Monreal
33%
Vancouver
53%

Total votes: 15

The_baron

Interest Check in a M&M 3E Supernatural Superhero game set north of the border

Post by The_baron »

Hello there, I am The_Baron. I am interested in starting a M&M 3e game with supernatural superheros. Think heroes like Dr. Strange, Blade, Zatanna and Deadman. the game will be set in a Canadian city, which one will be up to you. Players will PL 10/150PP. I hope to see some great responses.
Spectrum

Re: Interest Check in a M&M 3E Supernatural Superhero game set north of the border

Post by Spectrum »

Very interesting. I may need to give some real thought to this.

Are you choosing those cities for any specific reason?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Miracle

Re: Interest Check in a M&M 3E Supernatural Superhero game set north of the border

Post by Miracle »

Vancouver, because every show is in Vancouver :P
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

As someone who used to live an hour North of Toronto, I have to vote for T.O. Now I have a few ideas I could work with, are we going to be part of a larger setting, ie. Marvel, DC, or the Freedom-verse, or are we free to play with concepts and do a little world building at the same time?
The_baron

Post by The_baron »

I chose those three cities because that they are the three largest metropolises in Canada.
The_baron

Post by The_baron »

Miracle wrote:Vancouver, because every show is in Vancouver :P
not entirely true... many movies and tv shows are filmed in Toronto
The_baron

Post by The_baron »

ZenGypsy wrote:As someone who used to live an hour North of Toronto, I have to vote for T.O. Now I have a few ideas I could work with, are we going to be part of a larger setting, ie. Marvel, DC, or the Freedom-verse, or are we free to play with concepts and do a little world building at the same time?
You are free to do world-building
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Vancouver as an American but honestly isn't Montreal the New York City of Canada? It's age alone would add to the mystery. Toronto almost as old and the Lakes would be a great setting. Tough choices
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

Montreal is an interesting choice, but being in Quebec, there is certainly both a cultural and language barrier.

Toronto has stood in for New York, and other various American cities often enough in movies, and as of 2011 is actually surpassing Vancouver as the Hollywood of the North, complete with the Toronto International Film Fest, and Canada's Walk of Fame. It also has the look of more traditional super hero city ...
Now, that being said, a couple quick concepts come up for each city ... Vancouver I would probably be tempted to go something more along the lines of Primal Magic, perhaps an Earth Elemental, similar to Swamp Thing ... Toronto ... I would probably go with something more urban, thinking perhaps an Urban hunter who has become that which he has sworn to hunt ...

Either way, plenty to think of ...
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

A psychic who uses pain as a weapon but fears they're getting addicted to the feeling of hurting other people.

or

A necromancer who uses spirits who have not passed on to fuel magic. Sees their work as basic clean up. Does not raise the dead for obvious reasons.

Whichever one, they're a recent expatriate. As I have no knowledge of Canadian cities. Also, they have reason to be there for at least four years ;)
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

For many years, I had a beautifully gothic travel poster for Montreal. It was a glorious dark purple and black cathedral. Stunning for a supernatural edge.
Curbludgeon

Post by Curbludgeon »

I've held off on submitting characters for recent games, and am thus itching for something like this.

I could see value in having a game set in Yellowknife, or perhaps Nova Scotia, which allows one to really play up the massive landscape damage which might otherwise dominate an urban game.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Interest withdrawn
Last edited by Spectrum on Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Is it bad form to have a desire to play a hero based on Paul Bunyan...? With a much more supernatural then folk lore element, of course. :D

Edit: Okay okay, I have a more serious idea now. Still going with a man who was once a lumberjack, but now he's... different. My current thought is giving him abilities similar to that of a hidebehind, so a superb focus on stealth.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

Pain

Anastasiya's magical powers sprang forth on her twelfth birthday in a jarring and unsettling fashion. She could not control that her head was on fire. Of course, it wasn't real fire, but it felt like it. This caught wind of the locals and everyone came to see the 'burning head girl'. Eventually this caught wind of the local - Moscow, Russia - news and of the internet.

Someone in America gave her a ticket to her freedom. They flew her over and examined her. They noticed she was holding back psychic pain and had been doing so for most of her life. She just needed to find a way to release it. Her mentor worked with her and taught her the ways of simple longform magic.

On her sixteenth birthday came horrible relief. She was holding on to her mentor, as she did during particularly painful episodes, and all of a sudden it stopped. The pain was gone. But so was her mentor. They vanished into ephemereal nothingness. Her mentor knew this woul most likely happen. She would soon receive her green card. For the next year or so, she lived with the magical community. They taught her more than she knew. Her mentor also left her, in their will, the place she had stayed at.

And it was good for a while. Eight years later, that all changed. The climate of American relations to immigrants and general everything else seemed to take a swift hard kick in the ass. She was an adult herself. And when the worst happened, she knew what she had to do, become an immigrant. (City) was right across the border. She's now applying for Canadian citizenship.

Abilities
Strength 0
Stamina 6

Agility 4
Dexterity 4

Fighting 4
Intellect 6

Awareness 4
Presence 4

Defenses
Toughness 13
Dodge 7
Parry 7

Fortitude 10
Will 10

Combat
Close Attack 4, Ranged Attack 4
Initiative 4

Skills
Deception 6 (+10), Expertise: 6 (+12), Expertise: Magic 6 (+12), Insight 6 (+10), Intimidation 6 (+10), Persuasion 6 (+10)

Advantages
Assessment, Attractive, Language 2 (English, French), Equipment 4, Precise Shot, Ritualist

Equipment: Heavy Pistol, Smartphone (with Camera and Video Camera), 7 points left over

Powers
Flight: Flight 2 (8 MPH, Subtle)

Give Pain: Damage 14 (psychic, Opposed by Will, Accurate, Limited to own damaged state)
Know Pain: Mind Reading 14 (Accurate, Cumulative, Close Range, Effortless, Limited to painful experiences)
Take Pain: Healing 14 (Accurate, Empathic, Energizing, Limited to Others)

Mental Mask: Feature 1 (no one can tell the difference between Pain and Anastasiya)

Pain Negation: Protection 7

Complcations
Addiction: Her powers are very demanding. The GM can make Pain roll against Will Defense with a penalty equal to the bruises she has. If she fails, Pain goes into a tranquil fury and is out of the player's hand until the GM decides to give her her senses back.
Phobia: She's not scared of the episodes, she does fear what happens in them, as she doesn't remember.
Prejudice: She's an immigrant/expatriate for the second time in her life.
Quirk: She has a very noticeable Russian accent.