Justice League Reserves (M&M2e, recruiting done)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Miracle

Re: Justice League Reserves (M&M2e, recruiting)

Post by Miracle »

CaptainChaos wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:24 pm Quick question, is the Wildstorm character Apollo in this universe/on this Earth?
Yeah. As it says in the first post, this Earth is based on the Prime Earth and Rebirth continuities. While Apollo hasn't been seen in a long while (2017, after a dig through DC Database), he's still there!
CaptainChaos

Re: Justice League Reserves (M&M2e, recruiting)

Post by CaptainChaos »

Thanks. I checked online and ot said he was part of the new continuity but I just wanted to verify it. I am considering a hero based on Apollo with similar powers but vastly different background.
Miracle

Re: Justice League Reserves (M&M2e, recruiting until 1 March)

Post by Miracle »

I hadn't put the deadline in the title yet. There you go. Have a character submitted by then and you're in consideration!
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

I was working on the build last night and really didn't like how it was turning out so I started on another idea. A child of Vulcan or Hephaestus.
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

The fact that I read that as Vulcan and Hephaestus and didn't question it says something about Gods. Or just me.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

I am sure the Justice League is a pyramid scheme..
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

So I revised my submission background (After reading a bit more about the Rebirth changes- wow, does this continuity-twisting make my head hurt). Fundamentally done with the "fluff" portion. Michelle is still young and idealistic, chosen more for her attitude and her potential than for massive power or extraordinary experience (PL8/150). She is now explicitly NOT a pseudo-Kryptonian, she is a metahuman who inherited an improved version of her father's power-set. She may also be friends with Jon Kent who is of a similar age (again, if I'm reading the continuity shifts right- supposedly as of a 2019 arc, he was aged up to 17 at that point).

I'm waffling a bit between two power-sets. First is the original idea, of very Kryptonian-analogue powers: Superstrength, flight, invulnerability, enhanced speed and senses (currently mostly in an array). The other idea shifts her further from the Kryptonian ideal (And any comparisons to such)- she has many of the same powers but sourced from tactile TK instead; this version lacks the spectrum of enhanced senses (but may develop a 'TK-radar' sense in the future). Any preference?

Also, should I make a new post with the build/revised background, or edit the old one?
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Here is my build. I am still working on complications and the background. Comments welcome.

Flamebird

Power Level: 8; Power Points Spent: 150/150

Abilities:
STR: +2 (14), DEX: +2 (14), CON: +2 (14), INT: +2 (14), WIS: +0 (10), CHA: +1 (12)

Saves:
Tough: +8, Fort: +8, Ref: +8, Will: +6

Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+6), Bluff 4 (+5), Climb 4 (+6), Concentration 4 (+4), Craft (Smithing) 12 (+14), Diplomacy 4 (+5), Gather Information 4 (+5), Knowledge (current events) 4 (+6), Knowledge (history) 8 (+10), Knowledge (theology & philosophy) 8 (+10), Notice 8 (+8), Search 4 (+6), Sense Motive 4 (+4), Swim 4 (+6)

Feats: Attack Focus (melee) 3, Attack Focus (ranged) 3, Dodge Focus 3, Elusive Target, Endurance 2 (+8), Equipment 4, Evasion 2, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Precise Shot, Quick Change

Powers:
Armor (Device 5) (Hard to lose)
Divine Strength (Super-Strength 3) (+15 STR carry capacity, heavy load: 1.4k lbs; +3 STR to some checks)
Impervious Toughness 8
Wings (Flight 5) (Speed: 250 mph, 2200 ft./rnd)
Divine communication (Comprehend 2) (languages - understand all, languages - you're understood)
Divine Immunities (Immunity 6) (condition: Heat, damage type: Fire)
Divine senses (Super-Senses 3) (awareness: Divine, infravision, low-light vision)
Divine storage (Dimensional Pocket 2) (Capacity: 250 lbs., DC 12)
Fire bolts (Element Control 8) (element: fire)
AE: Heat Vision (Blast 8) (Alternate; DC 23)
AE: Turn up the heat (Environmental Control 5) (Alternate; heat, heat (extreme), Radius: 100 ft.)
Protection 6 (+6 Toughness)

Equipment: Cell Phone, Large Composite Shield, Multi-Tool, Sword, Toolkit (Basic)

Attack Bonus: +5 (Ranged: +8, Melee: +8, Grapple: +10/+13)

Attacks: Divine storage (Dimensional Pocket 2), +8 (DC Ref/Will 12), Heat Vision (Blast 8), +8 (DC 23), Sword, +8 (DC 20), Unarmed Attack, +8 (DC 17)

Defense: +8 (Flat-footed: +1), Knockback: -8

Initiative: +6

Drawbacks: Vulnerable, uncommon, minor, Cold attacks, Vulnerable, uncommon, minor, Electrical attacks

Languages: English

Totals: Abilities 18 + Skills 19 (76 ranks) + Feats 22 + Powers 61 + Combat 14 + Saves 18 - Drawbacks 2 = 150
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

pathfinderq1 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:37 am So I revised my submission background (After reading a bit more about the Rebirth changes- wow, does this continuity-twisting make my head hurt). Fundamentally done with the "fluff" portion. Michelle is still young and idealistic, chosen more for her attitude and her potential than for massive power or extraordinary experience (PL8/150). She is now explicitly NOT a pseudo-Kryptonian, she is a metahuman who inherited an improved version of her father's power-set. She may also be friends with Jon Kent who is of a similar age (again, if I'm reading the continuity shifts right- supposedly as of a 2019 arc, he was aged up to 17 at that point).

I'm waffling a bit between two power-sets. First is the original idea, of very Kryptonian-analogue powers: Superstrength, flight, invulnerability, enhanced speed and senses (currently mostly in an array). The other idea shifts her further from the Kryptonian ideal (And any comparisons to such)- she has many of the same powers but sourced from tactile TK instead; this version lacks the spectrum of enhanced senses (but may develop a 'TK-radar' sense in the future). Any preference?

Also, should I make a new post with the build/revised background, or edit the old one?
Yeah, DC flips the continuity hard every 10ish years. Not saying it's good or bad, but I do enjoy keeping up with the changes. Like now. Future State/Infinite Frontier is going to be the new continuity. Which is supposed to say "to hell" with continuity in the first place. Making story take precedence over continuity. Like DCYou on a much larger scale.

Either character idea works. But lock it in before Monday night. This thread is just a scratchpad. Once recruiting is over, I'm going to migrate to an OOC thread.
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

CaptainChaos wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:23 am Here is my build. I am still working on complications and the background. Comments welcome.
Some mechanics are straight forward, but some you needto explain in character fluff or story.

CaptainChaos wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:23 am Flamebird

Abilities:
STR: +2 (14), DEX: +2 (14), CON: +2 (14), INT: +2 (14), WIS: +0 (10), CHA: +1 (12)
No questions here.
CaptainChaos wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:23 am Saves:
Perfectly fine.
CaptainChaos wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:23 am Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+6), Bluff 4 (+5), Climb 4 (+6), Concentration 4 (+4), Craft (Smithing) 12 (+14), Diplomacy 4 (+5), Gather Information 4 (+5), Knowledge (current events) 4 (+6), Knowledge (history) 8 (+10), Knowledge (theology & philosophy) 8 (+10), Notice 8 (+8), Search 4 (+6), Sense Motive 4 (+4), Swim 4 (+6)
Craft (Smithing) is not a skill. It's either artistic, chemical, electronic, mechanical, or structural. I'd go Structural in this case.
CaptainChaos wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:23 am Feats: Attack Focus (melee) 3, Attack Focus (ranged) 3, Dodge Focus 3, Elusive Target, Endurance 2 (+8), Equipment 4, Evasion 2, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Precise Shot, Quick Change
Base Attack is melee and ranged. So buying both Focuses is essentially buying Base Attack. So, while not wrong, I question this choice.
CaptainChaos wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:23 am Powers:
As I've said, some of these need explaining in character
CaptainChaos wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:23 am Armor (Device 5) (Hard to lose)
Divine Strength (Super-Strength 3) (+15 STR carry capacity, heavy load: 1.4k lbs; +3 STR to some checks)
Impervious Toughness 8
Wings (Flight 5) (Speed: 250 mph, 2200 ft./rnd)
You need to spend one more point in this Device. 6+8+10=24. Device 5 is 25 points.
CaptainChaos wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:23 am Divine communication (Comprehend 2) (languages - understand all, languages - you're understood)
Divine senses (Super-Senses 3) (awareness: Divine, infravision, low-light vision)
Divine Awareness with no modifiers is touch based. Unless you tie it to a sense, and then it's always on with that sense.
CaptainChaos wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:23 am Divine storage (Dimensional Pocket 2) (Capacity: 250 lbs., DC 12)
Fire bolts (Element Control 8) (element: fire)
AE: Turn up the heat (Environmental Control 5) (Alternate; heat, heat (extreme), Radius: 100 ft.)
Protection 6 (+6 Toughness)
straight forward stuff.
CaptainChaos wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:23 am Equipment: Cell Phone, Large Composite Shield, Multi-Tool, Sword, Toolkit (Basic)
1+9+1+5+1=17 you have 3 more points to spend here.

I will explain as I've done before, putting your attack and defense in Equipment is dangerous and Equipment gets broken without consequence. If it breaks, sorry, it was cheap.

Minot nitpick, I had to look up Tool Kit, and it has no explanation. it's mentioned three times in core. Twice under Disable Device and once under Sample Purchase Difficulties. So, what does this do that Multi-Tool doesn't? Mechanically, obviously, I know the difference between the two.
CaptainChaos wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:23 am Attack Bonus: +5 (Ranged: +8, Melee: +8, Grapple: +10/+13)

Attacks: Divine storage (Dimensional Pocket 2), +8 (DC Ref/Will 12), Heat Vision (Blast 8), +8 (DC 23), Sword, +8 (DC 20), Unarmed Attack, +8 (DC 17)

Defense: +8 (Flat-footed: +1), Knockback: -8
Note your knockback without shield, without dodge, and without both.
CaptainChaos wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:23 am Initiative: +6

Drawbacks: Vulnerable, uncommon, minor, Cold attacks, Vulnerable, uncommon, minor, Electrical attacks
I get cold, but electricity? Also, since these are just one offs, you might want to convert them into Complications.
CaptainChaos wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:23 am Languages: English
Why don't they speak Greek/Latin?
CaptainChaos wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:23 am Totals: Abilities 18 + Skills 19 (76 ranks) + Feats 22 + Powers 61 + Combat 14 + Saves 18 - Drawbacks 2 = 150
And done!
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking about the build this morning and was considering some changes. I will rework the build a bit tonight or tomorrow and add complications and backstory. The languages issue was a tough one so I went with the Comprehend power.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

I know mechanically it is all the same but I still get intimidated when someone says "my character is a GOD."
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Poodle wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:25 pm I know mechanically it is all the same but I still get intimidated when someone says "my character is a GOD."
"When someone asks you if you are a god, you say 'Yes'!" Still one of the top movies for gaming-appropriate quotes.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

pathfinderq1 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:43 pm
Poodle wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:25 pm I know mechanically it is all the same but I still get intimidated when someone says "my character is a GOD."
"When someone asks you if you are a god, you say 'Yes'!" Still one of the top movies for gaming-appropriate quotes.
All i'll say to this is "GET HER!" :lol: :lol:
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

I did some reworking of Flamebird build and added some complications and a background. Here is the latest version.

Flamebird
Secret Identity: Sandra Embrescia

Abilities:

Saves:

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+6), Bluff 4 (+5), Climb 4 (+6), Concentration 8 (+8), Craft (structural) 12 (+14), Diplomacy 4 (+5), Gather Information 4 (+5), Investigate 4 (+6), Knowledge (current events) 4 (+6), Knowledge (history) 8 (+10), Knowledge (theology & philosophy) 8 (+10), Language 4 (+4), Notice 8 (+8), Search 4 (+6), Sense Motive 8 (+8), Swim 4 (+6)

Feats:
Ambidexterity, Dodge Focus 3, Elusive Target, Endurance 2 (+8), Equipment 4, Evasion 2, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Precise Shot, Quick Change

Powers:
Divine communication (Comprehend 3) (languages - read all, languages - understand all, languages - you're understood; Broad Group (Humans))
Divine physiology (Protection 6) (+6 Toughness)
Divine senses (Super-Senses 2) (infravision, low-light vision)
Fire control (Element Control 8) (element: fire)
AE: Fire Bolts (Blast 8) (Alternate; DC 23)
Storage of the Gods (Dimensional Pocket 1) (Capacity: 100 lbs., DC 11)
Super-Strength 2 (+10 STR carry capacity, heavy load: 700 lbs; +2 STR to some checks)
Thermal flight (Flight 6) (Speed: 500 mph, 4400 ft./rnd)

Equipment: Camera, Cell Phone, Laptop Computer, Large Composite Shield, Multi-Tool, Sword

Attack Bonus: +8 (Ranged: +8, Melee: +8, Grapple: +10/+12)

Attacks: Fire Bolts (Blast 8), +8 (DC 23), Heat Vision (Blast 8), +8 (DC 23), Storage of the Gods (Dimensional Pocket 1), +8 (DC Ref/Will 11), Sword, +8 (DC 20), Unarmed Attack, +8 (DC 17)

Defense: +8, +5 without shield (Flat-footed: +1), Knockback: -4

Initiative: +6

Languages: English, French, Greek, Latin, Spanish

Totals: Abilities 18 + Skills 23 (92 ranks) + Feats 17 + Powers 54 + Combat 20 + Saves 18 + Drawbacks 0 = 150

Complications:

Secret Identity: If her secret identity was discovered, it would put her family and friends in danger.

Enemy: The god Ares. Hephaestus humiliated Ares when Ares was discovered sleeping with Aphrodite.

Enemy: Frostbite. The two have encountered each several times with Flamebird finally defeating her and sending her to prison.

Vulnerable: Flamebird is vulnerable to cold attacks and extreme non-environmental cold.

Vulnerable: Divine powers. Flamebird is vulnerable to the powers of other divine beings.

Relationships: Sandra is close to her parents, her best friend from childhood Emily Lucas, and her former mentor Curt Mancini. They are the only ones thus far that know what she can do and that she is the hero Flamebird. Sandra's mother Laura is a professor at a local university teaching ancient history and philosophy. Her father Douglas teaches Archeology and Anthropology at the same university.

Responsibility: Sandra has a small blacksmith and metalworking business. She makes daggers, swords, and various decorative items she sells to pay the bills. She also assists her father on occasion with archeological digs.

Backstory:

Sandra’s birth was the result of a one night stand her mother had while celebrating getting her Master’s degree. Her mother Laura met a quiet man at a party who was sitting alone. Feeling sorry for him, she went over and started talking to him. To her surprise, they shared a common interest in ancient history. They had a wonderful discussion and eventually she convinced him to go back to her place. In the morning he was gone and weeks later Laura discovered she was pregnant.

For the next few years Laura raised Sandra by herself. Sandra proved to be a bright girl and caused very little trouble. One day Laura met Douglas Embrescia. He was an archeologist that was teaching at the local university where Laura was working on her Doctorate. The two started dating when she was no longer in any of his classes. Within a couple of years they were married and he adopted Sandra.

As Sandra grew, her powers slowly manifested. It started with a resistance to being burned by fire or hot items. Her parents became concerned when Sandra took dinner out of the oven with using potholders. They didn’t understand how she could do that but realized they needed to have a talk with their daughter. They explained to her that she needed to hide any powers or abilities she gets because there were people that would come and take her away if they found out. They insisted she couldn’t tell anyone, even her best friend Emily.

Over the next several years Sandra was taught about archeology, history, ancient Greek and Roman gods, and many other subjects by her parents in addition to her lessons in school. During this time she also developed resistance to harm, became stronger, discovered she could control fires, and many other abilities. She told her parents about each new development. By the time Sandra was in her early teens, her parents had deduced who her biological father likely was. They explained what they discovered to Sandra along with supporting evidence. Sandra was shocked to find out she might be a demigod. How do you live up to the responsibility of such a thing? It took time before she finally accepted the truth and learned how to live with it.

Instead of attending college like her parents, Sandra got an apprenticeship with a blacksmith named Curt Mancini she got to know while attending ren-faires and cultural festivals. He was initially reluctant to take her on, believing she would not have the strength to handle the job. She pleaded with him to give her a chance, reminding him that it would not cost him anything to let her try. He agreed figuring he had nothing to lose. Sandra was a fast learner and enjoyed creating various items and traveling with her mentor to help sell them at comic cons, cultural festivals, and ren-faires. She took lessons in swordmanship during her trips to the ren-faires.

Her first heroic deed was an accident. She was driving home one night when a car sped past her before losing control and crashing down an embankment. She pulled over immediately and ran over to look over the edge. The car was horribly smashed and lying on its roof. She called emergency services first before carefully going down to see if the driver was alive. He seemed to be but Sandra noticed that gas was leaking. She didn’t know how long it would take for emergency personnel to arrive so she tried to open the car door. It was jammed but she kept pulling until it finally pulled free. She tossed it aside and carefully pulled the driver out and moved him away from the car. When the emergency personnel arrived, the car was ablaze. Sandra explained that she saw the accident and when she investigated, the driver had been thrown free of the car. She pulled him farther away when the car started to catch fire. They thanked her for her assistance and said she probably saved the driver’s life. She shrugged it off and said she had just done what anyone else would have.

The second time was when she was returning to apartment. There was a fire in a building down the block. The sirens from the fire engines could be heard approaching in the distance. Without thought and hesitation, Sandra sprinted down the block. Most of the residents had escaped safely but there was an elderly woman named Mrs Landry still inside. Bystanders pointed to an apartment on the third floor that was filled with smoke. A couple of men came out of the building and said it was too hot and smoky to try to rescue the woman. Sandra ran inside, easily ignoring the heat from the flames. She did her best to hold her breath from the smoke, only breathing occasionally. She made it to Mrs Landry’s apartment and helped the elderly woman down to the first floor. After she turned the woman over to the other residents, Sandra left the area as quickly as possible.

During the next few days, Sandra thought about all the good she could do with her abilities. She knew there were plenty of superheroes in the world with more becoming known every week. It also seemed as though an equal number of new villains showed up every week as well. She chalked it up to some sort of cosmic balance. She knew if she was going to do this part time, she would need a costume. She called her friend Emily, who designed clothing as a hobby while working as an Assistant Manager at a boutique. Sandra made a date to meet Emily at a nearby nature trail under the guise of going for a hike. Once they were alone, Sandra explained to her friend about the things she could do. Emily did not believe her until Sandra demonstrated a few of her powers. Sandra explained her intentions of becoming a costumed hero and that she needed Emily’s help with a costume. Emily agreed to help and suggested Sandra give her a couple of weeks to come up with something.

During that time, Sandra returned to the blacksmith shop to help out Curt. Curt brought her to the back room and showed her a strange parcel with odd writing on the label. Sandra recognized the writing as ancient Greek and that it was her name. She told Curt the package was addressed to her. Upon opening it, they discovered a couple of blocks of a strange looking metal. The two of them each picked one up noting it was lighter than expected. They performed a few tests and discovered it was very durable. Sandra told Curt there was something she needed to show him. She walked over to the oven and stuck her arm inside. Curt panicked and ran over. Sandra pulled her arm out and showed him she was unharmed. He asked what was going on and how is that possible. Was she one of those meta-humans? Sandra sat him down and explained who her biological father likely was and what she had discovered she could do. After she was done, Curt nodded and said it makes sense. It explained her natural ability with metalworking. Sandra told Curt about the rescues she had performed. He recalled reading about them. He asked if she planned on continuing to be a hero, at least part time. Sandra said she had been thinking about it recently and had decided she was going to be a costumed hero. She had already contacted someone about making a costume for her. Curt looked at the odd metal and thought for a while before announcing that they needed to make her a sword and shield. Since she already had some training with them, they might come in handy.

A couple of weeks later, the world, or at least the city and state, were introduced to the newest hero Flamebird when she stopped a mugging and a convenience store robbery in one night. Granted, they weren’t big crimes, but it was a start. Over the next several months, Flamebird encountered various villains and criminals of all sorts with varying degrees of success.