Going Rogue OOC thread

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
kenmadragon

Re: Going Rogue OOC thread (recruiting 2)

Post by kenmadragon »

Thanks for the well wishes guys! :D

As to Raven, well, it's different enough from Sebastian that it's not too toe-stepping. It'd be better to differentiate the two more, where both are young and supernaturally bent, Sebastian's a far more accomplish sorcerer and extremely well versed in magic and the supernatural, while Raven would be the neophyte in terms of knowledge, but greater personal powers. Like, the Thor to Sebastian's Loki.

But really, my only real problems with her is probably the fact that her being named Raven makes me chuckle (it's a tad cliche), the image is a bit much for my tastes (too risque), and lacking a surname (seriously).

That and I would have made the build differently - ie, with the points you're saving using Catsi's houserules on skills, making Robes of the Damned an Alt Form instead of a Device (transformation sequence!), lowering her Expertise level to +7 or +8, dropping Assessment and Jack of All Trades and one rank of Takedown (maybe Artificer as well), increasing Comprehend Spirits to full-medium levels, etc. But then again, I would have build differently from you guys no matter what character it was (like Colonel Dusk, who I would have just given Speed 3, Leaping 3 instead of the unneccesary dynamic array she's got), so take those opinion with a grain of salt.

Also, I'm damned ( ;) :lol: ) sure that Alternate Resistance on Damage is actually a +1/rank extra, not no-cost.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Wow, someone woke up on the wrong side of the hoard this morning ;)

You make some really good points. I'll put some thought into whether the character can be saved or scrapped.

I do however suggest that you reread the description of alternate resistance. :)
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

Ah, right. It can be a +0... but if you see Mental Blast, applying Alternate Resistance (Will) to the Damage power is a +1/rank extra.

As for dragons being unsettled... well I advanced an age category, which means my hoard isn't large enough to sleep on anymore. Oh well, better go raiding and pillaging to steal treasures for the hoard. Maybe snag a princess or two while I'm at it.

No... wait, that'd mean a team of adventurers is just going to come after me, and that'll mean work later.

On the other hand, I could just roast the "heroes" and keep their gear for my hoard.

Decisions, decisions.

:P
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Raven, now Nenia, is now updated. Now more of a costumed investigator with a death imagery motiff.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Corrigon wrote:Macynsnow your damage and to hit is PL14
thanks for the catch,Corrigan! correcting now...
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

So (edit) Shock pointed out that Rachel Weis is an actress that I've never heard of. :)

So, small contest of the most white bread, WASPY middle class name people can come up with- prize being a thank you!
Last edited by Spectrum on Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

This is The only Rachel Weis that i know of....
Her Movies:
1994 Death Machine
1994 White Goods
1996 Chain Reaction
1996 Stealing Beauty
1997 Bent
1997 Going All the Way
1997 Swept from the Sea
1997 I Want You
1998 My Summer with Des
1998 The Land Girls
1999 The Mummy (Her most Famous one)
1999 Sunshine
1999 Tube Tales
2000 Beautiful Creatures
2000 This Is Not an Exit: The Fictional World of Bret Easton Ellis
2001 Enemy at the Gates
2001 The Mummy Returns
2002 About a Boy
2003 Confidence
2003 The Shape of Things
2003 Runaway Jury
2004 Envy
2005 Constantine
2005 The Constant Gardener
2006 The Fountain
2006 Eragon (Voice Only)
2007 Fred Claus
2007 My Blueberry Nights
2008 Definitely, Maybe
2008 The Brothers Bloom
2009 The Lovely Bones
2009 Agora
2010 The Whistleblower
2011 360
2011 Dream House
2011 The Deep Blue Sea
2012 The Bourne Legacy
2013 Oz the Great and Powerful
2015 The Lobster
2015 Youth
2016 Complete Unknown
2016 The Light Between Oceans
2016 Denial
2017 The Mercy
2017 My Cousin Rachel

as for names....good luck! :D
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I think that I may have seen four of those movies.
Nintendogeek01

Post by Nintendogeek01 »

That's more than me. A whopping zero. Then again I'm not really a movie person.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

seen 8 of them but I'm a sucker for a long haired brunette :P

Macy Hooligans still way over level his strength is 13 and his fighting is 8 with +4 unarmed levels this means his combined level in unarmed combat is 25 or pl 12.5

Defensively hes a flat 22 8 defenses and a +14 toughness from stamina also over limits

Spectrum with Nenia she looks good I'm still concerned with the extremes in abilities lots of 0s with hyper enhanced skills, they always come off a little wobbly to me. its hard to see someone with a +10 athletics skill which is usually considered well beyond Olympic if not best in the world level class having what is effectively a bystanders level of strength and agility and dexterity barely above the average.

her skills are still off a little she has currently 29 pp allocated 19pp equaling 57 skill points, and her close combat which is 5pp for 10skill as combat skills are the standard 2 for 1.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

I've been watching this recruitment for a while, unfortunately I was swamped at work and didn't really get a chance last week to respond. As such I was curious as to whether or not the thread was still recruiting.

If so I would be more than happy to offer a concept for your perusal, if not, then I wish you all the best! :)
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I'm sorry, I've reviewed the front page house rules several times. Is there a 3:1 conversion on skills other than combat? I can roll those points into the abilities if the pp are available.

Another taste question, what is 'hyper competent' considered for this game? The general guideline I go by is 10 is considered professional grade. I'll be happy to lower skills to a more acceptable level... again, freeing up more points for abilities :)
Nintendogeek01

Post by Nintendogeek01 »

Spectrum wrote:Another taste question, what is 'hyper competent' considered for this game? The general guideline I go by is 10 is considered professional grade. I'll be happy to lower skills to a more acceptable level... again, freeing up more points for abilities :)
Hm... curious. I seem to remember the book saying somewhere that +5 is professional level while +10 is, as catsi said, among the best in the world.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Nintendogeek01 wrote:
Spectrum wrote:Another taste question, what is 'hyper competent' considered for this game? The general guideline I go by is 10 is considered professional grade. I'll be happy to lower skills to a more acceptable level... again, freeing up more points for abilities :)
Hm... curious. I seem to remember the book saying somewhere that +5 is professional level while +10 is, as catsi said, among the best in the world.
The trick is to compare the Skill Bonus to the Difficulty Classes and figure out what your character can accomplish as a Routine Task (i.e., taking a ten).

A character with a +5 Skill Bonus will be able to accomplish Tough Tasks (DC 15) on a routine basis, will easily complete Average Tasks (DC 10) and has no worry about Easy Tasks (DC 5). But he'll need to sweat a bit about accomplishing a Challenging Task (DC 20) although it's within his capability. I'd call that Professional Level. Someone who might be amongst the best in the city.

Compare him to someone with a +10 Bonus in the same Skill. That person will accomplish Easy, Average, and Tough Tasks with no real worry (DC 5–15) and will complete Challenging Tasks (DC 20) on a routine basis. He really only has to sweat once you start looking at Formidable Tasks (DC 25). That's what I'd call a World-Class Talent, like an Olympic Athlete or a top-in-his-field Doctor. Someone who could be considered one of the best in the country.

You've got some "wiggle room" here, generally Is say +/- 2 in any given direction. Not every autom mechanic in the shop is equally skilled, even if they're all pros. So Alex is a +3, Bob is a +5, and Charlie is a +7... But Davis the engineer who designed the car is a +8, his boss Eric is a +10.

Edit to Add: This is total bonus. Attribute Bonus plus Skill Ranks. So if you want an Omnidisciplinary Scientist a la Reed Richards, you can just crank the INT score through the roof.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I'm getting tempted to write my magna opus regarding how PL is simply an indicator of how much influence you want a roll of the dice to have over the fate of your character and how pp is a reflection of how broad you want your character to be under the costs defined by the rules of the game.

But.. that's for another time. Really right now, its more a question of how difficult tasks are expected to be. If we're comic book inspired heroes, how outlandish are our tests going to be? How much above the realm of mortal men.. persons! are we expected. A dark gritty pulp story has a different sense of realism than the world of martial arts movies has a difference sense of realism than the common fare of today's superhero movies.