Adventures In Hyboria IC: The Lost Mine

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Tattooedman

Re: Adventures In Hyboria IC: The Lost Mine

Post by Tattooedman »

Kiara:

Guided by Kira's directions, you have no trouble locating the Goblin's stash. The shiny bits the monk's familiar noticed are finely crafted silver objects; fancy glasses, cutlery (forks, spoons and such), and other small, easily carriable objects. Things that Goblins wouldn't normally have given the high quality of the items you've found. Clearly this is loot the Goblins have recently claimed from some poor, unsuspecting soul.

Otherwise the items stashed away are more in line with what you might expect Goblins to have, including travel rations, overnight gear and a clan stone.
OOC wrote:Kiara's check was good enough.

This is the image on the clan stone.
Anyone interested in such things can make a Intellect Check, DC 10 to see if their character recognizes the symbol.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Everyone:

At this point the captured Goblins begin to recover from the effects of Tully's spell.
OOC wrote:So I got the impression the group wanted to question the Goblins, so feel free to start that.
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Abigail Bright, Junior Lorist
AC:17 (Scale+Dex+Shield) | HP: 14/17 | Init +2 | Passive Perception: 13
Spell slots 1x1st (3 max)| Bardic Inspiration 2 (4 max)
Inspiration Point: ?

Abigail looks pensive at first as the Goblins start to rouse. She knew... too much of the Goblin accountings to be good for an untroubled night's sleep.

She decided to go with a method they'd understand. At a gesture her eyes blaze with golden fire. [Thaumaturgy Cantrip]

<Goblin> "You worms dared attack us! I should have your ears to adorn my boots if they weren't so unkempt and ugly." She marveled at her second mention of ears and silently made note that there was obviously something there she needed to address in her psyche.

<Goblin> "Maybe I should give your souls to my necromancer friend to add to her Harp of Tortured Shrieks for an eternity of Agony just because she likes the sound and your bodies will be animated for her army, after all the juicy bits are consumed raw by her fiendish raven, of course. Abigail was suddenly glad her friends couldn't understand her. This was dark. Maybe she needed to spend less time in the Infernal Contracts stacks of the Library.

<Goblin> "Since your pathetic, squeaking language offends my tongue do any of you speak Common? My friend has questions and you WILL answer them to the best of your meager abilities or I will visit upon you and your families such horrors that your shamans and history speakers will weep your tale of woe for many life spans of children and children's-children to come. Provided I let them live, of course."

"Common? Any of you?" she asks, much too reasonably which only adds to the horror of the scenario.

I'm hoping the eye trick gives advantage, but if not ignore the second roll:
intimidation: 1D20+4 = [20]+4 = 24
1D20+4 = [4]+4 = 8

Ummm, well now.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Jack

Jack watched with widening eyes as Abigail spoke the lesser tongue of the greenskiin thugs . Such brutish language slipping from such sweet lips. While the words, for the most part, were completely unintelligible, the tone made things more clear. Delightfully so. Uncontrollably so.

A glance to the left, to the right, watching the reactions of the rest of the group.

He stepped back again, walking over towards a the unknown symbol and trying to place it. Or at least, trying to think of a general origin for it. Was it in greenskin script? Was it religious? Of a nation of trading federation? Or with some concern, was it related to their employer?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Lan

Lan gathers up the jewelry and takes them over to where Tully and Abigail and Jarrak(?) are speaking to the bound goblins. She pauses to smirk at the otherwise tame librarian's.... passion and the literal fire in her eyes before holding out the jewelry to Jarrak.

"Might want to ask them about these. They may have done in with our employers. We'll want the bodies, or at least to know if and when they were robbed and sent on their way." Lan says. Her tone is not without compassion for Jarrak's family but it lacks any sense of personal loss.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Image"Lord Tully"

By the end of her anger filled tirade, the dwarf's eyebrows had thoroughly raised several inches, leaving his slit gray eyes fully visible for a change of pace. "My my lass... That really is quite the mouth on ye, I must say. I may not understand a lick of Gibber-speak, but you don't live as long as I have without catching onto a social cue or two."

Tully allows the goblins to process her threats, taking a brief moment to glance over the objects recovered with an ever deepening frown. "You poor foolish boys, what were ye thinkin' leaving without us?"

His eyes hone in on the stone, recognizing the impression near instantly.

Intellect: 20
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Jarrak of Blackmoore
HP: 26/26 | AC: 18/20 (shield) | Init: -1 | Perception: 10

Jarrak's face freezes at the sight of the jewelry.

Reaching out with his right arm for the hammer pendant, he fought the urge to swear twice. Once for his missing cousin, and another from the tremor in his hand.

Turning back to face the goblins he stared at them with cold eyes, holding the pendant up.

"Abigail, dear. Ask them where they got this," He says in a level voice, belaying the dread and anger he was feeling, "And feel free to put the fear of Fharlanghn in them if they say they know nothing. I won't be taking that as an answer."

Morradin, he prayed, watch out for your missing son. Help his on the way. Fharlanghn, help me find the path to my poor lost Cousin. Please don't let this be his last adventure.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Jack

The young man grew ashen as looked among the group.

"I know that I'm a clever boy but not a smart one buuut aren't you making assumptions here? Can't there be another explanation?

Why did they insist on going on before us?

Oh dear, so you think that they are them? "

And starts to look rather green at the entire thing.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Everyone:

The Goblins cringe and cower as Abigail insults, berate and threaten them. Once she had finished then inquired as to which of them spoke Common, a volunteer is pushed (or rather shoved, shouldered and kicked) out to speak. The smallest of all the Goblins, who refuses to look the small librarian in the eye, answers meekly. "I speak the Commons."

"Might want to ask them about these. They may have done in with our employers. We'll want the bodies, or at least to know if and when they were robbed and sent on their way." Lan says. Her tone is not without compassion for Jarrak's family but it lacks any sense of personal loss.

Tully allows the goblins to process her threats, taking a brief moment to glance over the objects recovered with an ever deepening frown. "You poor foolish boys, what were ye thinkin' leaving without us?"

His eyes hone in on the stone, recognizing the impression near instantly.

Jarrak's face freezes at the sight of the jewelry.

Reaching out with his right arm for the hammer pendant, he fought the urge to swear twice. Once for his missing cousin, and another from the tremor in his hand.

Turning back to face the goblins he stared at them with cold eyes, holding the pendant up.

"Abigail, dear. Ask them where they got this," He says in a level voice, belaying the dread and anger he was feeling, "And feel free to put the fear of Fharlanghn in them if they say they know nothing. I won't be taking that as an answer."

The small Goblin speaker visibly winces as Jarrak asks his questions, indicating that he really did not want to answer as he stares at the pendant. However, after a stolen glance in Abigail's direction he answers none the less. "From Dwarf."

OOC wrote:For the record I'd have been ok with giving Abigail advantage on that Intimidation Check, but since you rolled a nat 20 on the first go I figured it was a moot point.

Tully recognizes the image as the symbol of the Fanged Maw Goblin tribe, who are known for being troublesome to the surrounding settlements in the area. They are notorious for raiding to replenish their supplies.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Lan

"Not very helpful an answer." Lan chides. "How long ago? Was it just one dwarf? Are they dead?"
"Something pithy this way comes."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Image"Lord Tully"

Tully holds up a hand as if to try and silence his companions, yet it falters halfway through it's movement. While he may command the room as a Lord of the High Court, out here in these woods he was on equal footing among all his companions. Young Abigail's display was more then proof enough on that front, he'd have been high pressed to recreate even half that display of fury.

Correcting himself, he hides the misstep with a clearing of his throat. "I know of your clan, fancy yourselves a group of mighty conquers and pillagers do you? O' denizens of the mighty 'Fanged Maw'," He speaks with a tilted, almost derisive tone of voice. "My friend speaks most prudently, what say you of the previous owner's fate, hm? Enslaved to your mighty empire perhaps, or their blood shed by the wayside? May you surprise me yet with a third option, I wonder?"
------------
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Jack

Well wasn't this an interesting turn.

While he couldn't rise to much sympathy with the spokesgob, there might be room for empathy. It would not be the first, nor the last, time that a runt would have a different perspective than the runt of a bunch. Well, when they weren't even more psychopathic wretches.

And now that the clan had been named, he might have story of them. Quite likely a different perspective than a village dweller.

While he would make no effort to interrupt the questioning he wasn't likely to keep silent if they started to harm the runt either.
I'm still on the kindle. If Tman is good with it, could someone please roll something like insight and or knowledge? Thank you!
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Kiara
AC: 18 l HP: 19 l Init: +4 l Passive Perception: 14

A few moments later Kiara walked out of the woods carrying a couple of sacks which were laden with the treasures shed found. setting them in the back of one of the carts for later appraisal she sat down lotus style and pulled her long sword from its sheath. then she began cleaning the blade while running a whetstone along the curved razors edge in slow deliberate moves.

All the while she watched the goblins her eyes colder then ice her aura that of a serpent eyeing prey
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Abigail Bright, Junior Lorist
AC:17 (Scale+Dex+Shield) | HP: 14/17 | Init +2 | Passive Perception: 13
Spell slots 1x1st (3 max)| Bardic Inspiration 2 (4 max)
Inspiration Point: ?

Abigail frowns at the many large words that Lord Tully used. She knew that was her tendency as well. And it certainly didn't help that they pushed forth the weakest, possibly most fearful of their group, not necessarily the brightest.

"Small minds, small words." she reminds the Dwarven Lord and the others. Otherwise she'd let the questions stand - no sense bogging them down with multiple questions.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Image"Lord Tully"

He waves absently, "<Dwarvish> It'll get the jist, this is part of my strategy. Baffle them with wordplay, leave them unsteady and uncertain. Politics, dear Abigail. I've I used the same strategy many times before with far stupider individualls."
------------