The Merge: Agents & Powers (OOC for chapter 2)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Neo-Paladin

Re: The Merge: Agents & Powers (Interest)

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Bladewind wrote: :arrow: The only issue I have with the powers is the limit on movement - For Water Walking, a limit of while moving I would say yes, but for Wall Crawling I'd think it would be a quirk at best. Neo has final say though
While moving makes perfect sense for Wall Crawling. It's a part of his speed - I always understood that speedsters move so fast they can ignore gravity given they have enough momentum. But there is nothing making their feet stick to walls so the second they stop moving, gravity should notice....
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Bladewind wrote:
MacynSnow wrote:Colonel Rick Flag Jr. Averaged PL 7.6
Build Review

:arrow: I'd like to see your point totals to make sure we align...
i know my math is right,i just can't seem to find my original PC sheet for him(i might have accidentally threw him away with the Christmas wrapping papers... :oops: )

:arrow: PL 7.6... Gonna have to make a decision there.... PL 7/105 or PL 8/90 (Looks like you went for the 7/105 though...)
i actually went for PL 7/105 but i kept geeting this odd-ball number so i hedged my bets...

:arrow: Although I applaud the investment in skills, pragmatically there is a lot of overlap in there...
i was working on "Modeling" him from all my Suicide Squad comics...i don't have the newer ones,just the Classic Run,so i work with what i got...

:arrow: Lip Reading should be a Language (Advantage) (Cost wise, its the same...) That's how I am recording for now on my copy of your sheet.
I completely trust you with doing that... :D

:arrow: My first instinct is, Colonel with no Presence/ Charisma... but I like !
The Good Col. perfer's(?) to lead by example...and he DOES have some baggage issues... :)

:arrow: I think you used the wrong Attribute for Ranged Attack - I get +12 (which breaks caps with Damage 5 weapons...
i can always drop the Ranged attack down to reach caps,if you need...

:arrow: I count 67 ranks but you seem to have paid for 69...
and we see where my fears always come in with "Hero Modeling",as i either go to far under or too far over... :cry:

:arrow: See my comments for Hannibal King on the light pistol, and using AE for the various guns, I come to 22 EP.
i could drop the number down if need be,but if i drop down Ranged Attack,i should still be OK...

:arrow: Needs some polish, but good start.
Thank You,I really appriciate it! :D
corrections to my original submission are now done&awaiting review!...
drothgery

Post by drothgery »

A slightly tweaked version ended up as part of a different Merge game, so should be considered the canonical one:
viewtopic.php?p=11663#p11663

PL6 version here: viewtopic.php?p=9948&sid=cc4aba189ce08e ... 8e12#p9956
Lt. Cmdr. Shannon Bradley - PL 7

Height: 170 cm Mass: 75 Kg
Hair: Black Eyes: Blue Skin: Fair Build: Athletic

Strength 0, Stamina 0, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 2, Intellect 4, Awareness 3, Presence 3

Advantages
Assessment, Connected*, Contacts*, Languages 1*, Minion 6, Skill Mastery: Investigation, Skill Mastery: Technology, Taunt, Teamwork

* Presence bonus advantages

Skills
Close Combat: martial arts 5 (+7), Deception 7 (+10), Insight 7 (+10), Investigation 8 (+12), Perception 7 (+10), Persuasion 7 (+10), Ranged Combat: Honorverse firearms 5 (+7), Stealth 7 (+9), Technology 7 (+11)

Powers
Intelligence Mincomp (Easily Removable)
. . Analytics: Quickness 5 (Perform routine tasks in -5 time ranks; Limited to One Task: Investigating, Notes: 2pp)
. . Aura Reader: Senses 2 (Tracking: "scent" 2: full speed, Notes: tracks airborne traces of genetic material; 2pp)
Light Tactical Armor (Removable)
. . Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 14 (Traits: Fortitude +6 (+7), Dodge +4 (+7), Parry +4 (+7), Notes: 14pp)
. . Protection: Protection 7 (+7 Toughness, Notes: 7pp)
Prolong: Immunity 1 (Aging, Notes: 3rd-gen prolong recipients will live to ~300 before dying of old age; 1pp)
Pulser: Damage 7 [Ballistic] (Easily Removable, DC 22; Increased Range: ranged, Multiattack, Notes: 13pp)
Treecat Bond: Mental Communication 2 (Limited: Emotional content and images only, Limited 2: Only with Sherlock, Notes: 2pp)

Offense
Initiative +2
Grab, +2 (DC Spec 10)
Pulser: Damage 7, +7 (DC 22)
Throw, +2 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +7 (DC 15)

Complications
Motivation: Patriotism: Shannon is an officer in Royal Manticoran Navy's Office of Naval Intelligence, and a native of the planet Manticore. She's strongly motivated to help what's crossed over of the Star Empire surive in this strange merged universe.
Prejudice: Orangazitons that remind Shannon of the old People's Republic of Haven, the Solarian League, and/or the Mesan Alignment are deeply distrusted by her. She knows that individuals are not organizations, but this can give her problems.
Prejudice: As a third-generation prolong recipient in her late 40s, she looks like she's in her early 20s to humans who don't have prolong or something similar.
Relationship: Shannon is bonded to Sherlock, and will take extraordianry risks to protect him.

Languages
Manticoran English, Treecat Sign Language (ASL-based)

Defense
Dodge 7/3, Parry 7/3, Fortitude 7/1, Toughness 7, Will 7

Power Points
Abilities 32 + Powers 35 + Advantages 14 + Skills 20 (60 ranks) + Defenses 7 = 108

Background

Shannon Bradley was born on Manticore during the long build-up to the first Manticore-Haven war. She was assigned to the Office of Naval Intelligence upon graduating from the Manticoran Naval Academy on Saganami Island, and has served for 26 years in both field and desk analyst assignments.

She is one of the few RMN officers bonded to a treecat; she acquired Sherlock (or Looks Under Leaves to other treecats) during a ski trip to Sphinx early in her career.

Over the course of the Manticore-Haven wars, she lost many of her friends in the fighting, which has made her less than completely accepting of the recent peace, even knowing as much as anyone on Manticore about what led to the second war.

When the Merge interrupted Prince Roger's wedding, the (somewhat reduced) Star Empire of Manticore sent a delegation to Earth Prime to learn more about the universe they found themselves in. Shannon was assigned as a liaison officer to the DEO.
Sherlock - PL 7

Species: Sphinxian Treecat
Length: 70 cm (excluding tail) Mass: 10 Kg
Fur: Cream Eyes: Gray

Strength 0, Stamina 2, Agility 6, Dexterity 6, Fighting 5, Intellect 3, Awareness 5, Presence 0

Advantages
Defensive Roll 3, Fast Grab, Grabbing Finesse, Improved Critical: claws, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Languages 1, Move-by Action, Tracking, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Close Combat: claws 1 (+6), Insight 6 (+11), Investigation 6 (+9), Perception 6 (+11), Stealth 1 (+8)

Powers
Arboreal: Movement 2 (Wall-crawling 2: full speed; Limited: Cannot climb ceilings or perfectly smooth surfaces, Notes: 2 pp)
Tough Hide: Protection 1 (+1 Toughness)
Treecat Bond: Mental Communication 2 (Limited: Only emotions and images, Limited 2: Only with Shannon, Notes: 2pp)
Treecat Empathy: Mind Reading 6 (DC 16; Limited to Emotions, Notes: 6pp)
Treecat Size: Shrinking 1 (+1 Stealth; Innate; Permanent, Notes: Treecats are small; 3pp)
Treecat telepathy: Feature 1 (Notes: Treecats are full telepaths with other treecats, and possibly other telepaths; 1pp)

Offense
Initiative +10
Grab, +6 (DC Spec 16)
Throw, +6 (DC 15)
Treecat Empathy: Mind Reading 6 (DC Will 16)
Unarmed, +6 (DC 15)

Complications
Prejudice: Because Sphinxian treecats look like large, six-legged cats and can't speak human languages, humans from outside the Manticore binary system often don't realize they're fully sentient, tool-using creatures
Relationship: Sherlock is bonded to Shannon, and will take extraordianry risks to protect her.

Languages
Manticoran English (read & understand only), Treecat Sign (ASL)

Defense
Dodge 7, Parry 5, Fortitude 2, Toughness 6/3, Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 54 + Powers 15 + Advantages 12 + Skills 7 (20 ranks) + Defenses 2 = 90

Background: Even by treecat standards, Looks Under Leaves was an incredibly curious 'cat. He is considerably younger than his clanmate Laughs Brightly (aka Honor Harrington's Nimitz). His bondmate's interest in detective stories may have been what led her to name him Sherlock, but it seems to have been well deserved; he's been invaluable in much of her work.
Build note: I counted the bond between Shannon and Sherlock as Limited 2 mental communication because it only works between the two of them. And I just put Sherlock's telepathy with other treecats (and possibly other telepaths) as a feature as he's extremely unlikely to encounter another one in-game.

A few bullet points for how I envision the Honorverse in the Merge
- The Manticore Binary system and the systems associated with the Junction crossed over as of ~Roger & Rivka's wedding; as far as Manticore is aware, that's all of the Honorverse that has.
- This means large portions of the Grayson, Havenite, and Andermani navies are 'stranded' in the Merge Universe and cannot go home (as are some others, and a lot of diplomatic delegations)
- Unknown to Manticore at this time, Mannerheim and the systems associated with the Felix Junction (including Darius) have also crossed over, but are a long way (by Honorverse standards) from Manticore
- Beowulf & Gregor have formed a temporary (for now) association with the Star Empire of Manticore, with no Solarian League or Andermani Empire present

What's going on at the various Junction termini
- Beowulf is in the same position relative to Earth Prime that it was to Old Earth; ~40 light-years away, which is a fairly short trip with Honorverse hyperdrives
- Scouts from one version of the Star Wars Galactic Empire attempted to attack the Trevor's Star terminus. This was not one of that Empire's better ideas; it turns out Imperial Star Destroyers do not match up well with Invictus-class SD(P)s in normal space (though the Imperials have better hyperdrives).
- The Hennesy (which in the regular Honorverse leads to Erewhon via the Phoenix Junction) terminus is near Vulcan; the Star Empire has established very wary friendly relations with the Federation, but the Federation has a lot of resonances with the old People's Republic of Haven and with the Solarian League in Manticoran minds
- What's beyond the Gregor, Lynx, Matapan, and Basilisk termini is TBD
Last edited by drothgery on Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:14 am, edited 12 times in total.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

You've been added to the submissions list... working my way through the list one by one... still plan to be done by tomorrow night.
I may or not paste comments tonight, but will have them done by tomorrow...
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Shadow13

Post by Shadow13 »

Bladewind wrote: :arrow: Your building skill has definitely improved with time ! Just a cursory glance shows a distinct lack of the issues that used to creep up in your builds. I also note a much stronger background built into the character with your advantages and choices in skills.
:arrow: The only issue I have with the powers is the limit on movement - For Water Walking, a limit of while moving I would say yes, but for Wall Crawling I'd think it would be a quirk at best. Neo has final say though
:arrow: Semantics... but I would trade the ranks in Protection to Defensive Roll.
:arrow: Does he need the Temper Complication? I find those to be the ones that sow disharmony amongst players...
Bladewind,

The complication list isn't done yet
Here is the shirt version, I will expand when I get a time and how they apply to the build.

Patriotism
Semper Fi Marine motto for always faithful.
He served in a organization that has been winning impossible situations since 1775.

Responsibility
He is able to serve in a team again. He is accountable for himself, the team and the success of the mission.

Flashbacks
It is one thing to read about war and another to fight one. The real world is no longer real since the merge. Magic, monsters, aliens and capes oh my. He survived a battle with otherworldly forces that wounded him, others and killed a few. These scars will remain.

Temper
Everything is too slow now. The curse of a speedster is where you think and react faster than the people around you. While Barry seems to handle it well Impulse and Quicksilver are examples of why a speedster can get frustrated with slow people around them.

While some speedsters roll with a punch to soak damage others have fast healing the negates damage.

So 17 pts left and maybe build some sort of rapid strike array or maybe enhanced strength?
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Neo-Paladin wrote:Hide in Plain Sight...no, sorry. It's got nothing to do with your character's presence but with agility and skill. If it's a result of the vampiric element, it's best suited as a part of his powers via enhanced advantage. Also, fearless is still nixed.

Firearms as a broad skill is ok. We are still talking about comic book characters here...

I am okay with Bladewind's rulings on the equipment.
After rewatching the movie today, I did some tweaking with both BW and Neo comments in mind.

1) Fixed the Advantages and dropped Assessment in favor or Taunt, Suited the Wiseass side of the character better.
2) As BW suggested dropped Hannibal's combat skills a tad and Toughened him up suiting his brawling style.

3) I cut back on the arsenal but would like to come up with a variable descriptor for his Handgun and Knife. Ammo, Blades, Brass knuckles to take advantage of an opponent weaknesses, Silver bullets for werewolves, Wood stakes for vamps, lead pipes for Daxamites ;)

Any further thoughts especially on making the math affordable for his two-fisted pistols would be great
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

drothgery wrote: Lt. Cmdr. Shannon Bradley - PL 7
A few bullet points for how I envision the Honorverse in the Merge
- The Manticore Binary system and the systems associated with the Junction crossed over as of ~Roger & Rivka's wedding; as far as Manticore is aware, that's all of the Honorverse that has.
- This means large portions of the Grayson, Havenite, and Andermani navies are 'stranded' in the Merge Universe and cannot go home (as are some others, and a lot of diplomatic delegations)
- Unknown to Manticore at this time, Mannerheim and the systems associated with the Felix Junction (including Darius) have also crossed over, but are a long way (by Honorverse standards) from Manticore
- Beowulf & Gregor have formed a temporary (for now) association with the Star Empire, with no Solarian League or Andermani Empire present

What's going on at the various Junction termini
- Beowulf is in the same position relative to Earth Prime that it was to Old Earth; ~40 light-years away, which is a fairly short trip with Honorverse hyperdrives
- Scouts from one version of the Star Wars Galactic Empire attempted to attack the Trevor's Star terminus. This was not one of that Empire's better ideas; it turns out Imperial Star Destroyers do not match up well with Invictus-class SD(P)s in normal space (though the Imperials have better hyperdrives).
- The Hennesy (which in the regular Honorverse leads to Erewhon via the Phoenix Junction) terminus is near Vulcan; the Star Empire has established very wary friendly relations with the Federation, but the Federation has a lot of resonances with the old People's Republic of Haven and with the Solarian League in Manticoran minds
- What's beyond the Gregor, Lynx, Matapan, and Basilisk termini is TBD
Do you have any links to source material? Wikis or anything? I am very curious on this one...
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
drothgery

Post by drothgery »

Bladewind wrote:Do you have any links to source material? Wikis or anything? I am very curious on this one...
Although it's not always completely accurate, there's an Honorverse wiki at http://honorverse.wikia.com
If you've got a lot of time, you can get (perfectly legal) ebooks of all but the last few novels and short story collections at http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/ from the Mission of Honor CD. The novels after that overlap quite a bit in the time line; the event I'm positing as the time of the Merge in the Honorverse is shortly after the end of Mission of Honor.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Thanks !
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Star Wars space ships would be toast if they encountered the current RMN. Matter of fact Star Trek ships wouldn't fare well either. It's the difference in the focus of the source material. Space Operas are fun and great for RP, but they have to take a back seat to dedicated Military Science Fiction. It's not over the top crazy uber science fiction stuff either. Weber is a military author first and foremost. IMO the biggest leaps of believability taken is in the gravity wave and miniaturization (small not Tony Stark small) technology and given leaps in the size of computers from 1950 to 2010 the second is barely a leap at all. :)

Given the Manticore education system, I say five years of solid relations with the Federation and a chance to integrate technologies and the Borg, Necrons and the Tyranids better go find another galaxy to mess with. (PS: Jedi would love the Manticore culture)

I'm a huge fan of the Honorverse :D
drothgery

Post by drothgery »

StarGuard wrote:Given the Manticore education system, I say five years of solid relations with the Federation and a chance to integrate technologies and the Borg, Necrons and the Tyranids better go find another galaxy to mess with.
Of course, that's assuming the Alignment can't get their tendrils as deeply into the Federation as they did into the League (and I think I'd posit that Albrecht Detweiller was on Darius rather than Mesa at the time of the Merge even if it's messing with cannon timelines) ...
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Great thing about timelines... The Merge took place at specific points, it can ignore or accept timelines as it sees fit. That`s why there`s a Satele Shan (Old Republic) and a Mara Jade (post RotJ) available, or even in the PCs... Post Season 1 Barry Allen and mid-season 2 Supergirl...

So saying that such and such character was between movies and on a planet where he might not have been is completely acceptable.

@drothgery, if NeoPaladin chooses your character, I`d invite you to do a small write-up (nothing too fancy) akin to what I did for Reboot in the setting thread. I`ll link it to the Table of Contents. The character sheet link in my sig points to that thread. (Heck, I`d invite you to write it up either way...)

BTW: Forgot I was working today... my build reviews will resume this evening.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Build Review
kirinke wrote:Well, here's my first submission
Aislynn Finnigan - PL 6/120PP
:arrow: Slightly confused about the seeming double post of most of your sheet... :D
:arrow: Can we get a running total for your point expenditure, you don't seem to have subtotals on everything and I want to make sure I balance with you.
:arrow: Your Saves total 13 for me, not 14
:arrow: Don't get your application of Shapeable on Aerokinesis...
:arrow: Why not make Flight and the Air Bending Powers Dynamic? Just a thought if you were looking to free up a point or two...
:arrow: What on Earth does Air Awareness do for you? Maybe an Analytical Detection Power is more suitable - giving you precise readings on Wind Speed, Wind Direction...
:arrow: Blessings of the Wind... Not sure how comfortable I am with Comprehend being part of that array, but I can't say it doesn't work... Speak All and Be Understood is kind of redundant though. What is the Communicate in that slot? Communicate with Spirits?
:arrow: You can detect spirits and ghosts but can't see them... Dimensional Hearing and Sight (Limited to seeing spirits and Ghosts) would be a good choice if you found the points.
:arrow: Not sure you need Limited Degree in your Wind Snake, without it I calculate it still fitting within the slot...
:arrow: I come to a total of 118 points - Abilities 28 + Powers 47 + Advantages 12 + Skills 18 + Defenses 13 = Total 118
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Hit me during the day... I'm feeling like crap - throat ache, cough... I wanted to finish my initial reviews and respond to comments on those... but can't focus. Need to rest...

@Starguard - regarding the double guns, I think I did my math using light pistols (Ranged Damage 3) instead of heavy (Ranged Damage 4) each...
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Build Review
One more before I crash... breaking my reverse Alphabetical by Player path though...
EnigmaticOne wrote:-Background and picture to come-
Agent Anton Burgundy
:arrow: Looking forward to background and picture.
:arrow: I take it this is a native to this Earth, pre-Merge?
:arrow: I don't see the bonus advantages from your Presence.
:arrow: I'd like to call NeoPaladin's attention to the Variable Equipment Array (See Powers). Mathematically sound, doesn't seem too game-breaking...
:arrow: Your math is solid.