DEAD Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, Ch 1b: Blood in the Streets

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Spectrum

Re: Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, Ch 1: A Friend in Need

Post by Spectrum »

Things move quickly, difficult to tell exactly what happens when and where and by whom..

Penelope continues to beat her little wings as fast as she can back to her familiar. Along the way, the stirges behind her get repeatedly struck by the chill of the grave, the breath of fire, the random arrow. Soon it becomes a game, a contest, throughout the room as their are drunken roars of betting, for and against the small bird and the aiming skills among the group.

Almost as quickly, the troll gains attention. The drunken barbarians (bar-barians? bro-barians?) let out a roar as they pelt the troll with plates and mugs, small rocks. Finally, they find something that succeeds, upending a pale ale over the beasties' head and following that up with a torch. The screaming of the troll echoes up through the tunnel.

Only to be drowned out by the roars of the drunken heroes in the room!

Much closer, Penelope has landed upon her familiar's hood and has begun to peck, digging her talons into the hood and showing that she is quite displeased!

Volo has settled into one of the seats at the party's table, sipping from a fine crystal glass rather than the more common mug.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Delphne Brookesbed
HP: 10/10, AC: 15, Darkvision: 60 ft.

No one notices Delphne returning to the edge of the pit. She holds one of her short swords casually, hoping to protect anyone who needs if anything manages to escape the pit. But otherwise she wins/loses a few silvers in the various betting that was taking place around her.

(OOC: Want me to roll something to see how she does at the betting? How about I roll a d20, high means she ultimately placed successful bets, low means she lost some silver. You decide how much is the right amount, up to 10 or so. She doesn't go nuts. Wisdom bonus is +0, Int +2 in case they influence the result:Gambling luck: 1D20 = [19] = 19 Wow. Entirely up to Spectrum if that means anything.)
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Post by Gunmetal_Rainbow »

Autumn Dämmerung
HP: 9/9 | AC: 18 | Darkvision: 300ft
Passive Perception/Insight: 15

Autumn winces at the troll being doused with ale and lit aflame now that it was close enough to reveal its monstrous nature. She'd learned from Dallas if it was a monster and came from underground, it was probably best avoided if possible, slain if necessary, but mostly best avoided. While there were some intelligent creatures underground, they generally had some way to let you know they were intelligent, like drow, who were best avoided underground.

All the same, she dons her shield, ready to sling spells of divine prominence upon any of the clearly aggressive winged things if they got within her spell range.
Both cantrips have 60ft range, I'll use Toll the Dead, so the creature needs a Wisdom save (DC13) or takes 1d8 damage (1d12 if it's already damaged from anything else). This is mostly just so she's doing something during the fracas.
Once the threat has abated, Autumn returns to the group and sits, feeling a mite bit pink in the cheeks for the near blunder. She sees Volo having taken upresidence at their bench table and offers the stranger a friendly greeting. "Oh, hey there."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Spectrum wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:32 pm Things move quickly, difficult to tell exactly what happens when and where and by whom..

Penelope continues to beat her little wings as fast as she can back to her familiar. Along the way, the stirges behind her get repeatedly struck by the chill of the grave, the breath of fire, the random arrow. Soon it becomes a game, a contest, throughout the room as their are drunken roars of betting, for and against the small bird and the aiming skills among the group.

Almost as quickly, the troll gains attention. The drunken barbarians (bar-barians? bro-barians?) let out a roar as they pelt the troll with plates and mugs, small rocks. Finally, they find something that succeeds, upending a pale ale over the beasties' head and following that up with a torch. The screaming of the troll echoes up through the tunnel.

Only to be drowned out by the roars of the drunken heroes in the room!

Much closer, Penelope has landed upon her familiar's hood and has begun to peck, digging her talons into the hood and showing that she is quite displeased!

Volo has settled into one of the seats at the party's table, sipping from a fine crystal glass rather than the more common mug.
Marco Brennakovic
HP-12 AC-15 INIT--1 Passive Perc./Insight-14

i gently nudge my Priesterin (Priestess) friend to let her know that no harm was done.As i start to feed the small Eule(Owl) pieces of meat from my plate as a reward for it's bravery, i say to Herr(Sir) Volothamp
"So what is this Problem you have Herr(Sir) Volo, and how may we Help with it?"
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Lady Marigold Albrect
HP: 8 | AC 16 (Mage Armor) | PP 10, Darkvision 120' | Inspiration ?

Lady Albrect likewise resumes her seat and listens attentively as the conversation unfolds.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Delphne gets a few groans from the boisterous bruiser barbarians, a couple of well meaning but gruff mutterings. "You did well girly. A bet's a bet and you won your prize, even if you cheated." not that there is any real heat behind the words. Of course, a non barbarian would have to have cheated, its only 'fair'. A massive hamhock of a hand dangles a coin purse over Delphne's hand, dropping out a small pile of assorted coins (about a gold in total) with a bit of collected deterius. "Now you have to buy us a drink, now don't you?" The grin comes forth from under the beard, showing off a single blued tooth rather proudly.

Meanwhile, back at the table..

Penelope stops pecking upon the hood long enough to flutter up her feathers, looking all pretty, before daintily gobbling up the offered treats. Her feet beating upon the hood. "We shooould, we shooooould be goooooing." As the small odd persons starts to step away again, the bottom of the robe brushing across the floor without seeming to be jostled.
Must not distract from plot with character development... ack!
Volo straightens up in his chair, preening as much as Penelope, at having been recognized, and properly, well.. mostly properly by the correct name.

He pauses a moment, stroking his mustache, adjusting his fine floppy hat, and adjusts the scarf, before he starts in with grandiose pomposity.

“Volothamp Geddarm, chronicler, wizard, and celebrity, at your service. I trust you’ve noted the violence in our fair city these past tendays. I haven’t seen so much blood since my last visit to Baldur’s Gate! But now I fear I have misplaced a friend amid this odious malevolence.

“My friend’s name is Floon Blagmaar. He’s got more beauty than brains, and I worry he took a bad way home a couple nights ago and was kidnapped — or worse. If you agree to track him down with all due haste, I can offer you ten dragons (ed: 10 gold) apiece now, and I can give you each ten times that when you find Floon. May I prevail upon you in my hour of need?”
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"Sure," Delphne says to the barbarians. "Barkeep, give these four... gentlemen a round on me. Not the good stuff, though." She adds with a laugh. "My own drink calls me. Pleasure doing business with you." With a bow, she returns to her seat just as Volo starts his story.
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Post by Gunmetal_Rainbow »

Autumn Dämmerung
HP: 9/9 | AC: 18 | Darkvision: 300ft
Passive Perception/Insight: 15

Autumn listens at Volo explains his case. "Ah, certainly, at least I'd be happy t' try n' find yer friend. My name's Autumn."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Marco Brennakovic
HP-12 AC-15 PROF.-+2 Passive Perception/Insight-14

as my new Zauber Freund(Magic Friend) attempts to leave, i simply plop him down into a nearby chair i pulled over with my foot.As i flag Frau(Miss) Bonnie down, i say quietly to him(So's not to Disturbed Herr(Sir) Volo's tale)
"I owe you at least a meal for the Hilfe(Help) you gave and would at least know your name..."

i raise my voice(enough to be heard at the table), i say
"Where was the last place you saw your Begleiter(Companion)? We(i point to myself, Autumn & Marigold) just arrived in the city last week, but our Freund Fuhren(Friendly Guide) here(i'll point to Delphen) can eaily take us to where you last saw him..."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"Also what's he look like? Tall? Short? Etc." Delphne asks.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Lady Marigold Albrect

Lady Marigold hesitates to agree. Everything she did was through a lens of how it could honor the memory of her friend and patron whos identity she now held. Would Marigold have done this? Probably not. It's not that her friend lacked courage in life. It's not that she lacked compassion for the plight of this Floon Blagmaar. She just would not have felt it her or her family's concern.
But another thought occurred to Marissa er... Marigold, she was changed by her encounter with the Dark Realm. She felt it. She had to get a handle on it and maybe an 'adventure' would help with that. And frankly, if things went terribly, she could use a stash of Gold of her own.

She listened.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Wisdom (Insight) DC10
Volvo is honest in his interest in the young man but might be exaggerating on how much he can pay.
Wisdom (Insight) DC15
Volvo's interest in the young man is a bit more than just as a simple friend. Something closer, or hopeful to be closer.
As Marco pulls the petite figure down to the long table, they let out a soft little hoot of surprise. Quite the look of shock coming into those massive bespectacled eyes. But they remain quiet for the moment, easily overshadowed by the passionate writer. "Thank yooooou."

Volvo nods slightly, appreciative of the interest in helping him find his friend. "Floon is a rather handsome young man, his mane glorious like the morning sun over fresh wheat, deep brown eyes that speak of the richest soil full of promise of life. A man of fine taste, he was dressed in the princliest of garb. The last we met, was two nights ago. We were drinking and merrymaking at the *a small cough* the Skewered Dragon, near the Dock Ward. You may wish to start your search there."
note for Marissa
, while you don't know of a 'Floon', the description does sound a bit familiar to a cousin of a cousin of a cousin of Lady Marigold. In fact, if pushed, the description that Volvo provides makes it more certain- Lord Renaer Neverember, son of Lord Dagult Neverember. Could the young Lord have adopted another name in his meetings at such a place?
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Marco Brennakovic
HP-12 AC-15 PROF.-+2 PASSIVE PERC./INSIGHT--14

I smile kindly at my new Freund(Friend) as i listen to Volo, growing more Besorgt(Concerned). I have a natural gift to tell when someone is lugen(Lying) to me. And Herr(Sir) Volo Suprisingly wasn't. While part of me that was My Vater's Sohn (Father's Son) wanted to leave immediately....

"I cannot speak for all of us Herr Volo, but i will do all i can to bring your "friend" back to you. But i ask;Why The Skewerd Dragon? it's avery dangerous place ..."
while my Begleiters(Companions) were giving their awnser's, i turn to speak to my little friend some more
"If you need a place to stay, your welcome to Bunk with me in my room as noone should sleep in the streets..."
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Lady Marigold Albrect

Lady Marigold frowns.
"Are you being forthright with us, Master Volo?" Lady Albrect asks, dark eyes piercing.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Delphne Brookesbed
HP: 10/10, AC: 15, Darkvision: 60 ft.

Insight: 1D20 = [14] = 14

"Any distinguishing marks? Scars? Tattoos? Piercing? Favored Clothing? Pins? Broaches? Etc." Delphne asks.