[OOC] Screaming Metal Vagabonds [M&M 3E] (Recruiting Closed)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Davies

[OOC] Screaming Metal Vagabonds [M&M 3E] (Recruiting Closed)

Post by Davies »

So I have this setting, and one of the things that's supposed to happen, there, in the current year is a group of super-powered aliens arriving on Earth to learn about how to be more superheroic. And this strikes me as a good basis for a campaign. A short campaign, ideally lasting for about six chapters, which should be enough to give all the characters some focus time and then wrap things up with a major event.

Would there be anyone interested in playing a role in such a series?

I know. I can't believe my temerity in trying this again either. :roll:

Edit: Apparently, there were a few people who were:

The UCP Praxis -- Flynnarrel
Pok' -- pathfinderq1
Yenova -- RainOnTheSun
Wissen -- MacynSnow
Last edited by Davies on Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:14 am, edited 6 times in total.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Re: Interest Check -- The Omega Men Meet Third Rock From The Sun [M&M 3E]

Post by MacynSnow »

You know me Davies, i'm ALWAYS up for a game! :D

Questions: are we the Houseguest's or the Host's fo this visit? What's the character PL either way? Anything specific you don't want in here?

And don't worry 'bout temerity, i grew-up in Kentucky so i know all 'bout "Mountain Goat Stubborness" :lol:
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

I'd try it out. I don't have any alien character ideas off the top of my head, but I'll think it over and see what comes to mind.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

I'd be interested as well.
Davies

Re:[OOC] Screaming Metal Vagabonds [M&M 3E] (Recruiting)

Post by Davies »

Okay, there's some interest.
MacynSnow wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:57 am Questions: are we the Houseguest's or the Host's fo this visit? What's the character PL either way? Anything specific you don't want in here?
You'll be playing the houseguests, a group of young aliens from the interstellar, multispecies resistance group known as the Last Men Standing. Characters should be built as PL 9, 135 points, using the house rules on the setting page. Skill bonuses should not exceed a character's PL+5. If you're interested in playing a robot, take a look at the character of Otodevol and use his powers as a model for what you should have.

One character, and only one, can be a human expatriate -- someone who either left or was taken from Earth years or decades ago, and is now returning as part of the group. Everyone, even the human expatriate, should take "Unfamiliar With Earth Culture" as one of their complications.
MacynSnow

Re: Re:[OOC] Screaming Metal Vagabonds [M&M 3E] (Recruiting)

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:11 pm Okay, there's some interest.
MacynSnow wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:57 am Questions: are we the Houseguest's or the Host's fo this visit? What's the character PL either way? Anything specific you don't want in here?
You'll be playing the houseguests, a group of young aliens from the interstellar, multispecies resistance group known as the Last Men Standing. Characters should be built as PL 9, 135 points, using the house rules on the setting page. Skill bonuses should not exceed a character's PL+5. If you're interested in playing a robot, take a look at the character of Otodevol and use his powers as a model for what you should have.

One character, and only one, can be a human expatriate -- someone who either left or was taken from Earth years or decades ago, and is now returning as part of the group. Everyone, even the human expatriate, should take "Unfamiliar With Earth Culture" as one of their complications.
Thank's Davies! I'll have someone up for review day-after-tommorow (i'll be busy giving Uncle Sam his dues all dat tommorow). I'm thinking "Young Rebel Adventurer Scientist", basically a more social version of Brainiac 5 from The Legion of Superheroes...
pathfinderq1

Re: [OOC] Screaming Metal Vagabonds [M&M 3E] (Recruiting)

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Should we expect to be on Earth for the duration? (or will we need to be spacewothy or have survival gear?)

If not, will be have a ship or do we need to buy one (either 1 person using Equipment, or everybody contributing some EP)?

Probably going to play against type, and look at a simple powerhouse type...
Davies

Post by Davies »

pathfinderq1 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:10 pm Should we expect to be on Earth for the duration? (or will we need to be spacewothy or have survival gear?)
You will be on Earth for the duration, arriving by ship in the opening chapter. Don't waste your budget on a ship, but having personal life support might be a good idea.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Sooooo. This is by no means a final idea, but when I saw there was a Billie Zane in the setting, I started thinking about a Peacekeeper in it, too, and I turned it over in the back of my head when I was thinking about Mutants and Masterminds. It also became part of my thinking about defense and toughness shifted characters, and the Interpose advantage. It wasn't going to be an alien, but the main beats of the background convert weirdly well, and, well, I always thought Finn was robbed in the new Star Wars movies, so...

I'm thinking that Yenova was born on some distant Technate colony, and when her mutant qualities became obvious, she was shunned for them. Not chased out, exactly, but it was made very clear to her as a child that she should live... elsewhere, and only visit the main colony for supplies. That's probably the only reason she survives when the Dark Side attacks her colony. She's given the option to join the Dark Side, as sometimes happens with promising individuals, and she accepts. Not because of any dreams of avenging her colony from within, but just because she doesn't want to die. She didn't have any great affection for the colony, anyway, and actually being wanted for something is a new and exciting experience.

This doesn't last long, of course. The Dark Side isn't just another army, after all, they're about as close to pure evil as you're ever likely to find, and she can't handle it at all. The first chance she gets to defect, she jumps on it, and she stays with the Last Men Standing afterwards because she's committed, now. Daath isn't going to just forgive a deserter, after all.

(It's actually very likely that the Dark Side has better things to do than hunt down and kill every deserter, but Yenova is a bit of a worrier.)

This is all very tentative right now, especially if someone else is interested in playing a powerhouse character, but I wanted to get it out while it was fresh.
Davies

Post by Davies »

... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: <maniacal laughter ensues>
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Okay. I did a quick design pass and I think I have the basics in place- I'll get started posting the details tomorrow.

Basic concept is some sort of alien, from a heavy-G world- high STR and durability, a little bit of increased density, that sort of thing. Her people are mostly miners and very rarely leave the planet (or even their small villages)- but she has always had an unnatural degree of wanderlust. She left home at a young age (and is still fairly young- functionally late teens for a human) and has never looked back. For the most part she takes starship crew work, since she can act as heavy equipment. During a long (for her) stint on one space station she started doing some bouncer/ security work and found that she liked defending and protecting people- which led to "heroing"...

The character is more than a little inspired by Korg, from Thor: Ragnorack.
Last edited by pathfinderq1 on Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Sounds good.

Belated realization: Everybody should probably have at least a few ranks of Expertise: Galactic, which covers knowledge of aliens and interstellar polities. And you might want to include a Translator Circuit: Comprehend Languages 2 (understand and speak any language) - 6 points, too.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Is that something we could buy with Equipment?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Hm. I usually have NPCs buy it as a power, but if you're okay with it suffering equipment failure ...
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Would you allow a PL trade of PL8 150pp?
"Something pithy this way comes."