[IC] Screaming Metal Vagabonds: Chapter 1 -- The Cool Green Hills of Earth

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
RainOnTheSun

Re: [IC] Screaming Metal Vagabonds: Chapter 1 -- The Cool Green Hills of Earth

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Yenova
HP: 1
CND: Relaxed

Yenova sits down next to the Hesperan who surrendered. "Hi," she says. She waves. "So, this Talante... I'm guessing that now that she's back, she thinks she should be in charge? And a lot of other people think so too?"
Davies

Post by Davies »

Yenova wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:52 am "Hi," she says. She waves. "So, this Talante... I'm guessing that now that she's back, she thinks she should be in charge? And a lot of other people think so too?"
She takes a moment to weigh her words, and then nods. "Yes," she says. "In my great-grandmother's time, during the last --" She breaks off, looks around in obvious distress, then continues, shame tinging her words. "-- the previous civil war, she was the leader of those who fought to overthrow the Mad Queen, whose name has been damned to memory. After her victory, the Oracles proclaimed Talante to be the Queen, but she soon showed that, though not as depraved as the former queen, she was every bit as cruel and arbitrary. Before a new civil war could break out, though, she vanished, and a new Queen was chosen in her place." She takes a breath before continuing, then has some sort of realization. "I am called Najobe," she says.

"Even before Talante emerged, there was conflict, argument, among our people over whether Sharana's time as Queen had passed. But when she proclaimed herself this morning, saying that she had never been deposed and thus remained Queen even now, some swore themselves to her banner and began to attack those who would not submit, both those who support Sharana and her daughter Nzarde. They, we, fought back ... but it is all so pointless. The Oracles choose the Queen, and they do not do so based on the deeds of those who follow her, but in communion with Those Who Watch."

"And if you believe dat, dere's a bridge I wanna sell you," says Zloba, quietly enough that Najobe doesn't hear. Or at least chooses not to hear.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Wissen(Taxaud)
HP-0 CND-Fine

Looking at Zloba in mild wonderment, Wissen say's
"I can't believe i'm uttering this, but you honestly did a Good thing by bringing Talante forward in time Zloba...."
He'll introduce the other's to Najobe(starting with Yenova and ending with himself) before he continues
"ignoring the whole Oracle issue for now(Religion is a subject i avoid, as all of it's poppycock in my personal opinion), how long has she Actually been in this Timeframe? Zloba, how long ago was your Timeportal experiment? Depending on how long it's been, we may have an advantage..."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

The Praxis
HP:1|CND: Fine
Scanners: Vision gains Extended 2, Analytical (facial recognition), Radius; Hearing Gains extended 1,

"Not to press matters but we are in the open out here, in the midst of a pitched battle. I respect the desire for information, but it may be safer if we head, maybe, in to a building?" Trent proposes. "I can indicate the one we saw that might have one of established leaders."
"Something pithy this way comes."
Davies

Post by Davies »

Wissen wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:51 am "I can't believe i'm uttering this, but you honestly did a Good thing by bringing Talante forward in time Zloba...."
Zloba beams in response. "He's so much nicer than you!" she directs guess where.

"Please don't encourage her," says Trouble.

Before Zloba can respond to that, or to Wissen's question, Captain Trent speaks up.
Captain Trent wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:45 am "Not to press matters but we are in the open out here, in the midst of a pitched battle. I respect the desire for information, but it may be safer if we head, maybe, in to a building?" Trent proposes. "I can indicate the one we saw that might have one of established leaders."
"That is an option," agrees Trouble. "However, since we now why the condition of 'everybody's fighting, and things are on fire' developed, we can declare that mission a success. What mission should follow from that? What will you do?"
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Wissen(Taxaud?)
HP-0 CND-Fine

Running a hand through his Blonde Mullet, Wissen say's
"While i personally Loath the thought of interfering in what's obviously a Political issue, we can't just leave this situation as is. "
Turning to Najobe, the Uplifted asked her
"Najobe, just how bad would it be if Talante managed to take the Throne back?..."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

The Praxis
Scanners: Vision gains Extended 2, Analytical (facial recognition), Radius; Hearing Gains extended 1,

Davies wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:07 am "That is an option," agrees Trouble. "However, since we now why the condition of 'everybody's fighting, and things are on fire' developed, we can declare that mission a success. What mission should follow from that? What will you do?"
"Part of our assigned mission was to meet up with Nereus." Trent reminds, "but that's pedantry at this point. Not only would I rarely report a problem without a proposed solution or two, the fact that a country is in turmoil and people are dying doesn't sit well with me either. I've seen too many wars not to have the instinct reaction to assist where I was able."
"My inclination would be to gather more information. For example, why does Sharana not want to step down and honor the choice of the oracles? Have these Oracles even chosen? Nzarde? Can a peaceful settlement between the three parties be reached or even, and this would take a greater tactical assessment but IF two sides join forces could they quell the third and end the fighting? I have a preference of course, a returned queen who's shown herself 'cruel and arbitrary' in the annals of history seems like she'd create unrest in the world at large, but I recognize it's not my choice here."
"To that end, I also recognize I do not have authority here. This world nor these people are part of the United Coalition of Planets, the body authorizing my peace-keeping endeavors, so, absolutely we can call in to Headquarters with what we've learned so far, outline a plan to learn more and offer to follow it. But if Paragon, or another member of the established authority,"
Trent nods to Trouble, "reassigns us, we should go elsewhere and trust they have better ways to address the situation regardless of any personal feelings in the matter." That last was directed to the other 'Vagabonds'.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Yenova
HP: 1
CND: Reluctant

Yenova stands back up. "Getting involved in a civil war in a place you know nothing about is bad. Right? It's really bad. It's not my decision, I just do what I'm told, but if it was my decision? We'd tell Mr. Paragon that there was a civil war going on, and then we'd find whoever sent out the distress signal and we'd get out." She looks at Najobe. "Um, sorry."
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Pok'

While the others debated the situation and how to handle it, Pok' kept quiet, watching the area around them for further threats. The situation was, to say the least, complicated, and they were after all still in the middle of an active civil war.

>OOC: Checking in. Nothing constructive to add right now- will put in a Perception check later (if things haven't evolved enough to make it unnecessary).
Davies

Post by Davies »

Wissen wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:26 am "Najobe, just how bad would it be if Talante managed to take the Throne back?..."
"When she proclaimed herself, she said that the outer world had grown interesting enough to be worth conquering," Najobe replies. "I think it would be very bad, for both us and you."
Yenova wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:53 pm "Getting involved in a civil war in a place you know nothing about is bad. Right? It's really bad. It's not my decision, I just do what I'm told, but if it was my decision? We'd tell Mr. Paragon that there was a civil war going on, and then we'd find whoever sent out the distress signal and we'd get out." She looks at Najobe. "Um, sorry."
She shrugs. "It is our problem, and not yours. Yet," she adds.

A flicker of what might almost look like guilt passes over Zloba's face when she hears Yenova's opinion, but it quickly vanishes. "Um, you asked when all dis started? I did the t'ing about twelve hours ago, and den spent t'ree hours trying to fix de doohickey, a little while getting out of de way of people trying to stab me, and den hid for a while longer."
Captain Trent wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:13 am "Part of our assigned mission was to meet up with Nereus." Trent reminds, "but that's pedantry at this point. Not only would I rarely report a problem without a proposed solution or two, the fact that a country is in turmoil and people are dying doesn't sit well with me either. I've seen too many wars not to have the instinct reaction to assist where I was able."
"My inclination would be to gather more information. For example, why does Sharana not want to step down and honor the choice of the oracles? Have these Oracles even chosen? Nzarde? Can a peaceful settlement between the three parties be reached or even, and this would take a greater tactical assessment but IF two sides join forces could they quell the third and end the fighting? I have a preference of course, a returned queen who's shown herself 'cruel and arbitrary' in the annals of history seems like she'd create unrest in the world at large, but I recognize it's not my choice here."
"To that end, I also recognize I do not have authority here. This world nor these people are part of the United Coalition of Planets, the body authorizing my peace-keeping endeavors, so, absolutely we can call in to Headquarters with what we've learned so far, outline a plan to learn more and offer to follow it. But if Paragon, or another member of the established authority,"
Trent nods to Trouble, "reassigns us, we should go elsewhere and trust they have better ways to address the situation regardless of any personal feelings in the matter." That last was directed to the other 'Vagabonds'.
"As I said earlier, I don't consider myself to have any authority over you," Trouble says quietly. "I'm just here to supervise and assist you in doing what you decide to do. My own personal feelings are that I want to find out what has happened to my friends, and help them if they need it. But personal is not the same as important, and I'm not sure that it's right to drag you through several more battles like that last one, just to reach someone who might be able to answer those unanswered questions."

"So if you could avoid dat, it would be a good t'ing?" asks Zloba. "I would be doing good if I helped you do avoid dat? Where's dis building at?"

Trouble is once more nonplussed by this interruption. (She reacts oddly to Zloba, it seems.) "Uh, the Captain indicated it was about one hundred meters in that direction," she says, precisely following the heading that the Praxis gave earlier.

Zloba promptly produces some sort of hand-held device, looking a bit like a communicator, and taps on its surface with her thumb. With a hiss, a glowing circle appears in the air before you, with a darkened room beyond it. You can hear voices raised in surprise through it. "Portal," she says shortly. "I'm helping!" she adds to Wissen.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Wissen(Taxaud?)
HP-0 CND-Fine

Keeping his Blaster drawn, The Medical drones will start re-forming around the young Uplifted, 'Dressing' him in what looks like an old styled Technate Duelist outfit. Nodding his head to Captain Trent and the other's, he say to Zloba
"You most certainly are Miss Zloba. And as a reward forcontinuing to help us to solve this issue, i'll give you the Translation primer needed for the blueprints i gave you, as sadly their in Senshai a VERY foreign language..."
OOC: i'll switch the Nanite Colony over to this before walking through the portal, Blaster drawn but pointed down...
"GREEN DEFENDER"(CLOSE COMBAT MODE): 15point cost
Protection: 2, Enhanced STR: 3
Enhanced FGT: 2, Close Attack(Advantage): 3
Last edited by MacynSnow on Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

The Praxis
Scanners: Vision gains Detect teleportation descriptor, Analytical(threats to biology or technology), Distance Sense, Direction sense
Danger Sense

With a glance Trent directs a scan of the portal to make sure it won't adversely interact with the ship's systems or crew. And to verify it went where she said it goes.

"You may not accept authority, Trouble, but we *are* visitors on your planet without knowledge of precedent or standard operating procedures for the Powerhouse." Trent says. "If you're asking what we should do if you weren't here I'd say we should report in what we know to Paragon, make known our desire to continue inquiries and our vague plan for doing so, then solicit his advice and feedback."

He looks to his other vagabonds, "I'd welcome your input, but I also think we're exposed out here in the open." He then shares what he's learned of the portal their helpful frenemy created.
Davies

Post by Davies »

The Praxis: The portal will not have much of an affect on the ship or crew, but your readings suggest that who passes through it will be mildly disoriented. You can also perceive that it opens up in a room about about the location you observed earlier.

Trouble doesn't say anything in response to your words. She just shakes her head a bit, glances suspiciously at Zloba, then walks towards and through the portal.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:01 am Trouble doesn't say anything in response to your words. She just shakes her head a bit, glances suspiciously at Zloba, then walks towards and through the portal.
Wissen(Taxaud?)
HP-0 CND-Fine

Wissen say's to the other Vagabond's before he enter's the Portal
"Before my body i throw my Warlike Shield.Lay on Macduff, and Damned he who first Cries 'Hold, Enough!'-Macbeth, act five, scene Seven. Coming?..."
And the young uplifted will step through.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Praxis, Yenova, Pok': As Wissen passes through the portal behind Trouble, Nayobe slowly comes to her feet. "I would accompany you, if you would permit this," she says to the hologram of Captain Trent. "I think I must witness this, however it ends."

Wissen: You emerge in a darkened room with a wooden floor and walls, the only light coming from the window. You can hear fighting, much more intense fighting than you've already encountered, not too far away. The room is dominated by a table covered in maps, and a collection of eight Hesperan soldiers arrayed in a protective wall between the portal and a woman who is clearly the individual known as Ashaka from the pictures you saw. She is regarding your arrival, specifically Trouble's arrival, with a dubious expression.

"Oh," she says. "It's you."

That's all you hear before a wave of dizziness assails you.
You're Vulnerable for a moment. So is anyone who passes through the portal behind you. I'll let you know when it ends.