DEAD Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, Ch 1b: Blood in the Streets

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Spectrum

DEAD Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, Ch 1b: Blood in the Streets

Post by Spectrum »

The Yawning Portal

The infamous tavern and inn has become a place for adventures to relax among their own kind, sharing their adventures and failures, always trying to shout out their stories the loudest or to seek solace in the company of those that have faced similar hardships. You may have all been coming here for a while, but in any case, are still new, still fresh, still in need of testing. You may have reached the point where people watch you as you come in, seeing what new tales you bring, there are many that are still warming up to you. They have seen too many come and go, some for greener pastures, others to be lost forever, for too many of them to warm up easily to new faces. But still, there are always exceptions. An encouraging nod from one, the occasional offer of a stein in return for favors to be named later. Is this the life that you choose, and to survive?

Tonight is little different. The same faces. The same littered plates and half-drained tankards. The same arguments over games or who can tell the biggest stories, the same bawdy songs accompanied by half stumbling strummings.

Still, its busy enough, and few enough open seats that you are all pushed towards the same long table.
Last edited by Spectrum on Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
MacynSnow

Re: Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, Ch 1: A Friend in Need

Post by MacynSnow »

Marco Brennakovic
HIT POINTS= 12 ARMOR CLASS= 17

"When i was growing up, i always wanted to travel to Waterdeep and see the Grand ships in the Dock ward, go on a rolicking adventure in Undermountain and Save the City itself from Evil....Then i joined the Elturgard and realized the ugly truth of "Adventuring"; your just a more respected Mercenary. I'd been in the City itself about a week now, staying here at the Portal. As i flagged Bonnie down to order my usual, i couldn't help but feel that something was....Different today, it was like the Calm i'd felt before we'd get the order to Bear Lances, an anticipation that i'd heard a Northman call "The Surge"...."
"Once i got my seat, i eyed my table companions(and possible adventuring companions....maybe i'm not as cynical as i thought?):
Sister Autumn was the easiest to get along with, as we both know what it's like to put other's before ourselves and i'd gone with her a couple of times to help the needy.. Bard(still haven't learned his name yet) was a near complete mystery, as he hadn't said anything 'bout himself yet(which rotates my Axel the wrong way something Fierce), so i tend to stay away from him for now... Now i won't say this to her face(i respect her too much to insult her like that) but i always feel kinda sorry for Brooksbed's situation. Yeah, i'm a fairly big Cynic when it comes to my life choices, but at least i remember my childhood. She woke up a nearly complete blank slate. My father had a saying "The only true thing we have in this life is who we are." it must be absolute torture to go through life that way and must be doubly hard considering how long an Elf lives...
Coming out of my thought's, i ask the others...
"
"What's on the Agenda today?..."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Delphne Brookesbed
HP: 10/10, AC: 15, Darkvision: 60 ft.

"No idea, Marco. No idea. Probably just sit around talking about nothing like we did the past couple nights," she said with a smile, her voice is light and joyful. "Last night you won the 'who will Hammerfist over there by the fire punch first?' contest. Tonight, my copper piece is on that halfling over there by the window. I think he'll run afoul of Ol' Hammerfist."

When Bonnie returns with Marco's drink, Delphne says, "Good evening, Bonnie. My usual if you would. Any interesting skuttlebutt tonight?"
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Post by Gunmetal_Rainbow »

Autumn Dämmerung
HP: 9/9 | AC: 18 | Passive Perception/Insight: 15

Waterdeep was at the same time one of the most impressive places Autumn had ever visited, and one of the most stiffling. The constant pressure to stay and grow roots stood against everything she'd come to love about the faith she'd embraced. Sure, most people were polite enough about it, and it wasn't some kind of blatant demands that she stay, but she always felt that undercurrent, those unspoken words and intentions that called for adventurous types to stay, even if few actually said anything about it out loud. The city just tried to make everything.... too convenient.

Of course, that didn't make the city itself any less impressive, but she supposed, having grown up in a little village, of course a massive city like Waterdeep would be impressive. Sure it wasn't maybe the MOST impressive place she'd ever visited in her wandering with Dallas, but it definately ranked top ten.

Today, she sat in one of the city's premiere taverns, coincidentally having met up with a number of faces she'd met before on the road, or previous visits to Waterdeep. Of course she introduced those to others who had not previously met, and Autumn was happy for such varied company. It was rather packed today, but she wasn't minding too much, aside from having to apologize every few minutes for bumping into someone with her shield or whatnot. Grace, thy name was not Autumn.

"Well, on this forfruitis" (she means 'fortuitous') "occasion meetin' with so many people from varied wanderin', we could share stories about what we've bin up to. Jus' last week I was travellin' through this lovely lil forest where I came thiiiiis close to a squirril nest." she indicates what is probably a mite on the exaggerated side just how close she got. "There were some babies in it, but the parents weren' too thrilled. Started throwin' acorns at me from the branches!" she laughs. Her youth and upbringing came through in her colonial accent and manner of speech, that of one that grew up far from the cities and made her sound as uneducated as she technically was. Of course, one would be mistaken to think her stupid, there were just certain topics she has no education in
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Lady Marigold Albrect
HP: 8 | AC 16 (Mage Armor) | PP 10

Sweeping into the Yawning Portal like a light warm Summer's breeze, Lady Albrect couldn't resist going to the edge of the deep hole to peer into the darkness. Not even her enhanced sight could see the bottom (presumably). She couldn't help but be reminded of another dark path a few months ago. She shuddered slightly at the thought of the night her world changed.
A jostling from behind her made one hand dart to secure her hat upon her head lest she lose it to the inn's namesake, while her other went to check her coin purse lest this evening's exercise in visibility be more costly than intended. Both articles securely in place, she flashes a magnanimous smile to the patron who jostled her and let her eyes continue to scan this evening's clientele of the tavern.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Marco Brennakovic
Hit Points-12 Armor Class-17 Passive Perception-13

i gave a grin to Delphen as i said "That's a fool's bet Frauline and you know it...". It was always fun to hang around Delphen(even though i don't alway agree with her approach to problems) as she knew where all the more...intresting places in town were.

After Autumn told her story, i couldn't help but laugh lightly as i replied "Nothing quite as exciting for me i'm afraid Geistliche, i just had to have my Vambraces re-fitted..."

As i was just getting a swig from my mug, i spotted Edelfrau Marigold just come in. Quickly i put the mug bsck down ans stood on my chair while giving as loud a Horse-whistle as i could(any Horseman worth his saddle knows a good Horse-whistle, just in case your mount wander's off) to get her attention and flag her down...
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Lady Marigold Albrect

She had been scanning the top level of the Portal's expansive girth for members of the nobility with whom to make a 'good show' appearance. She quickly determined there was no one with whom she could stomach consorting right now. The loud whistle drew her attention but it took a moment for full recognition to set in. She had met so many people, learned so many names, that the two who met her during the most tumultuous night of her life, and even traveled the remainder of the journey with, was jarring in the wake of the tidal wave of changes.

Ultimately she smiled warmly and glided in the direction of their table, spinning to avoid a man rising suddenly and ducking out of the way of an overburdened serving girl.

"Guardsman, Sister, it's a pleasure to see you again." she says, nodding to Marco, then Autumn. She looks to Delphne, "I'm not sure we've had the pleasure." she says smoothly.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"Delphne Brookesbed, M'lady," Delphne stands and overs her hand to the lady. "We would be pleased to enjoy your presence as there seems not to be an open table in the Portal tonight. Perhaps you can raise the discourse to something worthy of discussion." She says something unusual and gestures toward a chair that slides out from under the table by itself. "Please, sit."

(OOC: she casts mage hand to slide the chair out.)
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Vivid- can you please make a single d20 roll for me? I'm just looking for the extremes.
At the loud whistle, a few people turn to look over at Marco with dirty looks, giving a quite deliberte glares silently demanding explanation.

But more telling, a few others, reach down for their belts, startling and looking around with a wary eye.

Most telling, a well dressed young woman of copper skin and quite literally hair aflame, puts her own fingers to her bee puckered lips to give out her own sharp whistle, distinct but very similar. She gazes towards Marco's eyes a moment, her bright eyes twinkling like evening stars, before she turns back to her table.

As the group starts to settle down around the table, meeting with friends, if not acquaintances, Autumn, you take notice of a small group two tables over- far enough that it would take some time to wind through the crowd, but not far as the barfly flies. While it's hard to really get a good view of them, dark clothing against a generally dim room, the tension of their voices starts to rise. Will cooler heads prevail from that direction or will violence mar that night? Something about this tension differs, even from the generally jovial threats from the gambling barbarians over in the corner with their casual threats of eternal torment.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Lady Marigold Albrect

If she was caught off-guard (either surprise OR impressed) by the casual magic use she doesn't show it through carefully schooled reactions. She smiles. "Lady Marigold Albrect." She says, extending to grasp-then-release the proffered hand. "I met these two after an unfortunate encounter on the road to Waterdeep. They were the height of gallantry and timeliness." she praises before settling to the table.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Vivid wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:28 am Lady Marigold Albrect

If she was caught off-guard (either surprise OR impressed) by the casual magic use she doesn't show it through carefully schooled reactions. She smiles. "Lady Marigold Albrect." She says, extending to grasp-then-release the proffered hand. "I met these two after an unfortunate encounter on the road to Waterdeep. They were the height of gallantry and timeliness." she praises before settling to the table.
Marco Brennakovic
HIT POINTS= 12 ARMOR CLASS= 17(Half-plate+Large Shield) PASSIVE PERC.=13

Shaking my head slightly, i say aloud
"Nein, gnadige frau, we did nothing of any import.The good Schwester Autumn and i only did the right thing. It was sad we could not get there in time to stop the trottel räubers from felling most of your travelling begleiter. How is the alt Senshal doing now, better i hope?..."
Last edited by MacynSnow on Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Delphne Brookesbed

"Marco, how have you not told me you met a lovely Lady on the road? Were you worried I might be jealous?" Delphne says with a wink.
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Post by Gunmetal_Rainbow »

Autumn Dämmerung
HP: 9/9 | AC: 18 | Darkvision: 300ft
Passive Perception/Insight: 15

Autumn tunes out a little, her attention grabbed by the table sandwiching their neighbor table. Something about the atmosphere over there felt out of sync for the room. She blinks back to the present, looking over at Marco and Marigold, her cheeks pinkening a little. "Cmon you lot...I said don' call me sister 'r sweater.." (Referring to "schwester" of Marco's dialect) "Jus' Autumn's fine, I dun' care much fer the fur-malladies." (Formalities)

The cleric glances back over towards the other table and gives Marco's sleeve a tug and points, subtly. "Looks like somethin's up o'er there. See, nex' table after the nex' one here? It don' quite match the same kinda whatcha call it? Like...when yer pa stubs his toe and bounces about yellin', compared ta a highwayman on the road demandin' yer coin or yer life. That seems more like the highwayman o'er there."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Gunmetal_Rainbow wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:07 am Autumn Dämmerung
HP: 9/9 | AC: 18 | Darkvision: 300ft
Passive Perception/Insight: 15

The cleric glances back over towards the other table and gives Marco's sleeve a tug and points, subtly. "Looks like somethin's up o'er there. See, nex' table after the nex' one here? It don' quite match the same kinda whatcha call it? Like...when yer pa stubs his toe and bounces about yellin', compared ta a highwayman on the road demandin' yer coin or yer life. That seems more like the highwayman o'er there."
Marco Brennakovic
HIT POINTS= 12 ARMOR CLASS= 17 Passive Perception/Insight=13

i felt Autumn's tug on and, looking subtly where she pointed could see what she talking about. As a Patroller, you learn to spot certain 'tell's' that Highwaymen tends to use & it was fairly obvious(leastwise to me) what was going to happen if we didn't intude. Leaning forward slightly, i lower my voice as i say "Delphen, look over my Right shoulder and tell me if you too see a dummkopf räuber at that table..."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Delphne Brookesbed

"Eddie Mocker?" Delphne says. "Yeah, he's a pickpocket. Not a good one unless the mark is drunk. Very drunk."