Gargoyle - Min is a gargoyle with attached wings so she is unable to use her hands effectively while Gliding.

Gar-girl

At 2 and a half feet tall Min, who is the 'squirrel wing' type of diminutive Gargoyle anyway

GarDog

Strength -2/-3, Stamina 2, Agility 0, Dexterity -1, Fighting -2, Intellect 0, Awareness 0, Presence 0
[-6pp]

Advantages: Animal Empathy

Skills
Persuasion 6(+6) (limited Animals), Persuasion 1 (+1), Perception 3(+3), Insight 2(+2)

Powers
Low-light Vision [1pp]
Wall crawling 1 [2pp]
Flight 2 Gliding Only, Winged [1pp]
Communication Link - Ariel [1pp]
Concealment 2 (normal visual), Blending, Passive [1pp]
Shrinking 6, Permanent [6pp]
Size -1, Str -1, defenses +3, Stealth +6, intimidate -3
Immunity Ariel's powers [1pp]

Offense
Initiative -1
Grab, -2 (DC of Grab 7)
Unarmed -2, DC12 Toughness

Defense
Dodge 1, Parry -2, Fortitude 2, Toughness 2, Will 2

Power Points
Abilities -6 + Powers 13 + Advantages 2 + Skills 3 + Defenses 3 = 15
Last edited by Vivid on Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Ouuuhh ! A Gargoyle Beast !

I like ! However, in the show Bronx and Boadicea (the two Gar-Beasts we see) are both mute...
I am currently playing a similar type character in another game and while fun, it is limiting !

And also, if someone could make a list of the submissions I'd appreciate it ! (I started, they are in first post of the thread.)
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Vivid wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:11 pm Complications
Cannot Use Words - though can whine and paw at the ground and understand speech.
No Hands - though Tail is a tentacle-like manipulator, and can grab with bite or pin with body, she can't actually manipulate objects like opening jars or twisting doorknobs.
Motivation - protect and defend like all gargoyles
Especially likes Children
Should it be something more that a Complication? In the show they could still growl and whine and such.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Submissions
Evangeline - kirinke - teleporter/flaming sword/many expanded senses
Israfil - Flynnarrel - Mystic Flute/Face/Strong Flier
Dina - Spectrum - Inventor/Tech expert/Super Science!
Ariel - Vivid - Gargoyle 'Dog'/Fire Powers/Superspeed/Extended Tail
Cassielle - jmucchiello - Aquatic/Also Super-speed/Water Manipulation/Magic Trident
Last edited by Flynnarrel on Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Something pithy this way comes."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Cassielle is coming.

Preview pic: Image
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Thanks Flynn... Dina is Spectrum tho 😜
Last edited by Bladewind on Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Vivid wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:38 pm Should it be something more that a Complication? In the show they could still growl and whine and such.
No. Complication is good. I am talking more about actual play. I find my own character of similar origins is very reactive and writing for him can be difficult. Just pointing it out as I happen to like your Gar-Beast more than the one I had considered adding as an NPC...
Last edited by Bladewind on Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

You could always have the critter as a minion of your character.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

So, an issue that is still coming up is that of backgrounds... So, from the collective (and unrelated input) of two potential players, I'd like to offer you all the possibility of flashbacks... not something that will actually come up in story or require rolls. But it is something that happened a lot in the show - we got flashbacks to the past...

Anyone who wants to write a flashback to pre-Merge is more than welcome to. Nothing too verbose and remember, for the most part you are the only ones to have Merged...You basically have a decade where you adventured in the modern world. And although you won't have your allies, connections and the like from pre-Merge you still have your memories (well... most of you...)

Should you choose to post - either a paragraph or point form - or otherwise make use of flashbacks, remember that Gargoyles are a clannish bunch and do things together... but also don't write too much about other characters... I am not pinning the size of the clan don in any way shape or form, but remember that the idea is that the PCs are the only ones to have Merged. I added a few extra still in stone for potential character additions or swaps...
Here is a timeline to help out...
918 Goliath is born.

984 Goliath becomes leader of the Wyvern clan after Hudson steps down.

995 The Wyvern Massacre occurs.

1994 Goliath and his clan awaken from their spell.

1995 - 1996 Events of the series occur

2001 - members of the Avalon clan venture out into the world to seek their own fortunes.

2002 - the members of the Avalon clan choose to protect a city much like the remnants of the Wyvern Clan chose Manhattan.

2011 - a powerful magus curses the clan much like the Wyvern Clan was cursed in 995. The conditions of the spell are such that when one of the statues was destroyed, a certain number of the clan would awaken. Which is why there are still gargoyles slumbering...

2015 - The Merge Occurs

2020 - The spell is broken, and the characters find themselves on the Merged Earth. The game starts 3 nights later.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Bladewind wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:11 pm
jmucchiello wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:43 pm No security system? NIght clubs do get broken into.
Added. I had thought of it, but thought originally it was overkill. Likewise it definitely has a computer, a telephone and the like, but I did not feel they warranted the actual HG features...
Cool. I was mostly thinking in terms of adding a few things to the church as downtime allows:
Library
Laboratory
access to the local cctv system (remote viewing)
access to the underground (oddly spacious) tunnels in the area (teleportation)
workshop
reinforcing the walls (impervious)
and various other techno/magical ways of making it a home
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.